22-23 Starting Five

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 22-23 Starting Five

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Ramster, I know you and a couple of others think I may be a little too optimistic or high on Samb.
I do agree with Stevey that maybe Alex is our first option at the 4, but having Samb isn't a bad backup plan.
For some reason, I always had a good feeling about him.
When we were recruiting him and Geeter, I felt like Samb had more upside and glad we landed him.

He has impressed at DC Premier, one of the top prep programs.
All his coaches and PrepHoops had some great things to say about him.

Archie didn't see the twins as a fit here and after several summer practices with the team Ileri decided to move on. There is a reason why Archie wanted to stick with Samb, also giving him some praise.

Maybe it doesn't work out for him here, but I am not giving up hope at this point.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Ramster, I know you and a couple of others think I may be a little too optimistic or high on Samb.
I do agree with Stevey that maybe Alex is our first option at the 4, but having Samb isn't a bad backup plan.
When we were recruiting him and Geeter, I felt like Samb had more upside and glad we landed him.

Archie didn't see the twins as a fit here and after several summer practices with the team Ileri decided to move on. There is a reason why Archie wanted to stick with Samb, also giving him some praise.

Maybe it doesn't work out for him here, but I am not giving up hope at this point.
Maybe Archie is sand bagging regarding Samb. #PokerFaceArchie
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Ramster, I know you and a couple of others think I may be a little too optimistic or high on Samb.

Would that be considered Samb bagging?
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'd also add - if he plays tough in practice and he's a good student, and he's happy being here, well, he's probably worth rostering anyway. It's one less roster spot that churns, and there's never going to be enough minutes for guys 10 and beyond on the roster.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago ...
I'd also add - if he plays tough in practice and he's a good student, and he's happy being here, well, he's probably worth rostering anyway. It's one less roster spot that churns, and there's never going to be enough minutes for guys 10 and beyond on the roster.
As I posted weeks ago, if players who end up being 10-13 on the roster came here looking for playing time, they will leave. So losing 2-3 players per year through the portal will occur unless they have expectations you described for Samb. Even if they improve with time, Archie will be looking for better players.
NCAAs or Bust!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rothstein is at Bryant this morning, so I imagine he'll be in Kingston too. Look forward to his tweets.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Rothstein is at Bryant this morning, so I imagine he'll be in Kingston too. Look forward to his tweets.
Rothstein was also at PC yesterday.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Have you ever seen Samb play live?
Jersey, I think we would have seen something in the Blue Ribbon article if Samb had a role. Instead, he was the only returning player Archie didn't comment about. That is not a good sign.

From what I read, it sounds like Tchikou and Bilau will get the first crack at minutes in our frontcourt. Rory will have a role as well. It sounds like Foumena will need some time to develop.

If I had to guess, the odd man out is Samb. Based on Cox's track record, that doesn't surprise me. I don't see why Archie would bring on Bilau, Foumena, and Tchikou if he felt Samb would be a part of the rotation and one of the key pieces in our future. Taking commitments from KC and Adrian (I know he's not coming) makes me question Samb's role as well.

I hope he's great, but I think he's been recruited over.
Well yeah, and I can be totally wrong about Samb. I just remember the positives Archie said about him early on. Also he looked very athletic and had a nice shot during the summer practice sessions we saw. At this point we don’t know much about any of our bigs.
One of the worst moves, if not the worst, coaching decisions I saw Cox make was last season, PC Game, 1st half when he took both Mitchell’s out and put in Illeri. Croswell just killed us during a 4 minute span in which PC outscored us by 11 points - we lost by 14. As they say Teddy Ballgame. I was sitting amongst PC fans and none of us could believe the Illeri substitution. He was completely overmatched physically against the likes of Croswell, Watson, etc.

If Cox redshirted Samb because he had the Mitchell’s and Illeri then I have to question Samb’s ability or Cox’ redshirting judgement or both.

If Samb proves worthy this year, great, but I agree with Stevey, I think he has been recruited over.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Samb may have been recruited over, but Archie wanted him to stick. Also Samb didn’t participate in full practice until December. Mutually agreed to RS, his conditioning was also an issue.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But Archie wanted Samb to stick before he brought in other guys.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I think it's probably hard to know what Archie actually wanted, short of hooking him up to a lie detector. At the time he was hired, pretty much the whole roster had announced they were transferring or where hinting at it. Not counting walk-on level players, Archie had to recruit 8 guys for this year's roster. I kind of doubt he wanted that number to be 8+, so if Samb, Thomas, Martin and Leggett wanted to stick around, I doubt Archie tried to encourage them much to move on.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

With the average transfers per team 5.1 plus teams losing 2-4 to graduations, significant roster transformations are more the norm now than the exception.

