1/6 | Richmond | 6:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Re: 1/6 | Richmond | 6:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by RI_Bred »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago If you described these two teams and then simulated the game it’s exactly what you would expect:

Experienced team with chemistry takes on more talented team with little experience playing together
Agree. Still tough to watch.
Mobley was fouled.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ugh god damnit. That’s the game.

We’re a bunch of fighters. Unfortunately not a bunch of basketball players.

On the bright side, we have an identity now - terrible ball security and a tremendous amount of turnovers. At least we’ve been consistently bad there.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago If you described these two teams and then simulated the game it’s exactly what you would expect:

Experienced team with chemistry takes on more talented team with little experience playing together
That’s Fn weak!!!

GO RHODY!
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago The turnovers and shot selection is criminal. Cox better find an assistant who can help him install an offense next year or he’s not going to be a head coach for long.
This is one of our better shooting games of the season. The turnovers are 1000% on the players committing them.

Are you watching the game or just yelling at clouds?
OrangeRam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OrangeRam »

Cox is not an A 10 level coach.
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Harris will shoot 3's but wont take a shot on from the corner of the foul line?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

DC I disagree. Clean basketball doesn’t happen naturally.
GO RAMS
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

15 footer by Mitchell. Misses and Cox puts his head down like why did he shoot that? Maybe because you have not told him to shoot from there.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Game over
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago 15 footer by Mitchell. Misses and Cox puts his head down like why did he shoot that? Maybe because you have not told him to shoot from there.
“I told our guys they gotta take better shots ...”
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Why Harris is playing defense in a high leverage situation is beyond me.

But we didn’t deserve this game at all.

Have I vastly overrated the talent here? Or are we really this bad?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

We need scorers in the game not both bigs. Shooters and someone with quickness who may make a steal.
Am I right or wrong?
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Lol at those saying that turnovers have nothing to do with coaching. It’s a direct result of street ball with no offensive sets. This is on Cox.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

We need to improve the half-court offense.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We do not have more talent than them.

Golden is better than any big man we have.

Gilyard is better than Fatts.

Cayo is better than any wing we have.

Francis is better than any of our guards besides Fatts.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Why Harris is playing defense in a high leverage situation is beyond me.

But we didn’t deserve this game at all.

Have I vastly overrated the talent here? Or are we really this bad?
Talent does not equal IQ. As 105 said earlier, talent does not equal team. And recruiting rankings don’t mean a damn thing.
Last edited by Rhode_Island_Red 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We are not a talented team. No shooters, and no scorers.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Ugh tons of effort and no results!

Mitchell can’t play the game with his hands by his hips. It’s awful and killed uri today. Fatts needs to play at a higher level. He’s obviously good but he needs to play like a senior and not give the ball away. And get destroyed on defense.

Tough night.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Ummm why bother taking the time out if you were just going to concede the game!?

Give to Rhody's NIL
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

We do not have more talent than them.

Golden is better than any big man we have.

Gilyard is better than Fatts.

Francis is better than any of our guards besides Fatts.
More as in quantity of players I suppose. Our bench out scored theirs 21-1

Unfortunately you’re right though. If your starting 5 can single handedly outplay the other team I suppose it’s all moot
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

BUT NOW WE FOUL!?

Cmon Cox stans. You have to admit there is a serious lack of consistency in his decision making.

Give to Rhody's NIL
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Game over and he puts Sheppard in. WTF
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

i'm not big on silly fouls late in the game when there is no chance, but down 8 with a minute to go and only 6 team fouls, why would you not have them go to the line for 3 one and ones?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago BUT NOW WE FOUL!?

Cmon Cox stans. You have to admit there is a serious lack of consistency in his decision making.
Update: Cox just called a timeout post game.
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Did that last basket count? Pretty huge for the opening spread of Richmond -7
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Talent is there lol we’ve all seen and acknowledged it over and over. It’s coaching and lack of chemistry, some is COVIDs fault , the rest is on the coaches. We’re intelligent fans, we can tel the different between no talent and no coaching.
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Dumb turnovers did us in. That is all.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I don't get the we are the more talented team.. in my opinion basketball iq, being able to play defense and ball security are important factors in the talent piece and we aren't strong in any of those areas..better athleticism doesn't mean better talent..
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

I didnt like the turnovers and some personnel groupings but the game kind of ended up the way i suspected with a close loss. Not everything was negative in my book and i felt a little better about this performance compared to the prior few games even though we picked up Ws That is a good team so kind of hard to expect a win on the road. We need to cut down on our turnovers. That was our biggest issue.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Tick tock, tick tock.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

I’m trying something new tonight. I want to see if a little chocolate syrup helps the Everclear go down faster.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ram1980 wrote: 3 years ago

I don't get the we are the more talented team.. in my opinion basketball iq, being able to play defense and ball security are important factors in the talent piece and we aren't strong in any of those areas..better athleticism doesn't mean better talent..
Agreed. Richmond is a very talented AND experienced team. A lot of those things I think our guys are capable of but playing with 7 new players against a group that has played together for years is tough.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Turnovers and weak defense did us in. There is none of the defensive tenacity that was a hallmark of Hurley teams. Very frustrating yet predictable.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Talent is there lol we’ve all seen and acknowledged it over and over. It’s coaching and lack of chemistry, some is COVIDs fault , the rest is on the coaches. We’re intelligent fans, we can tel the different between no talent and no coaching.
I question whether we have talent - we certainly have athleticism. Shooting, passing, ball-handling, good fundamentals and basketball IQ are missing. URI has been a mecca for the type of players we have on this team.
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......yep, why?....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Q1 loss, we’ll be okay. That being said 1 less Q1 win available. Just try and get better every game.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Q1 loss, we’ll be okay. That being said 1 less Q1 win available. Just try and get better every game.
Quads are only relevant for NCAA teams, not CBI teams.
Go Rhody
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

