1/6 | Richmond | 6:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/6 | Richmond | 6:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago This is not a disaster. What happened in DC was a disaster. We lost a basketball game to the preseason favorite who returned their entire starting lineup.

Turnovers just killed us, still lacking chemistry and cohesion though we had some good stretches of offense and defense tonight. If we can get our TOs down to 10-12 we will be cooking with gas.
Oh, an optimist. We are 5-6. We suck. (DC was just like Portland for that last 6 months, so)

There it is! Was waiting for you to defend the hideous actions of your people in DC today!

I’m surprised you watched the game and weren’t in the capitol building today.
Your people. LOL. I guess half this country is your people. Yeah, half this country. Bet you were chowing down the popcorn when the riots were going on in Portland. Step off.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

In Chris I trust
GO RAMS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Oh, an optimist. We are 5-6. We suck. (DC was just like Portland for that last 6 months, so)

There it is! Was waiting for you to defend the hideous actions of your people in DC today!

Your people. LOL. I guess half this country is your people. Yeah, half this country. Bet you were chowing down the popcorn when the riots were going on in Portland. Step off.
I would classify anyone who stormed the Capitol building today far right and have given the average Republican the benefit of the doubt. Hilarious that you WANT people to think today represented a true Republican.

Really sucks URI has to claim you as an alumni.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Guys, we come here to get away from politics, at least in theory.

Can you keep it out of the NCAA D1 Men's Basketball URI Rams discussion please???
Mobley was fouled.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Half the people don’t support what happened today, only the biggest wack job would possibly try to rationalize a mob storming the Capitol, taking to the Senate floor, brandishing weapons and chanting for a real estate agent.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago

I would classify anyone who stormed the Capitol building today far right and have given the average Republican the benefit of the doubt. Hilarious that you WANT people to think today represented a true Republican.

I would classify anyone who voted for Joe Biden as far left. Sorry you are an alumni as well.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago If you described these two teams and then simulated the game it’s exactly what you would expect:

Experienced team with chemistry takes on more talented team with little experience playing together
I haven't read through this whole thread yet, but have heard that we need to temper expectations because "little experience playing together."

Soo......how long does that apply? 1/2 seasom? 3/4's? ....the whole season?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago

Half the people don’t support what happened today, only the biggest wack job would possibly try to rationalize a mob storming the Capitol, taking to the Senate floor, brandishing weapons and chanting for a real estate agent.
Does that mean half do?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago BUT NOW WE FOUL!?

Cmon Cox stans. You have to admit there is a serious lack of consistency in his decision making.
Um...are you sure those are really 'decisions'...and not just 'random actions'?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago I’m trying something new tonight. I want to see if a little chocolate syrup helps the Everclear go down faster.
You're just diluting it then (like adding water to scotch)....just get it good and cold and toss it back
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Back to basketball. The turnovers are incredibly frustrating. Somehow, the coach has to fix this problem. Yes the kids make the turnovers, but to me this is a mindset that needs to be fixed, and it's up to the coach to fix it. The potential is still there for this team to be pretty good.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago If you described these two teams and then simulated the game it’s exactly what you would expect:

Experienced team with chemistry takes on more talented team with little experience playing together
I haven't read through this whole thread yet, but have heard that we need to temper expectations because "little experience playing together."

Soo......how long does that apply? 1/2 seasom? 3/4's? ....the whole season?
I was going to say the same thing. These guys have been together every day for 4 months. I played on CYO teams that played better together as a team and we played once a week. As far as those criticizing Walker's passes, 2 of those were pick and rolls and Mitchell didn't roll. The lane was wide open for him and he would have had layups both times. If a wide receiver runs the wrong route and it's incomplete, is that the quarterback's fault?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

In terms of Walkers passes I’m specifically talking about the high/low situations where he tried to force it into Makhel with a bad angle and then no touch on the pass. Those were on Twan. I think he has been a very good contributor this year but there were a couple bad decisions by him tonight that resulted in TOs.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

I would classify anyone who voted for Joe Biden as far left. Sorry you are an alumni as well.
You’ve hitting a tipping point. I refuse to believe you didn’t go to PC and just come here to stir the pot. Not one post you make about basketball, politics or otherwise is even remotely informed
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Stop the political crap.

Am I the only one that thought our offense looked pretty good tonight? We shot 52% from the field and 40% from 3. If we clean up the turnovers, we dominate that game. Ball security comes with better repetition. NEED to improve on that. Free throws and ball security should be all we practice this week. Way too many forced passes.

Not overly upset with that game though.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago In terms of Walkers passes I’m specifically talking about the high/low situations where he tried to force it into Makhel with a bad angle and then no touch on the pass. Those were on Twan. I think he has been a very good contributor this year but there were a couple bad decisions by him tonight that resulted in TOs.
Yup, those two passes along with the borderline full court pass had zero chance of being completed.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago Stop the political crap.

Am I the only one that thought our offense looked pretty good tonight? We shot 52% from the field and 40% from 3. If we clean up the turnovers, we dominate that game. Ball security comes with better repetition. NEED to improve on that. Free throws and ball security should be all we practice this week. Way too many forced passes.

Our shooting was very good yes, the turnovers are what killed us.

We also let 29% 3 point shooter Jacob Gilyard make 6 of 8 threes tonight.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Turnovers are a part of the offense...if you make a ton of turnovers, you do not have a good offense.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Disappointed but not surprised. I’ve said it before but we recruit athletes who play basketball and not basketball players who are athletic. That is our biggest downfall. Cox gets the best athletes he can get, rolls out the ball and hopes they can out-athlete the opponent. Poor IQ on the court and I don’t think Cox is as great of a basketball mind as we thought. Very undisciplined. How many times did the announcers today mention our bad defense? We get caught up on screens all the time and our rotations are crap. On offense we do not know how to free up a shooter for a clean shot. I believe DJ, Shepard, Betrand and Leggett are pretty good shooters but it’s hard to make shots Consistently with guys In your face. Today shooting was good but many of the shots were still pretty contested.

As fans, we also overate our players, especially when they commit. I remember when we were OK that Adams decommitted because we signed Silverio who was the sharpshooter we needed. We get super excited every time someone commits to us and think they are our savior.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody22 wrote: 3 years ago Disappointed but not surprised. I’ve said it before but we recruit athletes who play basketball and not basketball players who are athletic. That is our biggest downfall. Cox gets the best athletes he can get, rolls out the ball and hopes they can out-athlete the opponent. Poor IQ on the court and I don’t think Cox is as great of a basketball mind as we thought. Very undisciplined. How many times did the announcers today mention our bad defense? We get caught up on screens all the time and our rotations are crap. On offense we do not know how to free up a shooter for a clean shot. I believe DJ, Shepard, Betrand and Leggett are pretty good shooters but it’s hard to make shots Consistently with guys In your face. Today shooting was good but many of the shots were still pretty contested.

As fans, we also overate our players, especially when they commit. I remember when we were OK that Adams decommitted because we signed Silverio who was the sharpshooter we needed. We get super excited every time someone commits to us and think they are our savior.
I think you underestimate Cox at this point, the jury is still out on him and will be for awhile.
As far as losing Adams goes that was extremely disappointing, he was our 2nd highest rated recruit (consensus top 150) behind JH and yes ahead of Tate and Martin. Omar Silverio was a last minute under the radar add on.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody22 wrote: 3 years ago Disappointed but not surprised. I’ve said it before but we recruit athletes who play basketball and not basketball players who are athletic. That is our biggest downfall. Cox gets the best athletes he can get, rolls out the ball and hopes they can out-athlete the opponent. Poor IQ on the court and I don’t think Cox is as great of a basketball mind as we thought. Very undisciplined. How many times did the announcers today mention our bad defense? We get caught up on screens all the time and our rotations are crap. On offense we do not know how to free up a shooter for a clean shot. I believe DJ, Shepard, Betrand and Leggett are pretty good shooters but it’s hard to make shots Consistently with guys In your face. Today shooting was good but many of the shots were still pretty contested.

I think you underestimate Cox at this point, the jury is still out on him and will be for awhile.
As far as losing Adams goes that was extremely disappointing, he was our 2nd highest rated recruit (consensus top 150) behind JH and yes ahead of Tate and Martin. Omar Silverio was a last minute under the radar add on.

I can agree that jury is still out on Cox but I think most fans expected to see more out of him by now. Shows little emotion on the sidelines, Questionable timeouts, and teams haven’t seemed to improve as the season progressed.

Many on here were OK with losing Adams because we had the other guys still coming: Tyrese, Jermaine and Dana. Many also raved how great of a shooter Silverio was and we really needed that. I think there was a video highlight of him playing in a game vs an NBA player and how well he did.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody22 wrote: 3 years ago

I can agree that jury is still out on Cox but I think most fans expected to see more out of him by now. Shows little emotion on the sidelines, Questionable timeouts, and teams haven’t seemed to improve as the season progressed.

Many on here were OK with losing Adams because we had the other guys still coming: Tyrese, Jermaine and Dana. Many also raved how great of a shooter Silverio was and we really needed that. I think there was a video highlight of him playing in a game vs an NBA player and how well he did.
It's easy for many of us to sit back and be armchair quarterbacks/coaches and I am also guilty of being very critical, but willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
As far as Adams goes many fans were angered about him switching to UConn claiming that DH poached him from us, because he was one of our highest rated recruits that year.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

URI followed the season script: Turn the ball over frequently and miss all important free throws to prevent any chance to come from behind. The only
thing new was that they shot the ball a little better and improved the slot selection . This is the sloppiest URI team I have seen in recent memory . Not
that most recent teams have been ultra careful with the ball . But this group takes making careless passes and poor ball handling to a new level .
We all knew going in that if that continued there would be another loss for sure tonight , so no surprise here, just frustration and disappointment .
I am resigned to chalking this season up to experience with the hope that they can learn and make a run in the a10 tournament if there is one
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Walker had a great stat line for the game in 21 minutes but his 4 turnovers are a killer. Likewise with Carey but he had 3 turnovers in 14 minutes and of course a technical foul that cost us 2 points.
We needed Shep in the game when we were trying to come back late in the game instead of Harris and Mitchell in the game together. Do not understand the rational for that especially with Shep making 3 out of 5 threes.
Rhody22 stating what I have been saying for the past 4-6 weeks and that is we do not know how to run our offense to free someone up for an open shot. How about we set a screen to try and do so?
Talking about discipline: how about the coach telling his players under no circumstances do they behave during the game in a way to have a technical foul called on them. Discipline begins with the coach laying down the law and enforcing it.
My frustration with this coach and team is over the top. We need to treat every possession like it is the last in a tied game. Play with intensity.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

"questionable timeouts"? :lol:
That's kinda like Noah looking up at the sky and saying, "You know what boys, looks like we might be getting some rain"
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

I truly hope Cox and this team turn things around but at this point, I’m just hoping for some improvement in every area: coaching (X’s and O’s, timeouts); Discipline, Defense, Shot selection, Half court Offense and especially Defense. I have little hope of seeing improvement in IQ this year...
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Walker had a great stat line for the game in 21 minutes but his 4 turnovers are a killer. Likewise with Carey but he had 3 turnovers in 14 minutes and of course a technical foul that cost us 2 points.
We needed Shep in the game when we were trying to come back late in the game instead of Harris and Mitchell in the game together. Do not understand the rational for that especially with Shep making 3 out of 5 threes.
Rhody22 stating what I have been saying for the past 4-6 weeks and that is we do not know how to run our offense to free someone up for an open shot. How about we set a screen to try and do so?
Talking about discipline: how about the coach telling his players under no circumstances do they behave during the game in a way to have a technical foul called on them. Discipline begins with the coach laying down the law and enforcing it.
My frustration with this coach and team is over the top. We need to treat every possession like it is the last in a tied game. Play with intensity.
Try not to get to worked up over this eli, because so far this season is not totally unexpected. The A10 coaches picked us 6th, they know we have talent, but it takes time with all our newcomers for success to come easily at this level.
We should see some improvement going forward, but also be prepared for some bad losses also, that will happen.
Next year should be the real test, until then it will be a roller coaster ride.
As far as technicals go, these are kids caught up in the moment, I seem to recall that even DH had a few in his time here. :D
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago Stop the political crap.

Our shooting was very good yes, the turnovers are what killed us.

We also let 29% 3 point shooter Jacob Gilyard make 6 of 8 threes tonight.
He's a career 36 percent three point shooter. Off to a slow start this year but he's exceptional from deep.
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The whole story on this board is even better than that. When Silverio committed, some people were ecstatic, saying he was going to be better than Adams and that they had dodged a bullet because Brendan’s mom was going to be problematic. Of course, this was only after some people initially cried about cheating when they thought Silverio had decommitted from Santa Clara to go to UConn and then dropped the anger when Omar committed to Cox. Fun times that still exist over there on the recruiting board.

The game was fine. I didn’t think they’d win, and they didn’t. Most of the time I still feel like I’m watching some disjointed thrown together team like they’re freaking Nevada or something. On to VCU.

ETA: Coaches almost always get more credit than they deserve when their teams win and more blame than might be fair when their teams lose. They’re the ones making the money in the college game, The preemptive defenses are weird. Now I’m going to think myself into a knot about whether this team is talented and just not fully showing it yet or if the guys aren’t as talented individually as some suspect or if they are but they just can’t work out how to trust each other and play together.
Last edited by ace 3 years ago, edited 7 times in total.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

ace wrote: 3 years ago

The whole story on this board is even better than that. When Silverio committed, some people were ecstatic, saying he was going to be better than Adams and that they had dodged a bullet because Brendan’s mom was going to be problematic. Of course, this was only after some people initially cried about cheating when they thought Silverio had decommitted from Santa Clara to go to UConn and then dropped the anger when Omar committed to Cox. Fun times that still exist over there on the recruiting board.

The game was fine. I didn’t think they’d win, and they didn’t. Most of the time I still feel like I’m watching some disjointed thrown together team like they’re freaking Nevada or something. On to VCU
Thanks for the history review Ace. I vaguely remembered some of that story and just goes to show how we as fans overrate our incoming players and underrate whoever doesn’t choose us.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 3 years ago

The game was fine. I didn’t think they’d win, and they didn’t. Most of the time I still feel like I’m watching some disjointed thrown together team like they’re freaking Nevada or something. On to VCU
It's coincidental that Silverio name was brought up, because his Hofstra team beat Richmond here just recently, although he didn't play.
His playing career has been somewhat of a disappointment so far, hasn't cracked the starting lineup.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No surprise in this result. When a cohesive ironman team of five good shooters meets a team with bench depth and good rebounding, the cohesive team wins. The differential between the two teams in turnovers - 12 - says it all. That plus the so-so FT shooting cost the Rams 7-8 points alone. As a consequence Richmond took 9 more shots than URI. Our bench depth provided no edge as Richmond didn't tire in the second half, their shooting actually showed a big improvement.

Fatts is now 1-23 on trey shooting in the last six games. Last year in his first 11 games, Fatts had 20 treys to 9 this year.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I missed this one. Was workin.

So uh... not that bad against a good team.

Definitely not St Joe's level sloppy no? Or yes?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I definitely think we over estimated the talent on this team

I thought outside of the turnovers we played pretty well but Richmond is the better more experienced team
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

There are many takes that one can have about URI basketball. Here's one:

We have a former AAU basketball coach and assistant(s). Our players grew up in these programs; they went to colleges where their new coach demanded a higher, more disciplined level of play; they didn't enjoy this as much as AAU ball; and they transferred to a college with AAU style coaching. This is who we are. Look at this collection of transfers that Cox brought here. He lost good players (Tyrese, Jacob) who wanted a higher level of coaching (DH, Calipari) that they needed to get to the next level. If we get top players, they will be "one-and-done" or they will transfer to where they will get top-level coaching.
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago There are many takes that one can have about URI basketball. Here's one:

We have a former AAU basketball coach and assistant(s). Our players grew up in these programs; they went to colleges where their new coach demanded a higher, more disciplined level of play; they didn't enjoy this as much as AAU ball; and they transferred to a college with AAU style coaching. This is who we are. Look at this collection of transfers that Cox brought here. He lost good players (Tyrese, Jacob) who wanted a higher level of coaching (DH, Calipari) that they needed to get to the next level. If we get top players, they will be "one-and-done" or they will transfer to where they will get top-level coaching.
........not a crazy take.......which I felt Ty Boswell was no great loss.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

reef wrote: 3 years ago I definitely think we over estimated the talent on this team

I thought outside of the turnovers we played pretty well but Richmond is the better more experienced team
1100% agree with this. Richmond is the better team, but we all overrated the talent we had coming in and the impact they would have. Someone like a Carey just isn’t anywhere close to his original ranking coming out of high school. Many of the new guys will get better. The coaching needs to get better also. This is transition year at this point. This team is nowhere close to a tourney team.
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

The soup of the day (for this game) was turnovers. Absolutely maddening amount of stupid passes and lack of ball protection. I dont know anymore. Our issues are just more and more widespread with each passing game. Its like we have a capacity to only improve so much before we decline in some other area.

I continue to want to blame coaching, or the lack thereof. Example (which I'm sure I will get flamed for): The team's social media account posted a video this week of the guys lined up taking half court shots and running around celebrating when Leggit hit one. Yes, I am sure it was guys messing around having fun, BUT are you really in the position to be jerking around like that? I can see if you are hitting your stride and the team is firing on all cylinders, youre winning games and you are having fun staying loose, but you're not a good team right now. Wouldn't you think practice should be a nightmare for these kids - not playtime? I mean ... you miss critical free throws at a high school level and the coaches had you stay there and shoot them until your arms fell off.

When you throw a balls away, not once but twice ...why aren't you pulled and talked to on the sideline? When you are throwing up impossible shots - consistently... why aren't you pulled and talked to on the sideline? When you turn the ball over on the dribble THREE TIMES - why aren't you pulled and talked to on the sideline? Where are the consequences of consistently stupid mistakes?! Its never there.

I firmly believe if there was more discipline, more of a game plan, and more focus on a strength we would be more successful. Being just OK at everything is getting us nowhere. We can keep beating this to death, I am sorry if you are offended, but this team is not playing to its potential because it is not being coached to its potential.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

RamStock wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago I definitely think we over estimated the talent on this team

1100% agree with this. Richmond is the better team, but we all overrated the talent we had coming in and the impact they would have. Someone like a Carey just isn’t anywhere close to his original ranking coming out of high school. Many of the new guys will get better. The coaching needs to get better also. This is transition year at this point. This team is nowhere close to a tourney team.
I agree with everything.

I do have an issue with the “transition year” mentality.

It’s year 3. It’s a “transition” because in the first 2 years we have lost 8 of 10 recruits.

When does it stop being a transition? When is it Cox’s team?

2 years an assistant. 2 years the associate HC. 2 years down as head coach. Same program. Recruited all the guys. When is he accountable?

This fees like the start of baron all over again.

Hold on let me get ready for the responses that will look a lot like:

“I told owah guyz to make shots”
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago There are many takes that one can have about URI basketball. Here's one:

WOW! This is a VERY interesting take. I like it.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

I agree with everything.

It’s year 3. It’s a “transition” because in the first 2 years we have lost 8 of 10 recruits.

2 years an assistant. 2 years the associate HC. 2 years down as head coach. Same program. Recruited all the guys. When is he accountable?

Believe me when I say that I am not defending them. This year is a complete failure to me. No excuses. Everyone across the country are in similar situations with the Covid. Are we going to use the excuse next year “well Fatts left what do you expect”
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

I agree with everything.

Believe me when I say that I am not defending them. This year is a complete failure to me. No excuses. Everyone across the country are in similar situations with the Covid. Are we going to use the excuse next year “well Fatts left what do you expect”
Honest question, what were your expectations for this year? The more specific the better.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

While the jury may be still out on Cox and his staff, the trend is troubling. The leash on Cox will last this year and next and if the results don't change in that period, he should not be extended. Street ball is both interesting and entertaining if you're driving by and stop to watch free of charge, but that view changes if you're buying a ticket for a good seat and are then are subjected to repeated disorganized, hero ball performances.

The assists and turnovers comparison between the two teams clearly showed what we already know: Richmond 16 assists vs 7 turnovers, ratio 2.29; URI 10 assists vs.19 turnovers, ratio .526. It is far easier for a player to achieve a high ratio, e.g. Dowtin's 2.82, more difficult for a team, but poised Richmond did just that. More troubling URI is getting worse - overall 14 TO's per game, and 20 in the last three games.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I agree with everything.

As been stated several times before, next year is when I have high expectations for this team, regardless of whether Fatts or Jeremy return.
Next season should give us a good parameter where this program is headed and how Cox will be judged.
Barring any major injuries or another pandemic, we should finish close to the top of the A10 in 21-22.
Remember after this year JH, Walker, DJ, AB, and Martin still have 2 years eligibility, Carey and the twins 3 years, and the freshman 4 years. Of course they all may not decide to stay here for that duration.
Regardless, unless the bottom totally falls out, Thorr will give him 5-6 years before making any changes. At least that is better than the 11 years we suffered with JB.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The take about Tyrese and Toppin leaving to get better coaching might have legs.

What if Leggett sees the writing on the wall and transfers?

How long are we supposed to give Cox to turn things around?

72's take on recruiting is spot on also. We recruit athletes first, basketball players second.

Richmond has guys with high BB IQ...so does Davidson....us not so much.

At our level and above, there's a lot of teams that play stupid basketball.

Everyone has talent....it's just a matter of what coaching does with it.

If we flop next year, Cox has to go. Simple as that.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I agree with everything.

Honest question, what were your expectations for this year? The more specific the better.
With the talent that we supposedly had coming in and a “returning” All America” candidate I don’t think it was unrealistic to think we would be fighting for a tourney bid in a league that was supposed to be vastly improved with a shot at 4 tourney teams. This team is nowhere near that! URI isn’t the only one in this league that has disappointed for sure. This league looks like a 2 bid league. What were you expectations-14-14? Look at the high expectations that people projected for us with the newcomers.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

When we win and play good teams tough, "we underestimated the talent". When lose or have bad games "we overestimated the talent". It can't be both. The talent is not the issue, thats a fact. Its the coaching staffs job to create consistency through team culture and practice. Thats the missing link, not talent.
GO RAMS
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

I agree with everything.

Year 4 is the last year for me, no tournament need to move on no matter how much you like the coach personally. I like him personally and i think he is a good recruiter. Still up in the air on his coaching, discipline, and ability to motivate the group. I’m hoping he puts it together but really no excuse next year even if a few transfer out. That would be his problem and he would need to recruit enough talent to succeed in year 4.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I didn't know Fatts was 1 for his last 23 on threes.

That is beyond disgraceful.

An average high schooler is better.

For all he does well, that is not acceptable.

Sure coach, let him keep shooting them!

P.S. Everyone overrates their talent.

We have physical talent.

Mental talent is in short supply.

Add a coach that doesn't seem to be able to figure it out, is a bad combination.

There is ZERO chance that Thorr will extend Cox after this season, unless there is a huge improvement.

Next season is the make or break year.

Keeping players and/or recruits should no longer be a factor when it comes to coaching changes. Especially in today's environment.

If the Cox experiment fails, and it's looking more and more likely it will, Thorr will not want to make the same mistake twice.
Last edited by rambone 78 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

With the talent that we supposedly had coming in and a “returning” All America” candidate I don’t think it was unrealistic to think we would be fighting for a tourney bid in a league that was supposed to be vastly improved with a shot at 4 tourney teams. This team is nowhere near that! URI isn’t the only one in this league that has disappointed for sure. This league looks like a 2 bid league. What were you expectations-14-14? Look at the high expectations that people projected for us with the newcomers.
We were picked to finish 6th in the conference on the pre season poll. Other outlets predicted an even lower finish.

I always thought we were in the 3-6 range, obviously very upside dependent on how we gelled and how other teams shaped up too.

This is exactly where we’re at currently. I really don’t get how anyone is surprised or disappointed.