Atlantic 10 Outlook 2020-2021 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Atlantic 10 Outlook 2020-2021 Season

Unread post by ramster »

Richmond and Saint Louis among his 8 sleepers in the NCAA Tournament

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

This tough OOC schedule is really going to prepare us well going into conference play. Looks like we will have a solid and deep rotation without much drop-off. Antwan was extremely impressive and finishes strong around the basket. DJ had a solid 18 minutes with 12 points and 7 boards. No team will walk away this season with the A10 title, there is so much talent this year in our conference.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nice article by Kevin Mac. Interesting how URI had to meet Big10 Coronavirus Testing Protocol and all the testing that Weill take place prior to the URI - Wisconsin Game. David Cox, his Staff and his team have done a nice job with testing and avoiding issues with Covid. Those efforts have enable URI to continue playing and soliciting additional games. Looking at the A10 so far is crazy:

0 Games: Fordham, St Bonaventure, UMASS
2 games: Dayton (1-1), Duquesne (1-1), St Josephs (0-2)
3 games: Richmond (3-0), St Louis (3-0), George Mason (2-1), LaSalle (0-3)
4 games: Davidson (2-2), GW (1-3)
5 games: URI (3-2), VCU (3-2)

URI and VCU with 5 games played because they have been able to keep their Covid in check and they have scheduled effectively around problems that other teams have encountered. Great work.

JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Nice article by Kevin Mac. Interesting how URI had to meet Big10 Coronavirus Testing Protocol and all the testing that Weill take place prior to the URI - Wisconsin Game. David Cox, his Staff and his team have done a nice job with testing and avoiding issues with Covid. Those efforts have enable URI to continue playing and soliciting additional games. Looking at the A10 so far is crazy:

0 Games: Fordham, St Bonaventure, UMASS
2 games: Dayton (1-1), Duquesne (1-1), St Josephs (0-2)
3 games: Richmond (3-0), St Louis (3-0), George Mason (2-1), LaSalle (0-3)
4 games: Davidson (2-2), GW (1-3)
5 games: URI (3-2), VCU (3-2)

URI and VCU with 5 games played because they have been able to keep their Covid in check and they have scheduled effectively around problems that other teams have encountered. Great work.

While this is true, teams will need to have some luck this season, too. Your program could be fine, but games could be postponed or cancelled due to issues with your opponents.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I agree with JimSidd. With the rampant rise of Covid everywhere, great protocols and adherence are not always enough. You need luck and fortune as well.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That its correct and David Cox refers to luck too. Teams with misfortunes has also opened up opportunities for URI. If David Cox, his staff and players can keep themselves safe, then URI is in a good place to be able to move quickly. Exactly how the Arizona State and Boston College Games popped up.
We basically exchanged Boston College with Wisconsin!!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago That its correct and David Cox refers to luck too. Teams with misfortunes has also opened up opportunities for URI. If David Cox, his staff and players can keep themselves safe, then URI is in a good place to be able to move quickly. Exactly how the Arizona State and Boston College Games popped up.
Still hope to make BC work as well.

Luck is only part of it. You have to have an admin staff well connected to other programs and constantly working to make these connections when something comes up.

Like Greg Gard said - his staff is coming to him with up-to-the-minute changes.

Hats off to this entire staff for leveraging everything in their power to make these things happen quickly.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

With BC, I don't blame them as much for wanting to post pone the game as we had just played them the previous week. As long as it remains a postponement (even if a future season - though I'd rather have another crack at them this season) and not a strict cancellation.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago With BC, I don't blame them as much for wanting to post pone the game as we had just played them the previous week. As long as it remains a postponement (even if a future season - though I'd rather have another crack at them this season) and not a strict cancellation.
Yeah they got their win and switched us with Florida. Can't blame them.

All I know is, revenge will be had if we play them again. We played about as bad as we could against them. They looked like garbage against FLA.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago That its correct and David Cox refers to luck too. Teams with misfortunes has also opened up opportunities for URI. If David Cox, his staff and players can keep themselves safe, then URI is in a good place to be able to move quickly. Exactly how the Arizona State and Boston College Games popped up.
Luck is only part of it. You have to have an admin staff well connected to other programs and constantly working to make these connections when something comes up.
Yup it's like that old showbiz trope of knowing a guy who's friends with some low level producer on the late show. Somebody cancels and the host goes to the staff and is like "who can get here last minute?" Then that producer says "I know a guy who's good...

for me to poop on." And that my friends is the story of how Triumph the Insult Comic Dog got his start!
Sorry for the sidetrack haha.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Can't blame BC at all, we would have done the sane thing. It would be nice if we could do a home and home with them going forward.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago Can't blame BC at all, we would have done the sane thing. It would be nice if we could do a home and home with them going forward.
The day of home and home for OOC in a season went out in the 80s. :D
BC has 20 league games.
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cox saying we are looking for a late December OOC game nice
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bones Highland had 30 points in only 23 minutes played
11-16 FG and 7-12 on 3Ps

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bones gonna be a good one for them
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Something is going on down in DC. Three GW players in the last five days have announced they are transferring out. The Colonials are a dismal 1-6 to date on the season. Their lone win was against Coppin State. They have losses to Navy, Hampton, UMBC, Delaware, William & Mary, and Charlotte.

