A10 Tournament March 3-14 2021

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Re: A10 Tournament March 3-14 2021

Unread post by JimSidd »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago If STL beats Bona and plays VCU in the finals you would think about 80 % chance 3 teams get bids
Right now all three have an NET ranking in the top 40. They might all get at large invites if teams were picked now.
I think St Louis needs to win tomorrow to get in. You know bid stealers in other conferences will pop up. I think VCU is in if St Louis loses tomorrow, even if they lose to Davidson. On the other hand, if VCU loses tomorrow and St Louis wins the tournament, VCU should be very nervous on March 14.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Cox' use of time outs is maddening and his non use of time outs is more maddening. You don't have to be a Hall of Fame coach to be able manage time outs but this for some reason is a problem for Cox.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Watching Davidson destroy Mason.

Nice watching a team that although they aren't the most athletic, they are fundamentally sound, move the ball well on offense, play solid defense, and can SHOOT THE BALL.

McKillop doesn't recruit 4 stars either....he can't get them anyway. Their facilities and budget are nowhere near the top of the A10 either.

The guy is just a great coach, develops and maximizes the talent available.

His teams don't have a really high ceiling, they aren't athletic enough, but they are consistently good especially late in seasons.

Everything that Davidson and McKillop are, URI and Cox isn't. And that is infuriating.
......yep, committed to a system, his system, both ends of floor, recruits to that system to fill roster spots rather than chasing over rated talent to figure out what to do with them......no?
Let’s not compare the guy who has coached at the same place for 30 years to the guy who has been a head coach for 3. We have a younger coach who can bring in talent and needs to find his identity still. I guarantee if Cox is no longer our coach he goes to another team, does well and is a P5 coach. Ride it out, we will be fine.
I don' even care how long I have to wait for you to admit defeat...but I will wager a six pack of choice that Cox does not become a P5 coach.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe he meant P5 assistant coach ?? I don’t see him a P5 head coach at all not after the world of hurt he has put us in
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Cox a P5 coach:
Is it out of the realm of possibilities? Certainly not.

Has he shown he can be a head coach at the higher level right now? Certainly not.

Has he shown he can be a success coach at the A10 level? Last year I would have said he has what it takes. This year, I'm not so sure.

Dave is young enough to get fired here, go back to assistant at a high level program, and get a 2nd shot at being a HC at a mid major and work his way to P5. If I had a crystal ball that's what I think I'd see.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I doubt it. He's been an assistant for many years, he's had a look at what is needed at the top level.

Now that he's a HC, he hasn't applied anything he learned during that time.

He can recruit yes...although the quality of the recruits have been questionable overall.

This is his team now, he owns it.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Back to the tournament:

Interesting that, after all the talk about how wide open the tournament would be and how many teams had a chance to win it, the top four seeds have advanced to the semis. I’ll predict that St Louis and Davidson win today.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

If St Louis wins the A10, do both Bonnies and VCU dance?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago If St Louis wins the A10, do both Bonnies and VCU dance?
I’d say so
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago If St Louis wins the A10, do both Bonnies and VCU dance?
If VCU makes the finals, I’d say so.

If they lost to Davidson, will be close / depend on bid stealers.
Go Rhody
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

As much as the Bonnies have had a good season and were an 11-4 best in the A10, they really don't have many good wins. Check out their schedule. They beat VCU and that's about it. Their win over Richmond doesn't mean much at this point. I know their NET is pretty high right now, but If the Bonnies lose to St. Louis I think they are in trouble. Obviously there are some other things that need to and will shake out, but I think it's a must-win game for both teams tonight.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago As much as the Bonnies have had a good season and were an 11-4 best in the A10, they really don't have many good wins. Check out their schedule. They beat VCU and that's about it. Their win over Richmond doesn't mean much at this point. I know their NET is pretty high right now, but If the Bonnies lose to St. Louis I think they are in trouble. Obviously there are some other things that need to and will shake out, but I think it's a must-win game for both teams tonight.
A10 got the Top 4 Seeds in to the Semi Finals which is a good thing. A10 will find itself battling other bubble teams. Here is how the A10 compares to the Big East today.
  • The URI loss doesn't help Seton Hall being to an A10 Team
  • Teams NET 36 and below has 3 A10 and 3 BE Teams
  • If Davidson wins the A10 Tournament A10 could get 4 teams in?
Current NCAA NET

10 - Villanova
26 - Creighton
28 - St Bonaventure
32 - UCONN
35 - VCU
36 - St Louis
-----------------------------------------------------
52 - Xavier
57 - Seton Hall
60 - Davidson
  • Saint Louis (-2) NET=36 vs St Bonaventure NET=28 6pm CBSSN
  • Davidson NET=60 vs VCU NET=35 (-2) 9pm CBSSN
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago As much as the Bonnies have had a good season and were an 11-4 best in the A10, they really don't have many good wins. Check out their schedule. They beat VCU and that's about it. Their win over Richmond doesn't mean much at this point. I know their NET is pretty high right now, but If the Bonnies lose to St. Louis I think they are in trouble. Obviously there are some other things that need to and will shake out, but I think it's a must-win game for both teams tonight.
[/

A10 got the Top 4 Seeds in to the Semi Finals which is a good thing. A10 will find itself battling other bubble teams. Here is how the A10 compares to the Big East today.
  • The URI loss doesn't help Seton Hall being to an A10 Team
  • Teams NET 36 and below has 3 A10 and 3 BE Teams
  • If Davidson wins the A10 Tournament A10 could get 4 teams in?
Current NCAA NET

10 - Villanova
26 - Creighton
28 - St Bonaventure
32 - UCONN
35 - VCU
36 - St Louis
-----------------------------------------------------
52 - Xavier
57 - Seton Hall
60 - Davidson
  • Saint Louis (-2) NET=36 vs St Bonaventure NET=28 6pm CBSSN
  • Davidson NET=60 vs VCU NET=35 (-2) 9pm CBSSN
quote]

I say there’s no chance the A10 gets four teams. If Davidson wins out, one of the other three gets bounced. I’d say St Louis if they lose today and VCU if St Louis wins today.
With the limited OOC games this season, I wonder if NET rating will be less of a factor.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From ESPN+

NCAA men's tournament Bubble Watch: Davidson aims to be bid thief again - John Gasaway

Atlantic 10 men's basketball teams have been fixtures for weeks here at Bubble Watch. Now St. Bonaventure, VCU and Saint Louis are each vying to get out of "work to do" and become a lock by winning the league's automatic bid at the A-10 tournament.

Among the 13 A-10 teams that don't cut down the nets, there will be at least two and possibly three programs still here at the Watch that are hoping to hear their names called on Selection Sunday. While bubble hopefuls can on occasion see their chances diminished by a poor showing at the conference tournament, that doesn't figure to be an issue in the A-10 this year.

The league's bracket gave every A-10 bubble team a bye into the quarterfinals. From there, the Bonnies, the Rams and the Billikens all won their games and made their way to the semifinals.

Naturally, there is always the possibility that the automatic bid could be won by a team not featured here at Bubble Watch. This year, that team would have to be Davidson, which has made its way to the semifinals. If Bob McKillop's team does win the A-10 tournament, it will be correct to term Davidson a bid thief -- again. The A-10 has a rich history of producing bid thieves. The past two winners of the league tournament (which did not take place in 2020) took NCAA at-large bids off the board: Davidson in 2018 and Saint Louis in 2019.

Still, even if no bid thief emerges from the A-10, the league has a shot at putting three teams in the field of 68. Last year, the coronavirus pandemic wiped out what might have been a No. 1 seed for Dayton. In 2021, the A-10 hopes to return to the NCAA field in force.

Here's our current projection of the bubble:

Bids from traditional one-bid leagues (minus the Ivy): 20 teams
Locks: 31 teams
The bubble: 26 teams for 17 available spots
Should be in: 5 teams
Work to do: 21 teams

Work to do

St. Bonaventure Bonnies
Head coach Mark Schmidt is being "mentioned consistently" for the opening at Boston College, but before he considers or rejects any feelers, his Bonnies have a shot at a single-digit seed. St. Bonaventure is shown in projected brackets on the No. 10 line, and Osun Osunniyi & Co. have reached the A-10 semifinals as the top seed in the conference tournament. The next opponent will be Saint Louis, and a win over the Billikens on a neutral floor would qualify as a Quad 1 victory. On the other hand, a loss would most likely land the Bonnies in the NCAA field as a double-digit seed.

VCU Rams
Nah'Shon Hyland sat out two games with a foot injury and then returned for the Rams' A-10 quarterfinal against Dayton. The sophomore was outstanding, recording a 30-10 double-double to go along with three steals. Having Hyland back and at full speed is great news for a VCU team that was already playing conference tournament basketball in its home arena as a projected NCAA No. 11 seed. The Rams might need that home-court advantage. Their next opponent, would-be bid thief Davidson, looked pretty tough in rolling over George Mason 99-67.

Drake Bulldogs
The Bulldogs were scheduled to face Northern Iowa in the Missouri Valley Conference tournament quarterfinals, but the game was canceled as an apparent result of COVID-19 issues within the UNI program. Drake has advanced to the semifinals at a time when Darian DeVries' group is appearing in mock brackets as one of the last one or two teams in the field of 68. Other things being equal, a loss to any MVC opponent other than Loyola Chicago would likely knock DU out of the projected bracket. As for a loss to the Ramblers in the title game, that would occasion a long wait for a Selection Sunday decision that could go either way.

