David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: David Cox

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

gorhody89 wrote: 3 years ago I think expectations were unrealistic this year...majority of team hadn’t played with each other before and they had a shortened pre-season...it takes time for players to get comfortable playing with each other. Combine that with Fatts struggling and I’m not sure what else to expect...

However in regards to Cox I am concerned with being 0-5 in games decided by 5 points or less. Doesn’t even include the ASU game that was tied with 2 mins left
How long before we stop using that excuse of not being comfortable together? They've been together every day for 5 months. The season is about 2/3rds over. Most other schools had the same obstacles. The problem is that we DO look comfortable sometimes for half of a game. But that's it. Then it's either the turnovers, the foolish fouls or the lack of defensive intensity for the other half of games. That's lack of discipline and that's purely on the coach.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago eli said it best, its the long stretches of casual play that is really killing us and yes it is a coaching issue. I remain hopeful that because DC is a smart guy he figures this mess out. I also remain confident that he will be successful as a college HC when all is said and done. Referring to Cox and his acumen as a HC, I think it takes time to put all the components together that are necessary for a head coach to be successful here, at this level, at this particular institution, etc.

I'm considering this whole season to be a pleasure win or lose, watching URI bball is one of the things that keeps me hopeful. Having said that, I had to go out at half time last night, so I watched the second half on replay assuming we would be coasting to a victory and I, of course, was sickened by what I witnessed, literally went to sleep aggravated with a pit in my stomach. Can't have that. Gotta figure something out, cos watching that 2nd half wasn't pleasurable.
So you're telling me it's your fault for going out at halftime? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some 25+ years ago I attended a baseball game where Bruce Hurst was throwing a no-hitter for the Padres' against the Phillies. One of my "friends" was still a Bruce Hurst guy even though he was no longer pitching for the Sox. Somewhere around the fifth inning my other friend and I noticed Hurst was throwing the no no. I went to say it to the group and the Hurst fan "friend" interrupted me to say something like 'don't say it, I swear if you do...' So, of course, myself and our mutual friend began singing it, proudly. The next half-inning Hurst gave up an infield dribbler for a hit, the only hit he gave up that game. My "friend" blew up, like full on adult language tantrumatic melt down. I have literally only seen that "friend" once since that road trip at a 40 yr birthday party for another mutual friend, we were buddies from the age of twelve until that day lol like part of a tight group of good friends that went to visit each other at college, best men at weddings, God parents to children, etc.

So, yeah I apologize for jinxing the team the other day. :lol:
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

jelln.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago eli said it best, its the long stretches of casual play that is really killing us and yes it is a coaching issue. I remain hopeful that because DC is a smart guy he figures this mess out. I also remain confident that he will be successful as a college HC when all is said and done. Referring to Cox and his acumen as a HC, I think it takes time to put all the components together that are necessary for a head coach to be successful here, at this level, at this particular institution, etc.

I'm considering this whole season to be a pleasure win or lose, watching URI bball is one of the things that keeps me hopeful. Having said that, I had to go out at half time last night, so I watched the second half on replay assuming we would be coasting to a victory and I, of course, was sickened by what I witnessed, literally went to sleep aggravated with a pit in my stomach. Can't have that. Gotta figure something out, cos watching that 2nd half wasn't pleasurable.
So you're telling me it's your fault for going out at halftime? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some 25+ years ago I attended a baseball game where Bruce Hurst was throwing a no-hitter for the Padres' against the Phillies. One of my "friends" was still a Bruce Hurst guy even though he was no longer pitching for the Sox. Somewhere around the fifth inning my other friend and I noticed Hurst was throwing the no no. I went to say it to the group and the Hurst fan "friend" interrupted me to say something like 'don't say it, I swear if you do...' So, of course, myself and our mutual friend began singing it, proudly. The next half-inning Hurst gave up an infield dribbler for a hit, the only hit he gave up that game. My "friend" blew up, like full on adult language tantrumatic melt down. I have literally only seen that "friend" once since that road trip at a 40 yr birthday party for another mutual friend, we were buddies from the age of twelve until that day lol like part of a tight group of good friends that went to visit each other at college, best men at weddings, God parents to children, etc.

