11/24 | LSU | 2:30PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/24 | LSU | 2:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah this season has gone as expected to me WITH SHEPPARD AND WALKER.

Yet!

I did not we would play at the level we have thus far without them.

With Fatts leading the way!

Jeff not playing like Jeff.

We got some dudes on our team.

LSU played this good because the Utah State game fired them up so they were on their p's and q's, which we can't keep up with, without Sheppard and Walker.

So we pretty much know we would be GREAT with them, alas we do not have them and we can still easily make the dance this year as walker will enter the lineup.

I've watched the rest of the A-10. A much tougher league, but right now I'd say only VCU and Dayton look better than us.

That dont worry me.

BECAUSE WE OWN THEM.

We are six games in and have played QUALITY basketball and we are only going to get better.

Our sophomores need to keep growing.

Toppin is ready. Hes out there eating. Only gonna get better.

Really think we need Hammond to step up and give us a little more guard depth. Maybe not need, but it would be great.

I will not be worried unless we lose to PC WVU and West Ky.

Even though we aren't going to lose to PC because Fatts is going to EVICERATE Pipsqueak.

GO RHODY
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago Wait a minute... On Jermaine's insta story it looks like him and Cyril are doing Hookah or something....
...They’re 18 and it’s legal?
Go Rhody
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago Wait a minute... On Jermaine's insta story it looks like him and Cyril are doing Hookah or something....
I don't care what they do. I was just pointing it out lol
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If we can avoid major injuries, this team will continue to improve faster than other teams. Jeff seems to be playing more off-guard than point guard. He is better at PG, but Fatts needs the ball in his hands to be most effective. This will work itself out in time. Let's hope a light goes on with Harris.
NCAAs or Bust!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Need Tate's light to also go on. He is now 1 for 13 shooting 3's this year
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Hookah sucks
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Hookah sucks
Yeah. Isn’t hookah worse than smoking cigarettes?
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

I expected this game to be a loss and am OK with the loss. What I’m not OK with is today’s defense. We consistently failed to box out and allowed about 6-7 tip ins. 96 points is a lot to give up to any team. Defending takes effort and most today seemed not to want to put forth the effort on defense.

The sophomore class has been disappointing so far. They haven’t progressed as much as most of us expected. Harris has shown flashes of getting better (same as last year) but isn’t giving us enough yet. Martin has little assertiveness to his game right now and has been hurting us. To me, Tate has the build of a 4 (banger) but doesn’t have the game for it. I still think they can be very good players for us but am getting tired of this “give them time” approach.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago

I havent done that since it used to be cool.

Made me wanna throw up.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
Yup
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

Made me wanna throw up.
It’s more popular than ever. 4th of July I saw a group of ladies who actually brought their entire hookah setup to Narragansett Town Beach. Smoking some hookah isn’t exactly having a kale smoothie but one night of imbibing is fine by me!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

Made me wanna throw up.
It’s more popular than ever. 4th of July I saw a group of ladies who actually brought their entire hookah setup to Narragansett Town Beach. Smoking some hookah isn’t exactly having a kale smoothie but one night of imbibing is fine by me!

Let them live some life in jamaica!

Imbibing can give you some perspective.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

DcRam , sure I understand we need better defense but I think LSU was offensively on another level in the second half . They were hungry after blowing a 19 point lead on Friday and they took it out on URI . today they were just too athletic and had more adrenaline pushing them . They may never have
such a hot shooting game this season . they also got some lucky bounces that went their way that helped fuel their hot streak and added momentum .
So i agree maybe URI could have done a better job boxing out etc. but in the end LSU was hot and were the better athletes as well. Unless URI could match the shooting and offensive rebounding there was no way for the Rams to win . i don't think LSU played better defense . It was all on the offensive
side with their athletes at times jumping over block out attempts to tap in misses . That is difficult to stop when they are getting up higher than us.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

