Jordan Hare's Roster Status: Back Out Again

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Jordan Hare's Roster Status?

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rod, Dare was built like a brick shithouse, wasn't he? Hare? Not so much!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

of course Rod, not comparing them as players at all, obv KG is one of if not the best pure post players we have ever had. at least in my time. but his shot blocking prowess was clearly a big asset in his profile. a great shot blocker has to be a smart and fundamental player, has to know when to leave his man, where to elevate to, where to block the shots to keep them in play and hopefully lead to offense. and he also has to be long and athletic. hare has the latter and would need to gain the former, but i have yet to find a great shot blocker who was 6'7.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

As long as he didn't trash his grades during the 3 weeks (which is quite possible ... been there, done that), it would alleviate Dan's APR worries.
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Dare = 7 foot Oneykaba in build.
I wasn't a bad student in college, but if I took three weeks off,
I'd have a boatload of incompletes, for sure.
BAR, Bill Russell used to talk about shot blocking.
He said a lot of it was psychological. He also tried to block his
shot toward his own players. He never tried to block every shot, and never
left his feet early.
I loved Kenny Green and still communicate with him. Can't believe he's 42 year old.
Time flies!
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

wait, how the hell is KG 42? that would make him 17 on the 88 sweet sixteen team? he should be more like 46/47. confused!

and agreed on Russell, blocking the shot into the seats is pointless unless its purely for intimidation purposes. the real great shot blockers always directed it towards their own team and instigated offense off of the TO.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

One semester I never went to class.....I got a 3.80 cum that semester.....I'd rather be lucky than good....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

BAR, Kenny's birthday was October 14th. Maybe it was 46.
He has a gray beard now.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I guess you never took accounting then. I had the luck of having professors who automatically failed you if you missed 3 classes, no matter the reasons. Of course, if you missed the classes before the drop period ended, you were OK. If not....oops.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

The rules are different for athletes
Clapton is God
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:BAR, Kenny Green was a complete player, on both ends of the floor.
So were Parks and Brand.
Hare is far from that, at this point. That takes us back to the eternal potential vs. performance debate.
Speaking of real shot blockers, Yinka Dare has passed away.
Some of us recall the monster center for GWU, who was a scary
college player, and killed us for his time at GW.

Kenny Green was a great college player no denying that but to compare Hare to him now at this stage in his career is unfair the kid has only just completed his freshmen year . A lot of the memories you have of Green are probably from his junior and senior year when most four year college players really start to come into there own.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

gorhody89 wrote:The rules are different for athletes
To be fair, I always found professors to be very reasonable when it came to absences, and I wasn't an athlete or anyone with pull. Yeah, there are some that are complete sticklers for attending class, but it's usually not tough to make allowances if you have a life issue that makes attending tough.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I would take him back in a heartbeat. I'm sure Dan will do what is in the best interest of the team.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Check out Kenny's sophomore stats.
He blossomed under Tom Penders.
The Sweet 16 year was his junior year.
Kenny redshirted his freshman year. Malone brought him in with Evans, Garrick and Silk.
Malone could recruit.
When I first saw Kenny, he had glasses, huge knee pads,
and looked like a young Satch Sanders,
He made himself into the best true power forward in URI history.
He was very tough, mentally and physically. Didn't care who he was
playing against, he always gave 100%.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Brendan Malone, very good recruiter.

Very bad game coach. Odd combination, to say the least.

Worst game I ever saw with him as coach, was a 54-44 debacle against Manhattan at Keaney. There was booing that night, a lot of it. Even JB would have held his own against that.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

odd that he went on to have a 20+ year career in the NBA, where recruiting is a non entity. brendan had to know his x's and o's, must not have been able to motivate kids. that team ended up being pretty talented, silk, tommy, evans and kenny could all play, mergin and bonzie were great role players fun team. lost to florida state in NIT year before sweet sixteen run. "HOW DO U DO."

PS any time u can use that line on this board it should be allowed, it goes down in URI lore.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

There was a long standing joke years ago in the NBA to name the GM with an 84 inch bust. The answer was Willis Reed, referring of course to Yinka Dare, whom he drafted while GM of the Nets.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Kenny is 46 born in 67

I am also good if Hare returns if the coaching staff wants him back, his addition can only help us
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

bigappleram wrote:odd that he went on to have a 20+ year career in the NBA, where recruiting is a non entity. brendan had to know his x's and o's, must not have been able to motivate kids. that team ended up being pretty talented, silk, tommy, evans and kenny could all play, mergin and bonzie were great role players fun team. lost to florida state in NIT year before sweet sixteen run. "HOW DO U DO."

PS any time u can use that line on this board it should be allowed, it goes down in URI lore.
Brendan Malone is proof that not all Indians are cut out to be chiefs. He was a great assistant coach but a disaster as a head coach. He had a knack for alienating everyone.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Hare is too young to give up on. I hope he gets his house in order bc he has potential. I look at Herbert hill and Kadeem batts; two guys who could barely walk and chew gum when they got to PC. Hare has more ability than both. He just needs to focus on hoops.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Agreed Sean - he has natural athletic ability at 7 feet and he has shown he has a knack for shot blocking. Everyone in this board was excited to see him in a more uptempo pressure D scheme this year. I for one am still excited to see what he can do once he gets life straightened out.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Brendan Malone stunk and Hare is not coming back any time soon,per my source.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

When did Hare grow 2 inches? He's listed at 6'10" and schools never take inches away,
always the opposite.
Sean, URI isn't giving up on Hare. His leaving was his choice. How his game progresses.
and his career progresses, is entirely up to him.
Since this thread got diverted, I lost my voicemany games, screaming,
"GET OUT OF THE ZONE!!!!" at Brendan Malone. He had real athletes playing half court,
grind em out ball. and zone defense.
Penders came in and made it fun, turning everyone loose.
Malone always seemed miserable, although I'm told he was a nice guy.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I heard it could be as long as early January, before the 2nd semester, around the start of league play. How that impacts his grades, who knows. Probably a lot of I's that he'll have to make up at some point.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

More questions than answers.
So, what kind of game condition will he be in if he's gone that long?
What will be the impact on team chemistry, coming in mid season?
Sidikki Johnson come in mid season to PC, and that really didn't help
much. The team went on a roll after he left.
We had Baron and Malone come in mid season. Of course it didn't matter, because the
team was a trainwreck. Baron did fine, but Malone had a tough time of it.
Of course, Johnson, Baron and Malone were new to their respective programs,
whereas, Hare isn't.
Then, the questions of grades. Lots of catching up do do, I'd guess.
How does this impact on the APR for the program?
Anyone know a good psychic?
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

I want Hare back just to avoid another APR hit, this program can't afford any kind of postseason ban...any basketball value Hare provides is gravy as far as I'm concerned
Clapton is God
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

If he does back in January, I'd be willing to bet Hurley isnt the type of coach to just throw him back into the starting lineup right away anyway. He'll have to work his way back on to the court and into the rotation at that point I would think.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree, Adam.
Can't see Hare walking back in, and claiming big
playing time over guys who've put the sweat and effort,
and by that time, possibly established themselves in the roles
they have on the floor. The door is wide open for Oneykaba to develop
his game by playing, and Aaman, too.
It would seem Jordan would be relegated to a depth contributor, more than
a starter, or first off the bench, at least for a while.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Hare is gone. Can end the anticipation right now. Sad to say.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

bigappleram wrote:of course Rod, not comparing them as players at all, obv KG is one of if not the best pure post players we have ever had. at least in my time. but his shot blocking prowess was clearly a big asset in his profile. a great shot blocker has to be a smart and fundamental player, has to know when to leave his man, where to elevate to, where to block the shots to keep them in play and hopefully lead to offense. and he also has to be long and athletic. hare has the latter and would need to gain the former, but i have yet to find a great shot blocker who was 6'7.
Ben Wallace?
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I was trying to read through all the posts to get up to speed.

Excited there is a chance JH comes back.

Why does Rod keep comparing us to Duke? Take that Duke team over Shaq? I don't think that team would take themselves over Shaq.
College game is different and I get the success of the Dukies but who cares, Aaman isn't Laettner obviously.

JH has been given 1 year, shows good character, has a ton of eligibility and upside left.

