Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Re: Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

JT didn't have his best shooting night tonight.
Only 2-10 and missed a potential game tying three at the end.
Still looked like he belonged though.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

4Diffs wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:EC is DNP tonight for the hated Grizzlies. Before tonight’s game Memphis was last in ppg at 64.5. They can’t score and they won’t give their bench players a chance.
I agree. It is kind of an unwrritten rule that most players do get a chance to play in summer league. Most teams do this but clearly the Grizzlies do not. Is he the only one not playing or are there others not getting any run as well?
Is it an unwritten rule? Looking at last night's box scores I counted 66 DNP's out of the 8 games. That's about 4 per team. You guys are making it sound like EC is literally the only guy not playing in games.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I think were seeing more DNP's this year because every NBA team is fielding a summer league team for the first time. Some of these back of the roster summer league guys just aren't good enough.

That said, these teams should still do the agent and player a solid and get all these players a decent amount of playing time. EC playing 1 game for 5 minutes just isn't good enough.

Memphis is a poorly run organization, how Chris Wallace is still a GM in the NBA is baffling. Kobi Simmons and Jevon Carter are both trash so EC should be getting more run.

http://www.nba.com/summerleague/2018/stats
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It's the NBA, nobody is doing anybody any favors at that level.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RIFan wrote:Hassan Article in Herald

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celt ... tin_s_game
This is great, thanks for posting.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

adam914 wrote:
RIFan wrote:Hassan Article in Herald

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celt ... tin_s_game
This is great, thanks for posting.
Has was my favorite player since he was a freshman. This just cements it. He comes from a great family, had great college coaching and has great character. I’ll be a fan of any team that gives him a contract.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

josephski wrote:
4Diffs wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:EC is DNP tonight for the hated Grizzlies. Before tonight’s game Memphis was last in ppg at 64.5. They can’t score and they won’t give their bench players a chance.
I agree. It is kind of an unwrritten rule that most players do get a chance to play in summer league. Most teams do this but clearly the Grizzlies do not. Is he the only one not playing or are there others not getting any run as well?
Is it an unwritten rule? Looking at last night's box scores I counted 66 DNP's out of the 8 games. That's about 4 per team. You guys are making it sound like EC is literally the only guy not playing in games.
I never made a comment that would insinuate EC is the only guy not playing. I posted that Memphis had 4 DNPs and that Larrier from UCONN was one of them.

I don’t know if the summer league teams have had 16-17 player rosters before. It looks like to me the bottom 4-5 guys on each team are practice players and protection if a team has a lot of injuries.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody4Life
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody4Life »

Did anyone else watch the game highlights from the video of the Celtics summer league game in the Hassan article? Right at the end of the video, I'm fairly certain Miles Bridges shakes the hand of a familiar face to everyone here. It's very quick though, so I can't be certain. Is that not Dawan?
RamZone72
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamZone72 »

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/ ... 0712lpaqcw

Former manager Cory Macchioni has joined the women’s staff as the Coordinator of Basketball Operations. Worked under Baron at both URI and Canisius. Coming from RIC.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Just talked to Seth Greenberg. He was announcing the NBA Summer League for ESPN. He is at Adidas Gauntlet now. We talked about Hass. He said Hass did great and should end up in a good league overseas. He said he isn’t tall enough to play in the NBA.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote:Just talked to Seth Greenberg. He was announcing the NBA Summer League for ESPN. He is at Adidas Gauntlet now. We talked about Hass. He said Hass did great and should end up in a good league overseas. He said he isn’t tall enough to play in the NBA.
Probably said the same thing about Spud Webb. Hass played 18 minutes today and had 8 points and 6 rebounds, a steal and a block. He is going to get signed.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Hass is in the top 5 in scoring for the Celtics Summer League team and Jared is in the top 6 for the Timberwolves. Not awesome, but not bad either. They are holding their own. They'll probably end up overseas, but next year I could see both of them getting a chance on a team.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The Dude wrote:Hass is in the top 5 in scoring for the Celtics Summer League team and Jared is in the top 6 for the Timberwolves. Not awesome, but not bad either. They are holding their own. They'll probably end up overseas, but next year I could see both of them getting a chance on a team.
Terrell has already signed a two-way contract with the Timberwolves, so he'll be in the G League for sure and hopefully getting a couple chances to show what he can do with the T-Wolves at some point.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The Dude wrote:Hass is in the top 5 in scoring for the Celtics Summer League team and Jared is in the top 6 for the Timberwolves. Not awesome, but not bad either. They are holding their own. They'll probably end up overseas, but next year I could see both of them getting a chance on a team.
Hassan is 5th in points per game, 2nd in rebounds per game, tied for 3rd in block per game, tied for 5th in steals per game, and 1st on the team in field goal percentage while only being 7th on the team in minutes per game. He's been tremendously productive considering his playing time, and you could make the case that he's been the Celtics most productive player on a per minute basis, which is pretty awesome to me.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Ramettes
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Ramettes »

Dave Cowens and Charles Barkley we’re undersized and they had pretty good careers.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhody83 wrote:Just talked to Seth Greenberg. He was announcing the NBA Summer League for ESPN. He is at Adidas Gauntlet now. We talked about Hass. He said Hass did great and should end up in a good league overseas. He said he isn’t tall enough to play in the NBA.
not tall enough? not like he's Mugsy Bogues out there.

He easily has the size for the NBA. his wingspan, leaping ability and brute strength make up an inch or two.

someone should let Greenberg know that Kawhi Leonard is too short to play in the NBA...afterall he is only 6'7.

just for fun (not accounting at all for ability and talent level)

Hass:
6'7
235lb
7'2 wingspan
38" vertical

Kawhi:
6'7
229lb
7'3 wingspan
33" vertical
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think the point is, if you're 6'7" in today's NBA, you better be able to step out and shoot it.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Billyboy78 wrote:I think the point is, if you're 6'7" in today's NBA, you better be able to step out and shoot it.
Exactly. Comparing Hassan's height to Kawhi is the same as comparing his height to Steph Curry, completely irrelevant because they have different skill sets. Unless Hassan can prove he can play out on the perimeter similar to guy's like Kawhi and Draymond Green he's going to be continually viewed as an undersized center.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Billyboy78 wrote:I think the point is, if you're 6'7" in today's NBA, you better be able to step out and shoot it.
more important is being able to go out and defend on the perimeter as a forward.

just because the league in general favors a "chuck a bunch of 3s" offense, doesnt mean every player has to do it.

There is still a role out there for athletic bruisers
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

He can maybe be like a Jordan Bell type guy.

He really held his own and bullied guys. It's possible he can make it. I think he also lacks some quickness.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If he gets a really good offer overseas that may be too good for him to pass up
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

In the article link someone posted, Hass ends the interview by saying who knows what type of food I will have to get use to next.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

^ Love that. Hoping for the best for the guy. Regardless of what happens after...seems like Hass is making himself some $$ this summer.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Jared absolutely looks like he belongs out there. Some sick break away dunks and his shot is looking great.
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

This caption is fantastic
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I went to the game today and saw Hass in person

He had a couple of really nice blocks
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

DiSano says Hass May be offered 2 way contracts by a couple of teams.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Sorry Chris retweeted this:

Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That’s awesome for him if that’s true and that’s what he wants to do. If it’s me, I’d probably rather play in Barcelona or Turin or something than Des Moines or Reno, but I totally get why he’d want to go for it. If he does get a 2-way deal, he should definitely take that.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

