The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: The Official URI’s Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by PeteRI »

Iggy1979 wrote:If Hurley takes any of the recruits that have signed NLOI with URI then he is screwing Thorr, Cox, Fatts and Dowtin. That's not what you would do to "family!"
At this point, I think any discussion of a link between Coach Hurley and "family" should be retired.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If? He's already screwing URI. I would imagine he will at least go after the 4 star forward.

Of course, he'll wait until Cox gets hired though before doing it
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Some quotes of Thorr's press conference (from Sam Murray's twitter (https://twitter.com/smurray1212)):

I love the last one!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

steviep123 wrote:Just a question. Where is the new performance facility that was opened a few years ago? Is it next to the West Gym? Does that matter?
Fasciatelli is the public gym for everyone on campus to use. It's located where RoJo's used to be, across from Hope.

The Athletics facility is located in the gym formerly known as Tootell East - across from the pools in tootell. Tootell west is up the stairs on the other side of the building.

http://mpn-arch.com/projects/athletics/ ... ode-island
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

"Rhode Island is a combined 51-18 over the past two seasons and won both the 2017 Atlantic 10 Tournament title and the 2018 Atlantic 10 regular-season title."
https://www.fanragsports.com/news/roths ... n-waiting/

Thank you Coach Hurley. Now it's time for Coach Cox to build on that success.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Dan's going to do what he is going to do in his best interest. He may be a man of great integrity, but there is a point GREED takes over. He is not a person who has these incredible moral values and different. He IS THE NORMAL human being he wants to win at everything and make the most money possible. Just don't act like you are from the Waltons, (Tv show not Walmart). Its all business I understand. Coaching is a great business. Win, have success, a contract that you signed is ridiculous and not worth a thing. But you lose, the contract becomes everything, doesn't make a difference you didn't succeed at level that was hoped when hired. And kids that transfer are quitters. OK, that is rational , reasonable on honest thinking. It may be a little different to me, because I said that or its me , I am different.
Last edited by giovanni 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

giovanni wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:
Exactly why I posted it. Pretty solid precedence. Designed by KITE Architects.

http://kitearchitects.com/portfolio/wel ... ess-center
https://web.uri.edu/quadangles/fit-fabulous-fascitelli/

Here is the quadrangles article on its opening. Not only is it named for the late mother of alum Michael Fascitelli, who is a co-owner of the Milwaukee Bucks, he donated $1M to help fund it and was present at the ribbon cutting (see photo in article). Fascitelli is wealthy on the scale of Tom Ryan. Would be terrific to name another thing on campus after him....

On the scale of Tom Ryan? You might want to do a little more research on this one. Fascitelli Tom Ryan? Seriously
Fascitelli is worth nearly a billion dollars, so there are not too many scales after that. I didn't say they were worth the exact same amount of money, just that they are swimming in the same pool.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
giovanni
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:
giovanni wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
https://web.uri.edu/quadangles/fit-fabulous-fascitelli/

Here is the quadrangles article on its opening. Not only is it named for the late mother of alum Michael Fascitelli, who is a co-owner of the Milwaukee Bucks, he donated $1M to help fund it and was present at the ribbon cutting (see photo in article). Fascitelli is wealthy on the scale of Tom Ryan. Would be terrific to name another thing on campus after him....

On the scale of Tom Ryan? You might want to do a little more research on this one. Fascitelli Tom Ryan? Seriously
Fascitelli is worth nearly a billion dollars, so there are not too many scales after that. I didn't say they were worth the exact same amount of money, just that they are swimming in the same pool.
I'm old but if my mind serves me right Mike F was a JV player at URI in late 70;s. Dating myself with JV, most of board probably has never heard of JV, unless you are thinking John Vanner. Any of the old guys, can you confirm my thought of memory that he played on JV in the 70s with Willie Middlebrooks and the late and great Percy Davis? I know Mike was from and played at NP
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

EGram wrote:For all you Nate Oates fans he is basically a less tested version of clues who is 100% offense over D!
Shut up with your Iona nonsense. First of all Oats has actually won a game in the tournament, Cluess hasn't. Second of all Oats' teams are significantly better on defense than Cluess. In 2015-6 it was 134 to 145 in favor of Oats. 17 it was 114 to 211 and this year it was 136-218. On average it is 128-191 in favor of Oats.

We get it. You went to Iona and they're irrelevant, so you have to go somewhere to talk college basketball. But you are the only person here who cares about Iona, Cluess sucks, and he would be a disaster hire for us
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

rhodysurf wrote:LMAOOOO at that DDPerks tagline ^^^
Haha! I thought the same thing. Didn’t some asshat retweet that YouTube video Dan and Andrea at DD’s yesterday?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yeah, Jacobs, a writer from Connecticut
giovanni
Carlton Owens

David Cox hire,has nothing to do with keeping incoming recruits, if hired. (though that would be a great plus) though that would be huge. He is most qualified and best choice. Anyone that throws out a popular name has huge baggage more than likely. Stop with Nate Oats fascination. EC"s hs coach is his the highlight of his career. Love EC, but I will take Dan's and others recommendation for a coach any day over his.
resume.
Please I Love EC but his opinion trumps, ex coach, players and average, normal fan of team?
Last edited by giovanni 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

giovanni wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
giovanni wrote:

I'm old but if my mind serves me right Mike F was a JV player at URI in late 70;s. Dating myself with JV, most of board probably has never heard of JV, unless you are thinking John Vanner. Any of the old guys, can you confirm my thought of memory that he played on JV in the 70s with Willie Middlebrooks and the late and great Percy Davis? I know Mike was from and played at NP
Not JV but the freshman team
Slava Ukraini!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

giovanni wrote:David Cox,has nothing to do with keeping incoming recruits, though that would be huge. Most qualified and best choice. Anyone that throws there name is has huge baggage. Stop with Nate Oats fascination. EC hs coach is his the hi light of his resume. Please. Love EC but his opinion trumps, ex coach, players and average, normal fan of team?
I'd say waxing Arizona by 21 in round 1 is a bigger career highlight

as is getting 2 4* recruits to go to Buffalo (including the #2 JUCO last year) last 3 recruiting cycles have gotten 4 3* and 2 4* recruits...to Buffalo
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
steviep123
Sly Williams

The practice facility and all of it should remain on the table unless we want to be in this same position 5 years from now for the same reasons.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote:David Cox hire,has nothing to do with keeping incoming recruits, if hired. (though that would be a great plus) though that would be huge. He is most qualified and best choice. Anyone that throws out a popular name has huge baggage more than likely. Stop with Nate Oats fascination. EC"s hs coach is his the highlight of his career. Love EC, but I will take Dan's and others recommendation for a coach any day over his.
resume.
Please I Love EC but his opinion trumps, ex coach, players and average, normal fan of team?
Oats has three more seasons of college basketball head coaching experience than Cox, two more NCAA appearances as a head coach and one more NCAA win. You grossly underestimate Oats' resume.

I'm starting to get uneasy about this Cox situation. He's qualified, and I think and hope he'd be a good hire, but there's really starting to be a cult like vibe among some of the people supporting his candidacy
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
giovanni wrote:David Cox,has nothing to do with keeping incoming recruits, though that would be huge. Most qualified and best choice. Anyone that throws there name is has huge baggage. Stop with Nate Oats fascination. EC hs coach is his the hi light of his resume. Please. Love EC but his opinion trumps, ex coach, players and average, normal fan of team?

as is getting 2 4* recruits to go to Buffalo (including the #2 JUCO last year) last 3 recruiting cycles have gotten 4 3* and 2 4* recruits...to Buffalo
He may become a star in the coaching world. But so may David Cox. I think Coach Cox has recruited very well here. Maybe Dan closed all these "great " deals, but Cox was typically the guy who did the leg work and got the ball rolling. And he is not just a recruiter, but a very basketball savvy guy with experience I say move o, continuity something we have never had in these situations.

Whatever happens, happens, it is certainly not going to be decided on debate on KB.

Maybe I am in the huge minority, but its been 45 years of following programs, with many more downs than ups, but Coach Cox is a guy I think we are blessed to have and hope we do next year.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I am with you on Coach Cox, but I don't think we need to denigrate Oats to elevate Cox. They would both be great choices, but in our current situation I think I'd prefer coach Cox.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

giovanni wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

He may become a star in the coaching world. But so may David Cox. I think Coach Cox has recruited very well here. Maybe Dan closed all these "great " deals, but Cox was typically the guy who did the leg work and got the ball rolling. And he is not just a recruiter, but a very basketball savvy guy with experience I say move o, continuity something we have never had in these situations.

Whatever happens, happens, it is certainly not going to be decided on debate on KB.

Maybe I am in the huge minority, but its been 45 years of following programs, with many more downs than ups, but Coach Cox is a guy I think we are blessed to have and hope we do next year.
oh, Im 100% in Cox's corner. He's the only logical choice to avoid a step back. He's also proven he can do the Xs and Os and recruit. Hell, I said it back on page 1 here

I was just pointing out that Oats has done more than just be EC's HS coach.
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Agree with you, Iggy!
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

TruePoint wrote:I am with you on Coach Cox, but I don't think we need to denigrate Oats to elevate Cox. They would both be great choices, but in our current situation I think I'd prefer coach Cox.
Everyone should listen to the Yurview podcast interview with Cox.

The host mentioned that he spoke with Luke Murray (former assistant here, now with Xavier) and he said Cox was the best X's and O's guy he's ever been around.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

mstyles22 wrote: Everyone should listen to the Yurview podcast interview with Cox.

The host mentioned that he spoke with Luke Murray (former assistant here, now with Xavier) and he said Cox was the best X's and O's guy he's ever been around.
I listened to that entire interview -- thanks to whoever posted it! -- and here's my takeaway on Coach Cox:

- He's intelligent
- He's experienced
- He's talented
- He's dedicated
- He's a basketball lifer who lives, breathes, eats and sleeps for the game
- He's well-regarded by his peers
- His players and recruits love him

I think he's the right man at the right time, and I want him to lead our team to even greater heights.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

It will be 2 weeks plus before we have a coach.
NCAAs or Bust!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
giovanni wrote:David Cox hire,has nothing to do with keeping incoming recruits, if hired. (though that would be a great plus) though that would be huge. He is most qualified and best choice. Anyone that throws out a popular name has huge baggage more than likely. Stop with Nate Oats fascination. EC"s hs coach is his the highlight of his career. Love EC, but I will take Dan's and others recommendation for a coach any day over his.
resume.
Oats has three more seasons of college basketball head coaching experience than Cox, two more NCAA appearances as a head coach and one more NCAA win. You grossly underestimate Oats' resume.

I'm starting to get uneasy about this Cox situation. He's qualified, and I think and hope he'd be a good hire, but there's really starting to be a cult like vibe among some of the people supporting his candidacy
I am not denigrating Oats in any way. I dont think I have and don't mean to if i did. I did say he may very well become a star in the coaching world. But David Cox has a very good resume as well. Forget about assistant tag please. There are different directions you can go, in this case there is NO need to go outside of our "family". Absolutely zero. You may hate Rick Pitino, but Nate Oats is NOT Rich Pitino coaching wise and I will guess will never come close. Maybe a more "sexy" name to some, but Coach Cox is the man for this program. My opinion without a doubt. Many of most can disagree, fine.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I have had several contacts with David Cox and in every one of them I was blown away by his quick grasp of what was being discussed and the astute assessment that followed!!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I think URI fans need to stop saying "We need to hire Cox so we can keep our roster in tact". We need to hire Cox because he's a strong, experienced, up-and-coming coach who is the next step forward for Rhode Island. If players stay, great. But that's not why he's the right move in my opinion.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Obadiah wrote:I have had several contacts with David Cox and in every one of them I was blown away by his quick grasp of what was being discussed and the astute assessment that followed!!

Cannot agree anymore. That along with people I have talked to in AAU, hs, prep leagues, he has ultimate respect everywhere. Maybe why I am so bias toward him being appointed new HC and ASAP.
steviep123
Sly Williams

SmartyBarrett wrote:I think URI fans need to stop saying "We need to hire Cox so we can keep our roster in tact". We need to hire Cox because he's a strong, experienced, up-and-coming coach who is the next step forward for Rhode Island. If players stay, great. But that's not why he's the right move in my opinion.
This 1000%
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Here's my two cents...I was very disappointed this morning. Really down. I wanted Hurley to stay. But, deep down we knew that he wasn't with us forever. Bottom line is that we had a good run with him and he gave us lots of great memories over the past few years. We will be talking about them for years to come. The program seems to be in a good place now. We have to thank Hurley for moving things in the right direction. I am very optimistic about the future especially if this team stays together and recruits are still on board. Hurley turned the program around, but he's not the only coach who can be successful here. There are a lot of good coaches out there, and maybe Cox is one of them. Maybe he will do an even better job than Hurley. Our fan base is strong and we want a winner...I think the school knows that and wants to deliver. Hurley leaving does hurt a little right now...but we are going to survive and win without him. I wish him the best.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

giovanni wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
giovanni wrote:

Mike was at URI the same 4 years I was. I played against him in high school. Yes, he played JV with Percy and Willie, all three RI high school players. Mike went to Harvard Business after URI. He became one of the most successful grads URI has seen. There was a time there was only one person in the NYC area who was a bigger name in real estate. His name was Trump.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote:
Sign him up!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

How old is Cox? Seems he's a smart guy. Still very interested in his staff and who he hires. That is the fun stuff.

I also wonder how much charisma he has. And if he is Al Skinner who wants to be here or Jim Harrick who leaves in the night.

And lastly, would he relish the opportunity to destroy Uconn in the future? URI and PCee are still in position to own New England basketball.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow I had no idea Cox was that good at x and o at least what Luke Murray said. Sounds like we got a qualified candidate here !!!!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cox played at Bill & Mary graduated in 96 so he may be about 44 ???
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:How old is Cox? Seems he's a smart guy. Still very interested in his staff and who he hires. That is the fun stuff.

I also wonder how much charisma he has. And if he is Al Skinner who wants to be here or Jim Harrick who leaves in the night.

And lastly, would he relish the opportunity to destroy Uconn in the future? URI and PCee are still in position to own New England basketball.
I'm not 100% sure about age, but I believe he's actually a couple years older than Danny.

Regarding charisma, I think that's one of his leading qualities. He was always the one holding Danny back from refs, he was always the one talking to our players on the bench when they sat down... He was always extremely attentive with our bench and appeared to have his hand in on most of what was going on, hence the promotion to associate head coach.

He really seems to be a high-caliber guy. What remains to be seen is his ability to source a staff... that is a MAJOR component to maintaining success. He needs another version of himself if he hopes to sustain our current level of play.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

the_one_mike wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:How old is Cox? Seems he's a smart guy. Still very interested in his staff and who he hires. That is the fun stuff.

I'm not 100% sure about age, but I believe he's actually a couple years older than Danny.

Regarding charisma, I think that's one of his leading qualities. He was always the one holding Danny back from refs, he was always the one talking to our players on the bench when they sat down... He was always extremely attentive with our bench and appeared to have his hand in on most of what was going on, hence the promotion to associate head coach.

He really seems to be a high-caliber guy. What remains to be seen is his ability to source a staff... that is a MAJOR component to maintaining success. He needs another version of himself if he hopes to sustain our current level of play.
Are you sure you know what charisma means? He very well could be The Rock when it comes to charisma, he probably is very charismatic based on how successful he's been in recruiting, but none of what you described is actually charismatic.

This is exactly the type of stuff I was talking about when I said I was getting worried about the cult like vibe starting to grow around his candidacy
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

What’s understood doesn’t always need to be explained RhowdyRam02...shrugs
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

By the way, just getting back to Mike Fascitelli. The team he played for at URI was neither called the Freshman team nor the Jayvee team. It was called the Sub-Varsity. Just a little tidbit of useless information.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Are you sure you know what charisma means? He very well could be The Rock when it comes to charisma, he probably is very charismatic based on how successful he's been in recruiting, but none of what you described is actually charismatic.

This is exactly the type of stuff I was talking about when I said I was getting worried about the cult like vibe starting to grow around his candidacy

Code: Select all

cha·ris·ma
kəˈrizmə
noun
compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others.
the_one_mike wrote:...that's one of his leading qualities. He was always the one holding Danny back from refs, he was always the one talking to our players on the bench when they sat down... He was always extremely attentive with our bench and appeared to have his hand in on most of what was going on...
Eh, are you sure that you know what charisma means? Because based on that definition, in the context I described his actions they seem rather charismatic by my account?

As in his calm, charismatic characteristics always appeared to be a major piece of the puzzle on our bench?
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

All set with Becker, all set with Cluess.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I assume since cox has the buyout clause in his contract it was a known fact that Hurley would move on at some point and the administration would be on board with him being next coach.. Probably the reason he has stayed here so long.. Would not be surprised if there was another opportunity the last few years but he knew what was coming and this has become a pretty good gig especially for a first head job... Like that he has already reached out to recruits and current players... Something to be said about continuity.....
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We have a great class coming in. We have been recruiting '19 and '20 kids for awhile, so the pipeline has been established for next years class. What I can say, is if Cox gets the gig, and the recruits come and no one leaves then we will dance the year after next. If we don't, that would be on the coach.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

One thing to consider is that Rothstein's tweet, that Cox is the coach in waiting which now appears to be the common accepted perception, will likely deter potential quality candidates from inquiring about the job. Many will forgo it if they think they have no real chance to get it, especially those that might be current head coaches (would not want to tip their hand). It does look like things have been set up and leaked to orchestrate Cox as Dan's replacement.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RF1 wrote:One thing to consider is that Rothstein's tweet, that Cox is the coach in waiting which now appears to be the common accepted perception, will likely deter potential quality candidates from inquiring about the job. Many will forgo it if they think they have no real chance to get it, especially those that might be current head coaches (would not want to tip their hand). It does look like things have been set up and leaked to orchestrate Cox as Dan's replacement.
......May I suggest, if you have not, go to the Thorr presser to clarify things on this....l
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote:One thing to consider is that Rothstein's tweet, that Cox is the coach in waiting which now appears to be the common accepted perception, will likely deter potential quality candidates from inquiring about the job. Many will forgo it if they think they have no real chance to get it, especially those that might be current head coaches (would not want to tip their hand). It does look like things have been set up and leaked to orchestrate Cox as Dan's replacement.
Except that this has already been cleared up as not being a true "coach in waiting".
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Where does this idea come from that coaches are going to be faxing in resumes? This isn't the weekend shift st the GAP. Thorr has the names of people he will consider and reach out to their agents. Even if they think they're unlikely to get it, they will meet with him to discuss the position. If someone really wants the job and isn't contacted, that coach's agent will reach out to try to get a meeting with Thorr. There aren't going to be coaches that want the job that decide not to talk to us because they think one candidate has the inside track.
adam914 wrote:Except that this has already been cleared up as not being a true "coach in waiting".

Right, this too. Although someone that wanted to could argue that is just what Thorr has to say, I guess.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote:
......May I suggest, if you have not, go to the Thorr presser to clarify things on this....l

I was posting even before the URI 2pm press conference that URI could never have ironclad promised Cox the position. All they could possibly have done was give him a buyout if he did not get the job. The state has hiring polices and practices that must be adhered to.

However, regardless of what Thorr is saying about a national search, the perception is out there that it is going to Cox. Whether the job is truly wide open or not, it will have an effect on possible applicants.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

The good news is the administration thinks we are a final four level program - now they need to find the coach to bring us there. The vision is right.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »