Assistant Coach Opening in Men's Basketball

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Assistant Coach Opening in Men's Basketball

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

They advertised for Sutton's position. There are zero indications the other two assistants won't be back.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The next coach is going to cost at least 1 million a year, plus the assistant pool needs to be at least 500K.

That's if this school is serious about wanting to be competitive with the top of the league.

I doubt we are going to gamble on an unproven candidate again.

While I had previously talked about Preston as HC, that isn't going to happen, from what little I've heard to this point.

It's for the best. I really would like to see us hire JC.....if that means Cox would be hearing footsteps, so be it.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Thorr will put his money into a head coach. He won’t increase the assistant pool much at all.
Hurley use to beg for an increase in the assistant pool during his negotiations.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

They should be able to afford either Christian or Murphy, or any other reasonable candidate interested in this position.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago They advertised for Sutton's position. There are zero indications the other two assistants won't be back.
Which is extremely disappointing. I have more empathy than most, but why do you have to have a guy on staff who is really not capable of doing the job that he is supposed to be doing? This is not a charity that is being run here, Cox needs people around him that can help him do his job. And I do not think that he does.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

If Murphy is hired and we recruit his son I don't think he will need a full basketball scholarship. As the son of a URI employee he would at least get free tuition and be able to be on the team as a walk-on. Wasn't that the case with Jimmy Baron?
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago If Murphy is hired and we recruit his son I don't think he will need a full basketball scholarship. As the son of a URI employee he would at least get free tuition and be able to be on the team as a walk-on. Wasn't that the case with Jimmy Baron?
Many places have a rule requiring the employee to be at the school for a certain number of years before qualifying. I may be wrong, but I believe the Baron’s had to pay for Jimmy’s first year? (I may be totally off on that, but for some reason I recall being told that...)
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago All, I was told by a reliable source a while back that all assistants are on one-year contracts, so technically the state *has* to post the position since it's not a multi-year contract like DC has.
They're one year with an option to renew. If they're not being renewed, then I believe they have to be posted - like Sutton's job is, since Cox either fired him, or he decided to leave. Like, I don't think TJ will have his job posted up for other people to apply for, because his contract was renewed (as far as we all know).

Yea, every assistant position obviously isn’t posted each off-season.

They’re only posted if an assistant leaves or get fired.
Fake news. They're all on one-year contracts.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago If Murphy is hired and we recruit his son I don't think he will need a full basketball scholarship. As the son of a URI employee he would at least get free tuition and be able to be on the team as a walk-on. Wasn't that the case with Jimmy Baron?
Yes, but the tuition waiver is only for the $ amount of credits you are taking. It does not cover books, room & board, student services fee, health services, etc.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 3 years ago

They're one year with an option to renew. If they're not being renewed, then I believe they have to be posted - like Sutton's job is, since Cox either fired him, or he decided to leave. Like, I don't think TJ will have his job posted up for other people to apply for, because his contract was renewed (as far as we all know).

Yea, every assistant position obviously isn’t posted each off-season.

They’re only posted if an assistant leaves or get fired.
Fake news. They're all on one-year contracts.

With the option to renew.

Therefore, every assistant job is not posted for applicants each offseason. That is a fact.

Do you see TJs and Austin’s job posted? No, you don’t. That is because their contracts were renewed and the positions were not posted.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago
Many places have a rule requiring the employee to be at the school for a certain number of years before qualifying. I may be wrong, but I believe the Baron’s had to pay for Jimmy’s first year? (I may be totally off on that, but for some reason I recall being told that...)
Preston Murphy is not walking through that door. Take it to the bank.
RhodyMadness072
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RhodyMadness072 »

The Hoop Dirt King reported on Hoopdirt.com that Jim Christian is the name he’s been hearing for this position.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhodyMadness072 wrote: 3 years ago The Hoop Dirt King reported on Hoopdirt.com that Jim Christian is the name he’s been hearing for this position.
Probably saw his name here.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
RhodyMadness072 wrote: 3 years ago The Hoop Dirt King reported on Hoopdirt.com that Jim Christian is the name he’s been hearing for this position.
No. Hoopdirt linked Christian to the job back on 4-16-21, well before his name got mentioned in this thread. Look up Bos8's post which was the first reference here.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago The next coach is going to cost at least 1 million a year, plus the assistant pool needs to be at least 500K.

That's if this school is serious about wanting to be competitive with the top of the league.

I doubt we are going to gamble on an unproven candidate again.

While I had previously talked about Preston as HC, that isn't going to happen, from what little I've heard to this point.

It's for the best. I really would like to see us hire JC.....if that means Cox would be hearing footsteps, so be it.
I too would like to see Christian hired, he was always one of my top choices. Doubtful Cox would be hearing any footsteps, from him.

Another name maybe to keep an eye is Dave Leitao. He is from Ma. and played and coached at Northeastern.
He may also be on the short list along with Luke Murray at UConn, because of his relationship with Calhoun and was a previous assistant at UConn.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago
No. Hoopdirt linked Christian to the job back on 4-16-21, well before his name got mentioned in this thread. Look up Bos8's post which was the first reference here.
What's his track record on other predictions of this nature, though? Connecting the dots on Christian to URI isn't exactly tough, given his past connection to the university and the fact that we have an open job.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

What's his track record on other predictions of this nature, though? Connecting the dots on Christian to URI isn't exactly tough, given his past connection to the university and the fact that we have an open job.
Very good, particularly in New England where he previously served as a college head coach. If he is posting it, there is some sort of smoke behind it. Doesn’t mean its a guarantee at all, but he usually has his finger on the pulse of who is interviewing where etc.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Are you talking about the report that was already posted on the 16th? I'm not seeing anything new on the hoop dirt website?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would be onboard with Jimmy C hope he is interested
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

3 of the 4 worst MAC teams have hired new coaches and the fourth has a coach whose been there one year. So Christian is not going back there now.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

How about:
Roland Fiore
Aaron Thomas
Kyle Bodington

?
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Brian Forster wrote: 3 years ago How about:
Roland Fiore
Aaron Thomas
Kyle Bodington

?
oof no.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Roland Fiore
Aaron Thomas
Kyle Bodington

?
Surely you're joking.

Oops, does this make me anti URI now because I don't want Rhode Island high school coaches as the top assistant of an A10 program?
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Roland Fiore
Aaron Thomas
Kyle Bodington

?
Surely you're joking.
He is
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

I'm hearing the next Assistant Coach will have the initials JC. Of course the first choice is Jesus Christ, but if he can't get out of his contract then Jim Christian would be a solid second choice. If he turns us down then I'd like to add Karl Koussa, Sam the Ram, and Larry the Drunk from Lamda Chi to that newest list of submitted names. Think Big, We do.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Roland Fiore
Aaron Thomas
Kyle Bodington

?

This isn't even funny. Fiore?? LMFAO! :roll:
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Roland Fiore
Aaron Thomas
Kyle Bodington

?
Surely you're joking.
He is
Is he though? He's also of the belief that the reason URI football is/was failing was because they weren't recruiting in-state enough, so, I don't really know if he's joking or serious. Ole Hal has had his share of wacky ideas.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I think we should add Gregg Popovich to the list and if he turns it down (why would he???) we should go after Erik Spoelstra (/s in case it wasn't obvious)
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 3 years ago I'm hearing the next Assistant Coach will have the initials JC. Of course the first choice is Jesus Christ, but if he can't get out of his contract then Jim Christian would be a solid second choice. If he turns us down then I'd like to add Karl Koussa, Sam the Ram, and Larry the Drunk from Lamda Chi to that newest list of submitted names. Think Big, We do.
John Calipari?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
RAMFAN wrote: 3 years ago according to the posting for the position, the closing date is today. maybe we'll start hearing about some of the names soon.
Expect an announcement just after May 1st.
Any rumors out there?
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I just find it very interesting that is was announced about Freeman stepping down from the UConn basketball program on 4/16 and almost immediately rumors were circulating about Luke Murray filling that position, which was confirmed yesterday. They already have 2 high profile assistants Young and Moore on staff and now they have 3 well compensated assistants.

On the other hand it was announced on 4/13 that Sutton was leaving " to pursue other opportunities" and at this time with all the coaching changes going on, no word on where he may surface. Maybe he decided or it was decided for him to just walk away. Regardless, we currently have 2 very young and green assistants and this whole process has been kept very quiet. You would think something would of leaked out by now. Jim Christian's and Murphy's name (most likely not) were only mentioned in passing. I would think that maybe Dave Leitao would also be considered, if he has any interest.
This will be a huge hire for Cox so I hope they get it right. Either way just wish we would hear something soon, maybe I am starved for some URI basketball news and for that matter how about them finalizing a tournament for us.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago I just find it very interesting that is was announced about Freeman stepping down from the UConn basketball program on 4/16 and almost immediately rumors were circulating about Luke Murray filling that position, which was confirmed yesterday. They already have 2 high profile assistants Young and Moore on staff and now they have 3 well compensated assistants.