Really pulling for a Celtics win today. I will be in vegas all week starting tomorrow. My Hassan Rhody Jersey is packed and ready to go if they can advance this afternoon.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:That’s awesome for him if that’s true and that’s what he wants to do. If it’s me, I’d probably rather play in Barcelona or Turin or something than Des Moines or Reno, but I totally get why he’d want to go for it. If he does get a 2-way deal, he should definitely take that.
Agree, but only because of the economics. Obviously the economics are not the same, but if they were, pretty sure I'd choose the US option.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:That’s awesome for him if that’s true and that’s what he wants to do. If it’s me, I’d probably rather play in Barcelona or Turin or something than Des Moines or Reno, but I totally get why he’d want to go for it. If he does get a 2-way deal, he should definitely take that.
Agree, but only because of the economics. Obviously the economics are not the same, but if they were, pretty sure I'd choose the US option.
Last year 50 of the 60 two-way players had at least one call up and they averaged $225,000 for the season.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Last year 50 of the 60 two-way players had at least one call up and they averaged $225,000 for the season.
Right, so, would opt for US in that case. But if you play G League, without a 2-way, like 80% of the players do...isn't it like $35K?

2 way > Overseas > G league only....
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ESPN2...8pm.... Celtics - Blazers. Summer League. Watch or not....just to have that as an option...what a country. Summer League....
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:ESPN2...8pm.... Celtics - Blazers. Summer League. Watch or not....just to have that as an option...what a country. Summer League....
Definitely going to watch. Hass has been getting it going. Really fun to watch him.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Hass with 12 and 6 thru 3...with a BLK and AST. Good work.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Hass finished with 16 points and 9 rebounds in 31 minutes. Didn’t start but ends up with the most minutes for the Cs.
Celtics lost so their summer league season is over.
Hass is one of the biggest benefactors of the summer league. He earned it from short minutes in their first game.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I hope Hass gets a shot with the Cs - Stevens will give him a shot to play at some point this year. Otherwise the spurs would be a good landing spot.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Hass is legit. Its not NBA 100% competition but its good enough to prove he has what it takes to get that 2-way.
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Per a Boston Herald notebook column, and a couple of the news broadcasts tonight - The Celtics cut one of their two-way players today. It's not concrete that they did this with an eye on Martin, but it certainly doesn't hurt his chances of landing with them. At the very least, he'll have a robust slew of offers when it comes to the G-League, two-way NBA contracts, better professional leagues, etc.

re: Martin's NBA potential, I think he would be hard-pressed to be like a starter or significant, 20+ MPG bench guy. As others have mentioned, he'd have to significantly improve his outside shooting, or be able to defend 3s regularly. But when it comes to guys 10-15 on a roster, it really depends more on what you can do in practice, a coach and organization's personal preference, the guys with guaranteed contracts, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if Martin could get on a roster at some point as a result.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on Celts give the URI guy a 2 way deal !!!!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Anothet URI alum making a name for himself in the NBA - this time for the Celtics! Go Hass!!

Hass finishes summer league with 16 points and 9 rebounds.

“Hassan Martin consistently competed, and even though he was undersized was able to finish, even (last night) against some really big bodies in Portland,” said summer league coach Jim Larranaga. “He was somebody I didn’t know coming in, but I was really impressed with how he competed.”

And he sure looks good in green!

Hassan Martin sure looks good in green!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

https://www.silive.com/expo/sports/erry ... ook-a.html

Hass is getting it done out there. If he can get a two way contract who knows how much better he could get with someone like Brad Stevens coaching him.
Get him a consistent midrange jumper, work on driving to the basket and guarding the perimeter.

20-22 from the foul line!

How about that Rambone!

His 90 percent shooting from the foul line was somehow third on the team...
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

PeterRamTime wrote:20-22 from the foul line!
I was just about to comment on this. That is what I was most impressed with watching his games. He looked so good from the FT line. His freshman year he shot 53.5% from the line & improved each year before finishing his senior year at 65.8% Obviously the summer league is a small sample size, but his stroke looked pure from the line.
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Won't be any Hack-A-Hass!
GO RAMS