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Disappointed to hear about Jameer. He had an excellent freshman year and must of fell out of favor this year, because recently lost his starting position and came off the bench.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Reading between the lines, it appears the LSU transfer James Bishop has cut into Jameer's time with 35 minutes per game at the PG position. He's putting up 19.6 pts and 6.6 asts per game, so Jameer probably sees a major roadblock to getting full time minutes again. Stallings was a very bit player (previous transfer from Mt. Saint Mary's). Jack I am unsure about, he started 28 games last year but only started 1 of 7 games thus far this year.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

GW stinks
GO RAMS
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years agoGW stinks
Not as bad as Fordham, what’s it gonna take for them to be kicked out of the A10
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

1-6 GW just beat fordham by 24. Yikes.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years agoGW stinks
Not as bad as Fordham, what’s it gonna take for them to be kicked out of the A10
Probably not going to happen, only school we play located in the NYC market. It does help that we do recruit in this area and can get the local kids and family to attend our games there, along with having the A10 tournament in Brooklyn.

I know this alone shouldn't be the main criteria and I also hope they would put more effort into upgrading their program and facilities, Regardless, I doubt very much the A10 would consider dropping them.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The St Louis basketball program is now on pause due to Covid. Today's game with Duquesne and this weekend versus Umass have been postponed.

Positive COVID-19 results put Billikens season on pause; Next 2 game postponed
https://www.radio.com/kmox/local-sports ... n-on-pause
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ugh Fordham what a joke and sucks about STL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Have Friggen Manatten or Hofstra join if we need a Ny team.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI vs Fordham
64-66 - Lose by 2
78-58 - Won by 20
63-66 - Lose by 3
79-85 - Lose by 6
77-65 - Won by 12
68-65 - Won by 3
64-63 - Won by 1
79-63 - Won by 16
61-64 - Lose by 3
43-53 - Lose by 10
78-58 - Won by 20
63-66 (OT) - Lose by 3
76-75 - Won by 1. Late rebound off missed URI FT by Jacob Toppin as he scored 2 points for the win

Last 13 games with Fordham. URI Wins 7, Losses 6. We have lost 3 of our last 5 with only the miracle rebound and shot by Jacob Toppin to keep from being 4 of our last 5 as losses.

February 20, 2021: Fordham at Rhode Island
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s embarrassing Ramster
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago That’s embarrassing Ramster
It's reality too.
It's embaronsing to keep hearing posters say how Fordham keeps holding back URI and the A10. Kind of like Cooley being afraid to play URI because URI has beaten his arse 2 of the last 3 games. We were very lucky to beat Fordham last season.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Have Friggen Manatten or Hofstra join if we need a Ny team.
........Iona.......the coach draws no?.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Right now we would probably lose to Iona.

As for Fordham, they are horrible but they always play us tough.

Doesn't say much for us.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago That’s embarrassing Ramster
It's reality too.
It's embaronsing to keep hearing posters say how Fordham keeps holding back URI and the A10. Kind of like Cooley being afraid to play URI because URI has beaten his arse 2 of the last 3 games. We were very lucky to beat Fordham last season.
I am glad you posted that Ramster, I was going to say the same thing. Fordham always seems to gives us a hard time, while many on this board tend to dismiss them.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I have lowered my expectations, so that the disappointment will not be as great......yes, at early 1-1......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Fordham plays in a high school gym and though well endowed shows little interest in being good at basketball. That is why they should be dropped, our record against them is meaningless in that point. All ships rise, or fall, based on the entirety of the conference. A 12 team A10 would be a much better league and give us a better chance at being the best non P6 league. If I were Commish that would be the goal for the league. It’s attainable.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Even though we are only 7-6 v them in our last 13 I am firmly in the camp that wants them outta the league
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Fordham plays in a high school gym and though well endowed shows little interest in being good at basketball. That is why they should be dropped, our record against them is meaningless in that point. All ships rise, or fall, based on the entirety of the conference. A 12 team A10 would be a much better league and give us a better chance at being the best non P6 league. If I were Commish that would be the goal for the league. It’s attainable.
In all seriousness does anyone know the logistics on this? Is there a contract to how long before we can “kick someone out”. What would the repercussions be? This conferences ceiling is seriously limited by the bottom dwellers
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Fordham plays in a high school gym and though well endowed shows little interest in being good at basketball. That is why they should be dropped, our record against them is meaningless in that point. All ships rise, or fall, based on the entirety of the conference. A 12 team A10 would be a much better league and give us a better chance at being the best non P6 league. If I were Commish that would be the goal for the league. It’s attainable.
In all seriousness does anyone know the logistics on this? Is there a contract to how long before we can “kick someone out”. What would the repercussions be? This conferences ceiling is seriously limited by the bottom dwellers
This gets debated over and over and over every year and even often within the same year.
And it never happens.
Conferences just don’t drop or cut schools, especially long term conference members.