I like the citation of JR Smith for Hurley -- easily in the top 5 of the world in unpredictable and non discipline. Hey? We would take JR any day.

As long as the kids aren't criminals and have some values, who cares how they get it done, blue collar v. major upside? I don't. JH is a sophomore at URI and we should support him. Hopefully he builds some great memories and joins the ranks of the URI alumni that are proud and enjoyed their time there.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

HK, when you say Hare is gone, we need SPECIFICS, otherwise it's still all speculation.

If/when he's no longer enrolled in school, then I'll believe it. Not until then.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Duke is my benchmark for doing things the right way.
Also, Duke beat LSU and Shaq at LSU.
If you don't think things had been measured that way around here,
you never talked to Bobby Hurley.
Also, why was this sterling character held out of games last year?
Bad attitude in practice. It's on the record.
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Bottom line is we are a better defensive team with him. We need him back and I hope he gets his personal stuff straightened out so he can come back in January.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hal Kopp wrote:Hare is gone. Can end the anticipation right now. Sad to say.
So, Hare tweets that he is looking forward to reuniting with his team. Yet, you say he is gone. So, which is it?
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I think the new rules favor Hare who plays off the ball rather than a physical player such as Aaman.
NCAAs or Bust!
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Ok let's look at Hare's situation.
He has a child.
He needs to support the kid/family in whatever way he can. Hare has a basketball scholarship, right?
If he doesn't become a professional basketball player or has trouble making a living doing it he'll need an education to fall back on.
Also, if he doesn't play basketball for a school I assume he would lose his scholarship and "possibly" the ability to pay for a college education or at the very least a very convenient way to pay for it.

It wouldn't surprise me if Hare uses the Fall semester to take care of education and family stuff and then chooses to play basketball during the 2nd semester, once he's had time to get a handle on things. I would think he would want or even need to return to the team at some point if he wants to maintain his scholarship and continue his education. It also wouldn't surprise me if this became an annual occurrence.
BUT...as we all know this is just a bunch of guessing.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Agree with The Dude. At 6'10", BB may be his shot, here or overseas. Can't even imagine what pressures he's under. I only hope it works out for him.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Hare needs to be on the team now,not the 2nd semester.
It is not a country club.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I'd rather him be here 2nd semester with less distractions than here now with issues.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Hey, my life's a mess. Why don't some of you experts come on over and help me figure this out while you're at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

bressler3south wrote:Hey, my life's a mess. Why don't some of you experts come on over and help me figure this out while you're at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
+1

JH is like 19 years old. Has a lot of stuff going on in his life at this point in time. First priority for him should be to keep his family life in line. Beyond that, if he ends up being able to help out our basketball team in the future, that would be great. But the people here pretending that they know what he should do in whatever situation he has going on at home is just asinine.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

He's actually 21, sf, but I do agree with your point. No one here knows the specifics, so it would be stupid to give him advice. Besides family, I presume the coaches, especially, Preston are in touch.
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Look, a lot of 21 year olds have circumstances at least as daunting
as Jordan Hare's. The specifics are pretty well known.
The difference is, they're not scholarship athletes, and don't have the resources of
the University at their disposal to try to help them get though.
Let's stop think about that for a bit.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Hal Kopp wrote:Hare needs to be on the team now,not the 2nd semester.
It is not a country club.
And this is college sports, not professional.

Hare has a lot of resources to use and people who are pulling for and supporting him.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

does his status impact the banner at top of Keaney blue page?? Just asking....If we/re open for nominations....I say Biruta, get both captains up there......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

The responsible thing is to stay in school. Going back to Michigan is just going to hurt himself and the team (both short and long term).
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Hal Kopp wrote:The responsible thing is to stay in school. Going back to Michigan is just going to hurt himself and the team (both short and long term).
You're a jackass. Layoff the crack pipe. K.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

So you're saying Hal Kopp is the mayor of Toronto?
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We always thought politicians were all on crack. This just confirms it.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

section(105) wrote:does his status impact the banner at top of Keaney blue page?? Just asking....If we/re open for nominations....I say Biruta, get both captains up there......

Already in the works, but we need some high res images from this Friday night.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund