URI Men's Basketball Program

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: URI Men's Basketball Program

Unread post by ramster »

RAM67 wrote: 4 years ago Who gives a shit?
As some say we should be nice to players and coaches because they read this “Shit”, I thought wouldn’t it be nice if posters were nicer to each other?

I read the Kentucky Board regarding Jacob Toppin. Some had read this board. A comment was they were surprised that cuss words were allowed here

Most boards do not allow swearing

I think moderators should not allow use of swear words. If we are concerned about families reading this then why not disallow use of the F-word?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

People who say stuff like this during this time / the offseason, what the hell else do you want to talk about? Only so much to post about this time of year, especially with the world on pause.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
As some say we should be nice to players and coaches because they read this “Shit”, I thought wouldn’t it be nice if posters were nicer to each other?

I read the Kentucky Board regarding Jacob Toppin. Some had read this board. A comment was they were surprised that cuss words were allowed here

I think moderators should not allow use of swear words. If we are concerned about families reading this then why not disallow use of the F-word?
Just stop Ramster. I'm glad Kentucky was surprised we can swear here. It is America. Or it used to be anyway.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Be careful what y'all post here...from what I've read, it can:

-discourage potential big name coaches from coming here
-keep away top notch recruits
-make good players leave

lol...if any of those three groups of people would be swayed by a message board...they're too soft to be here in the 1st place.

Carry on.

I do agree with ramster about swearing...no need for it. My dad (who did swear a fair amount, and frankly, so do I occasionally) used to say it's what people say when they can't think of anything intelligent to say.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

Just stop Ramster. I'm glad Kentucky was surprised we can swear here. It is America. Or it used to be anyway.
No I will not stop

I have never liked the swearing here.

And the personal attacks are way too common

It’s hypocritical to say we should be nice because players, recruits and families of recruits read this and then be so mean to fellow posters

Part of the problem is a troll or two who stir things up.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

And we’re jumping on Ram67 now for the most minuscule faux pas?

C’mon now pick a more worthy target folks, plenty to go around.

Jeez
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

No I will not stop

It’s hypocritical to say we should be nice because players, recruits and families of recruits read this and then be so mean to fellow posters

Where does this come off as a personal attack? Most of us have had plenty of chances to attack other posters, and some have, but this was about the subject matter not the poster. I for one would have given up my season tickets if Pitino came here, and I know of a number of others who said the same. If you want to call me a troll for giving a shorter response to the Pitino question, that's your prerogative. I'm not one to continually drag out old statistics and quotes ad nauseam to prove a point.

Again. At this point who gives a poop?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RAM67 wrote: 4 years ago

No I will not stop

Where does this come off as a personal attack? Most of us have had plenty of chances to attack other posters, and some have, but this was about the subject matter not the poster. I for one would have given up my season tickets if Pitino came here, and I know of a number of others who said the same. If you want to call me a troll for giving a shorter response to the Pitino question, that's your prerogative. I'm not one to continually drag out old statistics and quotes ad nauseam to prove a point.

Again. At this point who gives a poop?
I understand some people would give up season tix if Rick came here. Does anyone think for a second that those tix and then some, would not be snatched right up? Maybe that's why they didn't pursue him, yeah, yeah, they were afraid no one would buy season tickets?

No...no one thinks that, no one believes that.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

For crap the Pitino pulled at Louisville the NCAA should have grown some balls and barred him for life. He is the freaking poster child for the hypocrisy in college sports. He is absolute s c um.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well if Pitino should never coach again then Sean Miller and Wade also should be barred
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If URI hired Pitino, season ticket sales would go through the roof. People would increase their donations to keep their seats. Any defectors would be noise.
NCAAs or Bust!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

8-)
reef wrote: 4 years ago Well if Pitino should never coach again then Sean Miller and Wade also should be barred
None of them should be coaching. The schools that employ them have no ethics.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Well if Pitino should never coach again then Sean Miller and Wade also should be barred

Fine with me! Give them all the boot and give the morally bankrupt schools that hire them to win at any cost, the SMU Death penalty!! So that the scum bag coach and the enabling school get blasted into oblivion! That might put an end to this filth. See how many season tickets get sold when you can’t be in the tournament for at least 4 years and you lose scholarships to boot!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

This Pitino talk is a waste. Regardless of whether or not Ryan and/or any other boosters had serious discussions 2 years ago isn't really relevant. Dooley wasn't going to hire him. He was (and frankly still should be) toxic. Now, before Baron was hired, another story. He wasn't toxic then. I would have been all for it at the time. He would have brought URI back to relevance quickly and I'm sure he would have been here for only 2 or 3 years. Then any proper hire from there and we wouldn't have had coach for life. Then again any proper hire after Harrick and we wouldn't have been in that position. The only thing that makes me think that Pitino wouldn't have come here in 2001 is that he went to Louisville that season. I'm assuming even if it was serious, Louisville probably offered more. Though that is only a guess.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

My memory is fading, but wasn't there talk about Bobby Knight having interest at one time?
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago My memory is fading, but wasn't there talk about Bobby Knight having interest at one time?
I think a long long time ago. 60s or 70s before either he was at Indiana or before he made it big there. It least that's what I remember the scuttlebutt being long after the fact.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Yeah, you are thinking of when he went from the HC at Navy Army to the HC at Indiana.

However, what Rambone is referring to is, when Baron was hired, Knight had already been dumped at Indiana and had not started at Texas Tech yet. There was some talk of trying to reach out to him during the search process, but I don't know if they did or not. A few months later (maybe 1.5 to 2 months?) he became the coach at Texas Tech.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I heard that a URI booster once had some words with John Wooden at a time when URI was conducting a search for a new head coach. I never knew Wooden coming to Kingston was such a SERIOUS possibility. :lol:
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hey we got Jack Kraft to come here after 12 very successful years at Villanova. No baggage included, just a highly respected, successful big name coach.
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Villanova had to vacate a final four when Jack Kraft was there.
Depends on what you consider baggage.
He was great coach and hire though.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Villanova had to vacate a final four when Jack Kraft was there.
That final four was in 1985. Jack Kraft was already retired from URI by then.

Edit - I sit corrected. It was the 1971 Final Four that was vacated. Villanova coached by Kraft lost to UCLA. My memory had that there was something sketch about Pickney and Villanova's 1985 title, so I incorrectly assumed '85, but a quick google led me to 1971. Sorry about that Brian.
Last edited by steviep123 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Villanova had to vacate a final four when Jack Kraft was there.
Because Howard Porter signed with an agent, not because anything Kraft did. I guess you could give him some of the blame because he was the person in charge of the program. I'm not sure he ever knew about it.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

David Cox addresses URI fans:

To Rhody Nation,

First and foremost, I hope you all safe and doing well during this unusual period we all are facing.

We believe strongly in our vision and have tremendous optimism for the program. We are returning talented players, adding high-impact talent and building off last year's success.

Transfers are a major part of college sports, particularly in basketball. We are not immune to this. Many of the players we bring in to our program were also recruited at the Power 5 level. The transfer option makes the dream a realization, and I wish those who decided to exercise that option well.

That said, it is vital for the sustainability of our program to adapt and bring in players who believe in Rhode Island basketball. We have faced the significant challenges of this offseason head on. The culture at URI has been built through players who believe in URI basketball, who trust in the process, who positively contribute to the culture and who want to be here. That will not change.

Our 2020-21 roster will consist of 12/13 scholarship players with these characteristics. We have an extremely talented group of young men who can lead us to success in a manner that all of Rhody Nation will be proud of. College basketball rosters are more fluid than ever, but we have contingencies in place. Our objective is to get better every day, and we are doing exactly that.

We are excited about next season, and we have not wavered from our championship aspirations. We are working on completing our non-conference schedule, which will prepare us well for strong A-10 competition.

I am thankful for the support of our administration, donors and all of Rhody Nation. Stay safe in these difficult times.

We look forward to seeing you all soon.

Go Rhody!
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Hey that was a good message. Appropriate. Positive.

https://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/202 ... 0420pmsbkp

One thing you can say about Cox. He's got a motor, it appears he never stops going, like the energizer bunny.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

The message doesn't say anything astounding, but I love the fact that he put it together and out it out there. That shows insight, and that he understands people are freaking out a little bit.
I am glad Cox is the captain of our ship right now. I have confidence in his abilities and leadership (subject to change at a moment's notice).
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

There is a huge difference between Kraft and Pitino. Howard Porter had signed with an agent unbeknown to
Kraft or Villanova. So they had played in ineligible player . Hence the DQ.

Pitino claimed not to know about the prostitution, bribes , etc. Utter BS. There were a litany of violations
so the NCAA stripped away their title, all wins, etc. Put them on Probation. But I think they should
have gotten worse. Especially Pitino. Too often the coach and his staff commit violations. The
NCAA comes down on the school and the coach just skips away and gets another job from another
program that's will to get down in the mud with the slimy coach to "take their program to new heights",
to increase season ticket sales, to make more money. The lure of the "Success" , albeit short term,
that a "Pitino" can bring to a program, is usually too difficult for some schools to resist. So the coach
makes his splash, gets paid a lot of money, and when it hits the fan, he leaves and takes his money.
The school is left to pay for his sins. I say blast them both .

So I think Pitino and anybody who is caught doing such egregious things should be banned for life.
And the school should get the "Death Penalty" ( see SMU Football scandal 1987).
I think it would need to happen 2 or 3 times before it sinks in that the NCAA means business.
Doing it once would be considered a one off. But It' will never happen , too much money to be made
to really do what's needed to stop this stuff and the new 0 penalty transfer rule will just encourage
unscrupulous behavior. A sad testimony
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Oh yeah Slick is a bad guy, like Manson didn't kill anyone, Pitino didn't hand you any cash.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Good to read the message from DC. It does reassure my opinion that he is an adaptable kind of guy. I think he learns fast, makes adjustments and hopefully we continue to rise.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Slava Ukraini!
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Hey that was a good message. Appropriate. Positive.

https://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/202 ... 0420pmsbkp

One thing you can say about Cox. He's got a motor, it appears he never stops going, like the energizer bunny.
Love the reaching out
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah like that statement from Cox there
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago i would rather Tom Ryan lead the charge to get a practice facility in the works, instead of meeting with sleezebag coaches. IMHO
I do wonder if not hiring Pitino is why Tom Ryan hasn't built the practice facility.

He and his wife gave the largest donation EVER in URI's history last year. $35 million. $24M to the Neuroscience institute (named after his parents for their battles with Alzheimers, because he wants to find a cure for ALS which is DOPE as hell) That is an awesome donation that will make a lasting impact. It would be amazing if URI became the place to find cures for those types of neurological disorders because of that donation.

Then $10M to establish the Thomas M Ryan Scholars is where I say..um...wut? It seems like the coolest thing ever if you get it - 4 year full ride, books, dining, 1 J-term global travel experience, priority courses, honors program...I mean that's dope, but that's where I say...you couldn't have built the practice facility which would have in-turn benefited the whole university by allowing basketball to recruit, retain, and practice better? Allowing the team to play better and be better, thus bringing in more money to the university?

If I put my tin foil hat on...I almost say that scholar program is the "well if you'd have hired my choice for coach we could've built that facility but instead I'm going to put a few kids through college" type thing.

$1M to men's and women's basketball for the guy with his name on the building could seem like he's almost sending a message when you look at the tin-foil hat perspective.

I mean - again...not saying that Pitino was ever going to leave Louisville for URI - but if he did meet with him back when Hurley was hired, Tom made a $15M donation to establish his neuroscience facility. Once again, dope as shit that he's going to leave his mark on this University by establishing it as a dominant force in curing these diseases. But these major donations have come 1 year after head coaching hires.

THEORETICALLY...if I really wanted to get tin-foil hatty...his largest basketball donation, the $15M or so for the Ryan Center, came after we hired his choice for coach in Jim Harrick.

Scum bag or not - Pitino would've made us a big time program, and maybe got Ryan to be more bought in to see his guy succeed.

Dan wasn't Ryan's guy at the beginning...but he obviously was by the end, hence the offer of a mutli-million per year deal, charters, and a practice facility.

If this is the case, and we need a "Tom Ryan guy" to push the program forward and get his full support...I'm in. Hopefully Cox becomes that guy because I love Dave and who he is, and how he represents this university. Hopefully he wins enough here to get the Tom Ryan support that brings us to the next level.

Otherwise, maybe we need to let Tom Ryan do the selecting of the coach if he's willing to support everything because of it.

I'm not really sure what I wrote here - but this quarantine is making me go nuts. Apologies for letting you into my brain for the last 5 minutes.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

I am not faulting Kraft at all. Most of you have seen the Jim Valvano 30 for 30 where the NCAA agent says the kids let him down.
Almost every successful coach at URI-Harrick,Kraft, Penders and Skinner have had some baggage along the way.
I would hire any one of them,Pitino or Calipari in a NY minute.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Ballzy post BlueMan

I’ve thought the same craziness as you but didn’t have the guts (or KB cachet) to post it.

Your often even greater point about other fortunate alumni not reaching into their pockets is equally well taken. Perhaps it’s the Tootell factor?

The Fannon’s just gave $6m and placed a clever $500k challenge on it that must be met.

https://today.uri.edu/news/6-million-gi ... -business/

Good on point public statement from Cox.
Last edited by hrstrat57 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago This Pitino talk is a waste. Regardless of whether or not Ryan and/or any other boosters had serious discussions 2 years ago isn't really relevant. Dooley wasn't going to hire him. ...
So, if Tom Ryan had gone to Dooley and said Pitino would come to URI, Dooley would have told Tom Ryan "No Thanks"? Time for a Presidential search!
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Big education donors are always fantastic, but it would be NICE if they could have coughed over a few thousands to athletics.

https://today.uri.edu/news/6-million-gi ... f2dlPvkS8w
GO RAMS
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago There is a huge difference between Kraft and Pitino. Howard Porter had signed with an agent unbeknown to

Pitino claimed not to know about the prostitution, bribes , etc. Utter BS. There were a litany of violations
so the NCAA stripped away their title, all wins, etc. Put them on Probation. But I think they should
have gotten worse. Especially Pitino. Too often the coach and his staff commit violations. The
NCAA comes down on the school and the coach just skips away and gets another job from another
program that's will to get down in the mud with the slimy coach to "take their program to new heights",
to increase season ticket sales, to make more money. The lure of the "Success" , albeit short term,
that a "Pitino" can bring to a program, is usually too difficult for some schools to resist. So the coach
makes his splash, gets paid a lot of money, and when it hits the fan, he leaves and takes his money.

So I think Pitino and anybody who is caught doing such egregious things should be banned for life.
I think it would need to happen 2 or 3 times before it sinks in that the NCAA means business.
Doing it once would be considered a one off. But It' will never happen , too much money to be made
to really do what's needed to stop this stuff and the new 0 penalty transfer rule will just encourage
“That’ll never happen while I’m around.” — Obvious nepotism hire Dan Gavitt
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago There is a huge difference between Kraft and Pitino. Howard Porter had signed with an agent unbeknown to

“That’ll never happen while I’m around.” — Obvious nepotism hire Dan Gavitt Anyone who's been paying attention
Fixed that for ya.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago I'm not really sure what I wrote here - but this quarantine is making me go nuts. Apologies for letting you into my brain for the last 5 minutes.
It was brilliant. Stream of conscience post that made a lot of sense.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

So obviously the same honor would have to go to Jim Harrick a guy who put 3 out of 4 schools he coached at on probation after he left. I can pretty much guarantee if someone had checked into his time at Pepperdine he would have a perfect record for putting schools on probation.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Yeah, but the rules have changed. Now, you get rewarded for such behavior apparently
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ultimately head coaches should get the blame even if they didn’t know that their assistants were going behind their backs and breaking rules

I tend to believe Pitino didn’t know that hookers were brought in and that they offered to pay Bowen that money but he admits that ultimately he takes the fall cuz he is in charge

That’s why I am surprised Miller and Wade were able to keep their jobs regardless if they knew there was wrongdoing
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Miller and Wade sure as hell knew what they were doing....Wade was caught on tape talking about paying for recruits....

How they still have jobs shows the hypocrisy of the NCAA....not only that, their respective school administrators should have punished them also.

I'm sure the NCAA just wants all of this to go away and pretend it didn't happen.

But Buffalo just got probation.....they are quick to nail the little guys, but the cash cows? No chance.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The message from Cox and the program with DiSano are damage control., likely ordered by Thorr . My guess is season ticket renewals are going slow.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago The message from Cox and the program with DiSano are damage control., likely ordered by Thorr . My guess is season ticket renewals are going slow.
Sales couldn’t be low for any other reasons, huh? :roll:
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

BlackDogRants wrote: 4 years ago
89er wrote: 4 years ago Ok so I have been a follower of KB for years. I hardly ever post as you see. However, I have come to appreciate who are rational posters. IMO they are BlueRam, 83, Big apple ram, DC, Iggy, Sec 205, Bos, Rod (rip), I may have missed one but so many of you are just full of shit!! Call it pent up Covid19 frustration
Sorry.
Oh I didn't make the list?! Fine... I will be entering my name into the message board transfer portal.

Kidding... I love this board!
I always love the lurkers who come and say, "I like these five posters and everyone else sucks".

I'm full of a lot of things, and shit isn't one of them. :D
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I love swearing! Is shit even a swear word? Turd? Dookie? Poo?

"Cuss words" seriously??? HAH! I swear so freely, it's probably unladylike but I believe it adds spice to a conversation and is necessary. I've spent a decent amount of time in the south and they're passive aggressive AF down there.

People in the south say "bless your heart" in lieu of "go F yourself"

https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing-i ... scientists
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Season tickets sales are off mostly due to the fact that there might not even BE a season.

The roster turnover is part of it, for sure.

There aren't going to be large crowds allowed anywhere for a long time to come, unless a miracle drug is found soon.

States that are starting to open things up will find out soon that it's a mistake.

That's only going to make things worse.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Be careful what y'all post here...from what I've read, it can:

-discourage potential big name coaches from coming here
-keep away top notch recruits
-make good players leave

lol...if any of those three groups of people would be swayed by a message board...they're too soft to be here in the 1st place.

Carry on.

I do agree with ramster about swearing...no need for it. My dad (who did swear a fair amount, and frankly, so do I occasionally) used to say it's what people say when they can't think of anything intelligent to say.
100% - if those groups of people can't handle the URI message board then they have no shot of success anywhere with bright lights. We expect success here, nothing wrong with that. If I was a good player at URI and came on the message board to see someone pointing out a flaw in my game I would be pissed for awhile, then hit the gym to prove those people wrong not cut bait and go to a place where no one ever questions my abilities. If no one is questioning your game then no one is seeing your game (unless you are Kobe or MJ which lets face it chances are if you are playing at URI you are not).
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I recently renewed my tickets. I asked how it's been going and they admitted that many fans haven't renewed due to the way our season ended and losing some fan favorites. People loved Toppin and no one knows if Fatts is coming back.

I'm also changing seats. I"m heading over to 211. I was in 204 and fans would yell at me to sit down when I was cheering for our home team. I really hope 211 has more energy.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING