'19 MD F Marial Mading (Pacific Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: '19 MD F Marial Mading (URI Verbal Commit)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I have no doubt that our strength program will have Marial looking like a 6'10"version of Arnold S. by his sophomore season......
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Slim
Steve Chubin

Re: '19 MD F Marial Mading (Offer)

Unread post by Slim »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago Great news. Love this kid and his potential at URI. Nice work by the Head Coach, Staff and Players. Marial will play against Hassan French of St Louis who played at Springfield Commonwealth Academy as well.
Me too Ramster. I think he will surprise a lot of non-believers.
Played in the Baltimore Catholic Leg previously and barley played. Surprised URI would take him in the early signing period. Good length and decent athlete. I can’t see him being a wing at the college level. We will see in due time.

Congrts & Good luck to the young man!
Last edited by Slim 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago I have no doubt that our strength program will have Marial looking like a 6'10"version of Arnold S. by his sophomore season......
same.

let him get his feet wet as a freshman and spend a year in the gym
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I am all for the idea of trusting the staff, and they clearly know more about this then any of us on here. But with that said I don't think it's ridiculous to at least wonder/question the fact that the other schools interested weren't all that impressive. I am hoping we found a diamond in the rough here so to speak, but I'll admit I'm skeptical. Maybe he blows up and develops into a great player and the staff saw something not many other schools did. I do think sometimes we need to take a shot at kids like this because obviously a fully developed 6'10" wing isn't coming to the A10, but I don't think its unfair to at least have some concern that he ends up more like Tertsea or Layssard.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Sometimes we have to take what we can get......second choices or backup plans or whatever.

I too hope that Mading will be a diamond in the rough.....Adam I've been thinking the same thing....we certainly don't need more Tertseas or Layssards.

Size is great.....but they have to be able to play.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago I am all for the idea of trusting the staff, and they clearly know more about this then any of us on here. But with that said I don't think it's ridiculous to at least wonder/question the fact that the other schools interested weren't all that impressive. I am hoping we found a diamond in the rough here so to speak, but I'll admit I'm skeptical. Maybe he blows up and develops into a great player and the staff saw something not many other schools did. I do think sometimes we need to take a shot at kids like this because obviously a fully developed 6'10" wing isn't coming to the A10, but I don't think its unfair to at least have some concern that he ends up more like Tertsea or Layssard.
look no further than his future teammate, Langevine.

rated 83, 3*, 351 nationally. other offers were from Buffalo, Duquesne, Mason, Miami (OH)
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago I am all for the idea of trusting the staff, and they clearly know more about this then any of us on here. But with that said I don't think it's ridiculous to at least wonder/question the fact that the other schools interested weren't all that impressive. I am hoping we found a diamond in the rough here so to speak, but I'll admit I'm skeptical. Maybe he blows up and develops into a great player and the staff saw something not many other schools did. I do think sometimes we need to take a shot at kids like this because obviously a fully developed 6'10" wing isn't coming to the A10, but I don't think its unfair to at least have some concern that he ends up more like Tertsea or Layssard.
Totally agree. This kid might develop into a good player and many people seem to like him. He has the length for sure, but if we are saying that you need to just trust the staff is it that off the wall to question why other teams didn't offer him scholarships after he had visits to UConn and BC? I guess we will wait and see. Good luck to him and let's close out on McLeod and/or Walker.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago

rated 83, 3*, 351 nationally. other offers were from Buffalo, Duquesne, Mason, Miami (OH)
Yep, it happens. There are definitely examples of players going both ways. Which is kind of my point in saying that I don't think it is unfair to at least question it and wonder. I think it's also important to wait and see how the rest of the class shapes up. It'll be easier to make an overall assessment once the puzzle is complete.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This is fair, and to be sure when you take a developmental "upside" player, there is some inherent risk involved. I think you nailed exactly the staff's reasoning for pursuing this type of player - a fully developed and skilled 6'10" wing probably isn't available to us, so we choose between trying to develop a guy that could turn into a weapon and taking a fully developed guy who probably never will. But the larger picture here is that URI could again have the #1 class in the league and will likely end up with one of the best rated classes it has ever had. You can acknowledge the risks and recognize the potential floor of the class without whining endlessly about it.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago

Yep, it happens. There are definitely examples of players going both ways. Which is kind of my point in saying that I don't think it is unfair to at least question it and wonder. I think it's also important to wait and see how the rest of the class shapes up. It'll be easier to make an overall assessment once the puzzle is complete.
My somewhat nihilistic thought on this - I'm not sure if anyone can really tell which 'big man' prospects will pan out and develop properly, and which ones won't. So, the "best" method is probably just to acquire a bunch of them and see who earns the playing time. I view it somewhat similar to pitching prospects in baseball - there are a couple of "can't miss" ones who will be great barring injury, and then just a huge bunch in the middle that you probably can't determine quality on until you throw them in the fire.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
This is fair, and to be sure when you take a developmental "upside" player, there is some inherent risk involved. I think you nailed exactly the staff's reasoning for pursuing this type of player - a fully developed and skilled 6'10" wing probably isn't available to us, so we choose between trying to develop a guy that could turn into a weapon and taking a fully developed guy who probably never will. But the larger picture here is that URI could again have the #1 class in the league and will likely end up with one of the best rated classes it has ever had. You can acknowledge the risks and recognize the potential floor of the class without whining endlessly about it.
I don’t see where you get rating this class so high. Some ratings services are too weighted based on # of recruits in the class. So if there are 4 recruits the weighting will distort the total rating. As of now we don’t have a top 200 rated recruit. I would put EC & Hass above this. I would put JT & Jarvis above this. How do you add in transfers? Where do you add in KI and Stan - both top 100.

The three recruits signed in the last 2 1/2 months are Long (#210), Aris (considered a project) and Mading (331).
“We will be good when we are good.”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

And this is also why I mentioned in a follow up post that seeing who rounds out the class is important. If we still get Walker, then by all means take a shot on a developmental guy like Mading. Actually adding Walker when we already have Harris would completely change my view of the Mading commitment I think, because as a piece of that overall puzzle it makes more sense to me. The problem is I don't think we're getting Walker, but we'll see.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote: 5 years agoMy somewhat nihilistic thought on this - I'm not sure if anyone can really tell which 'big man' prospects will pan out and develop properly, and which ones won't. So, the "best" method is probably just to acquire a bunch of them and see who earns the playing time. I view it somewhat similar to pitching prospects in baseball - there are a couple of "can't miss" ones who will be great barring injury, and then just a huge bunch in the middle that you probably can't determine quality on until you throw them in the fire.
I think you are probably right about the somewhat random or unpredictable nature of big man recruits, so you do need to just take a shot sometimes and hope it works out. The struggle though then comes down to do you take the big man project who might be a wild card, or a guard/wing who might not have the ceiling but who is a bit more of a known commodity (at least as much as can be in the recruiting world). I dont think there is anything wrong with taking on a project or two, you just dont want to end up with 3 or 4 of them who never work out.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Hypothetically, let’s say, we held off to see what Walker decided, and it’s clear to us and to Mading he is the backup, and Walker chooses another school (which he likely will, despite’s his mother’s wishes), and in the interim, Mading, goes where he’s wanted, then what? We are alone at the altar, and and sent home to dig through our phone looking for a “rebound”. Hell, we may still end up with Walker, and Mading will be more of a SF and Walker to be a PF, but Mading, has always been a priority recruit to the staff, regardless of who else offered and where he was ranked.

The world of recruiting is surely a game of chess, not checkers.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Remember this post? This guy is glued to the end of the bench and he is 6’10 230 lbs.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

If Mading can become even a slightly lesser version of Yuta Wantanabe, we'd all be happy.
He was another three star that everyone thought was too thin.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
I don’t see where you get rating this class so high. Some ratings services are too weighted based on # of recruits in the class. So if there are 4 recruits the weighting will distort the total rating. As of now we don’t have a top 200 rated recruit. I would put EC & Hass above this. I would put JT & Jarvis above this. How do you add in transfers? Where do you add in KI and Stan - both top 100.

The three recruits signed in the last 2 1/2 months are Long (#210), Aris (considered a project) and Mading (331).
I don’t think you can count transfers as part of a recruiting class, but that’s just my opinion and others surely feel differently. I also count Aris as part of last year’s class, not this one. With the two guys in fold already, this class is not particularly strong but these two guys also are good enough to be parts of a good four man class. Once the class is finished, my guess is it will end up being a strong class. The EC and Hass class definitely seems better in retrospect, and maybe even felt better at the time because of the relative state of the program, but not sure it will be appreciably higher rated than what this class will end up as (and, even still, was one of our better classes so if it is being used as the measuring stick then that’s a good sign in its own right). The JT/JG class at this time that year was an enormous zero, so again I think some patience are probably in order.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Feedback from a scout that the college coaches use:
He needs development. He is a good get for Rhode Island long term. He has a lot of upside potential.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Hypothetically, let’s say, we held off to see what Walker decided, and it’s clear to us and to Mading he is the backup, and Walker chooses another school (which he likely will, despite’s his mother’s wishes), and in the interim, Mading, goes where he’s wanted, then what? We are alone at the altar, and and sent home to dig through our phone looking for a “rebound”. Hell, we may still end up with Walker, and Mading will be more of a SF and Walker to be a PF, but Mading, has always been a priority recruit to the staff, regardless of who else offered and where he was ranked.

This I 100% agree with. I think this is what happened. They like Mading, would prefer Walker but did not want to be left holding the bag. I think the Bishop recruitment factors in here as well. They went from being the front runner to not even getting an offiicial visit and that left a mark. The old saying, bird in hand is worth two in the bush comes into play here.

And Rhody83, you cannot compare Tertsea with Mading. Two completely opposiite players, one is a back to the basket center and the other plays like a 2 guard or small forward. Mading will be a small forward in college. I like what I see in the videos, but I have not seen him play a full game. What I can't figure out is why his offer list is so unimpressive even based on where he is ranked. He is ranked higher than Brandon Stone who signed with Lasalle, but he does not seem to have commensurate offers. Does anybody know if he is an academic risk? Hate to speculate on that, but just trying to figure out why his offer list was so unimpressive based on what he could be in two years.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Remember this post? This guy is glued to the end of the bench and he is 6’10 230 lbs.
I have said for the past few seasons that this guy needs to get the splinters out of his ass and get some playing time. Hes a monster.
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Based on what I hear don't count on that happening this year either. Freshmen will probably given preference for early season development, and playing time, maybe by conference play big Mike is getting some minutes but that is probably bc either Preston is giving you nothing or injury.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I think the issue with Mike T is that he is not very mobile. He's a big guy who clogs the middle. Probably
was mobile enough to stay under the basket an contest shots coming into the lane in HS but lacks the
mobility and anticipation to protect the rim in the aggressive man D that URI/DH played pretty much
exclusively. Madding looks like a guard. Seems extremely mobile based on only vid we have .
Not remotely the same player. If he can put on some weight, and work on rebounding could be a lot like KI.
That being said needs to develop to be a factor.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Spring 2018 Highlight Tape
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

AAU Summer Highlight. He likes to shoot outside seems like a 3 to me.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

4Diffs wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Hypothetically, let’s say, we held off to see what Walker decided, and it’s clear to us and to Mading he is the backup, and Walker chooses another school (which he likely will, despite’s his mother’s wishes), and in the interim, Mading, goes where he’s wanted, then what? We are alone at the altar, and and sent home to dig through our phone looking for a “rebound”. Hell, we may still end up with Walker, and Mading will be more of a SF and Walker to be a PF, but Mading, has always been a priority recruit to the staff, regardless of who else offered and where he was ranked.

This I 100% agree with. I think this is what happened. They like Mading, would prefer Walker but did not want to be left holding the bag. I think the Bishop recruitment factors in here as well. They went from being the front runner to not even getting an offiicial visit and that left a mark. The old saying, bird in hand is worth two in the bush comes into play here.

And Rhody83, you cannot compare Tertsea with Mading. Two completely opposiite players, one is a back to the basket center and the other plays like a 2 guard or small forward. Mading will be a small forward in college. I like what I see in the videos, but I have not seen him play a full game. What I can't figure out is why his offer list is so unimpressive even based on where he is ranked. He is ranked higher than Brandon Stone who signed with Lasalle, but he does not seem to have commensurate offers. Does anybody know if he is an academic risk? Hate to speculate on that, but just trying to figure out why his offer list was so unimpressive based on what he could be in two years.
He is not an academic risk at all. He is a very good student. It was mentioned in one of the articles on him from last year.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

With this kid on the floor I can see "The Running Rams" slogan make a comeback.
GO RAMS
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Wouldn't Mading be a bench guy for at least 2 years? Walker knows he's a starter his 1st year, maybe day 1. Why can't you have both?
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
4Diffs wrote: 5 years ago

He is not an academic risk at all. He is a very good student. It was mentioned in one of the articles on him from last year.
Good to hear that. Makes sense that he would not be based on the early offer and acceptance, but was spitballing there to try to understand the lack of any other A10 or legitimate offers.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Welcome to URI Marian Mading !!!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He has a 3.2+ GPA. He grew 6 inches in 12 months. He may have had some coordination challenges. He switched schools. Commonwealth Academy in Springfield is a new program. It is 2-3 years old. Tony Bergeron started it for one year and then left to start Woodstock Academy. They don’t play the top prep schools in NE. He then played for a non-circuit AAU team. The games that I saw him play were agsinst weak competition and he didn’t dominate at all. The coaches feel with one more year at prep school and one year of development at URI he will contribute his Soph year. They don’t need him to contribute next year with all but Preston returning.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Mekhi Long welcoming Marial. #ramfam
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This is not Michael Tertsea. On film alone it's obvious he has basketball skills. His development will coincide with getting stronger. I think he has a chance to be a very good player.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago This is not Michael Tertsea. On film alone it's obvious he has basketball skills. His development will coincide with getting stronger. I think he has a chance to be a very good player.
But we have two recruits now who are projects. Our freshmen class needs to deliver this year big time.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago This is not Michael Tertsea. On film alone it's obvious he has basketball skills. His development will coincide with getting stronger. I think he has a chance to be a very good player.
But we have two recruits now who are projects. Our freshmen class needs to deliver this year big time.
Our freshmen develop this year, then we return the entire team next year except Preston. I count a good returning nucleus of 7, or even 8. If we get Walker, who would contribute as a frosh,that would give us 8 or 9. We can afford to develop a couple of other frosh in that case.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

He looks pretty darn agile and coordinated for a 6’ 11” rising high school senior guard. Who knows what will happen. I like the get.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

After watching those mixtapes I have some questions about the level of competition he has been playing against.

I’ll trust Cox on this one but his offers and mixtapes leave a lot to be desired.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yea end of the day, trust in Cox.
GO RAMS
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Welcome aboard Marial!
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I love it! 6'10" with guard skills, good get
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great videos. This kid can shoot the rock with range and can handle the ball also as well as block shots

We could have a steal on our hands
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

STC wrote: 5 years ago After watching those mixtapes I have some questions about the level of competition he has been playing against.

I’ll trust Cox on this one but his offers and mixtapes leave a lot to be desired.
After watching the mixtapes I was impressed. I get the level of competition was lower, but what I saw was a player with a lot of basketball skill. The level of competition thing bothers me more when it is a big who playing against guys who are 6 feet tall and dunking all over the place. These skills could translate eventually and he will be a steal. Either way, a good recruit for a team that is probably going to only have space for 1 or 3 impact as a freshmen players.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I agree on the shooting skills. Just remember every recruit looks good on their tape. You need to watch/see some games to get an idea of where the recruit currently is compared to other top college level recruits.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Nice name and good length! What's not to like? Welcome aboard!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

14th in NERR’s New England rankings between Idan Tretout (Harvard) and Preston Santos (UMass), 6th in Massachusetts

https://newenglandrecruitingreport.com/ ... ss-of-2019
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

It would be nice to have a thread where we track all of our recruits' stats from their high school games.
Mading and Long should be expected to average close to 20 pts given the leagues they are playing in.
They should absolutely dominate that competition.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago It would be nice to have a thread where we track all of our recruits' stats from their high school games.
Mading and Long should be expected to average close to 20 pts given the leagues they are playing in.
In the past this has been done within their individual recruiting listings. In the Baron years it wasn’t so possible sine we did not often verbal guys as early as November. You can look back at Russell, Dowtin, Harris, Larkin, etc and find a lot of game by game info including videos.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago It would be nice to have a thread where we track all of our recruits' stats from their high school games.
What the heck are you talking about?

Long plays in arguably one of the toughest conferences in the country, the WCAC.(Bishop McNamara)

Mading’s OOC schedule also goes against top Catholic schools as well.

In other words, research before posting, bud.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Long plays in arguably one of the toughest conferences in the country, the WCAC.(Bishop McNamara)

DC I hear you on the research, but dial it back on rhodyblue, we don’t need KB on KB crime haha
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago

DC I hear you on the research, but dial it back on rhodyblue, we don’t need KB on KB crime haha
You’re right. I apologize for the hostility. Just don’t like us hearing us downplay our own, especially when what’s being stated isn’t true.