11/27 | Boston College | 12:00PM (ACC Network)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Re: 11/27 | Boston College | 12:00PM (ACC Network)

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago What?!?
I need a sarcasm font.
That was for dc, not you 916.
Ahh ok np
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

1. That is a game we need to learn to win, by the end of the season we better be there.

2. That BC team is pathetic for an ACC school. They are a mid-tier A10 team at best.

3. For anyone questioning the difference between this year and last, last year we had multiple guys with years in the program last year and were getting similar results. At least there is hope that the new guys can improve.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago 1. That is a game we need to learn to win, by the end of the season we better be there.

2. That BC team is pathetic for an ACC school. They are a mid-tier A10 team at best.

3. For anyone questioning the difference between this year and last, last year we had multiple guys with years in the program last year and were getting similar results. At least there is hope that the new guys can improve.
problem is some are still on the team.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago 1. That is a game we need to learn to win, by the end of the season we better be there.

problem is some are still on the team.
Not many, Samb cannot count, Martin and Carey are gone after this year. Carey did not play today. It is really a much different team.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Our best player missed 3/4 free throws in the last minute. Shit happens.

St Louis missed 10 2nd half free throws and choked a game away.

It happens.

This OOC isn’t about W/L. Unlike sad pretend-adult with burner accounts, Archie didn’t inherit a championship program with multiple all-conference selections and leadership with NCAA experience.

He inherited a trainwreck courtesy of Dave Cox.

We’re onto the Friars.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Yes, we have had some players be studs from day one. But we have had plenty of players that needed time to develop and would have random good and bad games.

Here are some stats of players in their first 7 games as D1 players.
Jarvis Garret averaged 3 ppg a game
Jeff Dowtin averaged 2 ppg and 0 ast
Cyril averaged 2.4 pts and 2.7 rebounds
Will Daniels averaged 4 ppg 3 rebounds
Seawright averaged 3 ppg and 2 rebounds
Keith Cothran avg 5 ppg
Ulmer averaged 6 ppg
Hassan averaged 3.5 ppg and 1.5 rebounds
Tyrese Martin 4.6 ppg
Toppin 6 ppg

Delroy James averaged 3 pts during his freshman year.

Andre Berry didn't see real minutes until his senior year.

Did we give up on all of them because they weren't dominating from day one? Nope. I think all of those players ended up being pretty good at Rhody.

Lou looked like our best player against Stony Brook
Weston had a double-double against the best team we've played in Kansas St. Scored 9 against a very strong Tulane team.
Bray is an absolute stud with back to back 21 pt games.
Tchikou scored 8 and 7 in his first two games.
Bilau has looked solid after not playing or practicing.
Rory had 8 and 7 against Illinois St.

Listen, I don't like losing either, but I will not overreact. What I see right now is a very raw team that will continue to get better. Connor won't be the only shooter we bring in next season.
This is a very reasonable take on the current team. We need Bilau and Tchikou stepping up on offense. We need guys making free throws. All of that needs to improve.
Thanks for doing the research, I feel slightly better. I had hope going into the Cayman tournament, but to see such regression from most of the team has been unfortunate…as freeman emerged others stepped back. Most have been showing little life for the last few games. I wonder if Martins ankle is still bothering him because he has not been the same since rolling it.
What regression?

That team out there today was still way better than we were before the cayman islands.

Literally like a layup or two away from winning.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody72 post
1 year ago
It has been a long time since I have started a new thread, but I feel that we need to discuss the future of David Cox as our basketball coach NOW. I truly believe that David Cox will become a great college basketball coach and now is the time to secure him as URI's coach when a more lucrative contract from URI would interest him and stabilize program leadership. Don't wait until David is a hot commodity and other schools outbid us for his services. Also, I believe that now is the time that a mutually beneficial contract can be reached that will keep him as URI's coach when he becomes successful, something that has plagued URI for decades. David possesses the characteristics of great basketball coaches. He is smart, a leader, a role model with terrific interpersonal skills, a proven recruiter and a person that I project will develop players and build a strong program. The players he has recruited are high quality individuals. Now is the time for us to get behind David and push the administration to support URI basketball.

