Your Pick for the next Head Coach (2018)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

I want URI's next Head Coach to be...

Poll ended at 6 years ago

John Becker
1%
David Cox
76%
Nate Oats
5%
Rick Pitino
13%
Other (please write-in)
5%

Total votes: 147

rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: Your Pick for the next Head Coach

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Of course Ed Cooley has built up a considerable amount of good will based on those 5 straight tournament years and people can look at his resume and say, "Ok, this isn't what we're looking for, but he can get the job done." People looking at Cox' resume have what to hang their hat on?
That's the risk anytime you hire a career assistant coach. Do you give them one/two bad years and say "That's it, this guy sucks because we have know way of knowing if he can be better?" I believe there are situations when you can clearly say that (mass defections/poor recruiting) but it's way too soon to judge someone off of a four month stretch many coaches have gone through. While unlikely (given historic averages), for all anyone knows, this team is pushing the bubble next season and this is long forgotten. Doesn't make it any less frustrating at the time.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

66, agree but Cox has Carroll and Sutton who you would think will really help him in his development as a head coach.

Of course I harken back to the days when Jerry D had Blaney and Jones as assistants. Total clusterfuck as HC with 2 excellent assistants. Farmer too.

How much did they help him? They did run the practices while JD was on his phone and leaving halfway through. Good times.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Well folks, we can bitch and moan all we want, but Cox is here [short of something REALLY bad] for at least another year, and likely 2.

Besides the obvious, meaning a big upward turnaround, what do we want to see, if that doesn't happen?

Mediocrity, say above .500 but not NCAA or NIT worthy, or a total dumpster fire like this year is turning into?

If things don't get a lot better, then I would rather see the thing implode, so as to force Thorr and Dooley's hand and fire him.

No Baron-like level....in other words just good enough to keep his job kind of thing. This leash needs to be as short as possible.

If they have to start over, the sooner the better.
I don’t believe this is true. If President Dooley and Thorr deem a move necessary it will be made.

The basketball program drives the bus and is a major part of the overall URI marketing strategy. People ( not just you bone) keep repeating this over and over. It’s kinda like fake news.

If a change needs to be made it will be made. Our basketball program simply cannot tread water. We have too much at stake, we’ve placed all our eggs in the hoops basket. The CBSSN crew was literally mocking us at times last night.

If it doesn’t do a complete 180 Thorr will be on the phone raising the necessary dough. He still has the phone numbers of a select few, I expect he has already received phone calls. We have Hurley buyout money as well.

I’d prefer the 180 but regardless Rhody hoops will not be allowed to sink. We need the revenue. A beautiful on campus arena cannot be empty.

Hoops will never sink to 5/7 wins again no way.

Also, it’s entertaining talk but Pitino is going to be a Running Rebel, that ship has sailed.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

57, I'd like to agree with you, yes Thorr and Dooley aren't the past regime, but this is really big bucks for URI to be ponying up to get rid of Cox after this season.

I just don't see it. MAYBE after next season....still a lot of money...would have to be train wreck of all train wrecks to happen after this season imo.

We do have some deep pockets boosters, but not many and they aren't multi million dollar ones like the big boys have.

Cox might need to change his staff....JD and CL are seniors...another recruiting class coming in.....he gets another shot...but not many more.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
I understand that you’re a Dayton fan so probably used to a program that is not a dumpster fire, so context re: 2012 versus 2018 is very important here.
Yes, fair enough.

Unless URI really tanks next year, I would give Cox at least 3 years. Firing a d1 head coach after only 1 or 2 years is virtually unheard of.

Even firing a d1 head coach after only 3 years is pretty rare. I can only think of Todd Lickliter getting fired at Iowa after only 3 years, and Kevin Stallings getting fired at Pitt after only 2 years.

12-13, 5-8 now, rpi 134

Hurley year 4...17-15, 9-9...rpi 120

Hurley year 3...23-10, 13-5...rpi 66

Hurley year 2...13-18, 5-13...rpi 156

Hurley year 1...8-21, 3-13...rpi 201

Baron last year...7-24, 4-12...rpi 256
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago count me on the Rick Pitino band wagon

i would think we can get him if we wanted him

i can't stand this losing and i am an optimistic kind of guy (believe it or not)

i choose to believe that he would do a good job for us and get us program enhancements and keep clean w/ the microscope that will be on him

i rather choose the risks of hiring him and what winning could do for our school than mediocrity

i know most are against this so proceed in using me as a human pinata !

CUT ECR !

Dang...just when I was about to consider blocking you...you finally come around.
(Actually, not worth it to block people...at the core of it, it's entertainment and if you block folks, you're going to miss some) ;)

Wonder if this will become like people not wanting to admit they “voted” for Cox and the 14 who wanted Pitino list grows? As time goes on The Who Voted for Pitino crowd might grow.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Pipe this Pitino talk. Lord love a duck.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

I understand that you’re a Dayton fan so probably used to a program that is not a dumpster fire, so context re: 2012 versus 2018 is very important here.
Hey, keep in mind that we went from 4 straight NCAAT's under Archie, to a losing record in year 1 under Grant. So, last year was VERY hard to swallow.

There was LOTS of doubt about Grant last year.

Give Cox a chance.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago 57, I'd like to agree with you, yes Thorr and Dooley aren't the past regime, but this is really big bucks for URI to be ponying up to get rid of Cox after this season.

I just don't see it. MAYBE after next season....still a lot of money...would have to be train wreck of all train wrecks to happen after this season imo.

We do have some deep pockets boosters, but not many and they aren't multi million dollar ones like the big boys have.

Cox might need to change his staff....JD and CL are seniors...another recruiting class coming in.....he gets another shot...but not many more.
We shall see, let’s all pray for the 180 turnaround. Unlike others I still see this squad as talented.

However we are on prime time Duece Friday night. Another humiliation will be a disaster. We face the sternest test in the conference IMO, 100% no nonsense team that runs a smooth motion system that can tear good teams to shreds. Again, I put up video - go watch it. McKillop in my opinion is historically good and has remained loyal to Davidson, uninterested in leaving for a P5 job. He has a system and recruits players to fit his method.

We face the tallest of tasks in the brightness glow of ESPN2 primetime. I suppose if you’re gonna fix something you can’t ask for a better opportunity!

Go Rhody.
Last edited by hrstrat57 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

daytonflyerfan wrote: 5 years ago
Yes, fair enough.

Unless URI really tanks next year, I would give Cox at least 3 years. Firing a d1 head coach after only 1 or 2 years is virtually unheard of.

Even firing a d1 head coach after only 3 years is pretty rare. I can only think of Todd Lickliter getting fired at Iowa after only 3 years, and Kevin Stallings getting fired at Pitt after only 2 years.

12-13, 5-8 now, rpi 134

Hurley year 4...17-15, 9-9...rpi 120

Hurley year 3...23-10, 13-5...rpi 66

Hurley year 2...13-18, 5-13...rpi 156

Hurley year 1...8-21, 3-13...rpi 201

Baron last year...7-24, 4-12...rpi 256
DFF, what the issue is, is the speed with which this team is falling apart....and the coach seems to have lost control of it all, if he ever had any to begin with. If the players have lost respect for him.....it's like a relationship, when trust and respect are lost, the relationship is toast. Not saying that has definitely happened here, but the signs are troubling.

A couple of weeks ago, things seemed to be progressing, albeit a bit slowly....but it's completely turned into a free fall since.

URI imo will give Cox a chance...but for how long? He doesn't [or shouldn't] have too long to get it right.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago
DFF, what the issue is, is the speed with which this team is falling apart....and the coach seems to have lost control of it all, if he ever had any to begin with. If the players have lost respect for him.....it's like a relationship, when trust and respect are lost, the relationship is toast. Not saying that has definitely happened here, but the signs are troubling.

A couple of weeks ago, things seemed to be progressing, albeit a bit slowly....but it's completely turned into a free fall since.

URI imo will give Cox a chance...but for how long? He doesn't [or shouldn't] have too long to get it right.
We had 5 guys leave the program last year, that is almost half of the friggin' roster...quite a bit of turmoil...it can get better. Again, after 4 STRAIGHT NCAAT's.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Hey, keep in mind that we went from 4 straight NCAAT's under Archie, to a losing record in year 1 under Grant. So, last year was VERY hard to swallow.

There was LOTS of doubt about Grant last year.

Give Cox a chance.
I am. I like him. You messed up, though, trying to compare 2012 with 2018. It goes way beyond Baron’s record the year before. Rhody fans know what the records have been. They don’t need a Dayton fan to tell them :)
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think most here were fairly OK with the season and the team's performance when we were 11-7. We all expected ups and downs from both players and the coach. We were concerned about the FT and 3 pt. shooting, but it wasn't a huge deal at that point.

