‘19 F Anthony Walker (Miami ---> Indiana)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: ‘19 MD F Anthony Walker (Offer)

Unread post by bigappleram »

Bishop and Walker alone would make this a helluva class. Anything else is gravy IMO
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

bigappleram wrote:Bishop and Walker alone would make this a helluva class. Anything else is gravy IMO
Completely spot on! Wonder how far Long was outside of the updated Rivals top 150 rankings today, doubt he was that far away.
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

CT Rhody wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Bishop and Walker alone would make this a helluva class. Anything else is gravy IMO
Completely spot on! Wonder how far Long was outside of the updated Rivals top 150 rankings today, doubt he was that far away.
He shot under 40% on less than 10 PPG this summer. I think not being top 150 is justifiable, but he has upside
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

247 has Long at a Composite Ranking of 216 and their 247 Ranking of 170.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Let's not forget that power 5 conferences recruit a lot of players that are not close top 150. All of these young players still need to develop and be coached etc...there are plenty of diamonds in the rough. That said, I want Walker and Bishop!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Miami offered today.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Not good that he hasn’t come out with a final list and is getting offers like this.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Hopefully the kid is smart enough to realize schools are offering now strictly because they’ve struck out on others or they see his stock is rising and the school’s brand, rings bells.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Miami has offers to four PFs rated higher than Walker. Three from FL and the other is a new teammate of Walker’s at Brewster. Miami doesn’t lead for any of the four. Walker is their backup plan. Miami has a Jr & Soph PF on their roster.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Walker seems very excited about the Miami offer. Buddies like Quickley telling him it's the big time, and he's retweeting every tweet about it.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Yeah, may be time to start thinking about our plan B. We shouldn’t put too much more effort into the kid if he still swoons at every offer. Sounds like he is walking into the brighter lights, and that’s okay...but the longer he holds off the more unlikely it is for us. His stock is only going to go up!!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Walker seems very excited about the Miami offer. Buddies like Quickley telling him it's the big time, and he's retweeting every tweet about it.
DC_Rams wrote:Yeah, may be time to start thinking about our plan B. We shouldn’t put too much more effort into the kid if he still swoons at every offer. Sounds like he is walking into the brighter lights, and that’s okay...but the longer he holds off the more unlikely it is for us. His stock is only going to go up!!
He has really done that with almost every offer. I think the Rhody coaching staff has a good pulse on this. He is still a priority recruit and is still visiting in Sept.

The Rhody coaches text and talk with him every day.
Right now we are in a recruiting Quiet Period (contact only on campus other than text, talk & letters)

The Recruiting Period starts Sunday, Sept 9th. There is a good chance Coach Cox and Coach Sutton will have an in-home visit with Walker on the 9th or 10th.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83 wrote:Walker on unofficial group visit to Maryland today. His mother isn’t there though (she was in Kingston).
He doesn’t have an offer from Maryland. The Mitchell twins both 6’9” (who played on DC Premier) have both verbally committed to Maryland. 21

Ricky Lindo 6’7” F with DC Premier (I thought he was their best player in both Vegas tournaments) just committed to Maryland and reclassed to 2018. His two teammates the Mitchell twins (both 6’9”) will join him in 2019. You can cross Maryland off Walker’s list.

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Just got an offer from K State!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This could drag into the Spring (:
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

'Blessed' for the K.State offer. 'Extremely blessed ' for the Miami offer.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote:'Blessed' for the K.State offer. 'Extremely blessed ' for the Miami offer.
We also got an ‘Extremely blessed’.
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Miami offer is huge. That’s a tough school to beat.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

FattsAndFurious wrote:Miami offer is huge. That’s a tough school to beat.
Define “huge”. Is that comment based strictly on the fact that they’re an ACC school? Because Miami isn’t exactly a basketball program with rich history. I bet URI has made the tournament more times than they have.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Larranaga, however, has made the tournament 9 times. And, yes, it's the ACC
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

And there’s South Beach, the country club campus, all the beautiful people, the climate, etc...!!! So yes it’s huge and unfortunate!!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I feel like some people want URI to go after 4-star, too-100 level players and then act shocked when there turns out to be other schools interested in those players that we will have to compete against. If you want to swim at the deep end of pool then you’re going to have to deal with the big kids.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote:I feel like some people want URI to go after 4-star, too-100 level players and then act shocked when there turns out to be other schools interested in those players that we will have to compete against. If you want to swim at the deep end of pool then you’re going to have to deal with the big kids.
TP, that’s all fine and good, but we get in early on these types of kids, their stock soars, and they leave us at the altar, we, as fans quickly look for someone to blame or begin to say things like “ coach can’t close”. In actuality, the deck is just inherently stacked against us.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Miami had no HS recruits in 2018. They had trouble recruiting last year after being name in the FBI investigation. They have been cleared now. They landed four transfers in April. They have two seniors and one open scholarship. They made the final cut and have an official visit scheduled from Bouknight. They are also made the list of 12 for Wahab. They have three Fs that will return next year (6’10”, 6’10” & 6’11”) - redshirt Fr, redshirt Soph & Jr. They also have a Jr C that is 7’0”. They will graduate a C and a G.
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

NJRhodyFan wrote:
FattsAndFurious wrote:Miami offer is huge. That’s a tough school to beat.
Define “huge”. Is that comment based strictly on the fact that they’re an ACC school? Because Miami isn’t exactly a basketball program with rich history. I bet URI has made the tournament more times than they have.
Come on. Lets not do this and act like URI is a more prestigious program today.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I feel like some people want URI to go after 4-star, too-100 level players and then act shocked when there turns out to be other schools interested in those players that we will have to compete against. If you want to swim at the deep end of pool then you’re going to have to deal with the big kids.
TP, that’s all fine and good, but we get in early on these types of kids, their stock soars, and they leave us at the altar, we, as fans quickly look for someone to blame or begin to say things like “ coach can’t close”. In actuality, the deck is just inherently stacked against us.
TP, I don’t think many of us are shocked.

DC, why the doom and gloom? Let’s just look at Jermaine Harris and Dahmir Bishop.
Harris’ final list included Kansas, Maryland, Xavier, WVU and a team called Miami. That turned out ok.
Bishop’s final list includes Florida, Xavier, Wake, PC, Penn State, Temple, VCU yet we are considered the leader
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

All we have to do is look at Harris’ final list and who we beat for him to convince ourselves we have a shot at this kid. Granted, that was when we had Hurley as our coach, but he still stood by us with Cox.

Let’s keep competing with the big boys.
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If we want a path towards Gonzaga of the East, standards must be high.
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The Miami offer is a concern. Larranaga is a top coach who churns out first round NBA talent quite consistently
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote:The Miami offer is a concern. Larranaga is a top coach who churns out first round NBA talent quite consistently
Really? Miami is a football school and basketball program has never concerned me. Off the top of my head I honestly can’t name one NBA player from Miami or name the last time they were in the dance.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote:Miami had no HS recruits in 2018. They had trouble recruiting last year after being name in the FBI investigation. They have been cleared now. They landed four transfers in April. They have two seniors and one open scholarship. They made the final cut and have an official visit scheduled from Bouknight. They are also made the list of 12 for Wahab. They have three Fs that will return next year (6’10”, 6’10” & 6’11”) - redshirt Fr, redshirt Soph & Jr. They also have a Jr C that is 7’0”. They will graduate a C and a G.
So glad Rhody83 is here bringing facts to the board. Miami recruiting many of the same players we are and some people thinking it’s a game changer when they offer another top recruit we are chasing. Yawn, business as usual. Everyone is a threat but this is nothing new. Get used to it if you want top recruiting classes every year.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

CT Rhody wrote:
reef wrote:The Miami offer is a concern. Larranaga is a top coach who churns out first round NBA talent quite consistently
Really? Miami is a football school and basketball program has never concerned me. Off the top of my head I honestly can’t name one NBA player from Miami or name the last time they were in the dance.
This is an absolutely scorching hot take right here.

They were in the dance literally this past season (they made 3 straight appearances). Also, they had 2 guys drafted in the last draft like 7 weeks ago.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

RhodyKyle wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
This is an absolutely scorching hot take right here.

They were in the dance literally this past season (they made 3 straight appearances). Also, they had 2 guys drafted in the last draft like 7 weeks ago.
Thanks, I was going to say same thing. Not to mention the allure of Miami that many love, an outstanding coach who has been to the final 4 and has excellent personality and a conference called the ACC makes Miami a very attractive offer.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

It’s just the fact that he’s still fielding offers and hasn’t dwindled down his list, greatly concern me.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