It takes a unique combination of stupidity and masochism to continue posting here after such an egregiously misguided take.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

just finished watching the dvr of the game

Winnable and disappointed we lost (obviously)

These losses disgust me and put knots in my stomach

Need more horses to put the ball in the hoop

Like blue man said - onto PC and hopefully we get more balanced scoring
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

One fallacy is that David Cox was a great recruiter. I think that idea died in his first season when his supposedly best recruited class in the A-10 turned out to be a big bust. But more important and here I speak from the experience of being in small meetings with him on three occasions, two of which took place under Hurley, and once as head coach, and in all cases he came across as intolerant when facing tough questions and showed the lack of an open mind to suggestion. Being robotic in demeanor and closed minded are not good vibes for bold, innovative ideas about the game. And his coaching performance showed that
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago The band leaders on this board have been overrating the players Archie recruiting and long-game strategy pf freshman over transders as well as Archie's ability to change water into fine wine. With transferring becoming so easy in college basketball, the long game you say Archie is playing is fool's gold and the band leaders are fools.
Can we please limit the morons to one at a time?
Done. Idk what kind of person uses two separate accounts to shitpost but neither of them will work here anymore.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago The band leaders on this board have been overrating the players Archie recruiting and long-game strategy pf freshman over transders as well as Archie's ability to change water into fine wine. With transferring becoming so easy in college basketball, the long game you say Archie is playing is fool's gold and the band leaders are fools.
Done. Idk what kind of person uses two separate accounts to shitpost but neither of them will work here anymore.
Are you saying you have dropped Rhody72 from KB?
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago One fallacy is that David Cox was a great recruiter. I think that idea died in his first season when his supposedly best recruited class in the A-10 turned out to be a big bust. But more important and here I speak from the experience of being in small meetings with him on three occasions, two of which took place under Hurley, and once as head coach, and in all cases he came across as intolerant when facing tough questions and showed the lack of an open mind to suggestion. Being robotic in demeanor and closed minded are not good vibes for bold, innovative ideas about the game. And his coaching performance showed that
I think David Cox was a good recruiter when he had Dan Hurley to sell as a head coach. Different ballgame when you have to sell yourself to a recruit with no track record as a head coach.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Shinze88 wrote: 1 year ago
Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago One fallacy is that David Cox was a great recruiter. I think that idea died in his first season when his supposedly best recruited class in the A-10 turned out to be a big bust. But more important and here I speak from the experience of being in small meetings with him on three occasions, two of which took place under Hurley, and once as head coach, and in all cases he came across as intolerant when facing tough questions and showed the lack of an open mind to suggestion. Being robotic in demeanor and closed minded are not good vibes for bold, innovative ideas about the game. And his coaching performance showed that
I think David Cox was a good recruiter when he had Dan Hurley to sell as a head coach. Different ballgame when you have to sell yourself to a recruit with no track record as a head coach.
Can we just stop this - DC brought in a lot of really talented players. Unfortunately he could not meld them into a good team. Toppin, Martin, Ish, the Mitchell twins, Carey, Samb, and more. These are good players and should have been an A10 team competing near the top of the league.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Shinze88 wrote: 1 year ago This team is like night and day compared to the squad that took the floor for Quinnipiac. Guys seem to be figuring out their roles and are responding. Really like the potential of the front court. A little concerned about Martin and Weston, one of those 2 guys needs to step up and give some offense, Martin gets almost every shot blocked and at 6' 6" he seems to have no position. Same with Weston, not sure if he's still slow from being hurt but so far he's been meh. They are getting better every game and if they can clean up the turnovers, this team will be a threat come conference play. Love what I'm seeing so far from Archie. Go Rams.
We need Martin/Weston to hit the open threes when they are there. Martin missed a few wide open looks. I don’t know what is in the water at Rhody because I think he could be a decent shooter.

Also, fwiw, watching Rory in warmups taking 3s and it is not what as advertised. Too strong on most shots and very little touch. Not sure if that is nerves or adjusting to playing in bigger gyms. Nice to see Bassy hit a three, my 11 year old son told me after he hit it that it was the worst shot go in that he ever saw, zero arc, tough to disagree. Really need to hire a dedicated shooting coach for this team over the summer.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah I dislike 72 but it’s nice to have one court jester in here. TJ/DC are frauds.

72 was here before Cox even came I believe. So it’s definitely someone different than our simple member of the cox family.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yeah I dislike 72 but it’s nice to have one court jester in here. TJ/DC are frauds.

72 was here before Cox even came I believe. So it’s definitely someone different than our simple member of the cox family.
72's been around since the ProJo board days, but they've gone off the rails the last several years
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Mattrams94
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Mattrams94 »

I think this team has improved drastically since the first game like Shinze said. I have seen the biggest improvement out of Brayon as he looks like a completely different player. I think what we are all blind to is that although our bigs our young, they simply are not good right now. Rory cannot really grab the ball and bilau looks extremely raw ( and yes I know he has not really practiced) I like samb also but it seems like he needs to put on more muscle to battle in the paint.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago
Shinze88 wrote: 1 year ago This team is like night and day compared to the squad that took the floor for Quinnipiac. Guys seem to be figuring out their roles and are responding. Really like the potential of the front court. A little concerned about Martin and Weston, one of those 2 guys needs to step up and give some offense, Martin gets almost every shot blocked and at 6' 6" he seems to have no position. Same with Weston, not sure if he's still slow from being hurt but so far he's been meh. They are getting better every game and if they can clean up the turnovers, this team will be a threat come conference play. Love what I'm seeing so far from Archie. Go Rams.
We need Martin/Weston to hit the open threes when they are there. Martin missed a few wide open looks. I don’t know what is in the water at Rhody because I think he could be a decent shooter.

Also, fwiw, watching Rory in warmups taking 3s and it is not what as advertised. Too strong on most shots and very little touch. Not sure if that is nerves or adjusting to playing in bigger gyms. Nice to see Bassy hit a three, my 11 year old son told me after he hit it that it was the worst shot go in that he ever saw, zero arc, tough to disagree. Really need to hire a dedicated shooting coach for this team over the summer.
Good potential reasons for Rory’s shooting, RhodyLaw. It also could be he still needs to adjust, as well, to his added strength from weights training emphasized in college.

He will adjust to all the differences eventually. He’s still very early in his college career.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I've also noticed Martin gets swatted like his brother would do to the opposition. If I was his coach, I would keep his ass about 6-7' from the basketball at all times. Thats his sweet spot. Little mid range pull up jumpers.
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

72's been around since the ProJo board days, but they've gone off the rails the last several years
Sorry for the confusion. R72’s status is unchanged. TJrams is now banned. If I had remembered DCrams had another account I would have banned it with his original before. R72 was never banned - I just didn’t explain clearly what I had done.

R72, for better or worse, is an actual URI fan (if we define that term somewhat broadly). He’d have to do something in direct violation of the board rules to get banned, just like anyone else. No URI fan will get banned or suspended just for having weird opinions. DCRams/Tjrams is a different category because he is not a URI fan and we don’t have to let non-URI fans come on here if their sole purpose is to shitpost and piss people off.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I've also noticed Martin gets swatted like his brother would do to the opposition. If I was his coach, I would keep his ass about 6-7' from the basketball at all times. Thats his sweet spot. Little mid range pull up jumpers.
Martin definitely didn’t finish at Conte Sunday. Seems to have no lift at the moment, perhaps lingering injury? However MAL is a elite defender and blocked multiple Malik layups.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago

Good potential reasons for Rory’s shooting, RhodyLaw. It also could be he still needs to adjust, as well, to his added strength from weights training emphasized in college.

He will adjust to all the differences eventually. He’s still very early in his college career.
I for one will not be using the size of the gym as an excuse for poor shooting.

Come on now...
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Depth perception, 15. It’s a thing. But, he should be past that by now.

The trainer should send him to the optometrist to get his eyes checked, just in case. Whatever it takes. No
stone unturned. We need the kid hitting 3’s.

Heck, the way we shoot 3’s, I’d have hvac guys in the rafters checking for down drafts, have ushers making sure all exterior door at the RAC are shut during games to avoid cross breezes and have engineering students studying the RAC for optimum room temperature and barometric pressure for 3 point shooting arc.

We need all the help we can get. All hands on deck. This is no joking matter.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Depth perception, 15. It’s a thing. But, he should be past that by now.

The trainer should send him to the optometrist to get his eyes checked, just in case. Whatever it takes. No
stone unturned. We need the kid hitting 3’s.

Heck, the way we shoot 3’s, I’d have hvac guys in the rafters checking for down drafts, have ushers making sure all exterior door at the RAC are shut during games to avoid cross breezes and have engineering students studying the RAC for optimum room temperature and barometric pressure for 3 point shooting arc.

We need all the help we can get. All hands on deck. This is no joking matter.
It's a thing when teams play in football stadiums, not regular D1 gyms.

It's almost December. Been more than enough time.

Not an excuse at all.
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Nit pick away all you want at fan speculation on a fan board. The way we shoot 3’s as a team, I wouldn’t overlook anything to find a fix.

Heck, check for excessively sweaty palms. Get some talcum powder at the scorers table.

Looking at potential causes to fix a persistent problem - even if those potential causes stretch convention - are open to speculation for me on here. Excuses are for complainers, not problem solvers.

Once those potential causes are all exhausted, bring in a Priest to do an exorcism. Get Kyrie Irving to do his smoke trick around the court to ward off bad juju.

Or, just complain and wait until next year. Keep in mind, some here don’t have many next year’s left.

To each his own. Don’t ruin our fun speculation time between games.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Sorry for the confusion. R72’s status is unchanged. TJrams is now banned. If I had remembered DCrams had another account I would have banned it with his original before. R72 was never banned - I just didn’t explain clearly what I had done.

R72, for better or worse, is an actual URI fan (if we define that term somewhat broadly). He’d have to do something in direct violation of the board rules to get banned, just like anyone else. No URI fan will get banned or suspended just for having weird opinions. DCRams/Tjrams is a different category because he is not a URI fan and we don’t have to let non-URI fans come on here if their sole purpose is to shitpost and piss people off.
Reinstate him after we make the tournament again. 😏
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago

Because Archie decided to bring in young guys and develop them over a quick one year fix. I totally disagree that we don’t have talent. Bray was the best player on the floor. We’ve seen flashes from Lou, Weston, Bilau, Rory, and Tchikou. We haven’t even played 10 games and we already have negative posts like this one. I guess I was dumb to assume we would be more patient.
If memory serves me right, most of the best players we have had were pretty good right from the start. I cannot remember many stars that started out this poorly. There may be a decent player or two in this group, (outside freeman and Ish) but I’m not sure we have the next Rhody great and cornerstones to several NCAAs in this group.

I also thought the one good thing about the new transfer rules was you could get good fast and not have complete rebuilds.
Yes, we have had some players be studs from day one. But we have had plenty of players that needed time to develop and would have random good and bad games.

Here are some stats of players in their first 7 games as D1 players.
Jarvis Garret averaged 3 ppg a game
Jeff Dowtin averaged 2 ppg and 0 ast
Cyril averaged 2.4 pts and 2.7 rebounds
Will Daniels averaged 4 ppg 3 rebounds
Seawright averaged 3 ppg and 2 rebounds
Keith Cothran avg 5 ppg
Ulmer averaged 6 ppg
Hassan averaged 3.5 ppg and 1.5 rebounds
Tyrese Martin 4.6 ppg
Toppin 6 ppg

Delroy James averaged 3 pts during his freshman year.

Andre Berry didn't see real minutes until his senior year.

Did we give up on all of them because they weren't dominating from day one? Nope. I think all of those players ended up being pretty good at Rhody.

Lou looked like our best player against Stony Brook
Weston had a double-double against the best team we've played in Kansas St. Scored 9 against a very strong Tulane team.
Bray is an absolute stud with back to back 21 pt games.
Tchikou scored 8 and 7 in his first two games.
Bilau has looked solid after not playing or practicing.
Rory had 8 and 7 against Illinois St.

Listen, I don't like losing either, but I will not overreact. What I see right now is a very raw team that will continue to get better. Connor won't be the only shooter we bring in next season.
Just bumping this because it's great.

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah good call TP agree on all of this
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

I am curious as to whether anyone ordered tickets to the game directly from the BC ticket web site. I did. Actually made 2 orders, both confirmed on line, one Saturday night and one Sunday morning and did not receive emailed tickets from either attempt. My last try was with Ticket master and received the tickets immediately. BC refunded my purchases at their ticket window during at halftime. Did anyone else have this problem?