On the other hand it was announced on 4/13 that Sutton was leaving " to pursue other opportunities" and at this time with all the coaching changes going on, no word on where he may surface. Maybe he decided or it was decided for him to just walk away. Regardless, we currently have 2 very young and green assistants and this whole process has been kept very quiet. You would think something would of leaked out by now. Jim Christian's and Murphy's name (most likely not) were only mentioned in passing. I would think that maybe Dave Leitao would also be considered, if he has any interest.
This will be a huge hire for Cox so I hope they get it right. Either way just wish we would hear something soon, maybe I am starved for some URI basketball news and for that matter how about them finalizing a tournament for us.
You also have to keep in mind that whoever the hire is, the pay will need to be enough. Those former head coaches who are recently without jobs are looking for more than $180-$200K per year, especially with their experience.

It won’t be a huge splash hire, but it will be a name that rings a few bells.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago I just find it very interesting that is was announced about Freeman stepping down from the UConn basketball program on 4/16 and almost immediately rumors were circulating about Luke Murray filling that position, which was confirmed yesterday. They already have 2 high profile assistants Young and Moore on staff and now they have 3 well compensated assistants.

You also have to keep in mind that whoever the hire is, the pay will need to be enough. Those former head coaches who are recently without jobs are looking for more than $180-$200K per year, especially with their experience.

Not exactly expecting a splash hire, just someone that can add a strong veteran presence on the bench, player development skills, and some good recruiting ties.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Not exactly expecting a splash hire, just someone that can add a strong veteran presence on the bench, player development skills, and some good recruiting ties.
With what’s at stake, I’m sure that’s the goal…considering what the prerequisites were for the position.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Good recruiting ties would be gravy, the other things on your list are far more important to me. Game strategy and player development. I do think Cox helped Hurley a lot in that area. Cox now needs to find his own guy.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Will Brown?
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

I thought John Carroll was supposed to be the veteran voice on the bench, offering his experience and guidance. If he's not doing that than what exactly does he do?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

One name that usually comes up but this time hasn't: TJ Sorrentine. 12 years as an assistant.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago One name that usually comes up but this time hasn't: TJ Sorrentine. 12 years as an assistant.
Possibly, plus another former Vermont player Maurice Joseph, definitely would not be splash hires. Joseph was most recently an assistant coach at George Mason and a prior head coach at GW. Not sure if he already landed a gig.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago One name that usually comes up but this time hasn't: TJ Sorrentine. 12 years as an assistant.
Possibly, plus another former Vermont player Maurice Joseph, definitely would not be splash hires. Joseph was most recently an assistant coach at George Mason and a prior head coach at GW. Not sure if he already landed a gig.
Richmond just hired him.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Richmond just hired him.
Yes, I forgot thanks
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Maybe 3 other candidates to keep an eye on, outside of those we previously mentioned:

Raphael Chillious - Was an assistant at Washington, Villanova, UConn, and assoc. head coach at ECU. Currently basketball director at South Kent. Moved back to Ct. because of his wife's health.

Serge Clement- Currently at Marist. Strengths in player development, specialized with guards and wings, also good recruiting ties.

Antoni Wyche- Currently at Siena. Played at Notre Dame and coached at Lehigh. Was a defensive specialist and director of recruiting. Considered one of the better mid-major assistants.

Also Dave Leitao ( former DePaul HC) just joined Kevin Ollie's staff at Overtime Elite.

Again trying to be realistic (not expecting a splash hire), many of top coaching prospects are already gone.
Considering Cox's situation and not having an extension, there may be limited interest from some strong candidates.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Maybe 3 other candidates to keep an eye on, outside of those we previously mentioned:

Raphael Chillious - Was an assistant at Washington, Villanova, UConn, and assoc. head coach at ECU. Currently basketball director at South Kent. Moved back to Ct. because of his wife's health.

Serge Clement- Currently at Marist. Strengths in player development, specialized with guards and wings, also good recruiting ties.

Antoni Wyche- Currently at Siena. Played at Notre Dame and coached at Lehigh. Was a defensive specialist and director of recruiting. Considered one of the better mid-major assistants.

Also Dave Leitao ( former DePaul HC) just joined Kevin Ollie's staff at Overtime Elite.

Again trying to be realistic (not expecting a splash hire), many of top coaching prospects are already gone.
Considering Cox's situation and not having an extension, there may be limited interest from some strong candidates.
Won’t be any of those guys either.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Maybe 3 other candidates to keep an eye on, outside of those we previously mentioned:

Won’t be any of those guys either.
I guess we just have to wait and see.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

DC: do you think the hire is a good one and what do you think the general reaction will be.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Surprised
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years agoSurprised
It’s official? Can’t find anything online.
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Who is it?