1/6 | Saint Louis Billikens | 4PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Re: 1/6 | Saint Louis Billikens | 4PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by JimSidd »

I expected a loss today, with it being the first conference game, on the road to boot, for almost half the rotation, plus the coach, and that was before I knew Fatts was out.
Many times I am a glass half empty person, but today I’ll start with the positives. The obvious ones are the continued development of Martin and Tate. I also liked the use of the zone. I can’t stand it when coaches declare things like “we’re a man team and that’s what we do”. Coaching in any sport is about making adjustments when conditions warrant and mixing up defenses and playing some zone against a poor shooting team like St Louis was the right thing to do. I wouldn’t expect zone against a team like Davidson.
On the negative side, there are still too many offensive possessions with no ball or player movement. They have to limit those stretches where they go multiple minutes without a point. I’d like to see Cyril take an 8-10 footer once in a while instead of lowering his shoulder and plowing into a defender or over dribbling and turning it over. Also, Cox can’t get a technical with five minutes left and the game on the line.
I usually don’t comment on coverage, but I was annoyed at the audio problems that occurred at least a half dozen times.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Martin and Tate will be stars and soon. Very happy about that.

Harris will be as soon as he learns to stop fouling.

The rest is who they are. We know Jeff is good, but he needs help. Cyril is who he is too, a great rebounder who is not polished offensively and likely will never be.

Yes we need Fatts out there, he takes some of the load off Jeff. Jeff will wear down to nothing by the end of the season if he has to do too much.

This is a learning experience, this season. Not expecting any postseason.

We are going to be good. Just not now.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Urifan91 wrote: 5 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago They absolutely need Fatts back. Dowtin looked lost running the point without him. Oddly tried to take over instead of sticking with what was working.
I do not think Dowtin looked lost, I just think Bess is a very good defender and gave Dowtin a tough time tonight.
Maybe 'looked lost' wasn't the best phrasing... but he certainly missed Russell.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Opponents can focus too much on Dowtin with us not having enough depth at PG with Fatts out.

Yes not many opposing guards are as good as Bess at defense....but it's a long season and Jeff will wear down.

We definitely need more help at the guard position....CT is not consistent enough....
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Never understood why Thompson is a starter and gets the minutes he does. For a veteran player he gives very little on offense and his defense is streaky. Martin gives much more positive minutes and should start in his place. The zone was an excellent move by Cox and refreshing to see after our prior coach flat our refused to play any zone. Expect to see it again vs Richmond who is just as bad at SLU and us from the perimeter. Overall I was encouraged with what I saw, I didnt expect to win this game and I really dont think it was as close as most think, SLU missed 12 FT's, if they hit just half of them the game would not have been as close as we are not a good team when chasing points. This conference is wide open and I haven't seen any team we cant beat, i'm not counting out a 3rd straight trip to the NCAA's especially is the freshman continue to improve and we get whats expected from Fatts, Jeff and Cyril.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Martin over Thompson. Keep Fatts.
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Martin, Harris, and Tate will be the cornerstones of this program in a couple of years.

They certainly look like they will be as good as we hoped. Of course Harris has the farthest to go, but he's got some serious upside.

Just hope that the '19 class will add some quality to the mix, especially Hammond who we really need to be good.

The adding of Walker and maybe another guard transfer and we are there.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Exactly how many touches did Harris get down low?

Sorry I remain a broken record, Harris needs to get 8-10 shots a game. Think about scoring 2 points in the last 7 minutes and I can't remember a single time that the ball went down low.

Every play does not have to have JD "creating", sometimes Martin feeding the post will have good things happen.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Shinze88 wrote: 5 years ago Never understood why Thompson is a starter and gets the minutes he does. For a veteran player he gives very little on offense and his defense is streaky. Martin gives much more positive minutes and should start in his place. The zone was an excellent move by Cox and refreshing to see after our prior coach flat our refused to play any zone. Expect to see it again vs Richmond who is just as bad at SLU and us from the perimeter. Overall I was encouraged with what I saw, I didnt expect to win this game and I really dont think it was as close as most think, SLU missed 12 FT's, if they hit just half of them the game would not have been as close as we are not a good team when chasing points. This conference is wide open and I haven't seen any team we cant beat, i'm not counting out a 3rd straight trip to the NCAA's especially is the freshman continue to improve and we get whats expected from Fatts, Jeff and Cyril.
The only route to a third straight NCAA is to win the tourney at the end of the year. These games will not factor in at all other than to continue to grow Martin, Tate and Harris. The conference is as bad as it had ever been. We can beat anyone in this conference and we can lose to almost anyone in this conference also. Looking forward to better things ahead, but man are they tough to watch from a viewing pleasure. Like others said a complete rock fight.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

McRam wrote: 5 years ago Exactly how many touches did Harris get down low?