Dan Hurley just added two freshmen to this years team in the past two weeks. It’s a new world.

Miller added 4 big men to the roster:

F-Samb - 6’8” 210

In addition:
C- Foumena 6’11” 235
F- Stewart 6’8” 230
F- Bilau 6’10” 235
F- Tchikou 6’11” 230

Wonder if Samb knew all those guys would be committing if he would he have stayed around? At any rate it’s simple now to transfer and be immediately eligible.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago With the average transfers per team 5.1 plus teams losing 2-4 to graduations, significant roster transformations are more the norm now than the exception.

Dan Hurley just added two freshmen to this years team in the past two weeks. It’s a new world.

F-Samb - 6’8” 210

In addition:
C- Foumena 6’11” 235
F- Stewart 6’8” 230
F- Bilau 6’10” 235
F- Tchikou 6’11” 230

Wonder if Samb knew all those guys would be committing if he would he have stayed around? At any rate it’s simple now to transfer and be immediately eligible.
Maybe he is confident in his ability to compete, we will see.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago With the average transfers per team 5.1 plus teams losing 2-4 to graduations, significant roster transformations are more the norm now than the exception.

F-Samb - 6’8” 210

In addition:
C- Foumena 6’11” 235
F- Stewart 6’8” 230
F- Bilau 6’10” 235
F- Tchikou 6’11” 230

Maybe so. You have consistently been high on him. I’ve never once seen him play. If he is as good as you think I’ve really got to question Cox for redshirting him last year when we really struggled with talent. SMH
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Not every athlete shy’s away from competition.

Speculation alert: Maybe Samb is one of them.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Even if the "new normal" is 5+, that's still quite a bit off from eight, or 10, which is what I think Archie had when I signed up. (He "officially" re-recruited Ish and Martin to stay, since they had both publicly declared an intent to transfer.) I'd also like to see what the average number of transfers is by different criteria - winning team vs. losing team, team with same head coach vs. different head coach - but I haven't seen a site with those kind of splits available to play around with. I have a strong suspicion that there aren't many winning teams with the same head coach having 5+ transfers, unless it's a situation like Wichita State.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Not every athlete shy’s away from competition.

Speculation alert: Maybe Samb is one of them.
The fact that Samb is still here under a new coaching change and had every opportunity to transfer penalty free tells me something.

He seems to be a very high character young man and a hard worker.

I think he welcomes competition.
He played for one of the top AAU teams, DC Premier.

Maybe he moves on after this season, time will tell.
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Rothstein is at Bryant this morning, so I imagine he'll be in Kingston too. Look forward to his tweets.
Rothstein was also at PC yesterday.
Rothstein at URI as I’m typing this message.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

F-Samb - 6’8” 210

In addition:
C- Foumena 6’11” 235
F- Stewart 6’8” 230
F- Bilau 6’10” 235
F- Tchikou 6’11” 230

Maybe so. You have consistently been high on him. I’ve never once seen him play. If he is as good as you think I’ve really got to question Cox for redshirting him last year when we really struggled with talent. SMH
Bc between the Mitchells and Walker there weren’t many big man minutes to be had. What did Illeri play 20 minutes all year? Even if he was hypothetically better than Illeri he wasn’t going to take minutes from Mekhi, Makhel and Twan for better or worse.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Gonna put everything in one place so we can discuss

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Bc between the Mitchells and Walker there weren’t many big man minutes to be had. What did Illeri play 20 minutes all year? Even if he was hypothetically better than Illeri he wasn’t going to take minutes from Mekhi, Makhel and Twan for better or worse.
Why not? All 3 of those big men underperformed. Walker really faded when given the starting spot and both Mitchell’s got benched when games counted the most.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Why not? All 3 of those big men underperformed. Walker really faded when given the starting spot and both Mitchell’s got benched when games counted the most.
Well, the way that the twins were used was just another flaw of Cox as a HC.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And Walker too. So if Cox could screw up the twins and Walker what kind of trust could there be to redshirt Samb. I just don’t see redshirting rarely work, especially in a team that was as terrible as last season with the 3 very underperforming guards and the poor performing big guys. I’m hearing good things about the transfer-in big men but nothing on Samb to date. I’ll be shocked if Samb is in the starting lineup this year as I’ve seen predicted but I’ve been shocked and wrong before.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

And Walker too. So if Cox could screw up the twins and Walker what kind of trust could there be to redshirt Samb. I just don’t see redshirting rarely work, especially in a team that was as terrible as last season with the 3 very underperforming guards and the poor performing big guys. I’m hearing good things about the transfer-in big men but nothing on Samb to date.
That's okay, But I am not as caught up on the whole RS thing as you.
Samb is still a freshman (eligibility wise), not saying that he will be a huge impact player immediately or ever.
I just liked him as recruit, they don't always work out.

I never felt he would be the best thing since sliced bread.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And Walker too. So if Cox could screw up the twins and Walker what kind of trust could there be to redshirt Samb. I just don’t see redshirting rarely work, especially in a team that was as terrible as last season with the 3 very underperforming guards and the poor performing big guys. I’m hearing good things about the transfer-in big men but nothing on Samb to date.
Samb is still a freshman (eligibility wise), not saying that he will be a huge impact player immediately or ever.

Sure you are. You often bring up redshirting, not just Samb. In this day and age of 1800 D1 Transfers per year nobody should redshirt. Just go where you will get playing time. Drop down a level or two if you have to but to just sit out on a team as bad as Cox has had the past 4 years? I wish Samb well but I think he got bad advice from Cox.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Sure you are. You often bring up redshirting, not just Samb. In this day and age of 1800 D1 Transfers per year nobody should redshirt. Just go where you will get playing time. Drop down a level or two if you have to but to just sit out on a team as bad as Cox has had the past 4 years? I wish Samb well but I think he got bad advice from Cox.
Many players RS every year and yes recently.
I still think that will continue, with rosters of 13 not every player will be happy with the minutes they will get and don't want to lose a year of eligibility.

Some young kids may even prefer going that route rather than spending an additional year at prep school.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Last season everyone knew Cox was going to be replaced and they were thinking about their future rather than playing team basketball. There was no commitment.
NCAAs or Bust!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Gonna put everything in one place so we can discuss

Hey Stevey, thanks for the Jon R Twitter posts. Looks like Jon is seeing a one big lineup early on. Although, could be two bigs if Martin is really 6’6. Hahaha

Good comments about Weston and the 6’8 freshman (damn, my memory is bad today …I just looked at the posts like 5 minutes ago. Ooph!)

He has Ish and Carey starting, too. They must really be taking to the Archie’s coaching. I will go with that more positive take versus the alternate…if you know what I mean.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Gonna put everything in one place so we can discuss

Hey Stevey, thanks for the Jon R Twitter posts. Looks like Jon is seeing a one big lineup early on. Although, could be two bigs if Martin is really 6’6. Hahaha

Good comments about Weston and the 6’8 freshman (damn, my memory is bad today …I just looked at the posts like 5 minutes ago. Ooph!)

He has Ish and Carey starting, too. They must really be taking to the Archie’s coaching. I will go with that more positive take versus the alternate…if you know what I mean.
Love Rothstein, nice to hear his reviews and sounds pretty promising
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 1 year ago

Love Rothstein, nice to hear his reviews and sounds pretty promising
Agree, Reef. I am not on Twitter so I really appreciate when the tweets are posted here.

I forgot to mention above that Jon also commented on Alex, too. The tweet has me looking forward to watching him early on to see how he does. Go Rhody!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Me thinks Jalen will be a most improved player, from what we have seen in the past…….looking forward to his run this season…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Remember that guy Obi Toppin? Yeah he was a redshirt.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Remember that guy Obi Toppin? Yeah he was a redshirt.
Ok, 1
And that’s before:
- 1800 transfers per year as compared to 350 per year when “remember that guy Obi Toppin” played
- NIL legal paying of players
- No 1-year sit out penalty for transfers

It’s a very different world today. Why redshirt when I can easily get immediate playing time at another school.

This SI article from last year predicts the impact of no-sit out transfer policy for FBS-FCS Football and D1Basketball.