URI should quit bitching about Fordham bringing URI basketball down. We should be responsible for our own past, present and future.

Fordham is not keeping us from attaining the field of 68. Plenty of reasons why we are not close to making the Field but Fordham is way down the list.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Bus trip to Fordham a few years ago was a blast.... love the gym.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

This gets debated over and over and over every year and even often within the same year.
And it never happens.
Conferences just don’t drop or cut schools, especially long term conference members.

URI should quit bitching about Fordham bringing URI basketball down. We should be responsible for our own past, present and future.

Fordham is not keeping us from attaining the field of 68. Plenty of reasons why we are not close to making the Field but Fordham is way down the list.
Totally get the sentiment and I also believe control what you can control.

That being said it truthfully does bring down the league, they’re legitimate annual land mines that add zero value. Even if we don’t lose to them a specific year, another top 4 team can. Brings down the overall resume of the entire league
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And it never happens.

Totally get the sentiment and I also believe control what you can control.

That being said it truthfully does bring down the league, they’re legitimate annual land mines that add zero value. Even if we don’t lose to them a specific year, another top 4 team can. Brings down the overall resume of the entire league
If you wa t Fordham put because of their facilities and their lack of investing as BAR says then that makes sense to me.
It to keep bringing up the subject whenever Fordham loses then you might as well always talk about dropping the bottom dwellers.
Not long ago Duquesne was mentioned in the same breath as Fordham. New Coach has Duquense’s program moving up nicely.
LaSalle also mentioned often.
URI can’t control what happens to Fordham.
But they do represent NYC, they are a long term A-10 member, they do. Dry well in other sports like Soccer, Softball, Baseball, Women’s Basketball.....many sports that URI struggles with.
Until Hurley came along URI was not much above Fordham in mediocrity under CFL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am guessing we are a 1 bid league but with Covid u never know ??
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

reef, 2 at most.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Our Seton Hall W should age well. They are a veteran team and playing well. Should finish Top 4 in BE and be a shoo in for the tourney. That is the potential this team has, now we need to see it more consistently.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Barring a monumental collapse by either team, St Louis and Richmond should be shoe ins for the tourney.

Outside of that, I think there’s a chance for 1-2 more but really a lot of huge question marks and more of a wait and see.

VCU - record looks good but I’m skeptical. Best win is vs an overrated Memphis team

Dayton - Has solid talent but really top heavy roster. Losing Chase was probably the nail in the coffin of any hope they had

URI/SBU/DAV - I think there’s an opportunity for one of these 3 teams to “dominate” league play and sneak in. Obviously easier said than done but if all 3 of us just cannibalize each other (how it looks so far) there’s likely no bid to be had. Talent is there for each squad. Now a wait and see if anyone can put it together
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Barring a monumental collapse by either team, St Louis and Richmond should be shoe ins for the tourney.

Outside of that, I think there’s a chance for 1-2 more but really a lot of huge question marks and more of a wait and see.

VCU - record looks good but I’m skeptical. Best win is vs an overrated Memphis team

Dayton - Has solid talent but really top heavy roster. Losing Chase was probably the nail in the coffin of any hope they had

URI/SBU/DAV - I think there’s an opportunity for one of these 3 teams to “dominate” league play and sneak in. Obviously easier said than done but if all 3 of us just cannibalize each other (how it looks so far) there’s likely no bid to be had. Talent is there for each squad. Now a wait and see if anyone can put it together
Overall I agree with your assessment, It amazes me how good Richmond could of been if they didn't lose one of their top players in Sherod.

With the possible exception of Richmond or STL, I can't see any of the other teams dominating league play. Don't sleep on Duquesne or George Mason creating havoc in the conference, both return all 5 starters. Also wouldn't be surprised with UMass pulling off some upsets.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

2nd place in the A-10. 👀
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago 2nd place in the A-10. 👀
Feels good baby but I wouldn’t expect to hold it
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The first NET rankings just came out. We checked in at #79 and 4 other A10 programs were ahead of us. SLU, VCU, Bonnies, Richmond.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago The first NET rankings just came out. We checked in at #79 and 4 other A10 programs were ahead of us. SLU, VCU, Bonnies, Richmond.
Too early in the season for anyone to actually get worked up over this stuff, BUT

how is Colgate ranked 16th? They’re 1-1. NET could use a little more transparency
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago The first NET rankings just came out. We checked in at #79 and 4 other A10 programs were ahead of us. SLU, VCU, Bonnies, Richmond.
Link:
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketbal ... t-rankings