1/8 | Davidson | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Re: 1/8 | Davidson | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by RI_Bred »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Where was Walker?
He was playing too well so Cox had to bench him.
Mobley was fouled.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Guess I made the right call to DVR this inevitable loss. We never seem to win after leading Davidson. They didn't win this game - we lost it. No field goals in last 6 minutes? Technical foul from the bench? No Walker at crunch time? Cox doesn't exactly inspire confidence when the game's on the line.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

good thing I don't bet because I would have taken Davidson and the points.

knew we would lose, just wasn't sure by how much.

This is the first year since Baron left that I have been disinterested with our program. I hate this feeling again. I used to go to games when Baron had some of his better teams, and I still knew we were gonna lose before tip off even happened. Same feeling now. Don't know what the answer is but I do not think it is more years of David Cox.

That last two minutes of the game was painful to watch
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Where was Walker?
He was playing too well so Cox had to bench him.
Worst end of game plan by a coach. Wrong personnel. A tech from the bench by a player? It just keeps getting better,
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Maybe this will get Walker into the starting lineup.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Why was Walker not on the floor? At the end? When he was an offensive machine?
Because Cox doesn't want to win games lol
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

SandorClegane wrote: 2 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
URIFIJI wrote: 2 years ago Legett was mauled on the outback attempt. Ridiculous
You're a homer. Defender was straight up it was a travel on Leggett and then an awful shot.

Team with more poise won. Bottom line, the right team won.
2nd shot moron.
Thanks for the name-calling, way to stay classy. Both shots, no fouls. You're looking for a bailout call. Not gonna get it. After his first attempt (or whatever it was where he caught his own shot...funny, I don't hear you complain about that violation), he should've pitched out instead of trying to force something among the trees who had their hands up.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Agree that Cox has no feel for game flow....taking Walker out and then not directing the team to get the ball to Walker when he came back was inexcusable.

Also he is clearly obligated to the Mitchells at the expense of the team.

I'm with those who just knew we were going to lose. With 3 minutes left, I was tempted to turn to another channel....some things just don't change.

Winning close games against good teams is just not our thing.

I expect nothing will change going forward. Expect more gag jobs.

I actually got my hopes up with 6 minutes left, but I just knew what would happen.
Last edited by rambone 78 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

You're a homer. Defender was straight up it was a travel on Leggett and then an awful shot.

2nd shot moron.
Thanks for the name-calling, way to stay classy. Both shots, no fouls. You're looking for a bailout call. Not gonna get it. After his first attempt (or whatever it was where he caught his own shot...funny, I don't hear you complain about that violation), he should've pitched out instead of trying to force something among the trees who had their hands up.
He also had an easy 2 on 1 breakaway earlier where he essentially did the same thing with the contorted attempt to draw a foul - shot was not even close to going in. Should've given it up for the easy bucket. Shit like that matters.
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Agree that Cox has no feel for game flow....taking Walker out and then not directing the team to get the ball to Walker when he came back was inexcusable.

Also he is clearly obligated to the Mitchells at the expense of the team.

I'm with those who just knew we were going to lose. With 3 minutes left, I was tempted to turn to another channel....some things just don't change.

Winning close games against good teams is just not our thing.

I expect nothing will change going forward. Expect more gag jobs.

I actually got my hopes up with 6 minutes left, but I just knew what would happen.
Just like Fatts. It will be his demise.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

2nd shot moron.

If the ref deems it a legitimate shot, you can catch your own miss. Rule changed few years ago.

Also, there is no way you can look at the second shot at say AT LEAST it wasn’t a jump ball.
Go Rhody
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

2nd shot moron.
If you dribble into the trees with no legitimate attempt at an actual shot, don’t be shocked when you don’t get the call. Dumb move.

