12/25 | Hawaii Rainbow Warriors | 3:00 PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/25 | Hawaii Rainbow Warriors | 3:00 PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dre, I tend to agree with you. Losing 5 seniors all of which were key contributors is a lot.

Lots of stops and starts.

However we have one guy who is trying to do too much and it's hurting the team and especially the development of the freshmen.

I think we should be one or 2 wins better than we are now because of this.

It's not a huge deal because even if we were we wouldn't be an at large team anyway this season....but Cox needs to take more control of Russell very soon or we will really struggle in league play.

The goal is to develop and get better, and stop making the same mistakes over and over again.
MrRamsDen76
Michael Andersen

Unread post by MrRamsDen76 »

I'm an "old school" guy, so I may be missing the point on position less basketball. I've seen several games on TV and in-person this season, and I don't think I've seen a traditional lineup of three forwards and two guards. I'd like to see Tate up front with Harris and Langevine, with Thompson and Dowtin in the backcourt. First sub off the bench is either Fatts or Martin, depending on matchups and tempo. Omar and Preston, only if foul trouble.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

78, I agree with you. The coaches keep believing Fatts will get better, but it is not happening. His numbers are as high as they are only because he is taking too many shots. He is being allowed to make bad decisions early in possessions. Fatts needs to sit when he makes bad decisions.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

All I can say is this team runs much better when Jeff is the point guard. And there is no one else on this team to take his place in a big way.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago I don’t think many people here at all have said that this team would be better under Hurley. Has anyone even said that, other than the few people who are negative about everything and just toss out a word salad of thoughts? You put a lot of work into that comparison, but I feel like you’re arguing against something that hasn’t even been said. That aside, I don’t really think it works anyway. Let this team and coach be who they are, and let them figure out how they fit into continuing to strongly represent a program that is nothing like it was in 2013.
I'll say it and I'm not negative about everything at all. Just my opinion, but this team would be better under Hurley (and, they'd be even better under Pitino). That's not a knock on DC either. For now, we got what we got...hopefully, it keeps getting better.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago I don’t think many people here at all have said that this team would be better under Hurley. Has anyone even said that, other than the few people who are negative about everything and just toss out a word salad of thoughts? You put a lot of work into that comparison, but I feel like you’re arguing against something that hasn’t even been said. That aside, I don’t really think it works anyway. Let this team and coach be who they are, and let them figure out how they fit into continuing to strongly represent a program that is nothing like it was in 2013.
I'll say it and I'm not negative about everything at all. Just my opinion, but this team would be better under Hurley (and, they'd be even better under Pitino). That's not a knock on DC either. For now, we got what we got...hopefully, it keeps getting better.
Ok, then that post is just for you! :)
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
Ok, then that post is just for you! :)
Graci!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we had a strong and reliable 2 guard, we would probably see less of Fatts, the way things are going.

CT is too inconsistent, and Tyrese really isn't a 2 guard.

Last season we had tons of backcourt options. This year, not so much.

72, Fatts is about as inefficient as it gets.

He does need to sit, and let the freshmen learn on the job. How much worse can it get? And it will only help the freshmen develop quicker....take their lumps......short term pain, long term gain.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

;76, I want Fatts to succeed and I would continue to start him. Give Martin more of Fatts minutes as long as long as he is productive. Start Martin, if Fatts doesn't get the message. I like Tate, but Langevine and Harris are more talented and CT is steady. Give Tate more minutes from CT and JH as the situation warrants. Tate is playing better after a slow start. We could have a good team next year if Cox handles this well.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

just don't have Fatt's play pg. pretty simple. See WVU.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Fatts can play the point, his problem is he's not looking to set up his teammates.

He's going off half cocked and chucking up off balance 3's early in the shot clock.

Why?
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago All I can say is this team runs much better when Jeff is the point guard. And there is no one else on this team to take his place in a big way.
I think Jeff is one the best point guards in the country - I don’t expect to have a comparable player on the bench.

We have an “EC” our there taking I’ll-advised shots, just need a “Jared” to be the steady scorer to make the team as good as last year. I still think that may be Tyrese but time will tell. I would like to see Omar shoot more, he is the best shooter on the team and is just lacking some confidence in his shot. If he makes the adjustment to college ball this year we will be happy.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with most on Fatts but the obvious struggle here from DC standpoint is that we are at our best offensively with Fatts as a threat and in there. We don’t really have a secondary option for what he can potentially bring (someone who can beat his man off the dribble and force defensive help). That said he is trying to do way too much, and it is coming at the detriment of the team at times.

