Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Wrote a comment to the new Gov asking him to reconsider opening the state on May 28 and move it to May 21. URI Graduation. You know, so people can see their kids graduate in person. What's one week? We can have folk and jazz festivals but we can't have graduations?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Wrote a comment to the new Gov asking him to reconsider opening the state on May 28 and move it to May 21. URI Graduation. You know, so people can see their kids graduate in person. What's one week? We can have folk and jazz festivals but we can't have graduations?
First covid related post I’ve agreed on with you. That makes too much sense.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Wrote a comment to the new Gov asking him to reconsider opening the state on May 28 and move it to May 21. URI Graduation. You know, so people can see their kids graduate in person. What's one week? We can have folk and jazz festivals but we can't have graduations?
My daughter is graduating so I have some skin in the game.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Same here. Not excited at all about watching this at home on my computer.
I’d almost guarantee that the administration’s response will be that there’s not enough time to pull this off.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago

I’d almost guarantee that the administration’s response will be that there’s not enough time to pull this off.
Wondering if the bumbling cdc edict of no masks in public (who actually wore a mask outside?) will alter graduation ceremony?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Wondering if the bumbling cdc edict of no masks in public (who actually wore a mask outside?) will alter graduation ceremony?
Today was the first day in a long time that I saw no masks when walking on the bike path today.
Of course, I only saw about 6 people today, but usually, about 1 in 3 is wearing a mask.
What I love are the guys biking, by themselves, flying like nitwits, wearing masks.
Since I'm such an encourager, I always give 'em a "Go Lance! Go!" shoutout.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

BlueRam, did you receive an email from the school that each graduate can now have two invited guests at the ceremony? I just received one. No vaccine card requirement, but masks have to be worn. I’ll take it. Beggars can’t be choosers. As of an hour ago, my only option was watching it on my computer.
No details about getting tickets yet, from what I saw.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

BlueRam, did you receive an email from the school that each graduate can now have two invited guests at the ceremony? I just received one. No vaccine card requirement, but masks have to be worn. I’ll take it. Beggars can’t be choosers. As of an hour ago, my only option was watching it on my computer.
No details about getting tickets yet, from what I saw.
I just received the email. GREAT NEWS!!!!!!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Just saw them tweet about it to. Glad you guys will be able to see your daughters graduate!
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Congrats you guys!!!! It will be a great day.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Takes away a bit of the sting of not going to games and watching her perform with her fellow Ramettes this final year.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......so, now the Pubs in the RC will be open again.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago .......so, now the Pubs in the RC will be open again.......
Won't be happy unless my youngest daughter can see her sister graduate from URI next weekend.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

COVID-19 vaccine requirement for URI students for fall 2021
https://web.uri.edu/coronavirus/2021/05 ... fall-2021/
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago COVID-19 vaccine requirement for URI students for fall 2021
I'm sure that won't get anyone here all fired up!

/s/

I for one am all for requiring the covid vaccine to get back to campus. There are multiple vaccines already required to go to school anyways.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago COVID-19 vaccine requirement for URI students for fall 2021
I'm sure that won't get anyone here all fired up!

/s/

I for one am all for requiring the covid vaccine to get back to campus. There are multiple vaccines already required to go to school anyways.
Are you for everyone on campus that's vaxxed not wearing a mask?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

All signs are looking good about vaccinated people, but I'm waiting to see if and when the vaccine protection starts to wane over time.

With the more contagious variants around, I think it's just a matter of time before we all have to get booster shots, probably sometime next winter.

Fortunately the new vaccines should protect against the variants, but it will be another massive slog vaccinating everyone again. About 75 million people get the flu shot every winter, but getting 200 million plus another round of shots will take several months just like the first time around.

Maybe in a couple of years this entire mess will be behind us for good....of course trying to vaccinate the world [see India and Brazil] good luck with that.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Many of us, including me, can be quick to point out when we feel something is wrong.
I attended two of today’s ceremonies and I have to say that the school did a great job. I’m sure it was extra work because having guests attend was announced on short notice, but I was so happy to see my daughter graduate in person. I could tell everyone felt the same way because everyone’s attitude was positive. It had to be great for the graduates, too, to hear loved ones cheering and yelling from the bleachers as they walked across the stage.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Pfizer said a booster is probably needed in 12 months. But yea, its obviously working which is great news.
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

This is something his idol, arrogant Haystack Calhoun, would have done.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

A lot of he said/he said in there. Seems like very specific allegations against Hurley. On the other hand, Alosi is a world-class scumbag...
Last edited by RhodyKyle 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hard to trust a guy like Alosi with his reputation.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That was always a puzzling hire by Dan given his baggage and this lawsuit seems very on brand for him.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago That was always a puzzling hire by Dan given his baggage and this lawsuit seems very on brand for him.
Dan hired him knowing his background. Seedy Dan.
NCAAs or Bust!
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

You mean St. Dan may not really be St. Dan.. Don't get me wrong. I wish he never left, but I don't doubt he is perfectly capable of trying to manipulate the rules.. He is desperate to win..
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago You mean St. Dan may not really be St. Dan.. Don't get me wrong. I wish he never left, but I don't doubt he is perfectly capable of trying to manipulate the rules.. He is desperate to win..
If I had to guess, I would guess DH wouldn't have folks breaking the rules. I DO, wholeheartedly, agree that he is desperate to win...and I miss that.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Covid stood in the way of getting done what Dan thought was needed to improve his basketball team. Don't break the rules yourself; hire someone you can pressure into doing it for you. This is not new in college athletics - then throw them under the bus if they get caught. I guess 600K American deaths is not enough to make some coaches reassess this practice.
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Covid stood in the way of getting done what Dan thought was needed to improve his basketball team. Don't break the rules yourself; hire someone you can pressure into doing it for you. This is not new in college athletics - then throw them under the bus if they get caught. I guess 600K American deaths is not enough to make some coaches reassess this practice.
I don't doubt that happens a lot. I give DH the benefit of the doubt here though, but would guess we never really find out (undisclosed settlement?)
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That is NOT the reason that dumbass’s contract wasn’t renewed. Alosi himself thinks that COVID is a hoax and that mandates are the government’s plan to control its citizens. He’s a big hashtag1776 sheeple kind of guy, and he’s been really racist and anti-Semitic (publicly on social media). It was a poor hire when it was made. Alosi knows he’s pretty much unemployable in the sports world right now. Just stupid all around. Dan is a complete germaphobe and was not playing around with COVID stuff at all. He always used gloves and stuff like that in practices, even before COVID was a thing. Dan likes to give people second chances and opportunities to redeem themselves and all that, but Alosi is not and was not deserving. Diddy should have thrown the kettlebell harder.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Colleges better be careful requiring vaccines for students:

Since April 2021, there have been more than a thousand reports to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) of cases of inflammation of the heart—called myocarditis and pericarditis—happening after mRNA COVID-19 vaccination (i.e., Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna) in the United States.
These reports are rare, given the hundreds of millions of vaccine doses administered, and have been reported after mRNA COVID-19 vaccination, particularly in adolescents and young adults. View the latest information.
CDC and its partners are actively monitoring these reports, by reviewing data and medical records, to learn more about what happened and to understand any relationship to COVID-19 vaccination.
Most patients who received care responded well to treatment and rest and quickly felt better.
Confirmed cases have occurred:
Mostly in male adolescents and young adults age 16 years or older
More often after getting the second dose than after the first dose of one of these two mRNA COVID-19 vaccines
Typically within several days after COVID-19 vaccination
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Colleges better be careful requiring vaccines for students:

Since April 2021, there have been more than a thousand reports to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) of cases of inflammation of the heart—called myocarditis and pericarditis—happening after mRNA COVID-19 vaccination (i.e., Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna) in the United States.
These reports are rare, given the hundreds of millions of vaccine doses administered, and have been reported after mRNA COVID-19 vaccination, particularly in adolescents and young adults. View the latest information.
CDC and its partners are actively monitoring these reports, by reviewing data and medical records, to learn more about what happened and to understand any relationship to COVID-19 vaccination.
Most patients who received care responded well to treatment and rest and quickly felt better.
More often after getting the second dose than after the first dose of one of these two mRNA COVID-19 vaccines

There’s also a chance of getting myocarditis if you get covid, so your argument holds no weight.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Colleges better be careful requiring vaccines for students:

There’s also a chance of getting myocarditis if you get covid, so your argument holds no weight.
A very small percentage of people.

Kinda like the very small percentage of young healthy people having adverse affects after getting Covid in the first place…
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

For argument's sake, let's round up the more than a thousand to 1,500 and use the 321M vaccines administered #:
1,500 / 321,000,000 = 0.0000047 = 0.00047% = 1 incidence per 212,766 vaccinations.

Not all states really kept track of hospitalizations which is closer to apples to apples with the myocarditis , but even deaths are a magnitude greater than this risk:
603,000 deaths / 33,600,000 cases = 0.018 = 1.8% = 1 death per 56 cases.

Unfortunately there has not been an exhaustive study about myocarditis related to Covid itself, but we know of Eduardo Rodriguez pitcher on the Red Sox, who suffered from this. And there are anecdotes such as Jayson Tatum who felt exhausted playing ball long after Covid, which could have been due to heart performance. Vaccinations have the benefit of comprehensive studies and risk assessment, while dealing with the virus itself has more been a triage operation and those who have myocarditis are not a priority above the hundreds of thousands of deaths or hospitalizations. There very well may be more Covid-related undiagnosed myocarditis cases than vaccine cases, it's just that those whose livelihood doesn't depend on athletics or activity will not seek out a diagnosis.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
Yesss!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

A very small percentage of people.

Kinda like the very small percentage of young healthy people having adverse affects after getting Covid in the first place…
Correct, just like there's a very small percentage you get myocarditis after receiving the vaccine...
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yes, you already established this point. The article also says how the benefits of the vaccine far outweighs the risks.

There is also risk of getting myocarditis by getting covid.
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Why is RIC and CCRI mandating students be vaccinated but not staff and teachers? Makes no sense at all.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Why is RIC and CCRI mandating students be vaccinated but not staff and teachers? Makes no sense at all.
Doesn't make sense, but...one group has a union and one doesn't?
("Sense" and "unions" seem to be at odds sometimes...especially that union)
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Looks like Rhody is requiring masking. Will there be a requirement for everyone to wear masks at games? If that's the deal...roll my tix over again, please...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Didn’t renew my seats- held off to get a better idea of COVID situation and schedule. Figured there will be plenty of tix avail at minimal cost for all games. I’m a teacher and assume I’ll be in a mask all day. There’s no way I’m sitting 2 hours in the RC watching Rhody/Bryant etc.. with a mask on.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Looks like Rhody is requiring masking. Will there be a requirement for everyone to wear masks at games? If that's the deal...roll my tix over again, please...
If there are allowing full attendance, I highly doubt they allow people to roll tickets over again to next season.

Full capacity means either buy the tickets and attend, or decline the tickets and lose them.
Go Rhody
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I was glad to read in the Projo article that 94% of the student body has provided proof of full vaccination.

I’m hopeful that by The start of the season the latest science will allow fully vaccinated people to attend basketball without a mask because I sure don’t want to wear one.

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Looks like Rhody is requiring masking. Will there be a requirement for everyone to wear masks at games? If that's the deal...roll my tix over again, please...
Masks required to enter athletic facilities today. And there are not many people using facilities being summer.

2FBB9DCF-12A3-48FC-8D04-F7E20723597C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.