David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Posting anymore than a few quotes is a definite no no. I already posted a quote from Bob Terino when I posted the link the first time
Hahaha wouldn’t expect anything less from you.

According to you, we can’t hire a coach who’s not 100% squeaky clean since birth, and can’t post an article behind a paywall when it’s been done before.

Too predictable.
I have a subscription to the Paper Edition PROJO and I get the E-Edition as well with the subscription. I do not believe that you can copy the article and paste it because of the nature of the E-Edition. I could screen copy but for obvious reasons Newspapers frown upon this - and I'm no expert but my guess is that breaks copywriting laws.

I had copied and pasted in the past and I had been cautioned that this was not allowed by I believe, Greenwell, ATP and possibly by TP as well. So maybe moderators will want to clarify the KB position on this so posters don't have to defend why they didn't copy and post an article to posters who want them to. My guess is KeaneyBlue should not allow copywriting laws to be abused because of legality issues and obviously Newspapers are struggling to survive.

And as RR2 said, $22 for two years current special for the PROJO E-Edition - get all 7 days a week. I've seen specials of $1 for 6 months. Or there is the Drug Store, Grocery Store to buy the Paper Edition and even the old, reliable local Free Public Library Newspaper/Magazine Reading Section. Lovely place to read and relax.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

You have to go waaaaay back to the 2004-05 season devastated by injury to find a Rams team as inept offensively. It's not really close, either.

David Cox's Rams are rated #237 in adjusted offensive efficiency right now. Jim Baron's 04-05 team lost its best players and rated #273.

Dan Hurley's first season was rough, but he managed a 209th rated offense. That came after Baron's terrible final season where his offense was an average #171 in D1.

You can basically throw this season's offense in the same flaming dumpster as Jerry D's seasons (271 & 253, respectively) and Jim Baron's first season mopping up that mess, 254.

Only Fordham and Duquesne are worse offensively in conference games this season.

But hey, at least Cox has a #50 rated defense and will take home a silver medal for #2 ranked team in blocking opponents' shots. Still waiting for Ramster to let us know if there will be a Golden T award for most technical fouls.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Posting anymore than a few quotes is a definite no no. I already posted a quote from Bob Terino when I posted the link the first time

According to you, we can’t hire a coach who’s not 100% squeaky clean since birth, and can’t post an article behind a paywall when it’s been done before.

Too predictable.
I have a subscription to the Paper Edition PROJO and I get the E-Edition as well with the subscription. I do not believe that you can copy the article and paste it because of the nature of the E-Edition. I could screen copy but for obvious reasons Newspapers frown upon this - and I'm no expert but my guess is that breaks copywriting laws.

I had copied and pasted in the past and I had been cautioned that this was not allowed by I believe, Greenwell, ATP and possibly by TP as well. So maybe moderators will want to clarify the KB position on this so posters don't have to defend why they didn't copy and post an article to posters who want them to. My guess is KeaneyBlue should not allow copywriting laws to be abused because of legality issues and obviously Newspapers are struggling to survive.

And as RR2 said, $22 for two years current special for the PROJO E-Edition - get all 7 days a week. I've seen specials of $1 for 6 months. Or there is the Drug Store, Grocery Store to buy the Paper Edition and even the old, reliable local Free Public Library Newspaper/Magazine Reading Section. Lovely place to read and relax.
My dad, who is a subscriber, was able to get me a link that I could read.
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Agreed, the article was needed and the godfather’s quote was probably the most damning.

I see no way URI can keep him from a PR perspective now, the stench is now seeping into non sports articles.

Never has the schools tag line been on the line more publicly…think big! Though I notice is says nothing about action…only thinking…hmmm
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Too predictable.

All of what you said is completely accurate but it also leave out one practical reason why everyone should want to click on the article instead of having it pasted here. The more clicks URI stories get the more URI stories you'll get in the long run
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man made the article!
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Blue Man made the article!
He was much more optimistic about their chances in the article.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Blue Man made the article!
He was much more optimistic about their chances in the article.
Technically true. I'm dead inside at the moment, but as I've stated before, I will buy back in for DC, get my hopes up when it really matters, and then die a real big spectacular death when we lose for good.

Also, I was really hoping they'd use my full quote - "what PC is doing is a direct result of their expectations and investments in basketball. As painful as it is to watch, I hope URI looks to their rival to the north and sees what it takes. It would be nice to not sit March out for 4 years in a row while PC continues to play...but sometimes bad things happen to good people, so here we are."

That probably wouldn't have been as much fun to write as "these poor dopes think they have a chance" lol.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I thought that was a quote from ramster re: the prospect for an A10 championship, and not BlueMan
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago You have to go waaaaay back to the 2004-05 season devastated by injury to find a Rams team as inept offensively. It's not really close, either.