However I think we did expect things to keep progressing from there. Martin was showing great promise and Tate was showing flashes.

Since then, what could be worse? Lack of effort, clueless coaching....even worse shooting...Tate and Martin disappearing.....

And it's happening EVERY game now. That's what is so discouraging.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago 57, I'd like to agree with you, yes Thorr and Dooley aren't the past regime, but this is really big bucks for URI to be ponying up to get rid of Cox after this season.

We shall see, let’s all pray for the 180 turnaround. Unlike others I still see this squad as talented.

However we are on prime time Duece Friday night. Another humiliation will be a disaster. We face the sternest test in the conference IMO, 100% no nonsense team that runs a smooth motion system that can tear good teams to shreds. Again, I put up video - go watch it. McKillop in my opinion is historically good and has remained loyal to Davidson, uninterested in leaving for a P5 job. He has a system and recruits players to fit his method.

We face the tallest of tasks in the brightness glow of ESPN2 primetime. I suppose if you’re gonna fix something you can’t ask for a better opportunity!

Go Rhody.
The sternest test...in the brightness glow.... that's pretty dramatic!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago

Go Rhody.
The sternest test...in the brightness glow.... that's pretty dramatic!
“Brightness Glow” Siri auto correct creates a monster!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago I think most here were fairly OK with the season and the team's performance when we were 11-7. We all expected ups and downs from both players and the coach. We were concerned about the FT and 3 pt. shooting, but it wasn't a huge deal at that point.

However I think we did expect things to keep progressing from there. Martin was showing great promise and Tate was showing flashes.

Since then, what could be worse? Lack of effort, clueless coaching....even worse shooting...Tate and Martin disappearing.....

And it's happening EVERY game now. That's what is so discouraging.
That 11-7 came with a very weak OOC schedule. West Virginia, PC both last in their leagues. Nevada dropped out. Compared to past 4-5 years it was way down.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Big difference between Cox and Grant

Cox 1st time as a head coach

Grant was head coach at VCU and Bama as well as top assistant under Donovan
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There is a growing consensus that URI blew it when they hired Cox. And I don't mean the KB board.

Fortunately they can get out of it without much money after his 3rd year.

Problem is, how much damage will be done by then?

Only chance he goes after 2 years is booster money.

This is what we are facing.

Just an all around crap situation.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

reef wrote: 5 years ago Big difference between Cox and Grant

Cox 1st time as a head coach

Grant was head coach at VCU and Bama as well as top assistant under Donovan
Fired at Alabama though after a fairly uninspiring 6 year run down there.

The Alabama coach before him, Mark Gottfried, did much better than him, and the Alabama coach after him, Avery Johnson, has already, after just 3 years, done better than him in terms of NCAAT success.

But, I do see signs that Grant is improving as a coach.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

DFF, you should be pleasantly surprised at your team's success this season. I don't think many on your board thought they would be where they are right now.

You've won some close games, Toppin has been really good, for a team with no depth it reminds me a little of what Archie accomplished in a similar situation....that Elite 8 run....not saying that will happen though.

And your future imo looks bright....can't say that for us right now. Cox looks like he's in over his head....and that's an understatement.

You have an alum for a coach, who's not likely to go anywhere for quite a while. It looks like it was a good hire...it's early yes but the signs are there.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago There is a growing consensus that URI blew it when they hired Cox. And I don't mean the KB board.

So, I have not read this whole thread, but who should they have hired instead? John Becker?

I would not give up on him yet, Grant has improved this year, we looked really bad at times last year, one year can make a big difference. And this is coming from a big Grant doubter, who was not expecting much this year.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

And even look at the VCU coach Rhoades.

Last year: rpi 135, 18-15, 9-9

This year, maybe back in the NCAAT.

And that rpi 135 year was after 7 straight NCAAT appearances under Smart and Wade.

The VCU fans were all over Rhoades after year 1.

Coaching transitions can be brutal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

DFF, he will get his chance next year...make or break for sure...there are a TON of issues to deal with....

Grant had the advantage of being an experienced coach, which obviously isn't the case here.

Our top 2 assistants I thought were good hires....but what have they done to assist Cox?

Becker...no way. Our list of candidates was not impressive...and most here think that was due to everyone knowing we were going to hire Cox.