Colorado State Rams
The Rams ended their regular season with an 85-82 loss at Nevada after the Wolf Pack's Grant Sherfield hit a 3-pointer in the final seconds. The outcome qualifies as a Quad 2 defeat, and it capped off an intense stretch run in which CSU played four games within seven days. Wins at home over Air Force (twice) and New Mexico were followed by the setback in Reno. Niko Medved's team was projected as a No. 11 seed prior to the loss, and it's probable Colorado State will now enter the Mountain West tournament forecast as one of the last teams in or first teams out of the field of 68.

Utah State Aggies
After Craig Smith's men lost two games at Boise State by a total of 13 points, the bubble outlook looked grim indeed. Then a funny thing happened. Projected Nos. 11 and 12 seeds started falling out of the bracket, while a few "first four out" and "next four out" programs also encountered difficulties in winning games. Meanwhile, USU was quietly taking care of business with three wins at home, two against Nevada and one against Wyoming. This combination of faltering competitors and steady performance on Utah State's part has lifted the Aggies back into the picture. The 50-something NET ranking still looks adequate, and the "sweep" of San Diego State (both games were played in Logan, Utah) is still impressive. USU has a chance.

Boise State Broncos
The "Quad 4 loss on the second day of March" thing is not a good look. Boise State was being projected as a No. 11 seed before losing at home by three points to Fresno State. Now BSU's tournament fate is very much open to question. Prior to the loss, the Broncos seemed as "safe" as a team on the No. 11 line can be, meaning Boise State had appeared in the consensus projected field every day over the course of the past month. That streak in the "fake" bracket will likely end, and the previously top-35 NET ranking will take a hit. BSU is very much in need of a strong showing at the Mountain West tournament.

Saint Louis Billikens
Since losing back-to-back road games at Dayton and VCU last month, SLU has reeled off three straight victories and reached the semifinals of the A-10 tournament. As the No. 4 seed in this bracket, Travis Ford's men will now face top seed St. Bonaventure. Should the Billikens prevail there, they could move off the "first four out" list and into the projected field. No, moving into the projected field eight days out from Selection Sunday is not at all the same thing as being a lock. It does, however, beat the alternative, which would be a loss at the hands of the Bonnies and a substantial -- though not certain -- probability of not receiving an at-large bid.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I still think 3 is a decent possibility especially if St Louis wins today , lots of faltering teams across the nation
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So we have a VCU and Bona final looking like both dance , STL looks to be on the wrong side of the bubble going to need lots of teams to keep losing to have a chance
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

With all of the hype around St Louis this year I would say this year has been a big time failure for them. Good thing we aren't St. Louis fans.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago With all of the hype around St Louis this year I would say this year has been a big time failure for them. Good thing we aren't St. Louis fans.
Yes and Richmond too
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago With all of the hype around St Louis this year I would say this year has been a big time failure for them. Good thing we aren't St. Louis fans.
I camt help but think month plus long shut down they had kinda ruined them. They looked way better early in the year.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago So we have a VCU and Bona final looking like both dance , STL looks to be on the wrong side of the bubble going to need lots of teams to keep losing to have a chance
This final VCU and Bonnies, will be the favorites for a repeat in 22'
Both should have their rosters intact for next year, sets up well for Schmidt (if he doesn't leave) and Rhoades.

This season's with VCU exceeding expectations should take some of the pressure off Mike Rhoades after last year's disappointment.
There were many concerns in VCU land after Santos-Silva left for TT and Jenkins, Evans, Vann, and Simms all graduating.

Mike Rhoades really overachieved and I think is deserving of A10 COY honors.
Mark Schmidt also but his roster was mostly intact from the previous year, and they were expected to do well.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

This VCU team gives me hope for Rhody next year. Last year they were 8-10 in conference and lost Santos-Silva to Texas tech but came back better this year. We lose Fatts and Shep, but I think the rest of the team improves and we start to meet expectations next year. Definitely Bonnie’s and VCU at the top but we can be right there with them.

Another note, Bonnie’s and VCU are IN the tournament as far as I am concerned. SLU should get a play in game based on where they were before the pause, not sure they will but I think they should.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

For all the talk about how wide open the A10 tournament was, the quarters saw seeds 1-7 and 9, the semis saw seeds 1-4, and the final will be 1 v 2. The tournamemt was surprisingly chalky.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Did I hear them saying last night that SLU would be looking to book more games?
I hope that's true and:
-it works out so they get a bid
-it becomes a CBB 'thing' every year

Would be a whole new twist added...
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago Did I hear them saying last night that SLU would be looking to book more games?
I hope that's true and:
-it works out so they get a bid
-it becomes a CBB 'thing' every year

Would be a whole new twist added...
They may be trying but highly unlikely, especially with any team that would help their NET.

I have a feeling they may be selected for the play-in game.

You never know how the committee members will vote, although they are probably on the wrong side of the bubble.

SLU already got one huge victory with Perkins deciding to come back.
Should be 1st team A10 next year. They also have some nice surrounding pieces in place.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NET for A-10 teams as of Sunday 3/7/21 morning
27 SBU
35 VCU
44 SLU
62 Davidson
69 Richmond
80 Dayton
107 URI
112 UMass
132 GMU
135 Duquesne
201 LaSalle
219 SJU
260 GW
322 Fordham
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago NET for A-10 teams as of Sunday 3/7/21 morning
27 SBU
35 VCU
44 SLU
62 Davidson
69 Richmond
80 Dayton
107 URI
112 UMass
132 GMU
135 Duquesne
201 LaSalle
219 SJU
260 GW
322 Fordham
Just curious....at what NET ranking are you a 'bad loss'?
Ramball
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Ramball »

Not sure if this is accurate but we have have been the only team in the league to beat both teams who are in the finals.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
RF1 wrote: 3 years ago NET for A-10 teams as of Sunday 3/7/21 morning
27 SBU
35 VCU
44 SLU
62 Davidson
69 Richmond
80 Dayton
107 URI
112 UMass
132 GMU
135 Duquesne
201 LaSalle
219 SJU
260 GW
322 Fordham
Just curious....at what NET ranking are you a 'bad loss'?
When you are a quad 3 opponent.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Olean, NY may be a small town far from the big city but its residents very much support and love its Bonnies basketball team:

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Now that right there is cool
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I know we all want Rhody to have been playing today but I’m excited to watch this game today. And great for the A10 to have this game in CBS before the B1G championship.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......and yes, we beat them both.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Apparently Vince Williams thinks he’s Kevin Durant. His ill advised offense is really hurting VCU.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Never realized the Brown Indians are so mouthy ...
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steviep123
Sly Williams

SBU is doing what they can to tank this game.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Blows my mind how URI could beat VCU & Bonnies, but then still not figure out a way to improve & win more games. I am impressed by the Bonnies defense in this tournament. It reminds me of URI's defense under Hurley...*sigh*. Lofton is solid player for them. I'd love to see the Mitchell twins become more like their center Osunniyi.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
steviep123
Sly Williams

Dagger!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

SBU wins the tournament. First 1 seed to win it since when? 2013?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago .......and yes, we beat them both.....
.....yes, it feels we are further away now from being competitive with them than we ever were......no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

St. Bonaventure looks great right now. Major improvement over the season and hopefully peaking to do the A-10 proud. Jealous!
Mobley was fouled.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

No BC coach announcement makes me think Schmidt is it. No?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Congrats to the Bonnies definitely the best of the group of A10 teams this year
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If the Bonnies win a couple games in the NCAA tourney, Schmidt will have his choice of new school, if he wants it.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Schmidt has a team of 5 Juniors starting. They made the NCAAT and we will see where they go but they could be a second weekend team. Next year? They could be really good.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Schmidt has a team of 5 Juniors starting. They made the NCAAT and we will see where they go but they could be a second weekend team. Next year? They could be really good.
They will be really really good next year. As we discussed previously, it would be a shame for him to leave and not see it through with this group, handing out their honors on senior day.

Although, I can see him being from Ma. and playing at BC being tempted to come back and resurrect their program, especially with a big $ offer.
I don't think there will be any shortage of programs courting him, the following year.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Schmidt has a team of 5 Juniors starting. They made the NCAAT and we will see where they go but they could be a second weekend team. Next year? They could be really good.
They will be really really good next year. As we discussed previously, it would be a shame for him to leave and not see it through with this group, handing out their honors on senior day.

Although, I can see him being from Ma. and playing at BC being tempted to come back and resurrect their program, especially with a big $ offer.
I don't think there will be any shortage of programs courting him, the following year.
He could also take his entire team to BC and start day 1.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago No BC coach announcement makes me think Schmidt is it. No?
Most candidates For the BC job are still playing. Rare for an announcement to be made prior to elimination from the NCAA Tournament.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

The BC job is open now, it will not be open in a year from now.

If he wants BC he has to act now. My guess is it’s his if he wants it.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

The BC job is open now, it will not be open in a year from now.

If he wants BC he has to act now. My guess is it’s his if he wants it.
That's what I was saying. He could take the BC job now and take his entire team with him. All seniors.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Tough matchup for Bona 9 v 8 LSU surprised LSU is an 8 should be 7 at worst