It's sad when people get full on cray like that...like we have the kind of impact that makes a difference...aye yi yi, rein that ego in a tad, son...

(PS - I was a HUGE Hurst guy...to that point in my life, him leaving the Sox was the saddest sports thing that ever happened to me...)
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Falcon wrote: 3 years ago Criticize and speculate about the coach all that you want until the cows come home but with all of the vicissitudes of this season our NET as of this morning was 70 !! This number coming from the experts that matter tells me that despite all the doom and gloom on this forum we are STILL a player in the 2020-2021 season.
Define player? The season is not over (as URI like many teams could go on a long winning streak to make things interesting). Best case URI goes undefeated, that would give them a resume of 3-2 Q1, 5-3 Q2, 3 bad losses. Can URI get to 17-8? If you go 16-9 (take away a Q1 game), URI is now 2-3 Q1, 5-3 Q2, 3 bad losses.

Here were the 5 bubble teams at the end of last season who were projected tournament teams, not factoring in potential end of season bid theft from unfinished conference tournaments for you to compare:

Wichita St - 2-5 Q1, 7-3 Q2, no bad losses.
Cincinnati - 2-6 Q1, 7-0 Q2, 4 bad losses.
Richmond - 3-4 Q1, 3-2 Q2, 1 bad loss.
NC St - 4-5 Q1, 4-5 Q2, 2 bad losses.
UCLA - 6-6 Q1, 3-4 Q2, 2 bad losses.

The comparisons are tough to make. URI feels like an auto-bid or bust team. Perhaps that's what you mean by player.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago

Thanks - I needed this laugh today. (I'm a Packers fan, so I'm bummed about yesterday - between the refs and the Packers not doing much with Brady's 3 picks, I was pretty upset at another wasted NFC Championship game, but this made me feel better....and I'm not sure why - I probably would have yelled at you too lol).
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We are not a player unless we have a magical 4 days in March
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago It has been a long time since I have started a new thread, but I feel that we need to discuss the future of David Cox as our basketball coach NOW. I truly believe that David Cox will become a great college basketball coach and now is the time to secure him as URI's coach when a more lucrative contract from URI would interest him and stabilize program leadership. Don't wait until David is a hot commodity and other schools outbid us for his services. Also, I believe that now is the time that a mutually beneficial contract can be reached that will keep him as URI's coach when he becomes successful, something that has plagued URI for decades. David possesses the characteristics of great basketball coaches. He is smart, a leader, a role model with terrific interpersonal skills, a proven recruiter and a person that I project will develop players and build a strong program. The players he has recruited are high quality individuals. Now is the time for us to get behind David and push the administration to support URI basketball.
Bump.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I am moving closer to thinking that maybe it is time to blow it all and start over, again......I thought by now in year three, there would be more positives than negatives in the growth of the program for DC to put his stamp on the program in moving from assistant coach to head coach .....I see the program sliding backward, little if anything, for me, that indicates we are on the right track......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I have not posted much this season and I can't bring myself to read most game threads these days, so excuse me if this angle has been discussed. But I believe Cox was the good cop to Hurley's bad cop, and Cox plays that part well, since I do believe he is a good guy. But he sucks as a coach who has to lay down the law and be tough on guys. AND why does he call a TO when we start to make a comeback?!!!! Doesn't he understand momentum?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......the answer often given is that he uses the TO to set up defense on the next possession for the opponent........for me, when you have a career steal guy on the floor let him grab a steal, then an ez bucket....two points turn to four......and the seeds of spurtability are planted....... but, that is not what we do......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I agree with those who say if a lineup has got the hot hand, run with it. Do not change it until things start turning.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Funny how the activity on this thread accelerates after a loss. This team will be fine post-Fatts.
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Funny how the activity on this thread accelerates after a loss. This team will be fine post-Fatts.
Well, there have been plenty of losses to enable such acceleration, no?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The jury is still out for me on Cox , I would like to see a big improvement with what we are throwing on the court and I just don’t see it
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

D7FAEC63-8FAE-4EB8-837E-68FA517B4EA6.png
This rotation is blowing my mind. We have one player over 30 min. Cox cannot create a lineup and it’s infuriating.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GO RAMS
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

I would wager anything that Cox will be back next year. Where changes could and should be made is with the rest of the staff. It sickened me to watch the Tyson Wheeler interview during halftime of the UMASS game. Arguably one of the three best point guards to ever play here and he couldn't get a sniff for an open assistant position. Nor could Silk Owens who was on Al Skinner's staff at Kennesaw State, also up there with Tyson and also available. Tell me either of them couldn't help this anemic guard play here. Instead, and everyone on this board was ecstatic, he hired TJ with one year of staff experience. I can't remember the last time I heard anyone on this forum sing his praises like they did before he was hired. He should have remained as DOBO. As for John Carroll and his son, I have no idea what their roles are. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. I haven't heard any of you real inside guys tell me who had "the scout" in a very long time. Does this mean you have given up on the staff as well. Since those two will never see the Rhody sideline, what's the latest on Preston Murphy. Is he banned for life from NCAA or does he have a shot? What we have now is not working.
Just throwing it out.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 3 years ago I would wager anything that Cox will be back next year. Where changes could and should be made is with the rest of the staff. It sickened me to watch the Tyson Wheeler interview during halftime of the UMASS game. Arguably one of the three best point guards to ever play here and he couldn't get a sniff for an open assistant position. Nor could Silk Owens who was on Al Skinner's staff at Kennesaw State, also up there with Tyson and also available. Tell me either of them couldn't help this anemic guard play here. Instead, and everyone on this board was ecstatic, he hired TJ with one year of staff experience. I can't remember the last time I heard anyone on this forum sing his praises like they did before he was hired. He should have remained as DOBO. As for John Carroll and his son, I have no idea what their roles are. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. I haven't heard any of you real inside guys tell me who had "the scout" in a very long time. Does this mean you have given up on the staff as well. Since those two will never see the Rhody sideline, what's the latest on Preston Murphy. Is he banned for life from NCAA or does he have a shot? What we have now is not working.
Just throwing it out.
Preston Murphy is not banned at all and never charged, I am sure he will get another opportunity once this blows over.

See below from the Omaha World Herald:

“(The players) support him, like I do,” McDermott said after the game. “I love the guy. He’ll be a great friend of mine for the rest of our lives. I’ll continue to support him and have his back. It’s obviously an unfortunate set of circumstances that landed us here but he’s made the decision to move on. That allows us to do the same.”

"Murphy has not been charged with a crime, and the details of his involvement in the scheme weren’t completely fleshed out during two separate court proceedings over the last year. The cases instead focused more specifically on the alleged misdeeds of an aspiring agent and other coaches".
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

We will always be on the cusp in the coaching department.. let's face it. A10 is a stepping stone for a hot young coach to build his reputation then move on. Unless we get a Schmidt or Mckillop type who are good coaches and seem perfectly content where they are we will never be consistently relevant. Maybe Cox is that guy. Not looking that way now but next year is the make or break year with him. If he can't win with this crew or there is a mass exodus again then let's move on. Maybe preston murphy gets a shot..
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ram1980 wrote: 3 years ago We will always be on the cusp in the coaching department.. let's face it. A10 is a stepping stone for a hot young coach to build his reputation then move on. Unless we get a Schmidt or Mckillop type who are good coaches and seem perfectly content where they are we will never be consistently relevant. Maybe Cox is that guy. Not looking that way now but next year is the make or break year with him. If he can't win with this crew or there is a mass exodus again then let's move on. Maybe preston murphy gets a shot..
And if there is a mass exodus? What then?
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
ram1980 wrote: 3 years ago We will always be on the cusp in the coaching department.. let's face it. A10 is a stepping stone for a hot young coach to build his reputation then move on. Unless we get a Schmidt or Mckillop type who are good coaches and seem perfectly content where they are we will never be consistently relevant. Maybe Cox is that guy. Not looking that way now but next year is the make or break year with him. If he can't win with this crew or there is a mass exodus again then let's move on. Maybe preston murphy gets a shot..
We hire Sutton to keep the recruits...
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Hell no we don’t hire Sutton. I’m fine with us being a stepping stone job. Hire the hot young coach, go to the NCAAs, that coach leaves for a better job, rinse repeat.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I'm sure his Sutton comment was made in jest. No one in there right mind would say that seriously.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Rhody22 wrote: 3 years ago
Not funny.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago

Not funny.
Sorry...it was a joke.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

My first reaction was, "that's hilarious / well played." After reading some of the follow up, I'm sticking with that.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Funny how the activity on this thread accelerates after a loss. This team will be fine post-Fatts.
So far, a .500 record against a tough schedule in a year when there has been almost a complete roster turnover, 2 returnees (Fatts, JH) injured most of the year and our best big-man (Mahki) out for the rest of the year. The prospects for next year are bright. I feel good about the team this year.
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I wouldn’t mind seeing P Murph being our head coach somewhere down the road
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I'm sorry to say it, but after this season, Cox has to let an assistant go and bring in someone else. If he does not and next year is a non tournament year then you have to let Cox go.
New President may want there own AD. I'm sure if Cox survives to that point, he will have a short leash.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Next year is year 4.

That's not a short leash.

If things are more or less the same next year DC has to go. Period.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Any chance Thorr is on the hot seat, or at least the warm seat?
Mobley was fouled.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Why would he be? DC was the right hire at the time. His women’s hire looks like a home run. Got the football stadium improvements done, almost there on practice facility.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Thorr on the hot seat? Is that a serious question?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
So far, a .500 record against a tough schedule in a year when there has been almost a complete roster turnover, 2 returnees (Fatts, JH) injured most of the year and our best big-man (Mahki) out for the rest of the year. The prospects for next year are bright. I feel good about the team this year.
That is the kind of attitude that got Jim Baron to stay at URI for such a long period of time. Content with being average or a million excuses why they couldn’t succeed. Cox will be here next year and potentially the year after that if he is even average next year so he will get his chance to prove everyone wrong. The assistant coaches as others have brought up is an issue for sure. The salary issue is a concern, but they need to get creative with a veteran who actually can provide some type of game planning or value to Cox.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 3 years ago I would wager anything that Cox will be back next year. Where changes could and should be made is with the rest of the staff. It sickened me to watch the Tyson Wheeler interview during halftime of the UMASS game. Arguably one of the three best point guards to ever play here and he couldn't get a sniff for an open assistant position. Nor could Silk Owens who was on Al Skinner's staff at Kennesaw State, also up there with Tyson and also available. Tell me either of them couldn't help this anemic guard play here. Instead, and everyone on this board was ecstatic, he hired TJ with one year of staff experience. I can't remember the last time I heard anyone on this forum sing his praises like they did before he was hired. He should have remained as DOBO. As for John Carroll and his son, I have no idea what their roles are. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. I haven't heard any of you real inside guys tell me who had "the scout" in a very long time. Does this mean you have given up on the staff as well. Since those two will never see the Rhody sideline, what's the latest on Preston Murphy. Is he banned for life from NCAA or does he have a shot? What we have now is not working.
Just throwing it out.
To be fair, Wheeler had an interview scheduled with URI after the UMass interview - UMass offered the job right then and there and Wheeler accepted:

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?t=8364
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Thorr on the hot seat? Is that a serious question?
Yeah I just don't really follow much outside of the Men's bball team so I wasn't sure if the overall picture was still positive for him.

Glad to hear it is, he is a great guy. Wife had his kids in school.
Mobley was fouled.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

RamStock wrote: 3 years ago

That is the kind of attitude that got Jim Baron to stay at URI for such a long period of time. Content with being average or a million excuses why they couldn’t succeed.
Cox will be here next year and potentially the year after that if he is even average next year so he will get his chance to prove everyone wrong. The assistant coaches as others have brought up is an issue for sure. The salary issue is a concern, but they need to get creative with a veteran who actually can provide some type of game planning or value to Cox.
I am convinced that Rhody72 is a blood relative of DC, or actually Jim Baron. The lack of rationality and allegiance to the coach over the program is indicative of someone who isn't a fan of this team or program, but just rooting for their family member.