luke wrote: 4 years ago DcRam , sure I understand we need better defense but I think LSU was offensively on another level in the second half . They were hungry after blowing a 19 point lead on Friday and they took it out on URI . today they were just too athletic and had more adrenaline pushing them . They may never have
such a hot shooting game this season . they also got some lucky bounces that went their way that helped fuel their hot streak and added momentum .
So i agree maybe URI could have done a better job boxing out etc. but in the end LSU was hot and were the better athletes as well. Unless URI could match the shooting and offensive rebounding there was no way for the Rams to win . i don't think LSU played better defense . It was all on the offensive
side with their athletes at times jumping over block out attempts to tap in misses . That is difficult to stop when they are getting up higher than us.
I actually agree with you.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Not sure why people are up in arms. Very tough matchup for us, and even moreso when they are hitting from perimeter. I think we looked a step slow on D, but that team is explosive offensively. For context they put up 82 at VCU who has a Top 20 D. Scored 80s vs Utah State the other night.

Def was a game we needed 2 bigs in there at all times and where we really were missing Walker. Got killed when Cyril would challenge the shot and leave their bigger guys against our smaller guys for rebounds. Harris is improving, its baby steps but its getting there. Really needed Tyrese to have a big game today and he was a no show. Kinda funny you guys are all forgetting he hit 2 dagger threes to seal the Nicholls and North Texas games. Today was a tough one for him but that kid is a player just has to find consistency like most young guys.

I never had this game as a W anyhow, there are plenty of winnable games left on our schedule and I like our chances in the A10.
I think it’s the difference between posting during the game and taking it all in and posting afterwards.

I’m just here for the Fatts appreciation.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody22 wrote: 4 years ago I expected this game to be a loss and am OK with the loss. What I’m not OK with is today’s defense. We consistently failed to box out and allowed about 6-7 tip ins. 96 points is a lot to give up to any team. Defending takes effort and most today seemed not to want to put forth the effort on defense.

The sophomore class has been disappointing so far. They haven’t progressed as much as most of us expected. Harris has shown flashes of getting better (same as last year) but isn’t giving us enough yet. Martin has little assertiveness to his game right now and has been hurting us. To me, Tate has the build of a 4 (banger) but doesn’t have the game for it. I still think they can be very good players for us but am getting tired of this “give them time” approach.
Defense is the one area I think will be helped by Walker and we are hurting. It hurt us last year not having a big to come off the bench for Jermaine and it is hurting us again.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Yeah this season has gone as expected to me WITH SHEPPARD AND WALKER.

Yet!

LSU played this good because the Utah State game fired them up so they were on their p's and q's, which we can't keep up with, without Sheppard and Walker.

So we pretty much know we would be GREAT with them, alas we do not have them and we can still easily make the dance this year as walker will enter the lineup.

I've watched the rest of the A-10. A much tougher league, but right now I'd say only VCU and Dayton look better than us.

That dont worry me.

BECAUSE WE OWN THEM.

We are six games in and have played QUALITY basketball and we are only going to get better.

Really think we need Hammond to step up and give us a little more guard depth. Maybe not need, but it would be great.

Even though we aren't going to lose to PC because Fatts is going to EVICERATE Pipsqueak.

GO RHODY
Sheppard and especially not Walker we’re going to make a bit of difference against Maryland and LSU. We have no idea either of these two really are. Sheppard has a much better chance to help the team this year. Walker at most would have been a guy to give the big men a breather off the bench with some defensive impact and none on the offensive side against these teams. We need better production from our core.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Like Ace said, I'm taken to wait until after these games are over before commenting.

Not much to add after this one, anyway, other than the fact this team presently isn't good enough to dance.

Now not saying they won't or can't however, before people jump on me for saying that.
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Mark Macon »

I agree with some of the posters. Good, not a "really good" team right now. NOT an NCAA team, maybe NIT. Losing Walker (early on) and Sheppard took us from a possible NCAA team to NIT (maybe).

Ramon Rivas says hi.
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Pleased to be where we are considering all of the transfer dynamics.