Was he fouled on the second attempt? Probably. Would he ever get that call? Probably not.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I’ve said it once and will say it again…the Mitchells on the floor together for long stretches is not a winning formula.
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

I am really getting tired of watching the mitchell boys and their lack of basketball fundamentals. They have been playing the game for most of their lives, is it the lack of quality coaching or just the fact that they have been coddled for years on end. I watched as a crucial shot go up and my big man watched the ball float in the air instead of finding his man and boxing out. Resulting in an offensive rebound for Davidson that was a back breaker. I won't even discuss the end of game T or how the coach decides not to play the man having a great game down the stretch. Other than that, the team played better than what I expected and yes, Leggett got fouled. On to the next.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
Insane
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Those last two metrics are the only ones that matter and anyone watching him everyday should see this prettt easily.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Something’s going on behind the scenes with walker and twins. Seems political. And BS
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It certainly does. But, at this point, let's see where we are in the spring.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Today was just the first of many league losses. This team doesn't really know how to win and just cannot beat any good teams.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

We were outscored 17-6 in last 6:48 of the game. That's the opposite of winning basketball.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Today was just the first of many league losses. This team doesn't really know how to win and just cannot beat any good teams.
We have very good players who are not being used correctly.
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Damning.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Guess I made the right call to DVR this inevitable loss. We never seem to win after leading Davidson. They didn't win this game - we lost it. No field goals in last 6 minutes? Technical foul from the bench? No Walker at crunch time? Cox doesn't exactly inspire confidence when the game's on the line.
"No field goals in the last 6 minutes"

Sounds all too familiar
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Full disclosure - didn’t watch. Caught like 10 mins from Stone on the radio. I just don’t care any more. Went sledding instead.

That said, OF COURSE this was coming.

Only one Mitchell should be on the floor at a time - but of course he lets the players run the team. It’s what he did with Fatts. It what he does. He’s a great man but a weak coach when it comes to making tough decisions and telling kids what they don’t want to hear.

DC where’s your other burner account so you can tell us how we’re all idiots and it’s not Cox’s fault. Just an isolated incident even if blowing leads isn’t this team’s identity for 4 years running.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There are 3 sure things:

1. Death
2.Taxes
3. URI losing close games against good teams.

The circumstances might be different each time, but the results are the same.

So it is written...so it shall be.

Cox is truly the second coming of Baron.

And he's all ours.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The most frustrating part was we played really well for 36 minutes. Limited turnovers, got quality shots in the half court, and guarded the 3 excellently.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

This game perfectly exemplifies why URI fans are so frustrated watching this team . It seems to be a trait of this program since CFL arrived and it
seems to be continuing onward . They play well enough to stay in the game against the better teams , but of course find a way to lose in the end .
When they were up by 7 in the second half with under 8 to go I believe it was I told my wife they will find a way to lose and probably won't get a crucial call that contributes to the loss . They are generally that predictable . Conversely , against lesser teams they tend to let the opposition hang around
much longer than they should before finally eking out a win . Even though I am frustrated and the game went exactly as I expected I still feel that
the team did not play poorly , so I guess I should be happy . But am I happy ? Even though I had this game as a loss on my prediction before the season
I am still disappointed because they never actually win one of these games . I guess it is my optimistic hopes that for once Lucy won't pull out the football
at the last second and they will win . When will I ever learn ? Wow just read the above posts . I seem to be echoing the same feelings from almost everyone on here , so I guess it isn't just me.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago The twins don't strike me as highly coachable. Combine that with our staff and I suppose we shouldn't be surprised at the outcome.
When I posted that early in the first half I considered deleting it for sounding harsh. Truth. Ugh.

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If I’m Walker, there’s not a chance in hell I’m staying here next season for the extra Covid year.
Go Rhody
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Despite the disappointing loss, the team did a very good job contesting Loyer - he looked like he was really getting frustrated. I thought he was going to kill us - but no!

Jeremy did a very good job all day driving the basket. AW was a stud all day!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago If I’m Walker, there’s not a chance in hell I’m staying here next season for the extra Covid year.
Walker may stay since I don't see how Cox is here next year.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

How many teams have their star player playing the 7th most minutes?

Think about that for a minute......

Walker is playing consistently well.....but unfortunately he plays behind the teacher's pets.

Maybe we should hope this continues so Cox will get himself canned...I knew there was a silver lining!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago
Insane
…….hey Thor……..you reading this?……..is this where the program is with this coach in year four?……and is a collapse of coaching going to win Rhody championships…….?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago If I’m Walker, there’s not a chance in hell I’m staying here next season for the extra Covid year.
Most of us have been begging Cox to play him more for two seasons. I can’t imagine how he feels.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……….for me there is nothing worse than having an undisciplined punk on your bench, that has the potential to go off, and history of going off with the mouth, that is not reeled in and disciplined……..these players all to often find an untimely opportunity to display their talents that costs the team a game……..this is not CYO, these behaviors just cannot be tolerated at the D-1 level…….team rules?…….doubt it……..coach fireable? no……..player to the bench for full game or more? Yes…….coach grow a pair, take action…….your survival here depends on it…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

What shouldn’t go unsaid is that Bassy had an impactful few minutes. Had a nice finishing move in the paint, a steal and nice assist on the break. His unexpected performance has been a bright spot.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago What shouldn’t go unsaid is that Bassy had an impactful few minutes. Had a nice finishing move in the paint, a steal and nice assist on the break. His unexpected performance has been a bright spot.
Bassy was very good. I think the point being made is it's not our players. They are very good.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

We lost but played well today which is more than most posters here opined pre-game against perhaps the best A10 team on the road. Makhi and AB are still recovering from injuries. AW had a great game today, better than any game this year. I hope the team continues to improve this season. When a picture of both starting team was shown pre-game, I thought I was watching Kentucky versus West Texas State.
NCAAs or Bust!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago What shouldn’t go unsaid is that Bassy had an impactful few minutes. Had a nice finishing move in the paint, a steal and nice assist on the break. His unexpected performance has been a bright spot.
Bassy was very good. I think the point being made is it's not our players. They are very good.
Can you imagine Hurls' reaction to a on the bench player T in a sitch like that?
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Can you imagine Hurls' reaction to a on the bench player T in a sitch like that?
not only can I imagine it, I think I can picture his face right now if that were to have happened. Looking like he is ready to rip the heads off of stuffed animals.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I think several on this board have questioned the actual talent on this roster.

I am feeling a bit disappointed about the outcome because to my surprise this turned out to be a very winnable game.

I always felt and even predicted prior to the season that both Walker and Martin should be starting.
I think Walker is our most talented player and Martin is our glue guy, usually always dependable.
Both EA and Makhi played poorly and made very crucial mistakes at key times.

I along with most here didn't expect us to win this game, which was part of my early prediction.

Hopefully our team and staff will learn from this loss and go on a nice run starting in Kingston.

Besides what really will matters in the end is the A10T which almost everyone here keeps stating.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

How many Ts is that on Makhi this year? How many until he is disciplined? They even said on the broadcast that Cox said the Mitchells are immature. Well then, FUCKING DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….probably leads the league in Ts….…..maybe country…….is that a stat kept?……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Catfish
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Catfish »

Davidson fan here. I just had to sign on to set the record straight. The T was on Makhel Mitchell, not Makhi, and Makhel was on the court. You can check either the official box score on the Davidson Basketball page or the play-by-play on the ESPN web site.

The word from fans at the game is that he dropped a string of F bombs.
Last edited by Catfish 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

The game was really lost when Mitchell forgot to box out on the missed 3 with about 1:30 left.

GO RHODY!
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

You can choose to believe this or not.

My wife was on her way home from New Orleans and had a layover in Charlotte. Coincidentally was on the same flight as the URI basketball team flying home into Boston (why weren’t they flying into providence??). She said one of the twins (no idea which one) was causing a massive scene about switching seats due to legroom and was incredibly disrespectful to the flight attendants.

Again, couldn’t care less if you trust that or not. But 100% fact.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

100% was Makhi. Guy is a problem.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Catfish wrote: 2 years ago Davidson fan here. I just had to sign on to set the record straight. The T was on Makhel Mitchell, not Makhi, and Makhel was on the court. You can check either the official box score on the Davidson Basketball page or the play-by-play on the ESPN web site.

The word from fans at the game is that he dropped a string of F bombs.
Thanks for sharing and correcting.

Also shows Technical was on Makhel Mitchell in the URI Gorhody statistics, box score and play by play log.
C180AEAB-A076-4A2A-A83A-3E13A1111221.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.