Week #18 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #18 - Games of Interest

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 4 years ago So many want to be mad!! Let it fuel you! To what? I don’t know!

He said this to a UConn reporter,

which was kind of like this, which he said after he won the A10 coach of the year.

Wonder what Dan's response would be to Cyril Langevine not being named to any of the 3 All Conference Teams of 6 players each (18 total players) or to the 5 player All Defensive Team?

Langevine ranked in the A10 Conference:
  • #2 in Rebounding
  • #3 in Blocked Shots
  • #20 in Steals
  • URI finished in 3rd place (13-5)
How #2 in Rebounding, #3 in Blocks and #20 in steals on the 3rd place team does not warrant minimum 3rd Team All Conference and All Defensive Team is beyond my comprehension.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Cyril got screwed no matter how anyone could slice it.......for defensive team....
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

His FG and FT percentages probably kept him out of the all conference teams.

But he should have been on the all defensive team without a doubt.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago His FG and FT percentages probably kept him out of the all conference teams.

But he should have been on the all defensive team without a doubt.
Russell shot 36% FG but that didn't keep him from 1st team. Scoring average and Steals were the enablers

French is a much worse FT shooter than Langevine

URI came in 3rd in the Conference.

No way Langevine should have been left off. 2nd leading rebounder.

The guy is vastly under appreciated, even by many from his own URI community.

He will be missed more than many think in 2020-21 season
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

ace wrote: 4 years ago So many want to be mad!! Let it fuel you! To what? I don’t know!

which was kind of like this, which he said after he won the A10 coach of the year.

Weird response. Who wants to be mad? Are you in his PR team?

For the record, love Danny, always will support him.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tjrams91 wrote: 4 years ago

Weird response. Who wants to be mad? Are you in his PR team?

For the record, love Danny, always will support him.
While I get Hurley beaming about Russell, just going all of the Press Row seems to praise him often, I'm more interested in how Langevine, a Senior Leader on the #3 Team in the A10 got left off all teams.

It's a disgrace to have the 2nd Leading Rebounder and 3rd in Blocked Shots to be left off the All Defensive Team. I'd say he should have been minimum 3rd Team All Conference but left off All Defensive? Incredulous, Blasphemous.

Shows how the A10 under recognizes and under appreciates it's big men.

Leaving the 6'11" Future A10 Star Big Man off the All Rookie Team is nuts. And have Lee from Davidson on All Rookie and not Soriano? Nuts

If Im picking a team to go into battle I'm wanting big men like Langevine, Soriano, French, Toppin, Tre Mitchell. 5 Guards deleted to be on the A10 1st team is absurd
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago

Looks like a DNP tonight.
He had less minutes when he played at URI. Looks like he averaged around 10PPG this season. Defense must still be his issue
Omar only hit 30% FG for the season

He averaged 3.1 ppg on the season, not 10 ppg

His minutes decreased as the season moved on. Only played 43 minutes in the last 9 games or less than 5 minutes per game

https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-baske ... verio/6287

In the Conference Championship win for Hofstra they would Drive some Rhody Fans crazy (who want a big bench to play a lot of minutes because of fatigue):

Hofstra had:
  • 3 starters play 40 minutes
  • 2 starters play 37 minutes
  • 2 subs play 3 minutes each
  • Only committed 7 total personal fouls
My mistake. I meant to say 10 minutes per game. I meant that he is doing very little and hardly playing at an even smaller school.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago Hurley is going to take UConn to a final four and I am very jealous
Just think - if we'd have invested in this PROGRAM (not just Hurley) properly in 2017 after our first NCAA appearance in 2 decades (practice facility, charter flights, assistant coaches pool) - he doesn't go to UConn, Obi Toppin comes here, we go to the Final Four this year.

Instead, we magically found those promises and funds a year too late. As we tend to do.

Instead, MEDIOCRITY! YAY!
Fake news.

Dan is the reason Obi isn’t here. He didn’t want to take the risk.

He was never going to spurn UCONN to stay at URI. Don’t believe the fairy tale.
You're probably right. There's absolutely no connection to not getting the player who wouldn't be academically eligible for a year, and the hiring of Jim Calhoun's righthand man at UConn within several weeks of each other.

The decision to go to UConn was definitely made in the two weeks between the 2018 NCAA tournament and the announcement.

It's a total coincidence that Tom Moore was hired, Jim Calhoun moonlit at URI practices, and Kevin Ollie was fired all leading up to that.

You're probably also right that there was a 0% chance if URI offered to address all of Dan's issues (not enough money to keep talented assistants like Murphy, ARD, Murray, Cox, etc, charter flights for away games, practice facility) that he would have gone to UConn anyway. It had nothing to do with the fact that UConn already had everything he wanted for URI, and the fact that even with the first NCAA appearance in 2 decades and an extra $260k per year for the next 7 years coming into the University - that they wouldn't commit all of that to build the program.

Totally wasn't a kick in the shorts for Dan to have URI essentially say "thanks for doing what we couldn't do here since before wireless internet, we're not going to give you anything else but if you keep this going maybe we'll promise to do something for the program someday."

Yup nothing to see here. We offered a great contract in 2017 that was totally equivalent to everything that Hurley did here.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just think - if we'd have invested in this PROGRAM (not just Hurley) properly in 2017 after our first NCAA appearance in 2 decades (practice facility, charter flights, assistant coaches pool) - he doesn't go to UConn, Obi Toppin comes here, we go to the Final Four this year.

Instead, we magically found those promises and funds a year too late. As we tend to do.

Instead, MEDIOCRITY! YAY!
Fake news.

Dan is the reason Obi isn’t here. He didn’t want to take the risk.

He was never going to spurn UCONN to stay at URI. Don’t believe the fairy tale.
You're probably right. There's absolutely no connection to not getting the player who wouldn't be academically eligible for a year, and the hiring of Jim Calhoun's righthand man at UConn within several weeks of each other.

The decision to go to UConn was definitely made in the two weeks between the 2018 NCAA tournament and the announcement.

It's a total coincidence that Tom Moore was hired, Jim Calhoun moonlit at URI practices, and Kevin Ollie was fired all leading up to that.

You're probably also right that there was a 0% chance if URI offered to address all of Dan's issues (not enough money to keep talented assistants like Murphy, ARD, Murray, Cox, etc, charter flights for away games, practice facility) that he would have gone to UConn anyway. It had nothing to do with the fact that UConn already had everything he wanted for URI, and the fact that even with the first NCAA appearance in 2 decades and an extra $260k per year for the next 7 years coming into the University - that they wouldn't commit all of that to build the program.

Totally wasn't a kick in the shorts for Dan to have URI essentially say "thanks for doing what we couldn't do here since before wireless internet, we're not going to give you anything else but if you keep this going maybe we'll promise to do something for the program someday."

Yup nothing to see here. We offered a great contract in 2017 that was totally equivalent to everything that Hurley did here.
you mean we have internet?
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Goodbye Xavier
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah Xavier and Stanford both horrific losses are they both on the outside looking in now ??