Yesterday was a little disappointing. Here is my two cents on the game
- Fatts played a great game - kid has matured
-Cyril played is usual physical game - he is a man
-Jeff is trying to do things we didnt see in his first 3 years.
-Tyrese - is lost. Just isnt in the flow. Shot selection is questionable and hustle and grit needs to elevate
-Jermaine - I think is playing very well. He is giving it his all - making good progress
-Dana - just looks tentative on Offense (too many turnovers) shot isnt falling - not for lack of effort
-Toppin - love the minutes he is giving as a freshman

Bottom line - thought it would be a closer game yesterday. Fatts & Cyril kept us in it. You have to tip your cap to LSU - they were making 3's and picking up lots of Offensive Rebounds as well as being physical as hell. I didnt think LSU was that talented. All of their bigs can shoot. Looks at what Williams did to us on the offensive glass as well as making some tough shots. LSU played really well.

Lets get back to the W's on Wednesday ( should be a contest to see how many people show up for that one)

WVU is going to be tough

Then rest up and get ready to BEAT PC
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

2 things that could "save us" and be good enough to dance, are the continued emergence of Jacob Toppin and whatever Walker can give us.

JT is 2 full years behind his brother, in terms of basketball and physical development.

But you can see the potential.

Otherwise we pretty much know what we've got already. Fatts has to continue to play well for us to have a chance against better teams, that's for sure.

Sheppard, from what I was told, is the best shooter in practice, and a pretty good defender.

Big loss.

As for Martin, don't know what his problem is. He's a lot better than he's shown lately.

I mean, all the guys get frustrated at times....but it looks like when Tyrese gets frustrated, it affects his play more than it should.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Yeah this season has gone as expected to me WITH SHEPPARD AND WALKER.

Yet!

That dont worry me.

BECAUSE WE OWN THEM.

GO RHODY
Sheppard and especially not Walker we’re going to make a bit of difference against Maryland and LSU. We have no idea either of these two really are. Sheppard has a much better chance to help the team this year. Walker at most would have been a guy to give the big men a breather off the bench with some defensive impact and none on the offensive side against these teams. We need better production from our core.
Putting Sheppard aside, bc the situations are different and seems there was very little chance he was ever going to suit up from Day 1 for us. Strictly talking about Walker...and disagree he wouldn't have made a difference against Maryland and LSU. Whether he scores a point or not (we scored 83 points so scoring wasn't the issue) Walker is a dude, he's 6'7" and muscular and plays way above the rim. LSU had like 4 of those types of guys and we really had 1.5 (Cyril and sometimes JH). When one of them were out (and JH is out often due to foul trouble including yesterday) was when we were most exposed inside. Cyril challenges a shot and it leaves some combo of Dowtin/Tate/Tyrese to try and get a board, when those 3 are going up against 6'6"-6-7" athletic and stronger guys its a battle we will lose. And that happened on multiple occasions yesterday.
Only teams like UMD and LSU have that kind of athleticism and strength up front and that is specifically an area where I would hope Walker contributes right away - rebounding and interior defense.

From what I have heard in practice Sheppard has a similar game as Xavier Munford. :evil:
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago

Yet!

That dont worry me.

BECAUSE WE OWN THEM.

GO RHODY
Putting Sheppard aside, bc the situations are different and seems there was very little chance he was ever going to suit up from Day 1 for us. Strictly talking about Walker...and disagree he wouldn't have made a difference against Maryland and LSU. Whether he scores a point or not (we scored 83 points so scoring wasn't the issue) Walker is a dude, he's 6'7" and muscular and plays way above the rim. LSU had like 4 of those types of guys and we really had 1.5 (Cyril and sometimes JH). When one of them were out (and JH is out often due to foul trouble including yesterday) was when we were most exposed inside. Cyril challenges a shot and it leaves some combo of Dowtin/Tate/Tyrese to try and get a board, when those 3 are going up against 6'6"-6-7" athletic and stronger guys its a battle we will lose. And that happened on multiple occasions yesterday.
Only teams like UMD and LSU have that kind of athleticism and strength up front and that is specifically an area where I would hope Walker contributes right away - rebounding and interior defense.

From what I have heard in practice Sheppard has a similar game as Xavier Munford. :evil:

They easily make a difference.

Those games are not blow outs or double digit losses with them out there. We are likely to be in it until the end against LSU with them out there.

All you have to do is watch Sheppards ECU highlight film to know we basically lost a taller Fatts who shoots threes better.

Walker is a super athletic 4 star high major forward.

LSU and Maryland will he anywhere from a 2 seed to a 5 seed and we were right there with LSU and for the majority of the game against Maryland.

It's a little unfair for people to say "yep, NIT team" because we lost to two of the better teams out there.

I think we are pretty bubblicious at this point.

We also wont play anyone else as good as LSU and Maryland.

Dont think PC and WVU have the horses to keep us at arms length unless we are just flat out there.

I stand encouraged about Rhody at this point.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It has become a long standing Rhody fan tradition to always assume that the one or two (or in the case of 2013, like 6) guys who are not able to play for whatever reason would have been the difference maker. I have fallen into the trap quite a few times myself. I am hopeful Walker will be a solid contributor when he is eligible, but I am not going to assume anything this time around.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Those games are not blow outs or double digit losses with them out there. We are likely to be in it until the end against LSU with them out there.

All you have to do is watch Sheppards ECU highlight film to know we basically lost a taller Fatts who shoots threes better.

LSU and Maryland will he anywhere from a 2 seed to a 5 seed and we were right there with LSU and for the majority of the game against Maryland.

It's a little unfair for people to say "yep, NIT team" because we lost to two of the better teams out there.

Dont think PC and WVU have the horses to keep us at arms length unless we are just flat out there.

Nice job PRT.

Spot on here.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago It has become a long standing Rhody fan tradition to always assume that the one or two (or in the case of 2013, like 6) guys who are not able to play for whatever reason would have been the difference maker. I have fallen into the trap quite a few times myself. I am hopeful Walker will be a solid contributor when he is eligible, but I am not going to assume anything this time around.
Cough cough Jordan Hare cough cough.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Fatts Russell made the all tournament team of their half of the "bracket":

So how do they determine that Utah State is the winner (assuming that is why Utah State is holding up a trophy)? Record?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

They were the only team to go 2-0. But if there were ties it would have been by point differential like they do at AAU or Soccer tourneys. That would have been weird.
steviep123
Sly Williams

I like the bracket tournaments better for the most part. At least we were guaranteed a game vs. LSU and we didn't play two awful teams in Jamaica. The perfect tourneys were 2016 and 2017 when we played and beat Cincy for a crack at Duke and played and beat Seton Hall for a crack at Virginia. In both instances we played a ranked team with a win giving us a date with a higher ranked team. Hopefully next year's Mohegan Sun tourney will be like that too.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I like the bracket tournaments better for the most part. At least we were guaranteed a game vs. LSU and we didn't play two awful teams in Jamaica. The perfect tourneys were 2016 and 2017 when we played and beat Cincy for a crack at Duke and played and beat Seton Hall for a crack at Virginia. In both instances we played a ranked team with a win giving us a date with a higher ranked team. Hopefully next year's Mohegan Sun tourney will be like that too.
Mohegan Sun is Bracketed with Winners advancing.
Tournaments like Jamaica Format are rare thankfully. I hate that Format.
steviep123
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I like the bracket tournaments better for the most part. At least we were guaranteed a game vs. LSU and we didn't play two awful teams in Jamaica. The perfect tourneys were 2016 and 2017 when we played and beat Cincy for a crack at Duke and played and beat Seton Hall for a crack at Virginia. In both instances we played a ranked team with a win giving us a date with a higher ranked team. Hopefully next year's Mohegan Sun tourney will be like that too.
Mohegan Sun is Bracketed with Winners advancing.
Tournaments like Jamaica Format are rare thankfully. I hate that Format.
Agreed. In general tourneys like the Jamaica format are terrible. It worked out for us that we got to play LSU, although it might have been even better to play Utah State (would have been best to play both).
Bleed Keaney Blue!