There is zero rationale, sensibility, or understanding of the context of basketball in anything he posts.

I am still 30% convinced that a PC troll got your password.

72, this is a serious question - do you root for David Cox because he was nice to you at some point? I know a huge segment of our fan base felt the same about Jim Baron because he was friendly to them at some event, and it blinded them to what his performance was.

Either way, let me break down your awful excuse-train of a response...yet again. I will preface with this:

This is year 3. This is not year 1. You do not look at a coach's tenure in a vacuum and take years individually. You look at the entire body of work. Had URI been a clear at-large team last year, or made the tournament in year one - you could at least make the point that Cox COULD get it done and lessen the pain of this current season.

We hired Cox for 2 main reasons:

Continuity - keep all the good things that Hurley had built, going. The "bar" we heard so much about was A-10 titles and NCAA appearances. We're 0-2 so far.

Keep the team together - we had the best recruiting class in URI history Cox's 1st year. So far, 1 of those players was kicked off the team, 1 player has failed to develop anywhere close to his projections, and the 2 best players from that class left the program when they were going to be STARTERS for this team.

So far, a .500 record against a tough schedule - Great to see your standards are so high. Losing the sarcasm, the fact that fans like you revert to this place of mediocrity so fast is why this program will continue to live in purgatory. This statement is offensive. The "Bar" that your BFF said was a MINIMUM for performance has yet to be achieved.

Some other problems with your statement: for starters, the NET ranking of 79 is well far out of the field. It's great that we had the #26 NC SOS. Whoop-di-do. That's pretty much buoyed by the bitch slapping we got thanks to Wisconsin. We didn't look like we belonged on the floor with them. Because I'm sure you were impressed by "names" and didn't bother to look into the rankings - Arizona State and Boston College are two QUADRANT THREE LOSSES. The OOC gave us 2 Q2 wins. Wow. Super great.

in a year when there has been almost a complete roster turnover, - who's fault is that? No team in the country had that kind of turnover. We lost 2 STARTERS. We have lost 8 of 10 recruits in the first 2 years here. This ridiculous obsession you have with trying to pull this season out of the context of the entire coaching tenure is insulting to anyone who's watched 10 minutes of college basketball outside of kingston.

2 returnees (Fatts, JH) injured most of the year - Injuries do happen. It's awful and derailing. I would love to hear an explanation of why the coach has continued to play a clearly injured player 30+ minutes a night, especially after any chance of an at-large bid is long gone.

The prospects for next year are bright. - agreed. But do you have confidence to say that the pieces from this year will stay here to make that matter? There isn't exactly a track record of talent retention like there is of talent recruitment.

I feel good about the team this year. - I don't know if I should take pity on you, or check you into a treatment program. Your feelings of "good" are yours and yours alone, and not even the most fervent pompom waiver should feel "good" about anything they've seen on the court this year outside of a few isolated stretches of "good" basketball. Ish Leggett (who still does not get enough minutes), Jeremey Sheppard, and Makhel Mitchell are really the only pieces you could objectively say are consistently there night in and night out. The rest of the team is riddled with wildly inconsistent play, coupled with questionable substitution patterns, a strategy that does not put the ball in the right players hands, and an overall disappointing product.

We blew a lead of 17 points to the #140th team in the country. We are coming off a game where we blew a 9 point lead because our coach put in an injured guard and took out a lineup that was enjoying a 13-5 advantage on the court together. We have not played good basketball in 2 months. Most nights we come out flat and look uninterested in playing basketball.

David Cox is a great human being. He also could still fix things and turn it around. But everything you are saying is not based anywhere near the realm of reality nor within the context of a statement from someone who understands basketball. Please stop.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
in a year when there has been almost a complete roster turnover, - who's fault is that? No team in the country had that kind of turnover. We lost 2 STARTERS. We have lost 8 of 10 recruits in the first 2 years here. This ridiculous obsession you have with trying to pull this season out of the context of the entire coaching tenure is insulting to anyone who's watched 10 minutes of college basketball outside of kingston.
I will say Wichita State had higher turnover...but not really something anyone should want to point to when looking at the URI turnover.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago
I will say Wichita State had higher turnover...but not really something anyone should want to point to when looking at the URI turnover.
Well yeah - I don't think any of our players over the last 2 years said they had been abused by the coach. Plus it all happened at once as a direct result of whatever Marshall was doing behind the scenes.

This is more worrisome - like a non-contact knee injury. If you can't point to a specific incident that sent players going out, and it's really just been here and there for various reasons - that seems like an overall issue.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Unless next year is a disaster, I believe Cox deserves two more years and then an assessment. He's just getting started with all of the new guys, and he's been down one Mitchell. His first year he inherited a team that lost so many talented seniors. No way any coach was going to go far in that situation. Last year was fairly successful, but we clearly weren't taking down Dayton. And here we are in the middle of a disappointing year. Next year is pivotal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I wish there were some signs that improvement is coming.

So far, very little to support that feeling.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago Unless next year is a disaster, I believe Cox deserves two more years and then an assessment. He's just getting started with all of the new guys, and he's been down one Mitchell. His first year he inherited a team that lost so many talented seniors. No way any coach was going to go far in that situation. Last year was fairly successful, but we clearly weren't taking down Dayton. And here we are in the middle of a disappointing year. Next year is pivotal.
This is a fair take and probably closest to what will actually happen.

Unless we lose out there is no way DC is gone this year.

Next year same deal, if we finish middle of the pack, there's probably one more year.

But if you go 5 years without a tournament appearance, it's moving time.

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago Unless next year is a disaster, I believe Cox deserves two more years and then an assessment. He's just getting started with all of the new guys, and he's been down one Mitchell. His first year he inherited a team that lost so many talented seniors. No way any coach was going to go far in that situation. Last year was fairly successful, but we clearly weren't taking down Dayton. And here we are in the middle of a disappointing year. Next year is pivotal.
......no Dance next year problem......no Dance year after that, 0-5.....bye bye......no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago I wish there were some signs that improvement is coming.

So far, very little to support that feeling.
I think there is plenty. DC rebuilt the roster in the middle of a pandemic with players who have flaws but definitely belong in the A10. 8 players transferred out in the first 2 years, 3 of them would see regular time on an A10 team. Reading a lot on the board about how it is 18 games in and we should be beating top A10 teams that have guys who have played together for 3 or 4 years. Come on man - next year is the litmus test. I would love for it to come together this year but it isn't the end of the world if it doesn't. Next year when St. Louis and Richmond take a step back, we need to take a step forward.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man, not a great example but one I am familiar with; Nebraska:
2018 - 2019 - 5 scholarship player transferred
2019-2020 - Another 5 scholarship players left
Total in 2 years, they lost 10 players. Let me add, many of these were starters.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Total in 2 years, they lost 10 players. Let me add, many of these were starters.
Didn’t many of those players transfer from Nebraska pre-Hoiberg plus he brizzed a couple more?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago

Didn’t many of those players transfer from Nebraska pre-Hoiberg plus he brizzed a couple more?
Exactly, this is his 2nd year. Last year 4 of those transfers were starters. Even prior to Hoiberg, Tim Miles had 4 players that transferred from the 2017-2018 team.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Exactly, this is his 2nd year. Last year 4 of those transfers were starters. Even prior to Hoiberg, Tim Miles had 4 players that transferred from the 2017-2018 team.
OK rather than trying to find the other less than 1% of basketball programs who have similar issues with talent retention, would it just be fair to say it isn't indicative of a program going in the right direction?

That seems to be a common theme with all teams listed.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

OK rather than trying to find the other less than 1% of basketball programs who have similar issues with talent retention, would it just be fair to say it isn't indicative of a program going in the right direction?

That seems to be a common theme with all teams listed.
Blue Man you know just sometimes I like to give you a hard time 8-)

Yes we don't want to see this exodus being the rule rather than the exception
As far as Hoiberg and Nebraska many think that even with all the transfers, he has them headed in the right direction.
I am more concerned with the players that chose to come here and developing them, rather than worry about those who decided to leave.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RamStock wrote: 3 years ago

That is the kind of attitude that got Jim Baron to stay at URI for such a long period of time. Content with being average or a million excuses why they couldn’t succeed.
Cox will be here next year and potentially the year after that if he is even average next year so he will get his chance to prove everyone wrong. The assistant coaches as others have brought up is an issue for sure. The salary issue is a concern, but they need to get creative with a veteran who actually can provide some type of game planning or value to Cox.
I am convinced that Rhody72 is a blood relative of DC, or actually Jim Baron. The lack of rationality and allegiance to the coach over the program is indicative of someone who isn't a fan of this team or program, but just rooting for their family member.

There is zero rationale, sensibility, or understanding of the context of basketball in anything he posts.

I am still 30% convinced that a PC troll got your password.

72, this is a serious question - do you root for David Cox because he was nice to you at some point? I know a huge segment of our fan base felt the same about Jim Baron because he was friendly to them at some event, and it blinded them to what his performance was.

Either way, let me break down your awful excuse-train of a response...yet again. I will preface with this:

This is year 3. This is not year 1. You do not look at a coach's tenure in a vacuum and take years individually. You look at the entire body of work. Had URI been a clear at-large team last year, or made the tournament in year one - you could at least make the point that Cox COULD get it done and lessen the pain of this current season.

We hired Cox for 2 main reasons:

Continuity - keep all the good things that Hurley had built, going. The "bar" we heard so much about was A-10 titles and NCAA appearances. We're 0-2 so far.

Keep the team together - we had the best recruiting class in URI history Cox's 1st year. So far, 1 of those players was kicked off the team, 1 player has failed to develop anywhere close to his projections, and the 2 best players from that class left the program when they were going to be STARTERS for this team.

So far, a .500 record against a tough schedule - Great to see your standards are so high. Losing the sarcasm, the fact that fans like you revert to this place of mediocrity so fast is why this program will continue to live in purgatory. This statement is offensive. The "Bar" that your BFF said was a MINIMUM for performance has yet to be achieved.

Some other problems with your statement: for starters, the NET ranking of 79 is well far out of the field. It's great that we had the #26 NC SOS. Whoop-di-do. That's pretty much buoyed by the bitch slapping we got thanks to Wisconsin. We didn't look like we belonged on the floor with them. Because I'm sure you were impressed by "names" and didn't bother to look into the rankings - Arizona State and Boston College are two QUADRANT THREE LOSSES. The OOC gave us 2 Q2 wins. Wow. Super great.

2 returnees (Fatts, JH) injured most of the year - Injuries do happen. It's awful and derailing. I would love to hear an explanation of why the coach has continued to play a clearly injured player 30+ minutes a night, especially after any chance of an at-large bid is long gone.

The prospects for next year are bright. - agreed. But do you have confidence to say that the pieces from this year will stay here to make that matter? There isn't exactly a track record of talent retention like there is of talent recruitment.

I feel good about the team this year. - I don't know if I should take pity on you, or check you into a treatment program. Your feelings of "good" are yours and yours alone, and not even the most fervent pompom waiver should feel "good" about anything they've seen on the court this year outside of a few isolated stretches of "good" basketball. Ish Leggett (who still does not get enough minutes), Jeremey Sheppard, and Makhel Mitchell are really the only pieces you could objectively say are consistently there night in and night out. The rest of the team is riddled with wildly inconsistent play, coupled with questionable substitution patterns, a strategy that does not put the ball in the right players hands, and an overall disappointing product.

We blew a lead of 17 points to the #140th team in the country. We are coming off a game where we blew a 9 point lead because our coach put in an injured guard and took out a lineup that was enjoying a 13-5 advantage on the court together. We have not played good basketball in 2 months. Most nights we come out flat and look uninterested in playing basketball.

David Cox is a great human being. He also could still fix things and turn it around. But everything you are saying is not based anywhere near the realm of reality nor within the context of a statement from someone who understands basketball. Please stop.
I don’t think 72 really approves of Cox , he just made the post cuz he knew it would be controversial, this just a guess on reading his posts through the years