I also have to say, that imo, the Ryan center has it all over Conte Forum.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago I am curious as to whether anyone ordered tickets to the game directly from the BC ticket web site. I did. Actually made 2 orders, both confirmed on line, one Saturday night and one Sunday morning and did not receive emailed tickets from either attempt. My last try was with Ticket master and received the tickets immediately. BC refunded my purchases at their ticket window during at halftime. Did anyone else have this problem?

I bought mine from BC. Got the tix immediately. NO SERVICE CHARGE. Conte I thought was ok. I liked the fact the concourse had many displays of past fame and players. But it is also a hockey rink, so there's that. I liked the hot dogs, but their beer selection was lame. The Ryan Center is so much better as a venue for basketball, but the concessions for food is not great. Also, prior to tip off, all concessions at Conte are 50% off(not beers). That was nice.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago I also have to say, that imo, the Ryan center has it all over Conte Forum.
Conte was considered quite nice when it first opened back in 1988. The school had previously been forced by the Big East to play its league games at the old Boston Garden where they typically struggled to draw (I used to go to many games as a good friend attended grad school there at the time). It was the first really large modern college basketball arena to be built on a New England campus. A on campus arena that sat 8,606 was a big deal for the region then. Many of my URI fan family and friends I took there for the 1992 NIT OT game were impressed and envious at the time. Newer larger campus arenas with more creature comfort amenities however have since been built with some that surpass its capacity and all that beat its amenities. Conte with quite a bit of bleacher seating and small concourses with limited bathrooms and concessions no longer looks as good. It is behind many other NE arenas and certainly behind all BC's ACC peers.

Newer and better New England on campus arenas
UConn Gampel Pavilion 1990 capacity 10,167 (orig cap was 8,241 but enlarged in 1996)
UMass Mullins Center 1993 capacity 9,493
URI Ryan Center 2002 capacity 7,657
BU Agganis Arena 2005 capacity 7,200 (basketball rarely played there now as it is mostly used for hockey)
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I also liked that since I'm a fan of the Bruins, and many players came from BC, to see the college recognize the players throughout the arena. But you know, D1 Hockey isn't a thing in New England.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I also liked that since I'm a fan of the Bruins, and many players came from BC, to see the college recognize the players throughout the arena. But you know, D1 Hockey isn't a thing in New England.
Mmmmmm, it is at Smith Hill…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I also liked that since I'm a fan of the Bruins, and many players came from BC, to see the college recognize the players throughout the arena. But you know, D1 Hockey isn't a thing in New England.
Crazy how URI has ice with almost as much capacity as Schneider. Plus a hockey club who won a National Championship.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Crazy how URI has ice with almost as much capacity as Schneider. Plus a hockey club who won a National Championship.
Blow out north wall of Boss is easy upgrade to push capacity to ECAC/Hockey East level.

Just need a fat cat to pony up the dough to do it after promoting both club teams to varsity.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

UConn is just finishing up a super nice brand new hockey arena on campus.

When I worked there in the late 80s (summer job with the landscaping dept.) the rink was an outdoor venue with barely any seating and basically a domed open-air shingles roof overhead.

Major upgrade for them and they have a good team as well.
Mobley was fouled.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Many of my URI fan family and friends I took there for the 1992 NIT OT game were impressed and envious at the time.
I was thinking about this game on Sunday. Rhody was (allegedly) GUARANTEED a home game if they won iirc.
They ended up, of course, in Utah...
Where Joe Mollicone had relocated (not making this up) and decided to attend the game.
What could go wrong?

TV cameras, Joe...that's what.

So he ended up being spotted and captured.

lmao
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago I am curious as to whether anyone ordered tickets to the game directly from the BC ticket web site. I did. Actually made 2 orders, both confirmed on line, one Saturday night and one Sunday morning and did not receive emailed tickets from either attempt. My last try was with Ticket master and received the tickets immediately. BC refunded my purchases at their ticket window during at halftime. Did anyone else have this problem?

I did and received the email no problem. Perhaps it went to either Spam or another folder? If you have gmail it may have gone to updates folder.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”