Sorry I remain a broken record, Harris needs to get 8-10 shots a game. Think about scoring 2 points in the last 7 minutes and I can't remember a single time that the ball went down low.

Every play does not have to have JD "creating", sometimes Martin feeding the post will have good things happen.
Agreed, All I saw was Harris setting screens and getting the ball at the 3 point line waiting for the play to develop for others. He needs touches.
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago
McRam wrote: 5 years ago Exactly how many touches did Harris get down low?

Agreed, All I saw was Harris setting screens and getting the ball at the 3 point line waiting for the play to develop for others. He needs touches.
You can’t discount the defense St Louis played combined with no fatts.

Jeff had few options, surrounded by true freshman who understandably struggled in their first conference road game.

Fatts allows for a more evenly spaced floor and more passing lanes. Without him, Bess pretty much smothered Jeff and gave us no other option to distribute the ball.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

For the next game I want to see much more inside passing to Harris,. Martin and Tate have been terrific and will become an integral part of our offense. Now we need #0 to add his number to our Fab Frosh
Last edited by PeteRI 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Looking at the schedule I think URI has a very good shot at winning the next 4 games if people aren't out with an injury. The way URI played in the 1st half and the way they lost their lead in the 2nd half...it just seemed to be a strange game to me.
What I take away from this game is the following:
- It was good to see Martin step up and start hitting the shots I always knew he could hit (on an away game none the less). I am slightly, just slightly, concerned about he demeanor at this point. He appears to have a swagger that is almost lackadaisical at times. I'd like to see him play with a bit more urgency and not shy away from contact on layups. Hopefully, this improves with time. In my opinion, if he plays with more tenacity, he'll be quite the player.
- Fatts was out and I feel it's safe to assume he would've added a minimum of 8 points and fewer turn overs to URI's stats if he had been.
- Tate is stepping up and looks confident in each game. If Harris can find a grove, URI could be real dangerous as the year goes on.
- Young teams are inconsistent. They are great one game and garbage the next. In my opinion, the next 4 games will tell us a lot about this team's development and shot at a postseason. Tate and Martin are now beginning to step up offensively. If URI goes 3-1 or 4-0 in the next 4 games, I would say they'd be hitting their stride as a team/unit and will have a great shot at being one of the top two teams in the conference by the end of the year. If not, then I will officially throw in the towel as far as postseason talk is concerned. I don't think I'm quite there yet. I feel I can now see confirmation of our Freshman talent. Now all I want is to see Cox get that talent to consistently gel as a unit to the point it's so sharp, so fresh, and so clean that it makes my razor jealous.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Now we see how vital Fatts is to the offense. His penetration, his scrappy DEF, and his vision. Granted this will likely shift the minutes around for the entire lineup after witnessing Tyrese and Dana’s progression. We will be fine. DH lost plenty of these types of games here and he was an experienced head coach. We played bad and should’ve won, with FT’s once again being the deciding factor. Again, I’m confident in this team.
i agree with much of what you say here, but don't blame free throws. we were 11-16 from the line. they were 11-23.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I hate losing - but some good individual signs out there. Jeff and Cyril were not there best today but then St. Louis is a good defensive team. We never seem to play well there.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Respectfully disagree with this. Fatts COULD be that vital but most games he hasn’t been. Rhody has four losses with Fatts in the line up playing 30+ minutes where they scored 50, 55, 58 & 60 points. If he played today, the reduced minutes would’ve come from Martin (37 mins) and Tate (31 mins) - both season highs. Martin and Tate were the two best players on the team today with 18 points/6 rebs and 9 points/10 rebs. Jeff has his worst game (maybe ever as a starter) and Cyril was 1-8 FG. You can associate some of that to Fatts out of the line up but they were a combined 3-18 with 6 TOs. I would associate more to good SLU defense that would’ve been there with Fatts in the lineup and an off night for Jeff and Cyril. Cyril is going to have bad offensive nights. He just isn’t that consistent offensively. The other sub 60 point games were not against defenses as good as SLU.

The solution going foward needs to be more playing time for Martin and Tate with Fatts in the line up. Realistically they are building for next year. Thompson’s minutes need to get cut way back. Giving 6 players 25+ minutes (Tate is the 6th man) and getting them rest with Thompson, Omar & Preston is the way to move forward.

Jeff 32-35 mins
Fatts 28-30 mins
Martin 28-30 mins
Cyril 30-32 mins
Harris 22-25 mins
Tate 25-27 mins

That leaves 21-35 mins for the three reserves - Thompson, Omar & Preston.

I would give Harris 25+ if he stays out of foul trouble. The big change is Thompson is averaging 28 minutes.
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Definetly positives to take away as we played arguably the conf favorite on the road and almost won

Agree with those that want Martin as a starter over CT

I do think we missed Fatts today
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I think most were seeing CT as the early season starter for things like, supposedly shut down defense, experience, leadership etc as the freshmen got up to speed, it is time to move on and get into the future is now movement with moving CT into an off the bench role, move Martin into starting role, get Tate more minutes, get Harris some offense sets in his direction, and let the freshmen learn on the job, it will pay off next year,......Coach is learning on the job also.....no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I agree with the people who want to see us run some action designed to get Jermaine the ball. He’s too talented to have him rely solely on offensive boards or breakdowns in play to get his points. I would like to see us run some action like we do for Cyril to iso Harris on the low block and make a good entry pass.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Harris is a much more polished offensive player than Cyril.

He needs to be given the opportunity to show it.

If he gets that, teams won't be able to double Cyril as much.....the focus needs to shift.

Yep BAR, JH needs the ball down low, and let Cyril get the rebounds and putbacks...that's his strength.

Right now, things are back assward.

Late in games, that would help avoid big time droughts and get JH to the FT line if nothing else.

We are not a good enough shooting team to have the inside game disappear late in games.

The way things are now, if Cyril has an off night shooting, we're screwed. And that's what happened yesterday.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i agree on JH getting touches.. early touches

I feel as if coach cox is more concerned about setting picks then setting up plays for him

if you watch him all he does is look to set picks

i feel as if he will be a good player for us .. but (to date) in the games i have seen.. i am not impressed

i know he wil improve.. but hopefully he starts taking strides to improve

this starts with getting legit plays setup for him and touches

come on JH.. let's show us what you got - we know you have a lot !
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Great observations from everyone. I'm thrilled that Tate and Martin have proved to be legitimate starters whose development is ahead of schedule. Now it's time to unleash Jermaine and run plays that take advantage of his skill and athleticism. The only game they even tried to do that he scored at will (I think it was against Brown). There's no reason why he shouldn't be in double figures every single game from here on out. Set The Freshmen Free!
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

I agree Martin should start over Thompson but I wish he would look to dish more when he drives to the basket instead of throwing up an acrobatic shot off the back board. I think that he is so athletic he thinks he can make those shots (in high school against high school completion it was easy for him) but he is looking more comfortable with his outside shot (he and Tate are improving nicely with their shooting and should be real good players as they progress and get older). With the schedule finally being able to play every 3-4 days I think that will improve this team and with the next 4 games very winnable we could see a 4-1 team play VCU at home. Practice is great but actual playing time together is what this team really needs. I still don't expect anything but a minor tourney this year but still excited to see this team grow together.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Harris is a much more polished offensive player than Cyril.

He needs to be given the opportunity to show it.

If he gets that, teams won't be able to double Cyril as much.....the focus needs to shift.

Yep BAR, JH needs the ball down low, and let Cyril get the rebounds and putbacks...that's his strength.

Right now, things are back assward.

Late in games, that would help avoid big time droughts and get JH to the FT line if nothing else.

We are not a good enough shooting team to have the inside game disappear late in games.

The way things are now, if Cyril has an off night shooting, we're screwed. And that's what happened yesterday.
This. Harris is a MUCH better FT shooter than Cyril is. Much rather have him on the line 10-12 times a game.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'll take the blame for this loss. I had to step away and pause the tv with the 6 point lead, just before the wheels came off. My apologies for not be able to sit on the couch for another 30 minutes and see us through to victory.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Excited for the games to pick up now and be twice a week.

They are so close to turning the corner. I hope they do turn the corner and are like 7-1 in a few weeks.

They really almost gutted out this win without a leader and with hobbled players.

Best part of the game was out of the time out where the ball swung to the wing and thompson shot faked and went baseline into a cross court pass to Tate who was prepared to knock the shot down and did. That was a great play in a close game on the road facing a ton of adversity. Really encouraging stuff from the team/coach. I hope they realize their potential this year.

The leg kick call on Dowtin was crushing. I don't know if they would have won, but 3 foul shots would have helped down maybe 3 or 4 at the time?
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Is anyone else surprised at the lack of touches for Harris? Whenever he has gotten the ball in the post the last few games he looks much more in control and fluid / less robotic than he did in the beginning of the season.

I'd much rather him get 6 paint touches than 6 touches for Cyril at the three point line.
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago I hate losing - but some good individual signs out there. Jeff and Cyril were not there best today but then St. Louis is a good defensive team. We never seem to play well there.

We hadn't lost there in 9 years.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I feel like the team got back from Hawaii in less time than it’s taken them to return from Saint Louis. Current location seems to be Virginia! Anyone know why they stayed the extra night? I’m guessing they thought there was a legitimate chance that Fatts could play if they brought him along, even with the extended travel.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 5 years ago I feel like the team got back from Hawaii in less time than it’s taken them to return from Saint Louis. Current location seems to be Virginia! Anyone know why they stayed the extra night? I’m guessing they thought there was a legitimate chance that Fatts could play if they brought him along, even with the extended travel.
I think I read that they're not returning home -- they're going straight to Richmond.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......they wanted to get the Whaffle House......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago I feel like the team got back from Hawaii in less time than it’s taken them to return from Saint Louis. Current location seems to be Virginia! Anyone know why they stayed the extra night? I’m guessing they thought there was a legitimate chance that Fatts could play if they brought him along, even with the extended travel.
I think I read that they're not returning home -- they're going straight to Richmond.
No need to worry about classes, obviously, but that’s an interesting choice. I did mistakenly think Wednesday’s game was at home, though, but charters for both could have been nice. Rest up, Fatts. Air travel can mess with concussion recovery (so does screen time, but few college athletes seem to take that to heart!).

Nice to say Dana put together two good games back to back. He’s my favorite of the freshmen (not necessarily the best, but definitely my favorite).
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It was always the plan to go from St Louis to Richmond from what I had read some time ago. Nothing has changed.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago It was always the plan to go from St Louis to Richmond from what I had read some time ago. Nothing has changed.
I didn’t say that anything had changed.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Hey Ace

Check your pm's
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I think one of their flights got delayed today, too, but they’re definitely in Richmond now.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
No need to worry about classes, obviously, but that’s an interesting choice. I did mistakenly think Wednesday’s game was at home, though, but charters for both could have been nice. Rest up, Fatts. Air travel can mess with concussion recovery (so does screen time, but few college athletes seem to take that to heart!).

Nice to say Dana put together two good games back to back. He’s my favorite of the freshmen (not necessarily the best, but definitely my favorite).
At least their not taking a bus Ace. Progress.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago

At least their not taking a bus Ace. Progress.

Personalized jetpacks for transportation to the UMASS game I hear.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Whether we missed Fatts or not, the fact is that the Rams turned in their fifth straight lackluster performance, a 2-3 stretch that is not a good indicator for something better than a .500 season.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

As the freshmen are playing better, especially Martin and Tate, our best 3 older players FR, JD, and CL, have tailed off.

If we could get more of them on the same page, our results would be better.

It will happen at times, but not enough to be a postseason team this season.

I still think we will end up better than .500 in conference...unless the injury bug becomes a continuing problem.

Of course if we lose to Richmond then all bets are off. Richmond is bad...but then again, it's a road game.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago Whether we missed Fatts or not, the fact is that the Rams turned in their fifth straight lackluster performance, a 2-3 stretch that is not a good indicator for something better than a .500 season.
Agree. I thought they played pretty well the 2nd half vs Middle Tenn. They got the lead to 16 and then let up running the clock. I know MT isn’t any good but that half was a little encouraging.
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We also played pretty well for the first 10 minutes of the second half yesterday.....then went to shit.

Putting an entire game together especially against a good opponent will be a challenge for a while.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I felt pretty good after yesterday's game for a few reasons: 1. The zone, which WORKED WELL. Glad to see coach amenable to changing his approach. Plus it got the freshmen in position to be effective defensively. 2. The play of Martin and Tate. Agree with all above who feel we need to make the switch with CT, and to continue to give Tate increased PT. 3. If that's the best the A10 has to offer, we have a good a chance as anyone. 4. Had family over and it was a good party!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Mine too. He's got a great personality to go along with a sweet shot. Extra points for the video of him working out in a t-shirt of Snoopy sitting on top of his doghouse. :lol:
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Right now I think VCU should be the favorite.

Dayton has surprised but they do have talent, just no depth. That worked for them when they went to the Elite 8 with Archie, but Grant's no Archie.

Davidson will be tough now that they have Grady back.

St. Louis is no lock to win this.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I think a reasonable goal is to get in the top 4 in the final league standings to get a bye in the tournament. This can be achieved.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......after the loss, and non cover, onto to Richmond.......which Team Rankings gives us a 53% to win......that’s all?.....ouch.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago I'll take the blame for this loss. I had to step away and pause the tv with the 6 point lead, just before the wheels came off. My apologies for not be able to sit on the couch for another 30 minutes and see us through to victory.
cmon Stevie!!!
wtf
we NEED you man
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ......after the loss, and non cover, onto to Richmond.......which Team Rankings gives us a 53% to win......that’s all?.....ouch.....
Just proof that the A-10 is both very balanced and a total crapshoot this year. Team Rankings gives URI a 53% chance, KenPom gives them a 59% chance, and ESPN's BPI gives them a 44% chance. Nothing's gonna be easy.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

These predictions mean absolutely nothing especially not knowing the availability of Fatts. Despite his poor shooting so far this year the St Louis game showed us how valuable he is to our success.