PeteRI said it...too many turnovers again, and our defense is not good enough.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We are 5-6 in year three of Cox. And we are playing like poo. And we have a team of transfers cause everyone left. We have no offense or defense. This is a disaster.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Talent is there lol we’ve all seen and acknowledged it over and over. It’s coaching and lack of chemistry, some is COVIDs fault , the rest is on the coaches. We’re intelligent fans, we can tel the different between no talent and no coaching.
I question whether we have talent - we certainly have athleticism. Shooting, passing, ball-handling, good fundamentals and basketball IQ are missing. URI has been a mecca for the type of players we have on this team.
I agree, we have all of that. We were literally the worst shooting team in the country last year with little inside game. Now we have both. But turnovers skyrocketed, even amongst players that have been here. It’s uncharacteristic for all of them, check the stats. It’s easy to blame the coach, but if it was a skill or athleticism, that can’t be coached as much as discipline and IQ, which teams rely on from coaches.
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This is not a disaster. What happened in DC was a disaster. We lost a basketball game to the preseason favorite who returned their entire starting lineup.

Turnovers just killed us, still lacking chemistry and cohesion though we had some good stretches of offense and defense tonight. If we can get our TOs down to 10-12 we will be cooking with gas.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Taking into account who we played, when we played, and where we played, is it safe to say our best game was the first of the season against ASU

Yes we lost, but it was our first game with a new team in a neutral court and had the lead when Fatts fouled out.

You can say Seton Hall was our best game and I won’t argue. It it’s been all downhill since the start of the year.
Go Rhody
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Did that last basket count? Pretty huge for the opening spread of Richmond -7
Weird that no refs or announcers signaled it was good, It clearly was before time ran out.

I don't bet on the games but ...
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago This is not a disaster. What happened in DC was a disaster. We lost a basketball game to the preseason favorite who returned their entire starting lineup.

Turnovers just killed us, still lacking chemistry and cohesion though we had some good stretches of offense and defense tonight. If we can get our TOs down to 10-12 we will be cooking with gas.
Oh, an optimist. We are 5-6. We suck. (DC was just like Portland for that last 6 months, so)
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago Lol at those saying that turnovers have nothing to do with coaching. It’s a direct result of street ball with no offensive sets. This is on Cox.
Stop with the “it’s the offensive sets”, when DJ dribbles the ball of his foot executing a simple dribble hand off and Twan throws 3-4 passes to no one that isn’t the play design. All offensive sets require decision making and reads and right now our guys are making bad decisions and bad reads. Personnel issues and who is playing when are coaching related and aren’t great either.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody Sody wrote: 3 years ago I didnt like the turnovers and some personnel groupings but the game kind of ended up the way i suspected with a close loss. Not everything was negative in my book and i felt a little better about this performance compared to the prior few games even though we picked up Ws That is a good team so kind of hard to expect a win on the road. We need to cut down on our turnovers. That was our biggest issue.
Agreed no doubt. I am disappointed but not not surprised, this was a game I didn't think we would win but had a chance.
At least for the most part we kept it within striking distance.
Again the turnovers hurt us as we committed 19 compared to their 7, they took 9 more shots than we did (64-55)
They also had 16 assists compared to our 10.
On a positive note we did outrebound them 37-27 and our shooting improved.
Hopefully we bounce back and win Saturday. As I mentioned before the 2 additional days of practice here should help.
Richmond is a talented team with 5 solid starters, so this shouldn't be considered a bad loss.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Payton34
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Payton34 »

If our defense was bad tonight Richmond’s was worse.....we shot over 52% and 40% from 3. This game was lost on 19 to 6 turnovers and over 8 points left at the charity stripe. Gilyard seem to make every 3 he chucked up, tightly guarded or not.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodeIslandRams wrote: 3 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Did that last basket count? Pretty huge for the opening spread of Richmond -7
Weird that no refs or announcers signaled it was good, It clearly was before time ran out.

I don't bet on the games but ...
The bottom ref signaled it was good and the ESPN boxscore has it included in the final.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago This is not a disaster. What happened in DC was a disaster. We lost a basketball game to the preseason favorite who returned their entire starting lineup.

Oh, an optimist. We are 5-6. We suck. (DC was just like Portland for that last 6 months, so)
If you are comparing today to anything we have ever seen in our lifetime, including Portland, then we can’t really have much of a discussion. Portland was akin to the LA riots, we’ve seen that before, today was akin to some shit from the 1600s.

We aren’t a very good team right now but we certainly don’t suck. Teams that suck don’t beat Seton Hall, San Fran or Bonnies all of which are good teams.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

There it is! Was waiting for you to defend the hideous actions of your people in DC today!

I’m surprised you watched the game and weren’t in the capitol building today.
Go Rhody