David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: David Cox

Unread post by Jersey77 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Cox has gone the route of trying to build a program roster through transfers. The jury is still very much out on whether this will work at a place like URI. I however think transfers are most certainly not the method to build, enlarge, and excite a fan base. Fans will never have an emotional connection to a revolving door of players. There needs to be some player continuity for fan attachments. This route will only further diminish fan engagement.
I get your point, and there is some merit to it, but not sure I completely agree. I felt a pretty strong connection to Iverson and Stan as URI players, and I assume most here did. So maybe it's just more of a balance that we need?
I think fans just want a winning team regardless of whether they are recruits or transfers.
To me either works as long as they win, and I will be attached.
But yeah, you need a balance, and it will always be very important to maintain your recruiting ties.

Many young players don't have the patience to wait their turn and decide to leave.
Also, those that do succeed want the fasted path to play professionally.

It will probably just keep getting tougher to keep roster continuity.

Fans are used to it in professional sports, with all the free agency and trades.
Just give them winners.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Cox has gone the route of trying to build a program roster through transfers. The jury is still very much out on whether this will work at a place like URI. I however think transfers are most certainly not the method to build, enlarge, and excite a fan base. Fans will never have an emotional connection to a revolving door of players. There needs to be some player continuity for fan attachments. This route will only further diminish fan engagement.
I get your point, and there is some merit to it, but not sure I completely agree. I felt a pretty strong connection to Iverson and Stan as URI players, and I assume most here did. So maybe it's just more of a balance that we need?
I think fans just want a winning team regardless of whether they are recruits or transfers.
To me either works as long as they win, and I will be attached.
But yeah, you need a balance, and it will always be very important to maintain your recruiting ties.

Many young players don't have the patience to wait their turn and decide to leave.
Also, those that do succeed want the fasted path to play professionally.

It will probably just keep getting tougher to keep roster continuity.

Fans are used to it in professional sports, with all the free agency and trades.
Just give them winners.
Yeah you are definitely right about that. Winning cures all!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Cox has recruited well from the DMV area. That is good and obviously connections are a big part of recruiting. I'd like to see him get a good player from another area. Land a tough recruit. Sell himself and the school rather than just his DMV connections. I'd like to see the assistants get one too....from any area.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Cox has recruited well from the DMV area. That is good and obviously connections are a big part of recruiting. I'd like to see him get a good player from another area. Land a tough recruit. Sell himself and the school rather than just his DMV connections. I'd like to see the assistants get one too....from any area.
If only we lived in a region where there were multiple top prep schools…
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Let other teams develop. Go full bore portal.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Cox has recruited well from the DMV area. That is good and obviously connections are a big part of recruiting. I'd like to see him get a good player from another area. Land a tough recruit. Sell himself and the school rather than just his DMV connections. I'd like to see the assistants get one too....from any area.
If only we lived in a region where there were multiple top prep schools…
I sense much sarcasm in that statement.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Let other teams develop. Go full bore portal.
I disagree.. I'm all for landing transfers, but we also need to grow together and show recruits we can develop winning players. Dan did it perfectly. We had a mix of crucial guys that came in as freshmen and then added some transfers that took us to the next level. We need Cox to succeed in both areas to be a top A10 program consistently.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Let other teams develop. Go full bore portal.
I disagree.. I'm all for landing transfers, but we also need to grow together and show recruits we can develop winning players. Dan did it perfectly. We had a mix of crucial guys that came in as freshmen and then added some transfers that took us to the next level. We need Cox to succeed in both areas to be a top A10 program consistently.
Yep, agreed Stevey.
Get the players you are recruiting first.
The portal can be used as more openings become available or if you miss out on certain targets.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The portal was not in full throttle when Hurls was here like it is now. New world imo... I'm beginning to think if finish over .500 in conference = same coach next year. Get portal guys and anything can happen.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I hate the portal and always adding new players vs having the same core

College hoops isn’t the same

Call me nostalgic for the good ole days
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yup.

Texas went allll in on transfers, got an insane amount of blue chip kids, and will probably be out of the Top 25 this tomorrow.

Definitely still need to recruit hs kids.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Yup.

Texas went allll in on transfers, got an insane amount of blue chip kids, and will probably be out of the Top 25 this tomorrow.

No...no, I think I'd prefer the TX situation right now. "Dropping out of the Top 25" seems like an upgrade?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Yup.

No...no, I think I'd prefer the TX situation right now. "Dropping out of the Top 25" seems like an upgrade?