My personal message to Fatts:

Fatts your desired stat line is 12 points 4-5 assists 2-3 steals. We don’t need you to score 30. Eliminate “tough twos” except in dire circumstances (ie end of shot clock), eliminate contested, deep shots off the dribble. Get your points in transition, on layups, and on catch and shoot situations from Jeff etc finding you. Get to the foul line, and knock em down at 80% when u are there. Be a menace on defense. Facilitate for others, get in the paint and look for others, you need to make other people around you better. Draw and drop off for Cyril, look for Jermaine more on PnR, find shooters spotting up (CT, Martin). Do all that and the whole game will open up for you. At 5’8” you cannot be effective if the entire gym knows u are shooting or going head down to the basket.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't think Fatts is happy. He doesn't seem like the joyous kid that he was last year. Of course, that could be due to his struggles. But he keeps tweeting about the 'haters'. I wouldn't be shocked if he transferred. I have no information on this, just a gut feeling. I wish we could have got Marcus Zegarowski. He's off to a great start at Creighton, already being one of their best players.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’m rewatching games from last season (we all celebrate holidays in our own way 😀).

Right now, it’s the home game against Richmond. This was the game EC hurt his knee and didn’t play in the second half. Fatts, Dowtin, and Jarvis are on the court a lot together (right now, as I’m watching, with Akele and Cyril), and the three of them working together is perfection. JT3 is announcing the game and is effusive in his praise for Fatts. I think Fatts needs to rewatch this one, get his confidence back.

I forgot how much the student section harassed Golden. Good stuff all around!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i am beginning to doubt its about confidence vs about talent

off the bench vs a starter.. gives you a different reality

his form and his shot is awful right now
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

We have all seen Fatts do too many things on the basketball court to buy the argument that he is “untalented.” I said before the season that I felt Fatts would struggle in his adjustment to becoming a primary target of the defense’s game plan but that he would get there. I still think that. I also happen to think he’s tremendously talented.

(I’m still watching- Layssard just hit a jumper!)
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago I’m rewatching games from last season (we all celebrate holidays in our own way 😀).

Right now, it’s the home game against Richmond. This was the game EC hurt his knee and didn’t play in the second half. Fatts, Dowtin, and Jarvis are on the court a lot together (right now, as I’m watching, with Akele and Cyril), and the three of them working together is perfection. JT3 is announcing the game and is effusive in his praise for Fatts. I think Fatts needs to rewatch this one, get his confidence back.

That game was so much fun. This is one of my favorite moments of last season:

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago I’m rewatching games from last season (we all celebrate holidays in our own way 😀).

That game was so much fun. This is one of my favorite moments of last season:

Probably the greatest play I've ever seen in person.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Fatts should start wearing No. 2 as he did last season.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 5 years ago Fatts should start wearing No. 2 as he did last season.
Or No. 6, as in the first guy off the bench.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fatts does have the ability to drive and set up for others he is just not doing enough of it

Fatts also is missing a lot of layups just because his size makes it tough to finish over big guys
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Fatts does have the ability to drive and set up for others he is just not doing enough of it

Fatts also is missing a lot of layups just because his size makes it tough to finish over big guys
Fatts should sit in the film room and watch games from the Tyson Wheeler days. I know their styles are different but they are both small guards, and Fatts could learn how Tyson played the game and made everyone better are the floor
PillPushr
Michael Andersen

Unread post by PillPushr »

There is nothing wrong with Fatts shooting, its just he has to shoot in the flow of the offense and get other players involved, like great guards do. Pull up contested 3's are difficult shots for NBA players to make, let alone a 5'8'' guard in the A10.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I personally don’t remember a Uri player having as many assists from driving and dumping to a player in the paint as Fatts, he’s great at it. Ability and talent is proven, his decision making overall is what he should work on. He’ll be ok.
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The team is pretty good. They just have to tweak their approach. Football teams don't run 15 hail marys each game because its an exciting play. Fatts and the team need to learn that getting the best shot every time down the floor is important.

Even if Fatts was Trae Young, Young lost like 10 of the last 11 games last year so it's not something that should be emulated.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry