Dan Hurley Signs Restructured Contract @ URI through 2021

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2015 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by ramster »

How do you know what the upper limit is that URI can pay?
Plus it should be no surprise that Hurley is in demand right now. The turnaround he has orchestrated since he arrived PLUS the justified optimism for the future having started 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores tell a very compelling story.
Nobody should be surprised especially URI fans who have watched this happen.
You want to be the Gonzaga of the east then you have to pay like the Gonzaga of the west.
As they say "the price of poker just went up"
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:
theblueram wrote:They were paying that before the contract.
Might want to check the actual numbers, but you make it seem that PC didn't have several times more TV money than URI gets as well as a larger fan base.
ATP, PC has an annual operating budget of......wait for it....$160 million. Yet they pay their coach $2 mill. URI has an operating budget of about $850 mill, and pay their coach $800k. Do the math.
The comparison to what PC pays is way off base:
1) PC brings in millions more than URI in basketball revenue. They have been part of the made for TV Big East Conference forever. TV revenue, ticket revenue, sponsorship revenue, NCAA tournament share.
2) PC is a private college. They can pay a coach whatever the President and AD want.
3) URI is a state university. They have restrictions from the state.
4) URI has many more sport teams that share in the athletic budget - football as an example.
“We will be good when we are good.”
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

I heard for a FACT -- FACT -- THAT NO ONE HAS HEARD ANYTHING FROM COACH HURLEY DIRECTLY.
Soooooooo, just keep up the self-induced anxiety attacks. They serve everyone so well.

Wake me up when the Sphinx speaks…...
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Then we are not doing the job right. Please explain the restrictions from the state. I'm intrigued. And to number 1, I guess we should hire a marketing director with some Wall Street experience. Number 2, We also have a President and AD that can pay whatever they want. Number 3, The restrictions, I know of no restrictions. Maybe ask Gordon Fox what they are. I can't answer number 4, since our football "program" should be exiled.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

We have the money to pay Hurley, and more importantly the people in power who understand why we need to.

He's staying. Breathe.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Frank_Keaney_95 wrote:Bring Al back as Preston's associate HC?
heck yeah
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

The media attention at St John's would be absolutely continuos and the coach would constantly be under a microscope. The pressure would be relentless............ St John's is not what it used to be by a long shot. If Jordan and Obekpa do not return (very likely) the new coach will be starting not at ground zero but way below it.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
GY=URI
Abdul Fox

Unread post by GY=URI »

MY last post I said I would not post any more but.......
I can't resist about the coaching subject.
I was for Preston before Hurley came.
Preston had sufficient experience and connections to do the job.
Preston recruited well for Baron and great for Hurley and it continued for BC.
The fact is that we have Preston recruits.
This could be the right time to get a long term Coach who bleeds Keaney Blue blood.
If Hurley move on I say thanks for the effort an your welcome for the exposure URI gave you.
Good by ram tough welcome back Running Rams. I hope.
Sorry to those who might be offended by my post.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

GY=URI wrote:MY last post I said I would not post any more but.......
I can't resist about the coaching subject.
I was for Preston before Hurley came.
Preston had sufficient experience and connections to do the job.
Preston recruited well for Baron and great for Hurley and it continued for BC.
The fact is that we have Preston recruits.
This could be the right time to get a long term Coach who bleeds Keaney Blue blood.
If Hurley move on I say thanks for the effort an your welcome for the exposure URI gave you.
Good by ram tough welcome back Running Rams. I hope.
Sorry to those who might be offended by my post.
You make good points. I am happy if Dan stays but do not feel it would be a disaster if he goes. If the University decides to increase his salary package for him to stay it should only be done with a large break fee if he does not finish the contract. I would be looking to do that with any coach that we give a lucrative long term deal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Oh good now everyone is a Preston recruit again just because a few NYC guys wrote some articles about St. John's.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

All snideness aside, IF Dan were to leave, who better to keep
the players we have?
The guy who recruited every important player except for Hassan Martin.
Preston Murphy is one of ours. He loves URI.
Nobody is ever going to outwork him.
A staff with ARD, and Tyson? Wow! Our guys.
Could do one hell of a lot worse, believe me.
Frankly, this "is he in or out" game is pretty tedious.
Also someone said Shaka Smart was not the name Dan is?
Really? Helllooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smart turned down jobs Dan could only dream of. FACT.
I love Dan, but let's get some persepctive.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Preston Murphy has no head coaching experience. Especially given what URI has in the cupboard - Matthews, Terrell, Martin, Garrett, plus potentially keeping some recruits even if Hurley left - I simply don't think they should settle for someone with no head coaching experience, regardless of their ties to the school. If Murphy wants the job, he can work his way from BC assistant coach to a head gig at a smaller school and then at URI.

I realize there is a strong instinct to re-live the glory days by instilling former players in coaching positions, but I also think that's one of the more obvious "errors" that's made when it comes to tapping coaches and management at the pro and college level. When you make coaching decisions based on nostalgia and emotion, I think you ultimately tend to regret it.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yeah, and Tom Izzo had NO EXPERIENCE AS A HEAD COACH.
and took over at Michigan State.
John Caplipari had NO HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE, when he was hired by UMass.
Shaka Smart had NO HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE when he was hired by VCU.
I could go on and on with similar examples.
If Hurley leaves, who the hell are you going to get? One of the NYC guys?
Cluess? Piekel? Same crap that were mentioned after CFL was canned.
Or some warmed over career mediocrity, like when CFL was hired?
It's not nostalgia.
It's seeing how hard the man works, and his dedication to his job.
This NJ thing has brought us one NJ player. Aaman.
What happened to the big St. Anthony's pipeline? Zippo!
Murphy is well respected, and had great recruiting connections.
We're not talking about Jerry D here.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Yeah, and Tom Izzo had NO EXPERIENCE AS A HEAD COACH.
here.
The three examples you gave are not really relevent to Preston's experience.
Izzo was a long term assistant at one of the top programs in the country. He was on the staff of teams that won several Big 10 championships, was routinely in the NCAAs and WON the National Championship. It was planned that he would takeover for Heathcote when he retired.

Cal was the lead Assistant at a top tier program (Pitt) in a conference that was considered #1 or 2 in the country. Again on a staff that was often in the NCAAs. He was the lead recruiter of several All Americans and NBA players. He took a job at a much lower conference.

Shaka was the Assistant at the University of Florida. Another top program in the country. On a staff that played in the NCAAs every year and WON several National Championships.

Preston has been an Assistant coach on teams that have never played in the NCAAs, never won their conference and had many years with a losing record.

I like Preston but he isn't Izzo, Cal or Shaka.
There are also many Assistants turn head coach that fail.

Taking any Assistant is a big risk.
The current players aren't going anywhere.
You can say Preston recruited them but he was selling Dan Hurley not himself.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Billyboy78 wrote:The absence of Ace in this discussion concerns me.
I've had this same thought. and I'm sure others have noticed her absence. If it's related it doesn't mean DH is going but it could mean he is giving offer(s) serious consideration.

In all seriousness here though, how much money does it take to move a guy out before he realizes the full potential of his groundwork? If he goes, in my mind, it better be for like 3x the money he could get here. At some point DH is going to have to operate a program that needs no rebuilding, If URI gets him money that is 'in the park' his long term interests are still better met here.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Like I said, I'd take PMurph any day over some
warmed over journeyman coach or these NYC guys,
like Masiello or Cluess.
Jarvis Garrett clearly stated that without Murphy's persistence,
he would not have come here.
All recruiters sell the head coach. They still do most of the heavy lifting.
Last year, Murphy was literally going coast to coast, just to scout, evaluate,
and meet talent.
As I said, nobody will ever outwork him.
That said, let's hope it's not a choice that needs to be made.

What is say 1 million dollars worth in RI vs. NYC?
BAR could probably answer than better than anyone here.
Got to be double at least, in cost of living.

As for Ace, I'm guessing it's easier for her to avoid this conversation.
Who can blame her?
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Also, I wish there was some way the A10 could make it an initiative to keep the best coaches around somehow. I'm sure this is a pipe dream, but if it were at all possible it would be nice for the A10 to gently ($$$) encourage the universities to keep their successful coaches.
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

def don't blame ace at all, I'd avoid this discussion as well if I were her.
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

cost of living is I'm sure way higher around NYC than it is here, but we're not exactly low cost living in this state, also the NYC market is much bigger, given a couple of years of success there and DH could increase his commercial (sponsorship, hocking local product, etc.) potential exponentially. If he stays and delivers on the dream though he could become a local deity, maybe make a run for Governor or US Senator district 2.
Go Rhody!!!
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Rhody83 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Yeah, and Tom Izzo had NO EXPERIENCE AS A HEAD COACH.
here.
The three examples you gave are not really relevent to Preston's experience.
Izzo was a long term assistant at one of the top programs in the country. He was on the staff of teams that won several Big 10 championships, was routinely in the NCAAs and WON the National Championship. It was planned that he would takeover for Heathcote when he retired.

Cal was the lead Assistant at a top tier program (Pitt) in a conference that was considered #1 or 2 in the country. Again on a staff that was often in the NCAAs. He was the lead recruiter of several All Americans and NBA players. He took a job at a much lower conference.

Shaka was the Assistant at the University of Florida. Another top program in the country. On a staff that played in the NCAAs every year and WON several National Championships.

Preston has been an Assistant coach on teams that have never played in the NCAAs, never won their conference and had many years with a losing record.

I like Preston but he isn't Izzo, Cal or Shaka.
There are also many Assistants turn head coach that fail.

Taking any Assistant is a big risk.
The current players aren't going anywhere.
You can say Preston recruited them but he was selling Dan Hurley not himself.
Contrary to what most people think, Izzo's first 2 seasons as HC in East Lansing ended in NIT berths, not NCAA. There were growing pains when he took over, which normally gets passed over by people when thinking of Izzo. However, he also had 13 seasons as an assistant prior to that at MSU. Tons of experience and was groomed by Heathcote as 83 said.

Izzo, Preston is not. His history with the program though is something to consider. His recruiting ties are established already. It's not out of the question to hire a guy who has zero head coaching experience, but it's not without it's flaws too.
Last edited by BPR2010 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

URI's awakening as a basketball program right now is the result of a bold hire the last time the job came open. If the job were to come open again, I expect the athletic department to act boldly again.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

We can speculate all we want. However, here are my thoughts on the subject. I have been in a similar position as Dan with my career lately. I was moved to TX 13 years ago from New Jersey with my NJ wife for a good job. We have established a life and have two kids that are Texans andvery established in their schools. We talked about "getting back" to Jersey for years and last year I was offered a job with a very good pay raise in NYC. We looked at our lives, our kids lives and the difference in the cost of living and decided to stay, it has been the best decision I have ever made. At this point in my life, I'm the same age as Dan, I put my family first and my commitment to the position I have in TX. When my kids are grown and out of the house down the road, those opportunities will be there if I want them. Bottom line is, money is not the only factor for a person like Dan, if URI steps up and shows him that they want him to stay, I see him putting his family first (I include the players in that statement too) ahead of the higher pay now.. It'll be there 5-10 years from now and who knows, Uconn prior to 1990 was a joke, but Calhoun decided to stay there and created a monster. St. John's was the one job that scared me, but as I think about it, it's a dying program in a declining league, crappy campus and a bunch of alumni that is living in the glory days. If Dan wanted to leave down the road, he could do a lot better.. I think he stays. I hope he does, and I hope URI steps up. I have donated to the fast break club many times since he was hired, but I made my biggest donation tonight. I want to do my part to continue this momentum.
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

If I were Dan H.??? Hmmmmm.

I think being in the spotlight would help him recruiting. If he's a hot commodity, it only helps to get the attention of a potential recruit... then he tells them to come to RI to play for him.

Publicity is publicity is publicity. Doesn't matter how it got there.... use it to his advantage.

(no need for him to squash the public attention he's getting while it can be used in a positive way; privately with family, friends, players, etc... different story)
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I agree, wish somebody on her knew what he was telling the players privately..
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:So what if Dan left and his staff followed?
Not like there's any stars in the bunch.
My point is not that we would lose the coaching staff and that would be a loss to us - the loss is clearly Hurley himself.
My point is that Tirone is from Staten Island, other coaches and staff are from the NY/NJ area so Dan could easily take them with him. It makes the move easier, the hiring and transitioning to the new job easier. Unfortunately makes leaving URI easier.

A new coach to URI will likely keep few if any of the current staff.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Mongo wrote:We can speculate all we want. However, here are my thoughts on the subject. I have been in a similar position as Dan with my career lately. I was moved to TX 13 years ago from New Jersey with my NJ wife for a good job. We have established a life and have two kids that are Texans andvery established in their schools. We talked about "getting back" to Jersey for years and last year I was offered a job with a very good pay raise in NYC. We looked at our lives, our kids lives and the difference in the cost of living and decided to stay, it has been the best decision I have ever made. At this point in my life, I'm the same age as Dan, I put my family first and my commitment to the position I have in TX. When my kids are grown and out of the house down the road, those opportunities will be there if I want them. Bottom line is, money is not the only factor for a person like Dan, if URI steps up and shows him that they want him to stay, I see him putting his family first (I include the players in that statement too) ahead of the higher pay now.. It'll be there 5-10 years from now and who knows, Uconn prior to 1990 was a joke, but Calhoun decided to stay there and created a monster. St. John's was the one job that scared me, but as I think about it, it's a dying program in a declining league, crappy campus and a bunch of alumni that is living in the glory days. If Dan wanted to leave down the road, he could do a lot better.. I think he stays. I hope he does, and I hope URI steps up. I have donated to the fast break club many times since he was hired, but I made my biggest donation tonight. I want to do my part to continue this momentum.
Mongo, great post.
Nice to read something reasonable, something real. Sometimes, as a husband/wife/father/mother, you do what's best for everyone, rather than what seems to be "emotionally ideal."
Your wife made a sacrifice for your career, you now have a family, but you're all relatively happy, and you're wiser than you were. You get it, and someday you'll have "the freedom to do something selfish" if you choose. The funny thing is, different circumstances will dictate the same irony-filled process.
I hope that I make sense, because I haven't really slept all night……
Again, thanks for the good read!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bressler3south wrote:
Mongo wrote:We can speculate all we want. However, here are my thoughts on the subject. I have been in a similar position as Dan with my career lately. I was moved to TX 13 years ago from New Jersey with my NJ wife for a good job. We have established a life and have two kids that are Texans andvery established in their schools. We talked about "getting back" to Jersey for years and last year I was offered a job with a very good pay raise in NYC. We looked at our lives, our kids lives and the difference in the cost of living and decided to stay, it has been the best decision I have ever made. At this point in my life, I'm the same age as Dan, I put my family first and my commitment to the position I have in TX. When my kids are grown and out of the house down the road, those opportunities will be there if I want them. Bottom line is, money is not the only factor for a person like Dan, if URI steps up and shows him that they want him to stay, I see him putting his family first (I include the players in that statement too) ahead of the higher pay now.. It'll be there 5-10 years from now and who knows, Uconn prior to 1990 was a joke, but Calhoun decided to stay there and created a monster. St. John's was the one job that scared me, but as I think about it, it's a dying program in a declining league, crappy campus and a bunch of alumni that is living in the glory days. If Dan wanted to leave down the road, he could do a lot better.. I think he stays. I hope he does, and I hope URI steps up. I have donated to the fast break club many times since he was hired, but I made my biggest donation tonight. I want to do my part to continue this momentum.
Mongo, great post.
Nice to read something reasonable, something real. Sometimes, as a husband/wife/father/mother, you do what's best for everyone, rather than what seems to be "emotionally ideal."
Your wife made a sacrifice for your career, you now have a family, but you're all relatively happy, and you're wiser than you were. You get it, and someday you'll have "the freedom to do something selfish" if you choose. The funny thing is, different circumstances will dictate the same irony-filled process.
I hope that I make sense, because I haven't really slept all night……
Again, thanks for the good read!
Agree, great post Mongo.
And you bring up important points that it is for the entire family to consider. I also have been in your situation more than once. Literally we got the flip chart out and wrote the pros and cons of the decision.
The process was painstaking at times.
I'm sure that Dan and his entire family and extended family have discussed this before but now it comes with a deadline once again to make a decision.
Same could be said about bobby Hurley who could also be up for the SJU job.
Plus side:
Rhode Island is a great state to live in, a beautiful state, no traffic, ocean,
Kids are settled in schools and at an important stage in growing up,
Easy to get to NY and family on quick notice,
Friends have been made in RI by all members of his family,
Low pressure life here
RI can basically be considered a suburb of Boston or New York,
Many people from NY dream of vacationing in RI and own property here. Dan and his family get to live every day in this NY dreamland so quality of life could be a big factor in this
Easy airport to get to and to fly out of ( I despise Laguardia)
Still has upside potential for URI, unfinished business, young team, program on the rise, plan to make URI the Gonzaga of the east is on track - a long way to go but on track for sure).
Can always pursue the bigger jobs when family ages more, kids finish HS, go to college, etc
Can leverage this new offer and other offers that will come in the future (this kind of thing is not over for a guy who has us now 23-10 and a growing reputation) with Thor and Dooley to get more money for himself and his coaches, and other perks

Reasons to go?
Salary of $700k versus a minimum of $2M. Lavin makes $2m and Hurley is who SJU wants. They don't want lavin and he gets $2m. My guess is Hurley would be well over the $2M. Money may not be the ultimate deciding factor but it is one
Close to family and old friends
A 3rd opportunity to take a program from the ashes and rebuild under the microscope of NY publicity
A big, new challenge
A stepping stone for bigger jobs
Possible option for an NBA coaching job one day - not sure if he wants this but if so its a consideration

Bottom line, Dan has put himself in a great position. He has been successful and he has demonstrated the all important upside potential. He benefits from listening to offers like these whether he intends to stay at or leave URI. It's frustrating for us as fans but we all knew this type of scenario came with the hiring of Dan Hurley. Best of luck to him and his family whichever direction they choose.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Let's calm down. Preston Preston Preston please stop you people did this once before. This is a game let the people in charge play the game without the minions here fre3kening out.

Besides Ron Artest has that St Johns job locked up.

GO RHODY!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Running Ram wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:The absence of Ace in this discussion concerns me.
I've had this same thought. and I'm sure others have noticed her absence. If it's related it doesn't mean DH is going but it could mean he is giving offer(s) serious consideration.

In all seriousness here though, how much money does it take to move a guy out before he realizes the full potential of his groundwork? If he goes, in my mind, it better be for like 3x the money he could get here. At some point DH is going to have to operate a program that needs no rebuilding, If URI gets him money that is 'in the park' his long term interests are still better met here.
Are you effin' kidding me?

Maybe Ace is Mrs. Hurley? (Sr.? Jr.? Andrea?)

Maybe she is the school's sports psychologist/social worker…..

Or…..

https://www.cia.gov/index.html

OR……..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqG4i3z ... freload=10

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES

A SUBSIDIARY OF OOOO-LA-LA LLC
Last edited by bressler3south 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Actually in the spirit of lent I heard a rumor Ace is THE BLESSED MARY herself.

GO RHODY!
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

I think Preston would be a great hire if this was a situation like three years ago. Assuming no one transfers if DH leaves, you can't give the keys to this car to Preston. This is a team ready to win. He's never even been on the bench for a single big game has he? Much less won one. I'd be happy for him to learn the ropes on a team that is going nowhere but not with this squad. I think experience is generally overrated but this is not the time for on the job training.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

scine20 wrote:Mustard and Johnson are still on the radio?
Craig is dealing with a serious illness at the moment Larry is still on Saturday at 9 with fill ins - often butch stearns
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Have faith that it's not Carothers and Petro running the show. Breathe.

I would be shocked if Dan left. You are forgetting who he is, who his father is, and what is important to him.

Winning.

He wants to be in a program where that is made easy for him. He put in the painstaking amount of work to change this program to what it is. Everything he wants athletics does. He is literally on the cusp of GREAT things here, and is this close to making this a VCU-like program.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Dan's got both back pages of the NY tabloids this morn...
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Does Dan really want a THIRD rebuilding effort in six years?
Slava Ukraini!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Nope I'm not effing kidding you bress, it doesn't matter who ace is, we all know she is close to the Hurley bros and that being the case it makes sense that she wouldn't post in this thread at this time, neither would I, that's why I made it clear that I was less than serious when I mentioned her absence from the discussion as a reason to worry, just that her absence is obvious.

now then mr. bressler I say ...
:lol: :P :D :D :lol: :| ;) :roll: :) :? :shock: :shock: :o :lol: :P :P :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :roll: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
to you!!!

Brought to you by RR fastbreak productions
IN ASSOCIATION WITH FUCK YOUR EMOTICON ENTERPRISES :P

that's the razzzzzberry for you :P Did you feel it?
Go Rhody!!!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

What I find most depressing is that it appears nothing has changed...the only coaches that stay here are the ones nobody (not even us) want! While we may not pay $2m/year, what Dan is being paid is not chump change...his annual pay at URI makes him an evil 1 percenter.

Yes, VCU has been benefiting financially from Smarts success, and that has made it easier for them to up his pay. Our situation is the chicken or the egg...what comes first success, then huge pay, or huge pay then success? Because others are forcing URI to bet on success that has not happened yet, and pony up for it, hoping that it comes sooner rather than later. Reward results vs reward potential...
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Blue Man wrote:You are forgetting who he is, who his father is, and what is important to him.
We have to stop pretending that he is that much different than any coach. To the extremes, he could have stayed at Wagner and won 25 games/year. But, he didn't. He wanted more. On the other side, he would burn rubber out of Rhode Island and be in Durham in 10 hours if they offered him the Duke job. The reality is always in the middle. We just have to see if SJU outweighs URI in terms of money, program, etc. Nothing should surprise anyone in college hoops.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

They were so nice to choose flattering shots of him at his craft. Looks perfectly sane!!

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

The NY Daily News has Dan as 3-1 odds as being next Johnnies coach:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/colle ... -1.2165311
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Just put the band back together. Harrick as Head Coach, Preston as Assistant Head Coach, ARD and Tyson... There you go, the 1998 team back to bring us to the NCAAs. Just don't schedule or face Stanford and we're all set.

Message note: This is sarcasm, but if ever to come true, you heard it here first.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
'No Mercy.'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Gonebarongone wrote:We have to stop pretending that he is that much different than any coach. To the extremes, he could have stayed at Wagner and won 25 games/year. But, he didn't. He wanted more. On the other side, he would burn rubber out of Rhode Island and be in Durham in 10 hours if they offered him the Duke job. The reality is always in the middle. We just have to see if SJU outweighs URI in terms of money, program, etc. Nothing should surprise anyone in college hoops.
This!

We all would love to think we know what is important to DH, but most of us base our opinions on how we think we might feel about or handle things, in truth none of us knows of all the things DH will be considering.
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Sweep, I like it!! :D
Go Rhody!!!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ATPTourFan wrote:The NY Daily News has Dan as 3-1 odds as being next Johnnies coach:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/colle ... -1.2165311
Just actually read th NYDN piece.... St. John s has money problems and owes Lavin $2m????

Run away Dan, runaway quick! Get your big man recruit done and take rhody deep.

That's my mid morning take!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Since we're bringing back old friends, let's not forget Roland Houston and Pappy Owens. I'm pretty sure both have more coaching experience than Antonio or Tyson.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I like these tweets:

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I wonder what Johnnie's APR situation will be after the last two seasons. Any other skeletons that Dan will smartly uncover through this process would certainly help us.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Whether he takes this job or not, he clearly is not long for the URI job. This is the 2nd time in 3 years this has happened and he hasn't even made the friggin NCAA tournament. Can you imagine if Hurley does take URI to the tournament? He'll have a lot bigger names than St. John's calling. Although quite honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Texas or Tennessee tried to take a run at him right now.