I didn't take much stock in Thorr saying it was a full search....baloney
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rhoades was assistant there just like Cox was here.

Yes both Grant and Rhoades struggled last year.....but neither fell off a cliff like we're doing right now, especially late in the season, when teams usually show improvement.

Even Baron's teams, who usually collapsed in February, weren't this bad. This team is disappearing!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago 66, agree but Cox has Carroll and Sutton who you would think will really help him in his development as a head coach.

Of course I harken back to the days when Jerry D had Blaney and Jones as assistants. Total clusterfuck as HC with 2 excellent assistants. Farmer too.

How much did they help him? They did run the practices while JD was on his phone and leaving halfway through. Good times.
The fact that URI had to go out and hire Jeff Jones and Blaney to back up an inexperienced head coach in JD spoke volumes (they specifically stated this in hiring JD - something like, "it's okay - we'll get him experienced assistants." I would have rather of them hired Farmer or Jones as a head coach.

Cox I may equate more to Skinner. 4 years under Malone and Penders, rather than JD.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago There is a growing consensus that URI blew it when they hired Cox. And I don't mean the KB board.

So, I have not read this whole thread, but who should they have hired instead? John Becker?

I would not give up on him yet, Grant has improved this year, we looked really bad at times last year, one year can make a big difference. And this is coming from a big Grant doubter, who was not expecting much this year.
I don't remember who the finalists were other than Becker and from that list Cox was and still is my choice. None of the finalists impressed me.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Micah Shrewsbury was another. I don't remember the fourth
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Hopefully we'll look back on these threads and talk about what a bunch of morons we all are at this point next year.

But I've seen a lot of comparing Dan's first year to Dave's. For obvious reasons this is an obtuse comparison; like the talent on the rosters, existing culture, incoming recruits/transfers, etc. The other major piece was the pre-season expectations, as URI was picked to finish 15 out of 16. URI actually finished above the expectations in 14th place. This year's expectations were for a 5th place finish.

Just to compare them in numbers only, one thing stood out to me: "competitive" losses.

Dan's team was overmatched talentwise, and had obvious struggles en route to an 8-21 mark.

Of those 21 losses - only 3 were true blowouts: and 81-44 drubbing by St Joes (37 points), an 81-53 smashing by UMass (28 points), and an 82-59 ass kicking by St Marys (23 points).

After that - we were in most every other game.

Two 15 point losses, one 13 point loss, two 12 point losses, and two 11 point losses. The majority of the losses were single digit games though. 11 losses by 9 or less, 9 of which were 2 possession games, 4 were 1 possession games.

Dan's teams never gave up, even on nights when they just didn't have it.

Of the 13 losses this year, we've been blown out 3 times - by 34, 29, and 17. While we do have 6 single digit losses, one of which saw us blow a 4 point lead with the ball and 40 seconds left, and one saw us blow a 19 point halftime advantage.

One other major difference was the schedules that each team played. 2012's team played a tough schedule with 7 NCAA opponents (beating one), and in a conference that had 5 NCAA qualifiers.

This years team has played - maybe 1? 2?

I get that this board is in a full-blown meltdown, and for the people who try to rationalize it - just keep in mind that you cannot compare was Dan had to do with what he was given, versus what Dave walked into and has squandered.

For sure there's a lot of blame to go on certain players for being on IG live all the time shirtless in his room, instead of in the gym working on their worst 3 point shot in the country - but that stuff has to fall on the coach for not creating an environment to either inspire or demand his players put in the extra work to get playing time.

This year is a wash, and hopefully the off-season will provide a reset and all of this will be laughed about next year when we go to the tournament.

Just stop comparing this "year one" to Dan's. IF things don't change you can start that comparison for the next coach in 4 years when this program is completely irrelevant again.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Great post Blue Man!

It's all about what you have done with what you started with. There is no comparison between the two.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue man - I have tried to rationalize the collapse of this program to some extent (not to excuse it, just try to understand it objectively to see if it can approached in a way other than “fIrE CoX afTeR onE sEAsoN!!1!”). But one thing I would never do is compare this season to Dan’s first season. It’s an absurd idea on it’s face if you’re even paying a cursory amount of attention. There should be a middle ground between absolute 5 alarm freakout and whistling past the graveyard. This year has been a complete disaster that can be explained by a nightmarish combination of factors, several of which, with the benefit of hindsight, shouldn’t have been so hard to see coming, and a few others that are genuinely surprising.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

2012-2013

Line up - Powell, Mumford, Malone, Buchannan, Hare, Malasevic, Aaman...........62 ppg, 40% shooting, 32 % from 3.

W 8 - L 22, 3 - 13 IN A10
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

The talent level Cox inherited was not that much better, if better at all then Powell, Mumford, Malone, Buchannan, Hare, Malasevic, Aaman. Hurley's left overs were certainly better shooters. I believe Hurley saw the hand writing on the wall which is why he jumped at his " Dream Job". We are being lead to believe Hurley choose Ryan Preston over Obi Toppin. If this is true then it would be reasonable to conclude that Hurley knew he was leaving after last year so he went with Ryan over Obi because of the iffy eligibility of Toppin for last year which was going to be his final year at URI. Why else would anyone take Preston over Toppin? Hurley had to feel he had hit his ceiling here especially with what he had coming back this year.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

79RhodyFan wrote: 5 years ago The talent level Cox inherited was not that much better, if better at all then Powell, Mumford, Malone, Buchannan, Hare, Malasevic, Aaman. Hurley's left overs were certainly better shooters. I believe Hurley saw the hand writing on the wall which is why he jumped at his " Dream Job". We are being lead to believe Hurley choose Ryan Preston over Obi Toppin. If this is true then it would be reasonable to conclude that Hurley knew he was leaving after last year so he went with Ryan over Obi because of the iffy eligibility of Toppin for last year which was going to be his final year at URI. Why else would anyone take Preston over Toppin? Hurley had to feel he had hit his ceiling here especially with what he had coming back this year.
10000000000 percent disagree.

First of all, Hurley didn't "inherit" Munford, he brought him with.

So outside of that, maybe 1 player (Nik) due to our current shooting woes would even start on this team. But on paper? If you go back to this offseason?

Jeff Dowtin could have been argued as a top 25 PG in the country after last year. He's been woefully misused, he's not even a full time PG anymore. A great PG should be able to get you to a place where you're competitive in every game. Hurley had Mike Powell and Mike Powell's dad.

Langevine would've been the best player on that team. Tyrese Martin is already better than 80% of that roster. Tate and Harris are more talented than all but a maximum of 3 of those players at the moment.

The part I still don't get here for people acting like Dave Cox was given some type of bare cupboard...THESE ARE ALL HIS KIDS.

Dave was the lead recruiter on 75% of this roster. The ones he didn't recruit? He's been their coach for years.

If the talent level isn't that much better - why was Dan's team picked to finish nearly dead last in his first year and Cox's team picked to finish 5th?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good points on the struggle of Dayton and VCU last year and how they rebounded this year

We need to show significant improvement next year or hopefully we can make a change after year 2
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Rhoades was assistant there just like Cox was here.

Yes both Grant and Rhoades struggled last year.....but neither fell off a cliff like we're doing right now, especially late in the season, when teams usually show improvement.

Even Baron's teams, who usually collapsed in February, weren't this bad. This team is disappearing!
With VCU, they had a legitimate stud in Justin Tillman on that roster who was only forced to take on a slightly larger role -- not going from a 5th-8th option to lead dog. VCU also had no freshman among it's top 7 producers. And, while not a great three point shooting team, could still put the ball in the basket in a variety of ways.

Dayton was 8-10 in the A10 last season, so I don't know exactly why you are re-writing history ... Dayton you are talking about a team that started A10 play 3-2 and finished the regular season 5-8.

Through all of their warts, URI is still projected to finish 8-10 in A10 play. And if that happens, that would mean that they also enter the A10 tournament with a 5-8 record in their last 13 as Dayton did last season. And even if they finish 4-9, is it drastically different?

I think it only feels differently because it's been 4 straight losses, but outside of Fordham, they literally lost to the 3 best teams in the A10 and it's not even close. I think people just underestimated the gap between URI and those teams, but the writing was on the wall.
RhodyRamFan69
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyRamFan69 »

Really don't understand why Cox is getting the blame for our players shooting so poorly. It's not like he's changed anyone's mechanics and we've always had a "streetball" style offense. We are definitely taking bad shots but Fatts, Jeff, and Thompson are all shooting 10% worse from 3 versus previous years. And for all of you poo pooing Powell he shot 31% from 3 in 2013 that's better than all 3 of the aforementioned players. If Fatts, Dowtin, and Thompson shot close to their career averages this year we would've had a good chance at winning against Bucknell, Hawaii, St. Louis (road), UMass, Duquesne, and Fordham. Let's say we win 50% of those games the URI Rams would be 15-10 and none of your BOZOS would be calling for Cox's job. I don't want to come off as a Cox fanboy, but it's obvious that he cares deeply about this program and wants to win. It's his first time being a head coach give the man a couple years and he will right the ship!!!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think heaping all the blame on Cox, even in a “the-buck-stops-here” way, is a huge oversimplification. Also, letting him off the hook entirely by saying we are young, or he is in his first year, or the players are shooting poorly, or we have no depth and therefore it’s not his fault is also wrong. There are a lot of factors to what has gone on here, and they’re all intertwined and compound each other. I don’t have a clear diagnosis of the exact problem, but I am standing firmly against any attempts to oversimplify it. There’s a lot going on.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

When was the last time we lost a game by more than 34 points?
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........put me in the camp that thinks there are more problems going on with with team and it’s coaching that better shooting would alone solve........
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Rhoades was assistant there just like Cox was here.

With VCU, they had a legitimate stud in Justin Tillman on that roster who was only forced to take on a slightly larger role -- not going from a 5th-8th option to lead dog. VCU also had no freshman among it's top 7 producers. And, while not a great three point shooting team, could still put the ball in the basket in a variety of ways.

Dayton was 8-10 in the A10 last season, so I don't know exactly why you are re-writing history ... Dayton you are talking about a team that started A10 play 3-2 and finished the regular season 5-8.

Through all of their warts, URI is still projected to finish 8-10 in A10 play. And if that happens, that would mean that they also enter the A10 tournament with a 5-8 record in their last 13 as Dayton did last season. And even if they finish 4-9, is it drastically different?

I think it only feels differently because it's been 4 straight losses, but outside of Fordham, they literally lost to the 3 best teams in the A10 and it's not even close. I think people just underestimated the gap between URI and those teams, but the writing was on the wall.
All fair, but the gap between us and VCU was a 7 point win just a couple weeks ago and then a 32 point loss. That a pretty massive spread and its not a talent gap that caused it. Dayton and Davidson i will give you, but getting demolished at home to Dayton, blowing a 20 pt lead to Duquesne, losing to Fordham under any circumstances, then getting run off the floor by a team you beat 2 weeks ago are all not good signs.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I think heaping all the blame on Cox, even in a “the-buck-stops-here” way, is a huge oversimplification. Also, letting him off the hook entirely by saying we are young, or he is in his first year, or the players are shooting poorly, or we have no depth and therefore it’s not his fault is also wrong. There are a lot of factors to what has gone on here, and they’re all intertwined and compound each other. I don’t have a clear diagnosis of the exact problem, but I am standing firmly against any attempts to oversimplify it. There’s a lot going on.
Maybe a simplification, but it’s an accurate one. It all starts and ends with the coach. We can bebate all the minutia, but at the end of the day the coach is responsible for it all.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I think heaping all the blame on Cox, even in a “the-buck-stops-here” way, is a huge oversimplification. Also, letting him off the hook entirely by saying we are young, or he is in his first year, or the players are shooting poorly, or we have no depth and therefore it’s not his fault is also wrong. There are a lot of factors to what has gone on here, and they’re all intertwined and compound each other. I don’t have a clear diagnosis of the exact problem, but I am standing firmly against any attempts to oversimplify it. There’s a lot going on.
Maybe a simplification, but it’s an accurate one. It all starts and ends with the coach. We can bebate all the minutia, but at the end of the day the coach is responsible for it all.
When players have such a drastic drop in their performance from one coach to another it's a pretty easy thing to point at.

Obviously it's on the players to put in the work - but if the coach isn't incentivizing, expecting, motivating, or otherwise getting the players to buy in to extra work outside of practice - that's on the coach as much as it is the player.

I don't ever remember Fatts or any of the other players on social media as much in the past as this year.

Hurley had a focus on TEAM. This team has a focus on everything but.

That comes from the top.

Again, you have to have Cox as your coach next year, but if you don't dance in 2020 you have to be ready to pull the plug immediately.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago But why can't the solution be as simple as URI has played a lot of conference games, and the scout is out on them? Yes, URI beat VCU by 7 at home. Maybe they went home, watched the tape of the game, came up with a much better gameplan, and executed better on game day? I fully believe the worst achilles heel a team can have is lack/inconsistent shooting. It should be the easiest scout in the world (I.E. - collapse the paint and force them into tough two's). If you cannot consistently score, you are going to continually be prone to give up big runs. Why? Because you're team won't ever be able to step on a team's throat (I.E - if a team scores 6 points in 8 minutes, it's unlikely that you are outscoring them by any more than 6-8 points), and then when that team get's hot, they can score 25 points in 10 minutes, but it wouldn't surprise anyone if you scored 6-8 points.
But why can't the solution be as simple as URI has played a lot of conference games, and the scout is out on them? Yes, URI beat VCU by 7 at home. Maybe they went home, watched the tape of the game, came up with a much better gameplan, and executed better on game day? I fully believe the worst achilles heel a team can have is lack/inconsistent shooting. It should be the easiest scout in the world (I.E. - collapse the paint and force them into tough two's). If you cannot consistently score, you are going to continually be prone to give up big runs, because your team won't ever be able to step on a team's throat (I.E - if a team scores 10 points in 10 minutes, it's unlikely that you are outscoring them by any more than 6-8 points), and then when that team get's hot, they can score 25 points in 10 minutes, but it wouldn't surprise anyone if you scored 8-10 points. You could very well be sitting there at halftime against a team you outplayed for at least 10 out of 20 minutes, but trail 35-26.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody72 wrote: 5 years ago When was the last time we lost a game by more than 34 points?
To answer your question specifically, on March 6th, 2013, URI lost at St. Joseph's, 81-44.

URI's top 5 scorers in that game were (in order): Nikola Malesevic & Andre Malone (10 points), Mike Aaman (8 points), T.J. Buchanan (6 points), and Jordan Hare (4 points).

The team shot 1-20 from 3 in that game and trailed by 19 at halftime.

However, I'll also give you 20+ point losses in the last 5 years, as to me, it's still a huge blowout.

3/17 - Neutral Duke (87-62)
2/27 - Home St. Joseph's (78-48)

None

11/25 - Neutral Maryland (86-63)

None

11/19 - At Arizona (87-59)
11/11 - At SMU (89-58)
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

79RhodyFan wrote: 5 years ago The talent level Cox inherited was not that much better, if better at all then Powell, Mumford, Malone, Buchannan, Hare, Malasevic, Aaman. Hurley's left overs were certainly better shooters. I believe Hurley saw the hand writing on the wall which is why he jumped at his " Dream Job". We are being lead to believe Hurley choose Ryan Preston over Obi Toppin. If this is true then it would be reasonable to conclude that Hurley knew he was leaving after last year so he went with Ryan over Obi because of the iffy eligibility of Toppin for last year which was going to be his final year at URI. Why else would anyone take Preston over Toppin? Hurley had to feel he had hit his ceiling here especially with what he had coming back this year.
I stopped reading after the first sentence. I hope the rest of the post got better and was rooted in reality
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I agree with the Preston/Toppin/Hurley part of this
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

To me it’s not about the record or scores necessarily but how they are playing. The lack of purpose, the lackadaisical passing, the way they come in and out of the game etc etc they just seem to be a rudderless ship. I really hope I am wrong and we turn it around next yeR.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
I stopped reading after the first sentence. I hope the rest of the post got better and was rooted in reality
I stopped when I got to Mumford................and sons?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago

All fair, but the gap between us and VCU was a 7 point win just a couple weeks ago and then a 32 point loss. That a pretty massive spread and its not a talent gap that caused it. Dayton and Davidson i will give you, but getting demolished at home to Dayton, blowing a 20 pt lead to Duquesne, losing to Fordham under any circumstances, then getting run off the floor by a team you beat 2 weeks ago are all not good signs.
RJ,
You mention 4 straight losses but to give true justice you should say we have lost 6 of our last 7 and the first two losses were to UMASS and Duquesne. This less than expected performance (again URI was picked by A10 Head Coaches to finish 5th) did not just start 4 games ago.
And are you saying there really is no problem here? All is well?
This poor shooting did not just start. And if teams are packing it in because they know we are bad shooters then the shots should be even easier, right?
A poor OOC caliber schedule helped to hide the teams performance issues.
Also helped hide coaching issues
Much, much too long to put Martin in the starting line up for Thompson
Not playing Harris anywhere near enough. Finally last game he gets descent playing time

Wish I had your optimism.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Don’t think that is why Dan Hurley left URI at all. He struggled mightily with the decision.