David Cox's Rams are rated #237 in adjusted offensive efficiency right now. Jim Baron's 04-05 team lost its best players and rated #273.

Dan Hurley's first season was rough, but he managed a 209th rated offense. That came after Baron's terrible final season where his offense was an average #171 in D1.

You can basically throw this season's offense in the same flaming dumpster as Jerry D's seasons (271 & 253, respectively) and Jim Baron's first season mopping up that mess, 254.

Only Fordham and Duquesne are worse offensively in conference games this season.

But hey, at least Cox has a #50 rated defense and will take home a silver medal for #2 ranked team in blocking opponents' shots. Still waiting for Ramster to let us know if there will be a Golden T award for most technical fouls.

Well hopefully the coach and team are having fun maybe they'll catch lightning in a bottle and actually win a game before the season ends
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Before ramster reaches through my computer, let me say that I am likely wildly speculating here. Well, probably not too wildly, but I certainly don't have any proof.

But here goes...

Who else is thinking that this article and its author are not a coincidence?

The timing of the article, the content of the article, does it not strike you as a group of donors or even the athletic department (Thorr) using the media to get the word out about how bad things are with this Rhode Island basketball team? As rhodysurf pointed out "this is the exact press needed for a change." Maybe this is to try and soften the eventual blow of firing Cox.. float this out there to the fan base that the team's most loyal supporters/donors are unhappy.

Patinkin writing this is certainly an interesting choice. This has the effect of keeping Koch out of the fray and lets him show up at the post game pressers without having to answer for the content of the story. The sports guy didn't write it. Sure, the paper he works for did.. but it gives him sufficient distance.

Like I said... maybe I'm just a conspiracy theorist, but it certainly feels like this article and author are more than a coincidence.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I will also say the cox camp knows what they are doing. I listened to the 3 bid league podcast (which is kinda fun sometimes) and they were saying they don’t think URI will fire Cox because he has the most wins of any URI coach in this amount of time. Direct from that bullshit tweet the man account put out lol
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI is a PC institution. The blow-back from firing a well-liked minority coach could be severe. Patinkin's article is testing the reception that this change would receive. Clearly, the article was arranged.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago Before ramster reaches through my computer, let me say that I am likely wildly speculating here. Well, probably not too wildly, but I certainly don't have any proof.

But here goes...

The timing of the article, the content of the article, does it not strike you as a group of donors or even the athletic department (Thorr) using the media to get the word out about how bad things are with this Rhode Island basketball team? As rhodysurf pointed out "this is the exact press needed for a change." Maybe this is to try and soften the eventual blow of firing Cox.. float this out there to the fan base that the team's most loyal supporters/donors are unhappy.

Patinkin writing this is certainly an interesting choice. This has the effect of keeping Koch out of the fray and lets him show up at the post game pressers without having to answer for the content of the story. The sports guy didn't write it. Sure, the paper he works for did.. but it gives him sufficient distance.

Like I said... maybe I'm just a conspiracy theorist, but it certainly feels like this article and author are more than a coincidence.
I think it's just the final cap. The fan base is about 1,000 people in the arena.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago URI is a PC institution. The blow-back from firing a well-liked minority coach could be severe. Patinkin's article is testing the reception that this change would receive. Clearly, the article was arranged.
This is all I needed. If '72 agrees with me it must be true!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

re: Posting articles, typical online etiquette is to excerpt and to link back to the original source. Even if they're posting all of it online for "free," pretty much all websites have ads on articles now. It's considered poor taste to just take all the text and to post it here, although it typically isn't illegal.

When it comes to paywalls, we don't want that text copy-pasted here because some companies are quite litigious about that. ESPN.com, in particular, but other sites like The Athletic as well. Summaries are typically OK.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago URI is a PC institution. The blow-back from firing a well-liked minority coach could be severe. Patinkin's article is testing the reception that this change would receive. Clearly, the article was arranged.
How lucky are we to have someone involved with the program like 72? A free throw shooting expert with experience hiring people at the highest level. Is there anything he can't do??
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago
How lucky are we to have someone involved with the program like 72? A free throw shooting expert with experience hiring people at the highest level. Is there anything he can't do??
He should be our next coach. He'd blow Frank Keaney's numbers to pieces.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

…but what if Thorr hire another well liked minority coach? Would it then be ok that we fired Cox?

Gimme a goddamn break.

The best and most qualified should get hired, which was Cox 4 years ago.

He has fallen flat on his face, and the best/most qualified candidate will then get hired next.
Go Rhody
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
Tolerate people with white eyeballs.
NCAAs or Bust!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 2 years ago New to the message board but it's great to see so many people talking Rhody Hoops. I've read a chunk of this thread and one thing I have not noticed anyone talking about the lack of development from any player during the Cox era. Fatts Russel regressed. Jeff Dowtin was moved off ball and regressed. Leggett showed promise last year but is playing worse this year. The twins decision making process has never improved. Our shooting numbers get worse year after year. Malik Martin is a worse player than he was at Charlotte. Hurley was not the best in game coach either but you saw individual players get better and capitalize on opportunities, if David Cox isn't going to grab top of the conference recruiting classes(which he isn't) there's really no point to him being here.
I had this exact conversation with someone about a week ago. I said there's been nothing but regression. I don't see any player development. I haven't played in an actual basketball game since I was in high school, but some of the things I see on the court absolutely baffle me. My basketball IQ isn't as high as a lot of other people here, but what I see is complete deterioration YoY since Cox became HC. First few years I gave a pass, but this is beyond any amount of hope.

It's like - you learn something, you understand it, you absorb it, you grow and develop with new concepts and skills. I don't see anything remotely close.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….may I add…..adaptation to the environment……..changing ways when desired results are repeating failures…… doing the same expecting different results…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

If they part ways with Cox (PLEASE), first question to potential replacements should be do you plan on recruiting a couple of guys that can shoot......
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

The administrators have been blocking me cas they say I have been personally attacking coach

to my buddy rodincranston which I have personally met and adored - can you imagine this going on when you were still with us - may you RIP

I say the results speak for themselves

Great 1st half of basketball by our esteem coach !
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago Before ramster reaches through my computer, let me say that I am likely wildly speculating here. Well, probably not too wildly, but I certainly don't have any proof.

But here goes...

Conspiracy theories tend to become reality sometimes.

This sounds completely accurate to me. I've read Patinkin for years, when I was a kid and we got the paper Lifebeat was my favorite section. He's always been an on-point writer, and besides Bill, he's the only one at the Providence Pamphlet worth reading.

Completely agree with this approach to keep Koch out of the fray, McNamara writing the article would ruffle way too many feathers and wouldn't be a good look. From what I've been told, donors are not happy with what's going on. The program has nearly lost its pulse.

Post game pressers already are and completely will be repetative.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago If they part ways with Cox (PLEASE), first question to potential replacements should be do you plan on recruiting a couple of guys that can shoot......

Shoot threes, shoot free throws. I've seen 6-year-olds shoot better.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

After another emBARONsing loss - I dedicate this song to our esteem coach

Puttin' in that overtime and comin' up with nothin'
Sure as hell ain't for lack of tryin'
There's no use wastin' time in fightin' for somethin'
When you see that white flag a flyin'
Can you hear that whistle blow?
There's all day thinkin' time an'
All night drinkin' time an'
Time to sing or time to find if
Rhyme has a reason
Time to pack it in and stay down
Pack it up and walk away now
And give it one more day or call it a season
I can tell by the tears not in your eyes
It's quittin' time
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Can we fire the whole team???? Is there anything to like about any of this..💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Time to cut the cord end of season we need a coaching change baby !!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

At least he took a time out to stem a Bonnie’s run. Baby steps…that took almost 4 years to learn.
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

But here goes...

No conspiracy here. Idea from management to look at the current stark contrast. Mark is excellent with this sort of thing in terms of relating to folks and relaying their thoughts -- it was his all the way.

I generally save any opinions for a season postmortem. I offered this at the end of 2020-21: https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 590953001/

There will be another forthcoming at the end of this 2021-22 season. We're not there yet.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Can’t help but ask, where would we be if cox was let go a month ago?
:lol:
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

FAHR COCKS!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

But here goes...

I don't disagree with this. There was certainly nothing in the piece that us diehards didn't know already. And if Koch wrote it, it would likely have been just us diehards that would have read it. With Patinkin writing it, it's definitely trying to appeal to a wider audience...
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Everything is coming together to make Thorr's decision easy. In fact, he has probably already made up his mind and is just waiting for the season to play out and conclude. There is just no way that the constant player turnover, rapidly declining state of the program, and successive epic season ending collapses merit an extension. There is also no way you can hang onto a coach with just one year left. There is no other feasible option than to accept that David Cox has failed to meet expectations and it is time to promptly move on.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Can anyone give me a single reason why Thorr is waiting until the end of the season?
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The players appear to be good citizens off the court. Do the players want Cox to stay? These are factors to consider when terminating a coach mid-contract. Fans are very results oriented. This is not all that matters to administrators.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Can anyone give me a single reason why Thorr is waiting until the end of the season?
Only thoughts would be it sets a bad precedent for future coaches if they struggle in a season or the donors haven’t given the money yet.
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Can anyone give me a single reason why Thorr is waiting until the end of the season?
Unless it is a big time school or something happens to a coach that is ethically wrong usually you see the change made after the season is over. We are toast anyway so they are probably starting the process behind closed doors. It won’t happen until after they lose in A-10 tourney.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago The players appear to be good citizens off the court. Do the players want Cox to stay? These are factors to consider when terminating a coach mid-contract. Fans are very results oriented. This is not all that matters to administrators.
Actually, Cox will be 80% of the way finished with his contact after the season, so it’s not mid contract.

And you don’t think ADs are results orientated? You Think because the team doesn’t get in legal trouble off the court, he should keep Cox?

Why don’t you ever respond to people who call you out on your complete bullshit?

You provide less to this board than our guards provided in last nights game.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
Unless it is a big time school or something happens to a coach that is ethically wrong usually you see the change made after the season is over. We are toast anyway so they are probably starting the process behind closed doors. It won’t happen until after they lose in A-10 tourney.
We all want this hell over, I get it. I’ve never wanted a season to end as much as this.

I am hopefully optimistic that Monday after the A10s we have an announcement. Let’s hope that Thor has assembled a short list of possibilities.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Bill Koch wrote: 2 years ago

But here goes...

No conspiracy here. Idea from management to look at the current stark contrast. Mark is excellent with this sort of thing in terms of relating to folks and relaying their thoughts -- it was his all the way.

I generally save any opinions for a season postmortem. I offered this at the end of 2020-21: https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 590953001/

There will be another forthcoming at the end of this 2021-22 season. We're not there yet.
You nailed it with this one paragraph, Bill. Great job as usual.

Any momentum built by back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances in 2017 and 2018 has been squandered. The Rams finished with a sub-.500 record both overall and in Atlantic 10 play for the first time since the 2013-14 campaign. Hurley was two seasons into a rebuild at that point — Cox inherited a far superior product.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Bill Koch wrote: 2 years ago

But here goes...

You nailed it with this one paragraph, Bill. Great job as usual.

Any momentum built by back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances in 2017 and 2018 has been squandered. The Rams finished with a sub-.500 record both overall and in Atlantic 10 play for the first time since the 2013-14 campaign. Hurley was two seasons into a rebuild at that point — Cox inherited a far superior product.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago The players appear to be good citizens off the court. Do the players want Cox to stay? These are factors to consider when terminating a coach mid-contract. Fans are very results oriented. This is not all that matters to administrators.
You're the reason IGNORE function was invented. Which I'm finally going to use on your useless trolling @ss.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

………getting all the admin ducks in a row, money, exit plan, search plan, President on board……that kinda stuff……..no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

I hate to answer a question with a question, but what tangible benefits would URI reap by making a move now? Other than making some of us here happy?
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
………getting all the admin ducks in a row, money, exit plan, search plan, President on board……that kinda stuff……..no?
Add in that firing him now doesn't bring much benefit. This season is lost and nothing will make that different. We are down to just a handful of games which might number just four. Let things play out and then immediately take action. Cox could then never claim he wasn't given the full chance to turn the season around. He also would not be able to accuse Thorr of treating him differently than Jim Baron ten years ago. Bjorn allowed Baron to finish the year before he was fired. Do not give Cox any outside reasons to complain about his termination or its timing. Let the poor performance of the program under his watch be the only talking point.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Thorr may have already told Cox that he's done. Would at least somewhat explain the lethargy we are witnessing all around.
Mobley was fouled.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
I hate to answer a question with a question, but what tangible benefits would URI reap by making a move now? Other than making some of us here happy?
I think you could make an argument that Cox is hindering Thomas' development, so maybe having Bozeman handle things the rest of the way could be beneficial there. Not really a huge thing, but something to think about
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Cox being fired is probably already a forgone conclusion. The only question now is the timing of it. I looked back at 2012 to see when Jim Baron was let go. It appears that Thorr confirmed his departure on Sunday, March 4th. This was the day after the URI season ended. Rhody had failed to qualify for the 2012 A-10 Tournament which was to begin at campus sites on Tuesday, March 6th. Its last game was therefore the regular season finale.

Conferences generally do not like other news to upstage their tournaments. That is sometimes why many terminations wait until after the league champion has been crowned. I myself could care less about the feelings and wishes of the A-10 and say screw any courtesies. The league has typically not been very sensitive and accommodating to URI. I therefore would like the decision to be immediately made within 24 hours of the last game played by our Rams. Waiting does nothing to help URI.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.