Roster 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: Roster 2020-21

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm biting my tongue on my reservations about the Mitchell's "buying in" because I want to give them a real chance to prove they are winners, without my reservations or expectations. That said, I hope all the pieces fit and we have a Dayton like run next season.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago I'm biting my tongue on my reservations about the Mitchell's "buying in" because I want to give them a real chance to prove they are winners, without my reservations or expectations. That said, I hope all the pieces fit and we have a Dayton like run next season.
After the shitshow 2020 has been so far that would be absolutely wonderful.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago I'm biting my tongue on my reservations about the Mitchell's "buying in" because I want to give them a real chance to prove they are winners, without my reservations or expectations. That said, I hope all the pieces fit and we have a Dayton like run next season.
Why not!

Thing Big! We Do!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Unless this NCAA rule gets passed (seems unlikely), waiver seems like the only option for the Mitchell's to be eligible next year....
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I have yet to see the stars align where all the players/transfers we want to be eligible in a season actually end up being eligible. Not getting my hopes up.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Unless this NCAA rule gets passed (seems unlikely), waiver seems like the only option for the Mitchell's to be eligible next year....
There is no basis for a waiver

They will be eligible 2021-22 season unless the immediate transfer eligibility Big 10 Proposal/ACC Endorsed is approved effective for 2020-21 season
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Why is the new transfer rule unlikely too pass now ??

I thought a couple weeks ago it was more likely to pass than not ???
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Why is the new transfer rule unlikely too pass now ??

It is likely to pass this year but recent rumors in the past few days have been that Immediate eligibility would not be effective until the 2021-22 season, which hurts URI for Twins and Martin for next season. They would have to sit out a year just as Tyrese would at UConn.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

It is likely to pass this year but recent rumors in the past few days have been that Immediate eligibility would not be effective until the 2021-22 season, which hurts URI for Twins and Martin for next season. They would have to sit out a year just as Tyrese would at UConn.
If true that is almost too funny. The NCAA should get some kind of golden jack-ass award for thinking that up. They are going to do away with a punitive one year wait for transfers but wait one year to implement the change? I could not have made that up as a possibility.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago

If true that is almost too funny. The NCAA should get some kind of golden jack-ass award for thinking that up. They are going to do away with a punitive one year wait for transfers but wait one year to implement the change? I could not have made that up as a possibility.
It’s classic

But the NCAA didn’t even come up with the idea, it was the BIG 10. Then AAC endorsed it. NCAA getting pushed into a corner to make a decision and they can’t do it. Need a year to think about it?

All these transfers will have to sit out this year but then next year all transfers will be immediately available to play.

But let’s say there are 400 Transfers sitting in a Holding Pen waiting their year, then they year those 400 are “released” means 400 HS or JUCO or GRAD Transfers will not get a College Basketball Roster Slot. Those 400 in the Holding Pen have to go somewhere.

After the new rule the Holding Pen will be empty.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I think a lot of it has to do with timing. Because of COVID-19, everything has been delayed. The NCAA is now set to vote on this in June. I'm sure a big part of the rationale behind the implementation change is that at the end of June if that had this vote and approved it immediately for this season, there would likely be another exodus of players who want to transfer. In some respects, it might help a school because they'd get guys eligible immediately, but it wouldn't be so helpful if they lost a key piece or two who didn't want to sit so they didn't transfer but now that's not an issue.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BIG 10 offered the Proposal in January 2020. Endorsed by the ACC in Mid February 2020.

Due to the potential impact on players and coaches it would make sense to have kept the April Decision. Easily can have conference calls, video conferences. Nobody has anything else to do anyway in college basketball. Just make a decision NCAA. Yes or no. P5 Pressure is making NCAA crazy.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/01/31/b ... tes-sports
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago BIG 10 offered the Proposal in January 2020. Endorsed by the ACC in Mid February 2020.

Due to the potential impact on players and coaches it would make sense to have kept the April Decision. Easily can have conference calls, video conferences. Nobody has anything else to do anyway in college basketball. Just make a decision NCAA. Yes or no. P5 Pressure is making NCAA crazy.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/01/31/b ... tes-sports
They already voted on the extra year of eligibility for winter and spring sports...you can't expect them to exert themselves and have TWO calls in the same month now. There wouldn't be enough time to pat themselves on the back.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

They weren't just getting into a room and voting.

1) They were going to have a different panels of student-athlete representatives, conference offices, coaches associations, and other collegiate organizations to ask questions, get feedback, etc.

2) Conversations need to be had with the transfer working group

3) Criteria need to be developed

This is an important vote and they are just looking to throw shit at the wall and try to make it stick which is surprisingly what you would like for them to do. You have all these panels dealing with real-world problems, not just focusing on how to change the transfer rule.

At this time, there are more important things in the world than trying to quickly throw a vote together. You only care because it will benefit you. If it were benefitting anyone else you'd probably be the one talking about how they should take their time, make sure they do it right, can't believe they are rushing it, etc.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago They weren't just getting into a room and voting.

1) They were going to have a different panels of student-athlete representatives, conference offices, coaches associations, and other collegiate organizations to ask questions, get feedback, etc.

2) Conversations need to be had with the transfer working group

3) Criteria need to be developed

This is an important vote and they are just looking to throw shit at the wall and try to make it stick which is surprisingly what you would like for them to do. You have all these panels dealing with real-world problems, not just focusing on how to change the transfer rule.

At this time, there are more important things in the world than trying to quickly throw a vote together. You only care because it will benefit you. If it were benefitting anyone else you'd probably be the one talking about how they should take their time, make sure they do it right, can't believe they are rushing it, etc.
Do you know if I am for it or against it?

Do you know if I would want it in for this season or wait until next season?

I don’t know what you would want, I could guess.

It’s really not that hard a decision. The lawyers who are lined up ready to sue might help expedite the decision. The students playing other sports than football, basketball can transfer with immediate eligibility, why can’t football and basketball? The lawyers are coming.
51CF4C2C-B293-43F8-BD66-0A377DA9DC0D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I think you are against it, but because URI is likely in a complete rebuild next year without it, you see the writing on the wall and want it done so the team is capable of competing. Just a hunch, maybe I'm wrong.

As for me, I don't like the rule change either. I believe it should be situational, like if a coach leaves, or reward student-athletes who maintain a certain level of GPA. I don't agree with blanket one-time transfer immunity.

But, I also understand there is a global pandemic going on. I work with organizations where we have to have video conferencing, and these experiences have been brutal. These are also with limited numbers, not trying to organize dozens of people into video conferences.

While people still have jobs that have to be done, things still need to get done the proper way, while not just discussing current rule changes, but planning for life during and hopefully after COVID-19. Not for anything, but figuring out the safe return of fall sports is far more important than transfer eligibility. You have to remember that many of these committee members serve in many other roles that require much more attention at this time.

The lawyers can line up, I don't know what leg they have to stand on.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I don't see the complete rebuild. The way people talk about basketball on this board you would think you needed 12 players that were all seniors with 60 starts under their belt. URI returned a lot to this past year's team. They were in the tournament most of the year and were denied an opportunity to finish strong.

Now this upcoming year URI returns a lot. It would also help to let the transfers play, but without them URI will have a POY/All American candidate along side a couple of other guys that have shown talent and should take a step forward.

Complete rebuild??????? Stop.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ponder the outrage if Tyrese gets to play and the twins have to sit...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Or if Tyrese gets to play and Malik Martin doesn’t
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

The NCAA is a joke. I do agree with Ramster though. I’m sure lawyers have already drafted a class action suit and are just waiting to submit. Every student athlete in the transfer portal could easily jump on.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Or if Tyrese gets to play and Malik Martin doesn’t
Even a sleazy operation like the NCAA can’t make this happen. Is Tyrese’s waiver going to be “I need to go to a great school like UConn and they need me next year?”
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago I don't see the complete rebuild. The way people talk about basketball on this board you would think you needed 12 players that were all seniors with 60 starts under their belt. URI returned a lot to this past year's team. They were in the tournament most of the year and were denied an opportunity to finish strong.

Now this upcoming year URI returns a lot. It would also help to let the transfers play, but without them URI will have a POY/All American candidate along side a couple of other guys that have shown talent and should take a step forward.

Rebuild may have not been the right word but I didn't know what to substitute. URI without the transfers is in a very different place then they are with them. They'll win games because of Fatts but they'll have literally no depth, especially in the front-court. Injuries/foul trouble will be a killer. With the transfers people slot better, there is plenty of depth, and it makes Fatts better because he might not see the defensive pressure. Plus, it's more strikes at improvement. I also have a hard time looking at 5 guys and saying "We'll be great if 3-4 guys significantly improve." Better odds when you look at 8 guys and say "We'll be great if 3-4 guys significantly improve." Not everyone develops the way we hope they will.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago I don't see the complete rebuild. The way people talk about basketball on this board you would think you needed 12 players that were all seniors with 60 starts under their belt. URI returned a lot to this past year's team. They were in the tournament most of the year and were denied an opportunity to finish strong.

Rebuild may have not been the right word but I didn't know what to substitute. URI without the transfers is in a very different place then they are with them. They'll win games because of Fatts but they'll have literally no depth, especially in the front-court. Injuries/foul trouble will be a killer. With the transfers people slot better, there is plenty of depth, and it makes Fatts better because he might not see the defensive pressure. Plus, it's more strikes at improvement. I also have a hard time looking at 5 guys and saying "We'll be great if 3-4 guys significantly improve." Better odds when you look at 8 guys and say "We'll be great if 3-4 guys significantly improve." Not everyone develops the way we hope they will.
We will have one of the weakest frontcourts in the conference. Without our transfers we are going to murdered inside. Unless Jermaine Harris wakes up and learns how to defend I expect us to lose a LOT of games.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think the NCAA, if they pass the no sit out rule in June, will make it effective for the 2020-21 season, if there is one.

I mean there will be close to 1000 transfers, most of whom would have to sit out if they wait until 2021-22.

That's about 3 per team, and almost 25% of the entire total of D1 players in the country.

Of course, expecting the NCAA to do anything that makes sense is probably wishful thinking.

Anyway, as it affects URI, we are in big trouble if the twins and Malik can't play.

And who knows who we'll get with the last two spots, at this point anyway.

Maybe Tyrese saw that coming....
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I think the NCAA, if they pass the no sit out rule in June, will make it effective for the 2020-21 season, if there is one.

I mean there will be close to 1000 transfers, most of whom would have to sit out if they wait until 2021-22.

That's about 3 per team, and almost 25% of the entire total of D1 players in the country.
Yes, but that was the rule when they transferred. I know there were comments from one of the PC transfers that said something like "If I can play, great, but I knew there was a good chance when I transferred I'd have to sit next year."

The risk (which is why I think they want to pause it a year if they do vote in June), is what if you had guys like Fatts or Harris who said "I'd want to transfer but I'm not going to sit a year." All of a sudden in late-June the NCAA says "Great news, you don't have to sit next year," and those guys say "See ya!!!" Now, in late June URI loses 2 key players. Not as significant since they already have 3 transfers coming in, but not everyone is so fortunate. Now teams can't focus on recruiting for 2021, because they are chasing transfers in July/August trying to fill out their roster.

That's a very different scenario then waiting till next year for the rule to go into effect, and now all of those players will announce their intents to transfer typically between March 15 - April 15, and teams will know where their roster stands by June 1st or July 1st heading into summer recruiting.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

As for there being a next season.....it's beginning to look like some of the pro leagues are planning to restart or start their seasons in the summer or fall, but play without fans. There will not be any large gatherings for a long time. The NFL is hopeful, but I doubt it.

But what about college football and basketball?

Expect for a select few who have huge TV revenues, how could colleges play their games without gate receipts?

And little or no NCAA money coming in?

That's something to think about.

RJ, that's a good point. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

For URI it might be better to NOT have a season.
Last edited by rambone 78 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I think the NCAA, if they pass the no sit out rule in June, will make it effective for the 2020-21 season, if there is one.

Yes, but that was the rule when they transferred. I know there were comments from one of the PC transfers that said something like "If I can play, great, but I knew there was a good chance when I transferred I'd have to sit next year."

The risk (which is why I think they want to pause it a year if they do vote in June), is what if you had guys like Fatts or Harris who said "I'd want to transfer but I'm not going to sit a year." All of a sudden in late-June the NCAA says "Great news, you don't have to sit next year," and those guys say "See ya!!!" Now, in late June URI loses 2 key players. Not as significant since they already have 3 transfers coming in, but not everyone is so fortunate. Now teams can't focus on recruiting for 2021, because they are chasing transfers in July/August trying to fill out their roster.

The possibility exists by changing the rule so late that you get a smaller, but significant wave of players who decide they are going to go somewhere else. It's not just about the current transfer pool. It would become chaos.
I agree with this. There are definitely a number of high level players that aren't interested in transferring if they have to sit out a year. I could see someone like Fatts leaving at the last minute if the sit-out rule is waived.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Add Tres Berry to the roster.

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I will, Sir!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If Fatts comes back, we ALL should want this transfer rule to pass to have all these transfers eligible to play with Fatts and this team.
Go Rhody
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Nice plot twist. I am glad he has a chance to attend URI.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I like the guys we have. I like bringing in multiple ball handlers between that 6'3-6'5 range that offer something in other areas.

Really looks like the URI type roster that we have had over the recent past.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago I like the guys we have. I like bringing in multiple ball handlers between that 6'3-6'5 range that offer something in other areas.

Really looks like the URI type roster that we have had over the recent past.
We have the big guards and most importantly bigger bigs!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Kid has a 6’10 wing span. That’s freakish.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Stretch Armstrong, eat your heart out
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I really like this roster as it is now. If the transfers are eligible and Fatts returns for his final season. Could be a very exciting season.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Assuming Fatts comes back, who would be starting alongside him in the backcourt? Sheppard??
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

yep, gotta go with the Seeeeeen-yahs!

seriously, to gotta go with the experience and ease the newbies in there. You only start a freshman backcourt from day one if you are doing a total rebuild and you don't necessarily care if the team only goes 0.500.

But, the three freshman guards will be worked in, no doubt.

Last year, they essentially played a three guard offense with Dowton, Fatts, Martin. So, most likely more of that with Sheppard, Fatts, Martin, with Wood, Leggett, Berry as their respective understudies.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

By extension, if Fatts doesn't return, Leggett is the slasher, he might get a chance to break the starting rotation.

Tres spells Martin on the wing.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

So many possibilities, here are a few:

Right now you have (starters/backup):

Sheppard/Wood
Fatts/Leggett
Martin/Berry
Makhi/Toppin
Harris/Makhel

leaves Walker, Johnson. There isn't room for a 12 man rotation, and there are a lot of variables here.

Big lineup:

Sheppard
Martin
Toppin
Makhi
Makhel

Small lineup:

Fatts
Leggett
Martin
Toppin
Harris/Walker

All Defense:

Fatts
Berry
Martin
Toppin
Harris/Makhi?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Toppin could find his way into the starting Lineup
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Toppin cshould find his way himself into the starting Lineup
If he doesn't start, that will have to mean a very strong lineup
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

My guess:
Fatts/Ish
Shepard/Berry
Toppin/Martin
Harris/Walker
Makhi/Makhel
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

"Jeremy Carter-Sheppard, who sat out this year after the NCAA denied his transfer waiver for immediate eligibility, has played to rave reviews behind closed doors and is expected to be a considerable part of the Rams attack next season."

giovanni
Carlton Owens

We have had a lot of roster movement and it is exciting. But let us not forget we got some excellent players already hear.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I have not been involved in AAU, prep , HS or any type of insider basketball for close to 20 years. But still love watching and talking about prospects. . I have zero current contacts like 83, DC, Bos and a few other do. But the name Jeremy Carter Sheppard rang a bell. Reached out to a couple friends in mid Atlantic. Gave me this in a nutshell:

"excellent shooter, excellent ball handler", "quick and creative", "frail" and "looks like 2 guard skills with 1 g size" " defense?" "definitely D 1 talent but could be anywhere from low level D-1 to P5"

Editing what I was told. Means nothing clearly and from 2016 but something to read.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago I have not been involved in AAU, prep , HS or any type of insider basketball for close to 20 years. But still love watching and talking about prospects. . I have zero current contacts like 83, DC, Bos and a few other do. But the name Jeremy Carter Sheppard rang a bell. Reached out to a couple friends in mid Atlantic. Gave me this in a nutshell:

"excellent shooter, excellent ball handler", "quick and creative", "frail" and "looks like 2 guard skills with 1 g size" " defense?" "definitely D 1 talent but could be anywhere from low level D-1 to P5"

Editing what I was told. Means nothing clearly and from 2016 but something to read.
That was said before he was on the AAC all rookie team if it was from 2016.

East Carolina highlights

JUCO highlights

Pretty easy to see the appeal.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Shooter Team:

Fatts
Sheppard
Berry
DJ Johnson
Makhi?
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Shooter Team:

Fatts
Sheppard
Berry
DJ Johnson
Makhi?
Don’t forget Toppin - who has a good looking shot which I expect will start to fall more next year. This may be the best outside shooting team we have seen at Rhody in a long time. Multiple outside threats on the court at once will make is so teams can’t pack the zone against us, it has been a flaw in our teams for over a decade, we have one or two slightly above average shooters and maybe one other guy who is average. Need a team full of average 3 point shooters with a couple elite guys. Get team shooting from 3 over 35%, maintain defensive intensity we are in business.