Roster Management

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Re: Roster Management

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Or this is just a bad take from some out of shape idiot sitting on his couch...
Hey! You're looking at my gut! I'm working on it!

rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Re: Roster Management

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I think Coach Cox is still on track. We just need a quality big man (just! abracadabra!) because the loss of CL next year is going to sting, and coupled with the loss of Tate, that is going to leave this team very thin down low, even with the emergence of Walker and Harris.

Tate is IMO the only departure that hurts a bit. He would have either been a 6th man for his career, or next year he would have had a real opportunity to crack the starting line up. It would seem, however, with the little information we have on this board about what transpired, that there was a lot of misc personal drama there that was starting to effect the team, and you just cannot have that for long, as a coach. It's unfortunate, but without knowing more, I think how Cox handled it was how I would have handled it if I were in his shoes. Which I'm not.

I was very vocal about, not necessarily not hiring Cox, but making more of an effort to give outsider candidates a fair shake at the job when it was available. And, I am happy to say that I was wrong. Cox was a great hire. There is already plenty of proof of that. I took last year off from posting, and I still had some doubts, but he really won me over with the late season drive. That really impresses me. I'm not sure who has been paying attention, but that has rarely been the case over the last 3 decades or so. I think the worst culprit was Jim Baron, with the annual Top-25 ranking by Christmas almost every year, only to peter out the last month of the season during the A-10 and not even play post season, or barely make the NIT. He wasn't the only one guilty of that though.

And Cox has a lot of intangibles that I like. He keeps his chill with the officials, he draws up very smart plays during TO's, he calls TO's in a logical fashion and manages the game well. There is just a lot to like there.