DC_Rams wrote:It’s just the fact that he’s still fielding offers and hasn’t dwindled down his list, greatly concern me.
Yes. I thought from early on that he was looking past URI for something better in his mind. Doesn't matter what we think of Miami or others. I hope I'm wrong but unlike with Bishop I don't feel good about this one.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Walker has never said he is going to make a decision in the Fall. Rhody was fortunate that last year’s 4 priority recruits made an early verbal and signed their NLOI in Nov. There are plenty of top recruits that don’t sign until the April NLOI Period. The trend has continued to see more recruits sign in the Fall but there are still the recruits who continue to evaluate and see if their offers change.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Rhody83 wrote:Walker has never said he is going to make a decision in the Fall. Rhody was fortunate that last year’s 4 priority recruits made an early verbal and signed their NLOI in Nov. There are plenty of top recruits that don’t sign until the April NLOI Period. The trend has continued to see more recruits sign in the Fall but there are still the recruits who continue to evaluate and see if their offers change.
And how many of them find 'better' offers?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I've said it before. His goal is Kansas. He wants to be at their Midnight Madness. Although it seems unlikely that he gets a Kansas offer, it just shows that he's shooting for much higher than the A10. And that's fine. If that's what he wants, good luck to him. The thing that sucks is that plan B for us would seem to be a pretty big drop off in talent. Would that be Somerville?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I've said it before. His goal is Kansas. He wants to be at their Midnight Madness. Although it seems unlikely that he gets a Kansas offer, it just shows that he's shooting for much higher than the A10. And that's fine. If that's what he wants, good luck to him. The thing that sucks is that plan B for us would seem to be a pretty big drop off in talent. Would that be Somerville?
So because he dreams of Kansas doesn’t mean Rhody should change their recruiting of him or that he ends up signing with Rhody.
I would bet my house thst he doesn’t play for Kansas.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I don’t have a list but Garrett wanting to go to Marquette comes to mind. You could also include Terrell who signed with URI in May after backing out of OSU.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:I've said it before. His goal is Kansas. He wants to be at their Midnight Madness. Although it seems unlikely that he gets a Kansas offer, it just shows that he's shooting for much higher than the A10. And that's fine. If that's what he wants, good luck to him. The thing that sucks is that plan B for us would seem to be a pretty big drop off in talent. Would that be Somerville?
So because he dreams of Kansas doesn’t mean Rhody should change their recruiting of him or that he ends up signing with Rhody.
I would bet my house thst he doesn’t play for Kansas.
That's not what I'm saying. I don't think he goes to Kansas either. It seems like he's shooting higher than URI and Miami would be that. And yes, of course we should still be recruiting him.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Do you really think Jermaine Harris was shooting for the A10? Or Tyrese Martin? We were the right program, not the right conference. Harris had a Kansas offer (and a Miami offer). We've been down this road before. Recruits like offers, most like being recruited. In the end, the staff will target recruits they trust will make an informed decision based on what's best for them. Not having a final list in mid August is not proof that Walker isn't one of those guys.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jermaine had a special relationship with Cox for 4 years. He's a different case. Maybe Cox also has a great relationship with Walker. I hope so.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

My point earlier was that we are always going to have to deal with late swoop-in attempts from programs that have brand appeal if we are going to recruit the types of players we want (and need in order to build the type of program we want). You can’t let it bother you or psych you out. Sometimes those late swoop-in attempts will work, too, and you can’t let that deter you in what type of players you recruit. That would be a Jim Baron-esque way to deal with it. Just stay the course, show the player where they are on your priority list - most of these guys will be smart enough to see how that compares to where they are on that list for other programs, and many of those guys will value that in a way that is beneficial to us.

I’m not going to sit here and say “yeah, Miami, they suck it’s a football school etc.” I respect the Miami basketball program but I’m not going to show them any deference when it comes to competing for a recruit. We won’t win every head-to-head with programs like Miami, but we will have to be able to win some of them to get good players so you have to embrace the challenge. The staff gets it, they have their plan, and I trust them (whether this particular recruitment works out the way I hope or not).
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

DC_Rams wrote:
I don’t think people will blame Cox if they don’t get Walker. We know how the recruiting game works.

A class of Bishop and Walker, though, would be a little reminiscent of EC and Hassan (Walker’s height gets him bumped up a few spots in the rankings over a guy like Hass).
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I am a URI graduate in 96 and season ticket holder that has read the board for many years and finally decided to register on the board.

I follow the recruiting closely and badly want it to be Walker and Bishop as much anyone. I have put a couple posts on twitter in fact that McLeod has retweeted. I love the new coaching staff and the way we have made it a point to build a relationship with 6/7 recruits in hope of closing the deal-unlike a Kansas State that offers everyone. I think in this case we will get Bishop as he seems less into the glorification of getting offers from big schools and will want to play with Fatts. Walker must have retweeted every social media that announced he got an offer from Miami and Kansas State. Many of his friends also have made comments about how big the offers were. I think we will be in the final 3 or 4, but don’t have as good a feeling after yesterday. Might be hoping that McLeod has another year to develop and put strength and weight on. The Harris recruitment last year was more controlled and not 40 new posts everyone he got a new offer. It was whether the relationship won out over a top program. I’m not sure if Walker will go down this road.

I do think the coaching staff does a great job with building relationships as seen from Harris last year!
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Iggy1979 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:It’s just the fact that he’s still fielding offers and hasn’t dwindled down his list, greatly concern me.
Yes. I thought from early on that he was looking past URI for something better in his mind. Doesn't matter what we think of Miami or others. I hope I'm wrong but unlike with Bishop I don't feel good about this one.
Some kids prioritize loyalty or the schools that believed in them first. Others really want the bright lights and the potential to be a star in a P5 conference. I really want Walker, but I won't fault him if it doesn't go my way. It's not over yet though!
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Billyboy78 wrote:Jermaine had a special relationship with Cox for 4 years. He's a different case.
And yet people on this board suggested we were all done after Kansas offered and then again when Harris tweeted a pic with Huggins on his WV visit and wrote GOAT. It just proves that message board analysis based on the retweets of a 17 year old doesn't compare to the information the coaches are working with.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Jermaine had a special relationship with Cox for 4 years. He's a different case.
And yet people on this board suggested we were all done after Kansas offered and then again when Harris tweeted a pic with Huggins on his WV visit and wrote GOAT. It just proves that message board analysis based on the retweets of a 17 year old doesn't compare to the information the coaches are working with.
Ok, I agree with that.