1/30 | Dayton | 4:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Re: 1/30 | Dayton | 4:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by brady1 »

No well half the games we lose because of slow starts and today we lose cause of a slow second half start. We need a new starting lineup!!!!

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Three years since the NCAAT.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
brady1 wrote: 3 years ago It’s time for a New starting line up!

GO RHODY!
Your starting lineup doesn’t matter if your coach doesn’t care to pay attention to momentum or what lineups are working during the game.
Harris and Leggett both played better than 3 starters (Walker, Betrand and Fatts). Unreal how those guys were sitting for so much of the game. Coach Cox has no clue how to rotate players correctly.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Three years since the NCAAT.
And it’s not like we have next year to look forward too. We will be the same or worse...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I leave for work at halftime and we just die....

What are we?
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago I leave for work at halftime and we just die....

What are we?
DEAD
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Fatts, Betrand and Walker combined for 6 points. 6 friggin points. What a disgrace. 3 of our starters made 6 total points combined.
Last edited by theblueram 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago To recap:

Jeremy Sheppard is our best scoring option. Anyone keep track of how many shots he got this half?

Ish Leggett our only positive +/- player. Anyone see how often the ball wasn’t in his hands on offensive sets?

Jalen Carey is our worst ball handling guard. Anyone see how often the ball was in his hands?

Playing the injured Fatts Russell is where this game turned. Cox didn’t recognize the mistake until it was well too late.

DC is a great associate HC. He does not look like a guy who can make the in game decisions you need to be in the #1 seat.
Leggett was the only +player and by a wide margin at +9. Harris and Martin next best at -1. All 3 hustled when in the game. Others seemed to not get off the bus today.

Only 1 Steal for URI the entire Game. Looked back the last 5 years and that is the lowest total steals in a game in the last 2 Hurley years and in the 3 Cox years. Defense seemed sluggish today and a step slow.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Three years since the NCAAT.
And it’s not like we have next year to look forward too. We will be the same or worse...
......yeah, and I think there will player movement......out
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Cant win when you cant shoot. Simple. Luckily this has been an aberration this year. I feel we have shot pretty well most of the games.
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Two halves, two different teams. Disappointing.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Do we have anyone on the bench who can tel your players on a break away “pass the fucking ball to the open guy ahead of you”
How bout the coach?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Patience folks.....

We'll be good again.

Someday.

This coach has no feel for the game.

Sits those who are playing well, and plays those who aren't.

Leggett must be on the clock, 15 minutes seems to be his limit most of the time.

We have a mediocre HC who is NOT improving whatsoever, and players who are wildly inconsistent, again for the most part.

At some point Thorr and co. will wake up and realize this isn't working and isn't going to work.

Someday.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Roz wrote: 3 years ago Cant win when you cant shoot. Simple. Luckily this has been an aberration this year. I feel we have shot pretty well most of the games.
We have a .500 record and more wins that feel like losses than the other way around.

This is a joyless team to watch.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Shit show. No other words. Mediocre team and a coach who seems inept at who should play and when to call a time out.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Quickly losing interest in this season.

All of the huffing and puffing we do on this board is leading us nowhere, just like this coach and team.

The talent is there to be better, but with this coach it's not being taken advantage of.

Some here are more optimistic than I am, and for next season too.

Still hoping, but not expecting much, sad to say.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I really hope that this coach and team either get good soon, or go completely south.

No in between mediocrity that only prolongs the agony.

If we continue to suck, when the fans can come back, they won't...and that will force Thorr's hand into making a change.

Hate to feel like that, but this can't be allowed to continue.

Do we want to be like Fordham, and just field a team?

Or do we want to meet the stated goals for this program?

Shit or get off the pot, Thorr.
Last edited by rambone 78 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

I don’t see how next year will be any better. Usually during a year when we don’t make the tourney I’m optimistic the following year there will be improvement. Not this time.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

The "need time to gel" excuse is long gone. Hurley would've had this team competing for the entire game, every game at this point. Kind of like he's doing now. It's on Cox.
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Backroads wrote: 3 years ago I don’t see how next year will be any better. Usually during a year when we don’t make the tourney I’m optimistic the following year there will be improvement. Not this time.
I think you nailed it. There is no optimism. Cox get's next year to prove he's a D1 coach.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Some of our players are overrated. That's obvious.

But is the staff getting them to play to their potential?

That answer is obvious too.

NO.

Blueram...we'll know by midseason next year the answer to that one.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Unfortunately, after what was one of our better halves sharing the 🏀 (9 assists) and real good ball security (3 turnovers) and only being up 3, the second half seemed almost inevitable as this team cannot put a solid 40 minutes together. Mind boggling how few looks shep got in the second half. It was to the point when he did touch the ball, I was hoping he would shoot no matter how he was guarded if he was in range.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

It looks like Sheppard has worked off all of the rust and is playing well. I hope he comes back next season.

Betrand has not yet adjusted to the higher level of play. I'm not going to give up on the young man but not sure why he is starting. Is he dominating in practice?

Jalen Carey has struggled on offense but at least he plays hard on defense so I am willing to cut him some slack.

Malik Martin plays hard but has not yet found a great role on this team. He struggles mightily to convert offensive boards.

Ish plays hard with a reasonable amount of success. I'm not sure he is ready to break down defenses consistently but would like to see his minutes increase to 20.

Fatts is my guy but he is injured and struggling, would like to see the coach let him get healthy.

DJ Johnson is raw but talented. I am glad he is in the rotation and that we have him for 2 more years.

Mitchell has met expectations to be a good A-10 player.

Walker has been a little inconsistent but I like his work on the boards.

Harris is a little better than last season.

Hopefully we are playing much better a month from now.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Our offense sucks. Why play Walker when he never gets the ball within 6-8 feet of the basket. Other than that he is useless on offense. How does one of your starters not score a point and only takes 2 shots?
Anyone ever see Cox call a play from the sideline during play like other coaches. All it takes is a hand signal. But no as we run the same shit time after time. We ran one back door for a lay up by Shep. I do not recall us trying another one.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We said that a month ago, that we might improve.

And the month before that.....

Hoping isn't going to make it so.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Some of our players are overrated. That's obvious.

But is the staff getting them to play to their potential?

That answer is obvious too.

NO.

Blueram...we'll know by midseason next year the answer to that one.
Yup. Come next January, we will know where this program stands.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Quickly losing interest in this season.

All of the huffing and puffing we do on this board is leading us nowhere, just like this coach and team.

The talent is there to be better, but with this coach it's not being taken advantage of.

Some here are more optimistic than I am, and for next season too.

Still hoping, but not expecting much, sad to say.
I lost interest many, many games ago. I forget when they are even playing sometimes. Joyless team to watch. Can’t wait for Fatts to graduate. His act has got old
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Fatts isn't the problem.

It's the guy who runs the show, who's in over his head.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Rhody 20 TO's-Lose, 13 TO's-Win.
11 Turnovers?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Rhody 20 TO's-Lose, 13 TO's-Win.
11 Turnovers?
22 3 point attempts at a 22% rate ain't winning many games.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Dayton is a god team, hope to split games with them this year. Same with Davidson and Umass. Do that and we are right around 6th in the league (NIT team in a normal year).
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago Dayton is a god team, hope to split games with them this year. Same with Davidson and Umass. Do that and we are right around 6th in the league (NIT team in a normal year).
If we don't make the NCAAT the year is a fail.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

It looked to me like one team had great spacing and player movement in the second half, as well as moving the ball to move the defense. The other had little spacing or player movement, it overdribbled and let the ball get stuck, which made it easier for the opponent to play defense.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

play half the game well, win half the games...as Parcels says, you are what your record says you are.

They're lucky we can't have fans in the Ryan, otherwise they would wonder where everyone is. This team is like the kid who is talented but doesn't put in the work, makes bad decisions and just coasts by in mediocrity...that kid is supper frustrating for everyone who loves the kid.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago Dayton is a god team, hope to split games with them this year. Same with Davidson and Umass. Do that and we are right around 6th in the league (NIT team in a normal year).
If we don't make the NCAAT the year is a fail.
You always would like to make the NCAAT, that should be the goal. But realistically that was a longshot for this team going into this season.
We graduated 2 all conference caliber players along with losing some key pieces in the transfer market.
Some of the players we got had very limited time playing Div. I, and others may of been overhyped.
Regardless, I thought we would be further along than we are and more consistent, still understanding this is not a normal season.
I don't know at this point if Cox is the long-term answer or not, but need to be patient because the administration will not make any changes in the near future.
My optimism for this group has somewhat diminished, I was expecting bigger contributions from Carey, AB, and Martin. JH is what he is and Walker who can be very good at times has been inconsistent.
Fatts has always been erratic, but seems to really be off his game, a large part due to his lingering injury issues.
I was thinking that next year we should Dance but now I am not so sure, much depends on if Shep decides to return, how this staff can turn things around, and what happens in the off season.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

On a positive note, some nice post moves from Makhel. Not much else to be happy about.
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Yeah him and his bro will be badassed next year. The most disappointing part is that we see what could be when they are in synch.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago On a positive note, some nice post moves from Makhel. Not much else to be happy about.
Leggett. As usual. But yeah, other than those two...
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
Roz wrote: 3 years ago Cant win when you cant shoot. Simple. Luckily this has been an aberration this year. I feel we have shot pretty well most of the games.
We have a .500 record and more wins that feel like losses than the other way around.

This is a joyless team to watch.
Agree. No losses have felt like wins. Maaayyybe Arizona State. On the flip side, St. Joe's felt like a loss. Fordham felt like a loss. Bonaventure felt like a loss (but is turning out to be one of their better wins, so that's ok?).
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We are the epitome of an average basketball team. I don’t care if we win the next game by 20 and we shoot 60%, there is no reason to get excited.

I’m hoping to end the year finishing above .500 and winning a game in the A10 tourney. Nothing more.
Go Rhody
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago We are the epitome of an average basketball team. I don’t care if we win the next game by 20 and we shoot 60%, there is no reason to get excited.

I’m hoping to end the year finishing above .500 and winning a game in the A10 tourney. Nothing more.
Agreed. Is there anyone out there who thinks Rhody can win four A10 tournament games? It would have to be four, as I don’t see this team finishing top four.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Shinze88 wrote: 3 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago How are they only -1 against us? That’s very very fishy.
I really think we’re just two of the most inconsistent teams in the conference.

We beat VCU by 15, they just lost to them by 23

One of those games where I legit would not be surprised by any outcome. I know people say that in every game thread but they’re usually just being emotional. They could beat us by 15, we could do the same to them, or it could be tight.
I agree that any result would not surprise me, but that line is just begging for Dayton $$. I've seen a few Dayton games this year and while they obviously aren't last year's version there is still enough there to beat a very inconsistent RI team, especially at home. We still turn the ball over way to much and continue to make the same mistakes game after game so I dont have a good feeling we can steal a game in one of the toughest places to play in the league. I see Dayton winning 74-62. Hope I'm wrong
Pretty damn close they win by 11 not 12 nice job !!
kmillr
Abdul Fox

Unread post by kmillr »

Help me understand how Carey is getting minutes over Ish????
Plus a new rule for Rhody players:
You can only pose if you hit the 3...
I don't know instead of posing maybe follow up your miss. Unique thought right there.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago We are the epitome of an average basketball team. I don’t care if we win the next game by 20 and we shoot 60%, there is no reason to get excited.

Agreed. Is there anyone out there who thinks Rhody can win four A10 tournament games? It would have to be four, as I don’t see this team finishing top four.
I'd like to know if there is anyone out there, too. This team struggles mightily to win one game in a row, no chance they can win four straight.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago

I'd like to know if there is anyone out there, too. This team struggles mightily to win one game in a row, no chance they can win four straight.
I would be shocked, at this point not sure if we can win more than 2 straight.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This team takes one step forward, two steps back one game to the next.

Even within a game.

For every good move Cox makes, he makes several bad ones.

And it never changes.

If anyone here thinks we can win 4 straight at anything, get a grip.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

yep, this team can't win 4 halves in a row, never mind 4 games!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I mean I’m hoping for a lot more than that. But this is a pretty realistic take.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Rhody22 wrote: 3 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago I leave for work at halftime and we just die....

What are we?
DEAD

Same..... Checked the score and saw it half time then first the wife says when I walk in the door is “you’re not going be happy, it’s bad”

So disappointed... so frustrating.....
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agreed this team is too darn consistent to win 4 games in a row in The A10 tournament I will be shocked if that happens