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago They were the only team to go 2-0. But if there were ties it would have been by point differential like they do at AAU or Soccer tourneys. That would have been weird.
Not true. Eastern Michigan was also given a trophy for going 2-0.
steviep123
Sly Williams

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago They were the only team to go 2-0. But if there were ties it would have been by point differential like they do at AAU or Soccer tourneys. That would have been weird.
EM was in the other "bracket"
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
EM was in the other "bracket"
Correct.
There were two brackets - and this is not uncommon for Tournaments like this

Top Group
LSU
Utah State
URI
North Texas

Lower Group
Nichols State
Maryland Baltimore
NC A&T
Eastern Michigan

The Lower Group played 1 or 2 games prior to Jamaica at the Upper Group Home Courts.

Upper and Lower Groups did not play one another in Jamaica

https://www.jamaicaclassic.com/
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I am not surprised that we lost to Maryland or LSU. They are on another level than URI. In terms of Sheppard he is gone for at least this year and every team can use an excuse on ineligible or injured players. URI missed on where Sheppard stood in terms of being eligible. Walker on the other hand is a three star recruit, not four that should provide some decent minutes off the bench, but has accomplished not to this point in college basketball. Why do we assume that he is going to make a difference when the majority of people have not seen him play. It will be nice to get another body down low and he is an athletic player that will eventually help the team. We need Martin, Dowtin and Tate to play better. Dowtin’s game stats don’t look bad and he has played hard on defense, but is an all conference player that needs to take over. I just think that we were more likely to have a chance to keep these games close if our vote played better and not make excuses about not having Walker. It would be one thing if Cyril or Dowtin wasn’t playing.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago It has become a long standing Rhody fan tradition to always assume that the one or two (or in the case of 2013, like 6) guys who are not able to play for whatever reason would have been the difference maker. I have fallen into the trap quite a few times myself. I am hopeful Walker will be a solid contributor when he is eligible, but I am not going to assume anything this time around.
Cough cough Jordan Hare cough cough.
It’s like no one ever, in all his years in the sport, stopped to ask the young man if he actually liked playing basketball.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He played when he felt like it.

Not going to work with Dan Hurley as his coach.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

If we're looking at it from a "health" perspective, we're exactly where I thought we should be. 4-2 with comfortable defenses of home court, 2 losses to 2 of the 3 toughest OOC road games. If we're talking future expectations for an at large - we can't lose a home game in the OOC. Could drop WVU on the road. The nice thing is that the A10 will be a factor in March basketball, so we'll have plenty of in-conference opportunities to build a resume.

From a game perspective, Michael Jordan and the 96 bulls wouldn't have beat a team shooting 67% from three. We hung with them until the 2nd half when they hit literally every shot they took for 10 minutes. You just have to tip your cap and move onto the next one. Let's just be thankful we didn't get the PC luck and run into a team like Penn having that kind of night. Happy that we got an L from a top 5 opponent on the schedule shooting lights out rather than a bottom-feeder.

The best thing that I've seen so far this year is the emergence of a "star" to lean on. This is Fatts' team. No disrespect to Jeff or Cyril but last year's troubles were magnified because we didn't have a guy to depend on. Fatts is that guy. This gives me huge hope for the rest of the year in having someone you know is going to score points and keep the offense going while different pieces figure things out.

Just take all of that, put a whooping on Manhattan tomorrow, and move forward.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago If we're looking at it from a "health" perspective, we're exactly where I thought we should be. 4-2 with comfortable defenses of home court, 2 losses to 2 of the 3 toughest OOC road games. If we're talking future expectations for an at large - we can't lose a home game in the OOC. Could drop WVU on the road. The nice thing is that the A10 will be a factor in March basketball, so we'll have plenty of in-conference opportunities to build a resume.

From a game perspective, Michael Jordan and the 96 bulls wouldn't have beat a team shooting 67% from three. We hung with them until the 2nd half when they hit literally every shot they took for 10 minutes. You just have to tip your cap and move onto the next one. Let's just be thankful we didn't get the PC luck and run into a team like Penn having that kind of night. Happy that we got an L from a top 5 opponent on the schedule shooting lights out rather than a bottom-feeder.

The best thing that I've seen so far this year is the emergence of a "star" to lean on. This is Fatts' team. No disrespect to Jeff or Cyril but last year's troubles were magnified because we didn't have a guy to depend on. Fatts is that guy. This gives me huge hope for the rest of the year in having someone you know is going to score points and keep the offense going while different pieces figure things out.

I agree with this. I’ll add: Someone here said in the wake of the Walker and Shepard news that, essentially, we have the same team as last year. It was meant as “so I guess this year is out the window, now, too.” But I actually think there’s an element of truth to it, with the following updates: the emergence of Good Fatts to be the guy, versus a basically Bad Fatts for most of last season; the addition of Toppin, who could legitimately eventually emerge as a star; the assumed progression of the sophomore class (we’ve seen some signs so far but in a lot of ways this is still an open item - I’m hopeful); a more experienced head coach/staff; and the addition of a legit athletic big for conference play. In all, that seems like maybe enough of an improvement to contend for a bid? The one thing I’m a little cautious about is that if this is going to be Fatts’ team, you have to account for the fact that he can be streaky and you probably won’t get 30 great performances from him. Do we have enough to win some games against, say, mid-pack A10 teams on a night that he’s 4-15 from the floor? Again, I’m hopeful the answer is yes, but we’ll have to see.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Your last 2 sentences sums it up TP.

Fatts isn't going to put up 25 every night.

Jeff, Tyrese, etc. have to step it up when that happens.

Like you said, hopeful anyway.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago If we're looking at it from a "health" perspective, we're exactly where I thought we should be. 4-2 with comfortable defenses of home court, 2 losses to 2 of the 3 toughest OOC road games. If we're talking future expectations for an at large - we can't lose a home game in the OOC. Could drop WVU on the road. The nice thing is that the A10 will be a factor in March basketball, so we'll have plenty of in-conference opportunities to build a resume.

I agree with this. I’ll add: Someone here said in the wake of the Walker and Shepard news that, essentially, we have the same team as last year. It was meant as “so I guess this year is out the window, now, too.” But I actually think there’s an element of truth to it, with the following updates: the emergence of Good Fatts to be the guy, versus a basically Bad Fatts for most of last season; the addition of Toppin, who could legitimately eventually emerge as a star; the assumed progression of the sophomore class (we’ve seen some signs so far but in a lot of ways this is still an open item - I’m hopeful); a more experienced head coach/staff; and the addition of a legit athletic big for conference play. In all, that seems like maybe enough of an improvement to contend for a bid? The one thing I’m a little cautious about is that if this is going to be Fatts’ team, you have to account for the fact that he can be streaky and you probably won’t get 30 great performances from him. Do we have enough to win some games against, say, mid-pack A10 teams on a night that he’s 4-15 from the floor? Again, I’m hopeful the answer is yes, but we’ll have to see.
I believe I made that statement TP. But I think your presumption of the intent is a bit off. It was just stated to mean we didn't add anything of substantive known value to think the team would be demonstrably better unless last years players improved significantly. Which you eluded to.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Your last 2 sentences sums it up TP.

Fatts isn't going to put up 25 every night.

Jeff, Tyrese, etc. have to step it up when that happens.

Like you said, hopeful anyway.
........the trio, Harris, Tate, Martin, will have to step up big time on those nites where Fatts is off......maybe by then Toppin will be settled into a significant role; regarding the trio one or more have to show a consistent step up to get us us Dancing.......Walker filling that?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Let's be fair to Martin. He did have a non energetic game. But he has scored 13,9,11,9,15 and 5. So he's not exactly not helping the team. In fact, I think he's contributing pretty well. He's shooting 45% and 42% from 3.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Let's be fair to Martin. He did have a non energetic game. But he has scored 13,9,11,9,15 and 5. So he's not exactly not helping the team. In fact, I think he's contributing pretty well. He's shooting 45% and 42% from 3.
Yeah IDK why people are being so harsh on him. Yes, he had a pretty awful game against LSU, but he has been solid for us and is one of our better 3 point shooters.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am not too worried about a Jeff

He hasn’t played up to par yet for the most part but I bet he will find his groove soon