I mean of course, but we obviously wouldn’t get the same type of players.
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago I hate the portal and always adding new players vs having the same core

College hoops isn’t the same

Call me nostalgic for the good ole days
I agree with you ECR. At the same time we need to win the portal game going forward to be where we want to be. That’s why I am hopeful we continue to see gains from Jalen.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Yup.

Let’s tell Chance he’s not coming here next year, then. The kid has been bleeding Rhody Blue for a while and can’t wait to represent our program. Let’s get rid of him to land a 15 PPG scorer from the Colonial for one season…
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Yup.

Let’s tell Chance he’s not coming here next year, then. The kid has been bleeding Rhody Blue for a while and can’t wait to represent our program. Let’s get rid of him to land a 15 PPG scorer from the Colonial for one season…
You always take the better player, don't you?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The coaches will always continue recruiting the HS/Prep players that they feel will be a good fit in the program, as well they should.
If they like that kid they will do what they can to get a commitment.

Like I said, the portal will fill a need as openings may arise or they miss out on targeted recruits.

They would not risk being dependent upon the transfer market, not knowing what players would be available or even interested.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I think we are/hope we are seeing a shift from using the portal to "fill a need" vs "be a good source of players." Get guys in that are ready to play.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Look at George Washington.

They have P6 transfers from LSU, Maryland, Virgina Tech, UConn, and Nebraska.

We’d all be thrilled if we got players from those schools.

GW is terrible and 4-10.

Simple out you cannot only recruit from the portal.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago I think we are/hope we are seeing a shift from using the portal to "fill a need" vs "be a good source of players." Get guys in that are ready to play.

Yes it can be a good source, but I don't think it should be our primary focus, at least not initially.

Many times you are successful in the portal only because of the groundwork you had done previously in their recruitment or prior connections.
As was the case with the Mitchells, Walker, and Martin.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Do you think that DC can recruit high quality freshman with only one year left on his contract?
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Do you think that DC can recruit high quality freshman with only one year left on his contract?
Probably not, or transfers for that matter.
Much depends on the outcome of this season.
Which is why I think Thorr will either extend or as Ramster says "cut bait".

Chance committed here early because of his father's connection to Cox.
Obviously, if Cox is gone so will he be.

Look you don't have to be a "rocket scientist" to understand that no highly rated recruit will commit to a coach/program knowing that there is a fair chance that the staff (which they built a relationship with) will no longer be there when they arrive.

Remember it is the coach that has to sell himself to that recruit's family or inner circle, all part of the process.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….OMG……..”part of the process…….” An ole JB fav quote…..whether DC gets extended or not, I have doubts about he being able to land highly rated recruits……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

GW is terrible and 4-10.

Imagine those transfers if they had not lost the other core guys to the portal. I think GW will get it together next year. Having 5 transfers is like having 5 freshmen, rarely works out year 1.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

GW is terrible and 4-10.

Imagine those transfers if they had not lost the other core guys to the portal. I think GW will get it together next year. Having 5 transfers is like having 5 freshmen, rarely works out year 1.

James Bishop, Lindo, and Amir Harris are not in year 1 for GW..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

GW is terrible and 4-10.

James Bishop, Lindo, and Amir Harris are not in year 1 for GW..
Fine. Imagine how much better they would be with Battle still on the team. Harris, Adams and the other P6 transfers are not really high ceiling guys in my opinion either - so I would not be nearly as excited as I was about the Mitchells and Jalen.

You need continuity. That is why just hitting the transfer portal rarely works out if you grab a bunch of transfers at once.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I don't think you can compare recruiting or the college game now to anytime in the past, even to 5 years ago with Hurley. College hoops is so different now with the new transfer rule. We are playing talented players from Maryland, Syracuse and Georgetown etc...if you have those guys with three years of eligibility left, you can't exactly recruit the HS kids like you did in the good old days. Take your pick. We would have praised Al Skinner and Hurley for transfers like these, but it wasn't as common back then. And now you get the extra year of eligibly, and you sitting out a year. Game changer.
Last edited by Rhody_NYCT 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago I don't think you can compare recruiting or the college game now to anytime in the past, even to 5 years ago with Hurley. College hoops is so different now with the new transfer rule. We are playing talented players from Maryland, Syracuse and Georgetown etc...if you have those guys with three years of eligibility left, you can't exactly recruit the HS kids like you did in the good old days. Take your pick. We would have praised Al Skinner and Hurley for transfers like these, but it wasn't as common back then. And now you get the extra year of eligibly, and you sitting out a year. Game changer.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Anyone know how to delete a comment :)
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago Anyone know how to delete a comment :)
Friends don't let friends drink and post.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
The very rare quintuple-post!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
The very rare quintuple-post!
Haha! That was embarrassing.