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/04 ... basketball
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, the football game sucked. But on my way into the game, I saw the entire basketball team hanging out together, throwing the football around and playing cornhole. Nice to see them all bonding. Bray asked me if I wanted to throw the ball around, but I told him I have a bad shoulder. Nice kid. One thing I noticed is that Lou is a specimen. He looks very athletic and very strong. Archie said a few months ago that Lou isn't ready yet, but he certainly looks physically ready.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Yes, the football game sucked. But on my way into the game, I saw the entire basketball team hanging out together, throwing the football around and playing cornhole. Nice to see them all bonding. Bray asked me if I wanted to throw the ball around, but I told him I have a bad shoulder. Nice kid. One thing I noticed is that Lou is a specimen. He looks very athletic and very strong. Archie said a few months ago that Lou isn't ready yet, but he certainly looks physically ready.
I too enjoyed seeing the Basketball team at the game. Talked to several players.
I rind it hard to believe URI could go with a 4 guard line up as Rothstein and others have suggested when I see close up guys like Foumena, Stewart, Bilau and Tchikou. These guys are big and athletic. Just can't see how Foumena doesn't start or at least play a lot, Stewart as well. Unrelated to basketball but it was funny to watch Rory Stewart with his sunglasses on and Rhody girls flocking to him like bees to honey. He is popular with the cutest URI ladies.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

3 players starting from last years team definitely isn’t too exciting. We can talk about how much better Miller is than Cox which is true, but not sure anyone is winning too much with Martin, Casey and Leggett as starters. They all seem like role/bench players. I guess we will see
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Carey can start on an above average A10 team.

He’s so much more talented than Martin and Leggett and it’s not particularly close in my opinion.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
3 players starting from last years team definitely isn’t too exciting. We can talk about how much better Miller is than Cox which is true, but not sure anyone is winning too much with Martin, Casey and Leggett as starters. They all seem like role/bench players. I guess we will see
Not sure what you are expecting, but this is a transition year.
Initially this makes total sense.

Also, Archie will probably make several line-up changes as the season goes along.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

3 players starting from last years team definitely isn’t too exciting. We can talk about how much better Miller is than Cox which is true, but not sure anyone is winning too much with Martin, Casey, and Leggett as starters. They all seem like role/bench players. I guess we will see
Who knows what these players will look like under Archie? Ish had a tremendous first year, and everyone says Carey has taken another step after he looked much better last season. Malik Martin is the leader of this team, so he definitely should be starting.

Guys like Tchikou, Foumena, Weston, Rory, and Hutch have a higher upside than Martin and Ish, but you need to give Archie some time to develop these kids. It’s tough for players with zero D1 game experience to come in and start. I’m assuming the goal is to start with the vets, and we begin to see our younger talented players take over closer to A10 play.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree, and the URI Marketing Department and Ticket Sales have their hands full if Rothstein's predicted line up comes to fruition
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

3 players starting from last years team definitely isn’t too exciting. We can talk about how much better Miller is than Cox which is true, but not sure anyone is winning too much with Martin, Casey, and Leggett as starters. They all seem like role/bench players. I guess we will see
Who knows what these players will look like under Archie? Ish had a tremendous first year, and everyone says Carey has taken another step after he looked much better last season. Malik Martin is the leader of this team, so he definitely should be starting.

Guys like Tchikou, Foumena, Weston, Rory, and Hutch have a higher upside than Martin and Ish, but you need to give Archie some time to develop these kids. It’s tough for players with zero D1 game experience to come in and start. I’m assuming the goal is to start with the vets, and we begin to see our younger talented players take over closer to A10 play.
Thanks Stevey for injecting some logic.

Good coaching will make a huge difference in these players, especially Carey.
I will be surprised if he doesn't have a very strong season.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The conservative, low risk, safe approach
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Trust Archie with putting out the line-up that gives us the best chance of winning.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Trust Archie with putting out the line-up that gives us the best chance of winning.
You don't even know that he is going with that line up. Sounds like you are trusting Rothstein. Let's see what happens November 7. But if you think I'm getting excited about Leggett, Carey and Martin from last season I'm not. Hopefully things change. 1 or 2 starting maybe, but all 3 from last year? Didn't think that would be the case.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

You don't even know that he is going with that line up. Sounds like you are trusting Rothstein.
Ramster we don't know right now.
It just seems to make some sense at this time.
Again we haven't seen any of the practices.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You don't even know that he is going with that line up. Sounds like you are trusting Rothstein.
No. But I did see Leggett, Martin and Carey last season.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes, but this is a different year with a new and improved staff.
Don't write these players off just yet.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they start 2 bigs at some point.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'm not writing them off, I'm more concerned about the players who won't be on the floor because these guys will be.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I'm not writing them off, I'm more concerned about the players who won't be on the floor because these guys will be.
I think the staff knows what they are doing.

We are all just speculating right now, who knows what will happen come Nov.7.