12/18 | Georgia St | 2:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Re: 12/18 | Georgia St | 2:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

How do D1 basketball players miss this many layups? I don’t understand.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jesus fucking christ
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

Our big men have no moves under the basket. Zero offensive knowledge down low. Watching any and all Drew Timme games should be mandatory.
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

We just do t have the dudes. A zone shouldn’t do this to a well coached team.
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

UGLY
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Bad loss.
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

We go as far as Ish goes?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Backroads wrote: 1 year ago We go as far as Ish goes?
I officially promote Bray as our best player.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Nice Three by Bassey at buzzer!
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

We'll be good when we're good, That is not this year, now or in March.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Dear lord did we miss Bilau, feel like Samb and Tchikou are scared of contact or is it just me
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
We need them both to play well for us to win because margin to win is very thin right now.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Dear lord did we miss Bilau, feel like Samb and Tchikou are scared of contact or is it just me
They’re soft
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

You can't even point out a mistake because there were too many of them.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
We need them both to play well for us to win because margin to win is very thin right now.
Yeah - We're basically only in games if Leggett and Freeman are scoring 15+ each, because it's a pleasant surprise if anyone else scores more than 10 points in a game. Outside of them, Carey is maybe the only one who can create his own shot - not without committing turnovers as a side effect - and nobody else is guaranteed to hit a shot if left open. I think some of the guys on our roster beyond Leggett and Freeman can be rotation players on a good team, but we just need more high end / high ceiling talent on the roster.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

One good thing from this game for me was the play of Weston. Maybe (hopefully) he gets more minutes going forward.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Kinda surprised at the doom n gloom. For 30 minutes we had a decently dynamic offense. No Bilau is a killer for this team - we are left with 2 very green big men. Tchikou will be good in time he needs 10-15 pounds of muscle in the off-season. Weston showed something in first half. This was always going to be a tough W for this team.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Kinda surprised at the doom n gloom. For 30 minutes we had a decently dynamic offense. No Bilau is a killer for this team - we are left with 2 very green big men. Tchikou will be good in time he needs 10-15 pounds of muscle in the off-season. Weston showed something in first half. This was always going to be a tough W for this team.
It's the inconsistency that makes this team so frustrating. We went on an 11-0 run in the first half and looked unbeatable. From that point we were outscored by 20.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Kinda surprised at the doom n gloom. For 30 minutes we had a decently dynamic offense. No Bilau is a killer for this team - we are left with 2 very green big men. Tchikou will be good in time he needs 10-15 pounds of muscle in the off-season. Weston showed something in first half. This was always going to be a tough W for this team.
I kinda think we win if Bilau plays
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago
It's the inconsistency that makes this team so frustrating. We went on an 11-0 run in the first half and looked unbeatable. From that point we were outscored by 20.
Yes but teams that aren’t good are inconsistent.
We aren’t good yet.
But we are getting better.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I thought this was a brutal loss. They had momentum and just choked it away. There are some players here who need to be upgraded big time.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I’m totally confused on what people expected. We are very young and very inconsistent. We played a good team today on the road and some are saying it’s a bad loss. We were projected to lose!

You’re not going to see this team play great basketball for 40 minutes this season.

I love the way Weston rebounds and he had some great defensive possessions today.

Tchikou is raw. He’s athletic but he’s raw. Once he gets stronger he’ll be able to finish more. I thought he looked much better in the second half.

Ish had a bad game.

Bray had some fantastic moments

Malik needs to be better. Finish the bunnies

We will be good when we’re good
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago
Yes but teams that aren’t good are inconsistent.
We aren’t good yet.
But we are getting better.
Yes we are!

Most of that first half was probably the best I've seen our offense look and we were without Bilau.

We also can't forget we are exceptionally young and inexperienced. Carey, Martin and Leggett are the only players with multiple seasons worth of D1 experience.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Not sure how you can spin losing a 12 point lead to lose by 9 (by pure luck it wasn’t 12) in any way positive. Young team or not that is a near epic collapse. Where did the team that was up 12 go?
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I didn't fully grasp how far our program had fallen until I read comments that blowing an 11-point lead is progress. This is gonna be a long season. Like the song goes: "Been Down So Long Looks Like Up To Me."
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

My slow and steady growth theme took a large step back today, not sideways but backward. Question, where would this Georgia State team stack up in A-10 lower middle tier?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago I didn't fully grasp how far our program had fallen until I read comments that blowing an 11-point lead is progress. This is gonna be a long season. Like the song goes: "Been Down So Long Looks Like Up To Me."
Well we had a 12 point lead without Bilau and Leggett not providing anything!

#moralvictories
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

We were underdogs on the road so, I am not surprised we lost. However, very frustrated with how we lost.

GSU played well in the second half but we had two bad stretches (sloppy with the ball, O went stagnant and D couldn’t prevent runs) that did us in: the last 7 minutes of the first half and the last 5 minutes of the game.

What makes it even more frustrating is that we had flipped it to a winnable road game against a solid team until the last 5 minutes before fumbling it away (granted, GSU hit some daggers too).

Just damn frustrating. I’d really like to see them come out a put a consistent whipping on Milwaukee to shake this frustration.

Edit: Overall, we have improved on O with the D still a ways to go against better teams (although, I do think the D would have been better today with a healthy Bilau but, thems the breaks).
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Don’t expect Bilau back anytime soon.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

That’s a bummer. He was making strides. Feel bad for the young man. I hope it isn’t a surgical level injury.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I hope we never have to do this rebuild new coach BS ever again. It is difficult.
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

No depth no experience going to take a while like I've said many times before. We are a couple years away, and dont have the resources to get good any sooner. Archie will have his toughest job yet and I'm sure he knows it. But he will do it.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago No depth no experience going to take a while like I've said many times before. We are a couple years away, and dont have the resources to get good any sooner. Archie will have his toughest job yet and I'm sure he knows it. But he will do it.
What resources don't we have? Please explain.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I’m assuming he means NIL money to “pay” the needed players
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's going to take big bucks to bring in enough talent to play in the deep end of the pool when it comes to recruiting. To the highest bidders go the spoils with the NIL now. Archie is going to have hit some home runs with future recruits
Just the new reality in college hoops. Just because Archie is making a lot of money doesn't promise a thing. We can't compare to what UConn is doing.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Does this mean the sponsors who take up the screens during free throws need to up the cash for recruits or else lose their obnoxious ads?
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Wow I go to my daughter’s Christmas pageant at church and come home to see we had a horrible 2nd half :(
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Don’t expect Bilau back anytime soon.
You know this for sure or just guessing?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Our boosters are going to have to step up their game, big time to help pay for recruits...
I'm sure Dan appreciates their deep pocketed boosters!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Yeah, instead of advertising, the sponsors should be putting in NIL.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Oh geez now we’re losing bc of NIL. Smdh
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This NIL thing is unfortunate as in my small sample size of friends and boosters I know…they are not onboard with it and think the whole thing feels slimy. BTW, this group is not only URI fans/boosters, I actually have friends that support other teams believe or not 😁
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It’s overblown. Every A10 school has a collective to varying degrees. No one in the A10 is buying players.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Do we always have to be late to the game? Yes.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Do we always have to be late to the game? Yes.
sure, why not?
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Not sure how you can spin losing a 12 point lead to lose by 9 (by pure luck it wasn’t 12) in any way positive. Young team or not that is a near epic collapse. Where did the team that was up 12 go?

they went bye bye when They faced the 1-3-1 zone. Looked as if they never faced a 1-3-1 which is probably true. Thought they would do better against it in second half. Obviously, not the case. 1-3-1 usually give open corner shots, Certainly not the case today! Why?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

This game is what our team is this season, no consistency.
Actually, much more bad than good.
I didn't expect a victory today, so I am not surprised, but yeah disappointed.

If our wings and guards as a collective group can't carry this team and dominate, we are in big trouble.
Also, we need to play almost error free in order to win.

Our frontcourt currently is just Alex and Samb both very raw and lack toughness.
Bilau injured, Rory not playing, and Foumena redshirting, so we have zero depth.

Even though no A10 team has looked dominant or capable of separating themself, we will struggle to get out of the very bottom tier.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Fwiw…rhody fb opens the 23 season at gsu.
Their stadium is the old braves stadium but cut in half.
And before that it was the olympic track stadium.
The OLD braves stadium is now a parking lot there,
with a sign where Aaron’s 715th landed.
I’m gonna look into going.
The FBS games are usually fun, and I couldn’t get to
Pitt this year.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I’m totally confused on what people expected. We are very young and very inconsistent. We played a good team today on the road and some are saying it’s a bad loss. We were projected to lose!

You’re not going to see this team play great basketball for 40 minutes this season.

I love the way Weston rebounds and he had some great defensive possessions today.

Tchikou is raw. He’s athletic but he’s raw. Once he gets stronger he’ll be able to finish more. I thought he looked much better in the second half.

Ish had a bad game.

They played a good team?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I’m totally confused on what people expected. We are very young and very inconsistent. We played a good team today on the road and some are saying it’s a bad loss. We were projected to lose!

Ish had a bad game.

They played a good team?
They played a bad team?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING