Game #16: St Louis - Tuesday Jan 7 @ 7pm ET

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Game #16: St Louis - Tuesday Jan 7 @ 7pm ET

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Thorr or someone needs to tell the security people that it is OK to stand up and cheer for your team.
I don't have a problem with the no call. I only partially blame X for that play. The coaches share part of the blame for not coming up with a better play. What did Hurley do, just draw a straight line down the court on his board?
Haha. I doubt it. Sometimes what you draw up gets scrapped when a guy thinks he has something. I think Jett did a good job of letting Munford think he had the sideline. I also think guys tend to underestimate how much time they have. Guys always seem to rush with seven seconds or so, when really that is plenty of time to get a normal shot.
I don't know. It's essentially the same play that beat Dayton last year. It's not like you can initiate a set play. I do think you can do a better job of getting to the middle of the floor and have more of the defense break down. I agree that players underestimate the clock, although all these situations are practiced all year. Everyone knows the Tyus Edny play. A good guard can get baseline to baseline in four seconds. I also think (please don't kill me Rod) that X overestimates how good he is. There was literally zero doubt in my head that he was going to either make a shot, miss a shot, or turn it over in that spot. He rarely ever passes it in these end game situations.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

He passed in the PC game. I wish he didn't.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

not sure what you mean that you can't initiate a set play.
Remember the mad dash that beat us a few years ago where Ulmer got picked off his man ... that was a play that worked. URI threw the ball into X and he dribbled up court. I didn't see any evidence that a pick was planned for him or for someone off the ball. Maybe I missed it.
Against PC, they inbounded the ball to X, he couldn't get anything going and dumped the ball to EC with three seconds left. So there's two end-of-the-game situations that failed badly. Time for some new plays.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

End of game plays that worked like that Umass play, or the famous Bryce Drew catch and shoot, or even the way SLU ended the first half are not the norm. Most great end of game plays are individual efforts vs well schemed plays that give you a wide open look. There were 2 picks set to free up X to catch the ball, and they tried to have someone rub off his man around half court but the pick didn't work. Something similar happened at PC. Iggy, c'mon, you cant think the play is give it to X and get out of the way, just bc that is what you see doesn't mean its what was intended.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

TruePoint wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Thorr or someone needs to tell the security people that it is OK to stand up and cheer for your team.
I don't have a problem with the no call. I only partially blame X for that play. The coaches share part of the blame for not coming up with a better play. What did Hurley do, just draw a straight line down the court on his board?
Haha. I doubt it. Sometimes what you draw up gets scrapped when a guy thinks he has something. I think Jett did a good job of letting Munford think he had the sideline. I also think guys tend to underestimate how much time they have. Guys always seem to rush with seven seconds or so, when really that is plenty of time to get a normal shot.
Spot on here and SLU did not want Rhody's lefty guards slashing to the bucket from the left wing so they shut it down. It was all in front of me and it was crystal clear. I had a better view than the coaching staff unfortunately and could see the left wing shut down before the ball was put into play....

We haven't got a right hander who can attack the basket unfortunately.....
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Beyond their performance at Ryan, who do you think is the better overall performer, Jordair Jett or Bryce Cotton.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

St. Louie scored on a set play at the half. I believe they had 3 seconds on the clock.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Iggy1979 wrote:not sure what you mean that you can't initiate a set play.
Remember the mad dash that beat us a few years ago where Ulmer got picked off his man ... that was a play that worked. URI threw the ball into X and he dribbled up court. I didn't see any evidence that a pick was planned for him or for someone off the ball. Maybe I missed it.
Against PC, they inbounded the ball to X, he couldn't get anything going and dumped the ball to EC with three seconds left. So there's two end-of-the-game situations that failed badly. Time for some new plays.
I mean a half court set piece. As much as I hate the end game management, I don't think they drew up X dribbling towards the corner. This is like a QB running towards the sideline and throwing back across his body towards the middle. Cardinal sin. I just don't think we do enough to get the ball into the lane in these situations. There was plenty of time for that. That's where defenses break down and good things happen. The PC game was 100x worse for me. Against a good defensive team like SLU, going full court, with under ten seconds left. The odds are against you. Against PC, X dribbling around the perimeter like a chicken without his head and then trying to get it to EC was a huge letdown. That has to be cleaned up. Would have been interesting to see what they had drawn up with 17 seconds left if Jett hadn't given that foul at midcourt.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Heart breaker. JR and Gil hit 3s against LSU, I knew we couldn't count on that.

I think the fact that Biggie creates or finds a guy for a layup every game means a lot. Obviously he needs to play better. A point guard that can't hit free throws is inexplicable.

Love our team now. I think JR shot chart for the season would make me cry. He needs a geometry class to help him make some lay ups.

Refs were rough for us last night, I feel like every season we have some games where the refs are blatantly inconsistent against us. Past week for this team has been very encouraging.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

OK here we go hopefully the workflow is under control ha ha!
Will edit post to add more content.

Starting with opening tap these should be sequential.

Got plenty more should have a shot you want give a shout.....

Enjoy!!

Last edited by hrstrat57 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

These end of game plays are so anti-climatic,it is almost expected.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

More:

More

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

More:

Lefty Slasher!! Love this one!

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

More:

Here is what SLU would not allow at the end of the game, final play....lefty slash, not gonna happen!!

As you can see as these go up I can print out a full size image....see one you want for a desktop or to keep, lemme know can try to repost full size like the above pic of Munford slashing to the basket....
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"We haven't got a right hander who can attack the basket unfortunately....."

So what's Xavier Munford?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

At this point we are now starting 2 freshmen, a 1st year soph transfer, a 1st year junior transfer and a senior (who was also a transfer). I think we are doing ok at this point. We have seen game to gameimprovements. Give it time.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

More gonna go big image for the rest, just cause I feel like it:

Final play 1st half:

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I think Munford attacks the hoop stronger from the left side....that's my opinion and sticking to it...see pic above. SLU setup the final D to force the play right, tho they may have been anticipating an attack by Matthews....
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Of the 16 league games, how many of you think that at least half of them will be decided by 5 points or less?

Would be no surprise to me. How many of them does everybody think we'll win?

I would be happy going 4-4. And an 8-8 overall record.

I now think that's doable, but we HAVE to win some of these close ones.

Then we can sit back and say after the season is over, that we won 17 games [before NY], and if we had won just a few more close games, we could have been a tourney team somewhere.

What does everybody think?
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

More lefty attack from our no 5:

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Couple more posts and we'll be done unless anyone needs something else....

Have a nice nite Ram fans!

Final foul call....

Dagger.....

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Love reading stuff like this...

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Let's close it out with this bit of happiness with wishes for many, many more to come!!

(posted earlier in thread, I just can't resist being happy!!)

rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That's like calling Larry Bird left handed, because he could lay it up with both hands and switch hands on a dribble.
Munford shoots right handed, dribbles 90% right handed, and writes right handed.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There's the foul on us with 7.4 seconds left. That extended left elbow did the trick.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:That's like calling Larry Bird left handed, because he could lay it up with both hands and switch hands on a dribble.
Munford shoots right handed, dribbles 90% right handed, and writes right handed.
Sure but for whatever reason the 2nd ranked D1 defense in the the country defended the left side of the floor as the strong side and left the right side open to attack....Unfortunately that play failed. Were they defending against Munford or Matthews?

I dunno but the choice they made worked.....probably I am making too much of it but sitting in sec 302 and watching it unfold was pretty darn frustrating I'll say that....
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:There's the foul on us with 7.4 seconds left. That extended left elbow did the trick.
Got a foot and knee block going on there too.... I love motor drives on cameras. Boom!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree. Not getting the final shot to the rim, un this and the PC games was very
frustrating.
At least if a shot hit the rim and bounced out, you'd think the shot could have had
a chance to win it.
These two aborted plays were discouraging about our ability to run such a play.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, this has been going on for a long time with us. Not just recently.

We have failed countless times, to even get off a shot, much less a good shot, in these situations.

Good teams find ways to make plays at the end of games. Their shots may not always fall, but they at least have a chance to.

I'm not blaming Dan. Maybe we just need more practice for end of game plays? We do have a couple of guys that are capable. Actually, maybe only EC. We need more.

Hell, throw a lob to Hassan. Nobody will be expecting that.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:Agree. Not getting the final shot to the rim, un this and the PC games was very
frustrating.
At least if a shot hit the rim and bounced out, you'd think the shot could have had
a chance to win it.
These two aborted plays were discouraging about our ability to run such a play.
I really think I had a better view from 302 than nearly anyone in the building so I can't be too critical.

Trust me, the D being set was clear, the team should have seen it on the floor if the coaching staff didn't. I think we kinda rushed the last play....

Doesn't the scoreboard pic above indicate we still had a timeout?

Again, don't want to go too negative here, SLU defended solid. That was the bulk of what took place.....against a lessor prepared team no 5 probably gets to the lane and gets fouled for a pair to win.....
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

78 I agree. Many close ones, lots of close ones last year. Happy that we are back to playing in close games. Have to execute down the stretch. Good teams get it done and put the game behind them.

Feel like A10 refs favor the top teams if you play them close. Regardless X can't fall down and take a dive for the foul there. Especially after he misses from the line, if I remember correctly?

Very happy to have a basketball team again.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I agree about their defense.

However, somebody is almost always open, especially when the double team comes to the ball.

We need guys who have the presence of mind to look for that open man, and get him the ball.

Of course, Jett didn't do that either. He basically went 1 on 5 and got the call. Would a Rhody player get a call if they did that?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

SPG, will we get the calls, once we're one of the top teams?

I'd like that.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Tell you what I'm watching uMass on comcast sportsnet right now.....they are pretty explosive tho SJU is hanging with them at the moment.....

Looking forward to seeing us hooked up with them.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I was surprised that the Rams came out so flat in the game. After a big road win to come home and play before the home crowd, you'd think they would be pumped. Maybe this is where the absence of students had a bad effect. The Rams play in the first half was so bad I can well understand why crowd support was muted.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Bone mentioned more practice of end of game plays....with ball....I would suggest that if these playS are not practiced on regular basis(daily?)and are kinda drawn up for the first time in the huddle, that points to coaching. On the other side of the ball, the piss poor defense on the end of half play by STL was also coaching and preparation......They are all a work in progress......I would also offer the StL end of half play was not drawn up in the huddle for the first time, but drawn as a reminder of roles.....after all this is D-1.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rambone 78 wrote:Rod, this has been going on for a long time with us. Not just recently.

We have failed countless times, to even get off a shot, much less a good shot, in these situations.

Good teams find ways to make plays at the end of games. Their shots may not always fall, but they at least have a chance to.

I'm not blaming Dan. Maybe we just need more practice for end of game plays? We do have a couple of guys that are capable. Actually, maybe only EC. We need more.

Hell, throw a lob to Hassan. Nobody will be expecting that.
This has been going on since..................we last had a great PG.

You can talk about "plays" til you are blue in the face, the other coach has the same plays to stop them. Or you can give it to Tyson and let him make something happen? Give the ball to your best playmaker and have them make a play is the best play. A la Lowe on Umass against us. We dont have a playmaker, we have a scorer, X. That is our problem. EC will be one, but not sure if he is there yet to go coast to coast in that situation.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"Actually, maybe only EC. "
I can't stand the short memories around here.
Remember the last second 3 to send the Auburn game into OT?
Remember the last second 4 to beat Dayton?
WHO THE HELL DID THAT? EC?????????? No! It was XAVIER MUNFORD!
How many last second shots did Marquis Jones make? Or Dawan Robinson. Or Dustin Helenga?
Stop the Goddamned whining! Enough!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rod, obviously since X didn't score to win the game last night, he is incapable. Duh. Only three guys who don't get that are you, me and Dan Hurley, I guess.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BAR, well thought out post.

Rod, typical overreaction.

Did I say we NEVER have made a play to win a game since we had a great PG?

Of course we have. I was just saying most of the time we don't.

I'm not an idiot. I know what I'm talking about.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

My thought is that being good at end of game situations are the last thing to come for young team. Unfortunately, for some guys and some teams it never comes around. That is the difference between really good players and great players.

I know X can hit daggers at the end of games - we saw it last year. No one else has shown that late game prowess yet this year and so teams are clamping down on X and X is forcing the issue.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:Rod, obviously since X didn't score to win the game last night, he is incapable. Duh. Only three guys who don't get that are you, me and Dan Hurley, I guess.
And the three of you will never get it. The guy hoisted up two bad threes and dribbled into literally the worst spot on the floor to end the game. You remember the exceptions. Of course, if you take 50 end game shots, some are going to go in and some are going to be very memorable. Hell, Rod could take 50 and a few would go in and he would be the hero. The reality is those end game situations have been horrible for Rhody for 50 games now. There can't be any debating that. Just because a couple worked out, don't think it is the proper way. He is shooting 27% from three. Twenty. Seven. Percent. And those were two of the shots we got against SLU. No ball movement. Just X dribbling until he could fire. Unacceptable. Don't confuse outcomes and process. In fact, I don't actually have a problem with X initiating the action. He is a senior, unafraid to take the shot. But, they turn bad fast because he becomes a black hole. Whether it is by design or not, who knows, but it can and has to be better. Are you three really happy with how the last minutes of games have gone?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"Actually, maybe only EC. "
"We have failed countless times, to even get off a shot, much less a good shot, in these situations."
Your words of gross overreaction, as always.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Obviously that play didn't go the way anyone wanted it to. I'm not defending that play, I'm saying it is dumb to look at every instance of failure and make it out to be proof positive that someone or something can't succeed.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I made my point. And some of you agree with me. And some of you don't. That's fine.

Rod, you can disagree with me all that you want. My problem with you, is that why can't you disagree with people, without being disagreeable?

Your knowledge of URI BB is encyclopedic. You have forgotten more about URI BB than I ever knew. I respect that.

What I don't respect, is your holier than thou attitude. When I don't agree with you, I don't jump down your throat. You do it to everybody at times. You won't, and can't, intimidate me on this board.

My opinions are my opinions, no more no less. Start respecting that, if you can.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:Obviously that play didn't go the way anyone wanted it to. I'm not defending that play, I'm saying it is dumb to look at every instance of failure and make it out to be proof positive that someone or something can't succeed.
That's fair. Going to the extremes either way is dumb. But, what is your honest assessment of how these have played out? I think, relative to our talent and the way the other 38 minutes of games, that the way we have played out end of games sets is about a C or D+. I think many times we have failed to get shots. And the ones we have gotten haven't been good looks. I think we can do a LOT better. I honestly would like to know how DH feels about the last five possessions against SLU. How would he grade it?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah, that is fair too. Our end game needs work. I think, though, that for where we are in our development that that shouldn't be a huge surprise. Based on the development I have seen from this team in the last month or so, my guess is that it will get worked out. Can't fix everything at once. If it were that easy everyone would be good.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

I get the senior/freshman thing. But, one thing you can do is let EC initiate more when it comes to the last few minutes. Bigger guy, can take contact better, can get to the rim through and above guys better (I think). Why not? Plus, it gives him some experience for the next 3 years. Let him make his mistakes this year.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

GBG, nobody likes those scenarios with PC and St. Louis.
I watched PC go the length of the court last night with 3 seconds left and
Josh Fortune, who is not in anyone's mind a go-to player,
get the basket.
Most of the successful last second shots (most aren't successful) seem to be
the result of a great individual effort, rather than a true set play.
I think going with X is predictable, but he's fearless and can usually get his shot off.
Maybe Matthews will eventually be the go to guy. Other than those two,
not many options. Gil? Fumbles a lot of balls passed to him.
Best option ins not to be in a position of having to win on a last second basket.
As for Rambone, put me on your "Foe" list.
Opinions are one thing. Hysterical ranting is another. One day you claim you're going to be
positive from here on. The next day, you're back to the falling skies.
You undermine yourself with these wild swings.
If pointing them out is being holier than thou, or intimidation, wow.
Intimidation to me is having someone point a gun in my face, not
chit chat on a message board.