11/27 | Manhattan | 4:00PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/27 | Manhattan | 4:00PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I wouldn’t look too much into Shep not being there

It’s the day before Turkey Day they probably let him go and enjoy the holiday with family??
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago We were cruising and would have easily covered, but the ref went after Fatts. I hope that guy’s turkey catches on fire and burns his house down tomorrow.
Was Evon Burroughs. Not the first time he messed things up...

https://www.letmebfrankblog.com/2018/02 ... lown-call/
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Haven’t seen Sheppard on/around the bench today.
Sheppard was posting on Instagram driving in Virginia while the game was going on....not a good sign....
What’s not a good sign?

He was in Jamaica.

He was granted permission.
Oh you know that, sorry.

I guess I think it’s odd that I am sitting in Ohio with enough interest to be watching the game on my IPad, but he’s posting driving around while the game is on.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Just got back from the game, imho we would’ve won by at least 15 if the refs didn’t make the games about themselves and were butthurt and acted like a high school teenager.....
I was sitting on the side this time and they also missed an obvious backcourt vialation when Manhattan volleyball lobbed it into the backcourt

I take back my comment about the refs vs Nicholls State but these refs my god thank god there are people/ security guarding the basketball floor cuz they would’ve been greated by some unhappy fans

Just remembered this as well the game around Thanksgiving last year fatts got ejected for a soft Flagrant 2 foul
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Didn’t cover. +23 from the line. Thank God for being the home team.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Dino611 wrote: 4 years ago Just got back from the game, imho we would’ve won by at least 15 if the refs didn’t make the games about themselves and were butthurt and acted like a high school teenager.....
I was sitting on the side this time and they also missed an obvious backcourt vialation when Manhattan volleyball lobbed it into the backcourt

I take back my comment about the refs vs Nicholls State but these refs my god thank god there are people/ security guarding the basketball floor cuz they would’ve been greated by some unhappy fans

Just remembered this as well the game around Thanksgiving last year fatts got ejected for a soft Flagrant 2 foul
That wasn’t a backcourt violation. Shot hit the rim. Rebounder didn’t control the rebound and throw it to the backcourt which would have been a violation. He slapped it to the backcourt without having maintained possession. No violation.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Toppin was holding his knee on the bench...and it didn't look good. Any updates?
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
Dino611 wrote: 4 years ago Just got back from the game, imho we would’ve won by at least 15 if the refs didn’t make the games about themselves and were butthurt and acted like a high school teenager.....

That wasn’t a backcourt violation. Shot hit the rim. Rebounder didn’t control the rebound and throw it to the backcourt which would have been a violation. He slapped it to the backcourt without having maintained possession. No violation.
Thanks for clarifying
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Ref was soft. We won the game. Let’s move on.

Need Cyril and Harris to have a big game against WV. What game does Walker return? Think his athleticism and length will help. This team looks tired toward the end of games. Too early for that. Let’s get fired up! Big week with WV and PC on the menu. Let’s eat.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Last edited by SandorClegane 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I would like to point out the line got to +12.

Very conspicuously every time Rhody got to 10/11 points up, some calls kept happening down the stretch.

Just saying. I shouldn’t be losing my voice for the Manhattan game. That was so terrible it had to be deliberate.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

getting home from the game. From what i saw.

Jermaine - played well in the beginning of the 1st, and then had a couple soft off. moves and a turnover towards the end of the 1st. He was serviceable with Cyril having a slight undisclosed injury per post game.

Fatts - did not deserve any of those techs and shame on evon burroughs for being saawft

jefe - took over once fatts was "ejected" love that mid range jumper

martin - I feel he has the temperament of a Jason Tatum and gets very easily discouraged when its not his best game.

Tate - I feel like did not contribute much tonight in or out of the box score (have not checked the box score yet)

Overall a win is a win. i was surprised at how aggressive Manhattan was and their constant rotation of players. i have to say one player that stood out to me was pauly paulicap he is a player you hate when playing against. but, love if he's on your team. For those asking Id say there was 3500 to 4k in attendance tonight.

EDIT** a couple thoughts to add we need another ball handler (it showed when fatts was out). Turnovers were an issue though i feel that Manhattan could have been called for a foul on ball handlers every time down the court
Last edited by jaywin86 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Sheppard was posting on Instagram driving in Virginia while the game was going on....not a good sign....
What’s not a good sign?

He was in Jamaica.

He was granted permission.
Oh you know that, sorry.

I guess I think it’s odd that I am sitting in Ohio with enough interest to be watching the game on my IPad, but he’s posting driving around while the game is on.
To each his own.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't know if it was matchups or what, but Dana played very little tonight. The two frosh saw a lot more minutes than Dana did.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Obviously, we’re not covering but we’re still winning. That’s a good sign. Rising to the level of our opposition.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Posted attendance was 4434. It did not look like there were that many people in the building
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I believe a second technical is an automatic ejection . Overall a poorly officiated game. The ref should have ignored Russell's comment . They
sure let enough contact go on both teams and then at the end Manhattan was trying to foul and they still didn't call the foul until Martin ended up on the floor.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago I would like to point out the line got to +12.

Very conspicuously every time Rhody got to 10/11 points up, some calls kept happening down the stretch.

Just saying. I shouldn’t be losing my voice for the Manhattan game. That was so terrible it had to be deliberate.
This^^^^^ 100% too suspicious
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4,434 is a good number considering students for the most part have gone home for Thanksgiving.
Seems a higher number than most posters here expected given the 4pm start time

4,265 were at the Boston College Game vs St Louis at 2 pm today. How would you like to be St Louis having to head home tonight?
Very solid win for SLU over a P5 team and excellent games from French and Goodwin.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We only made one 3-point shot and that was by Dowtin with 6:08 left in the game
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Posted attendance was 4434. It did not look like there were that many people in the building
I was there. It looked empty. I would say under 4K for sure. I hope they play better than this on Sunday. I thought the first half was terrible by both teams to watch. One of those games you take the win and move on, but they haven’t played great ball going into the WVU game. The A-10 games against the lower end and middle teams in the conference may be tougher than we think.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago We only made one 3-point shot and that was by Dowtin with 6:08 left in the game
I hear ya, the outside shooting is still pretty bad. I will say, I was happy to only see 9 attempts though, last year they would have kept chucking them up
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Posted attendance was 4434. It did not look like there were that many people in the building
I was there. It looked empty. I would say under 4K for sure. I hope they play better than this on Sunday. I thought the first half was terrible by both teams to watch. One of those games you take the win and move on, but they haven’t played great ball going into the WVU game. The A-10 games against the lower end and middle teams in the conference may be tougher than we think.
I agree on the middle teams, especially how the A10 has looked collectively in OOC
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I don't know if it was matchups or what, but Dana played very little tonight. The two frosh saw a lot more minutes than Dana did.
Dana Tate checked out after being removed in 2nd half.. he was pissed off.. hid under his hood, did not join in on team Huddle's.. obviously upset. Hope this doesn't become an issue.. like the chemistry of this team.. don't need any bad apples.. hurt us at beginning of last year.. earn your minutes Dana.. start becoming more consistent and you will get your minutes.. no repeats.. I'm hoarse too blue Man.. what a joke in fatts techs..
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago We were cruising and would have easily covered, but the ref went after Fatts. I hope that guy’s turkey catches on fire and burns his house down tomorrow.
Harsh, but I second this.

Fatts would’ve scored 30+ tonight.
Exactly the kind of game the NCAA should take a look at. Home team looking like easy cover and then...

Anybody down in the south end corner can report what Russell said on the first tech?

Decent crowd for the weird tip time. I can’t think of anything positive we got from this game other than a W and no apparent injuries (tho Toppin was limping)

Well a win is certainly good, next four games we see who we are.

Happy Thanksgiving 🦃 all!
Yes. It looked to me that Fatts was upset about 2 non-calls. He had lost the ball driving down the lane on consecutive trips down the floor and no calls were made.

He was clapping in the direction of the Ref after the 2nd drive down the lane and resulting steal. That’s when the Ref called the First Technical Foul.

Later there was a Time Out called and Fatts was clapping as he frequently does to rev up the crowd. Only difference he walked in front of the same Ref that had just called the Tech on him. I’m not sure what he said but it appeared they were making eye contact during this clapping. That’s when the Ref tossed him.

It didn’t seem to me that Fatts appeared all that upset. Maybe others can share their thoughts on his reactions. I’d love to hear Fatts and David Cox versions of the non calls on Fatts in the lane which were right in front of the URI Bench as well as on the two Technical Fouls. I taped the game and plan to rewatch this portion of the action.

Good thing is the Technical Fouls didn’t matter except for those who bet Rhody.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Yeah, this was the first one.

Then i guess he won't take kindly to being called a sorry-ass f@!king pussy.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I don't know if it was matchups or what, but Dana played very little tonight. The two frosh saw a lot more minutes than Dana did.
Dana Tate checked out after being removed in 2nd half.. he was pissed off.. hid under his hood, did not join in on team Huddle's.. obviously upset. Hope this doesn't become an issue.. like the chemistry of this team.. don't need any bad apples.. hurt us at beginning of last year.. earn your minutes Dana.. start becoming more consistent and you will get your minutes.. no repeats.. I'm hoarse too blue Man.. what a joke in fatts techs..
Well, he did average more than 20 minutes in each of the last three games and he scored a total of 8 points. Today he had 9 minutes and zero points.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......DiSano on radio post game said he and the others in press row saw Fatts say nothing, on the second T, and was among the worst calls he has seen in 12 years following A-10 hoops....an often neutral/defender of ref calls, that second T was awful, like the Coach Cox composure, he did clearly and repeatedly express his disagreement.....added; and rather than the Hurleyesq type meltdown, I am proud of the way Coach Cox handled himself in this situation.....
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Game story and notes from Manhattan.

PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......DiSano on radio post game said he and the others in press row saw Fatts say nothing, on the second T, and was among the worst calls he has seen in 12 years following A-10 hoops....an often neutral/defender of ref calls, that second T was awful, like the Coach Cox composure, he did clearly and repeatedly express his disagreement.....
Wow, that confirms my suspicion. Is there any link to the post game?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
NHRamFan wrote: 4 years ago The tbd v. tbd game at 11pm will be "must see TV!" :lol:
maybe...I think that's still tbd....
I would expect you to be at that game 😂
Note: Looks like the TBD vs TBD game has been moved from 11PM to 9PM.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I personally would’ve loved to have seen a Hurley meltdown to that 2nd tech.

Not only would he be following fatts down the tunnel, I seriously wonder if Danny would’ve swung on a ref in that situation.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We took 39 free throws and they took 10 and 4 of those were on techs

Burroughs should be repremended for that 2nd Tech on Fatts that was personal
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

IMO it was a good lesson for Fatts to learn. Never know what a ref is going to do so you have to be careful. Not saying it was a good T but these things can happen. Better that game than PC or whatever.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago I personally would’ve loved to have seen a Hurley meltdown to that 2nd tech.

Not only would he be following fatts down the tunnel, I seriously wonder if Danny would’ve swung on a ref in that situation.
A Hurley meltdown? He’d look like Teller compared to a St. Daddy-o the Great meltdown.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Be careful in Boston if you come into contact with its police. The ref, Evon Burroughs, that overreacted and ejected Fatts yesterday is a Boston Police Officer. One can only imagine how an overly sensitive type such as he might handle an actual critical and dangerous situation.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Be careful in Boston if you come into contact with its police. The ref, Evon Burroughs, that overreacted and ejected Fatts yesterday is a Boston Police Officer. One can only imagine how an overly sensitive type such as he might handle an actual critical and dangerous situation.
This actually explains so much...
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Be careful in Boston if you come into contact with its police. The ref, Evon Burroughs, that overreacted and ejected Fatts yesterday is a Boston Police Officer. One can only imagine how an overly sensitive type such as he might handle an actual critical and dangerous situation.
This actually explains so much...
Been on this too:
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I think there is a type of ref, like there is a type of cop and a type of school administrator or boss, that is in it solely for the thrill of people having to listen to them and do what they say by virtue of their having signed up for a certain job. They make calls solely to show they are the ones with the whistle, etc. Their authority is not earned in any real sense but you damn sure are going to respect it. I don’t really appreciate that way of being in the world.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hopefully we don’t get Burroughs again this year ??? How many times have we had him in the past doing our games ??
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Catching up on posts after holiday activities. I was at the game. While not a great crowd, it was better than I expected given the fact that there were no classes and almost all students left campus by Tuesday. Naturally, anyone traveling for Thanksgiving couldn’t have made it.

Observations:

Tate picked up a foul almost as soon as he entered the game and threw the ball away soon after. That wouldn’t seem enough to be put in the doghouse, though. As posted earlier, maybe it’s a cumulative thing because of the prior couple of games.

Harris: I’ve made multiple posts in the Harris thread. I’ll just add here that he had his moments on defense, but he needs to become more of a factor on offense. He has a nice touch from the line, so if he can go up strong and at least get fouled, that should help his game. This touch should translate into some success from the 10 -15 foot range, too.

Fatts: he’s the only one with the quickness to get his own shot against better competition. He needs to continue to drive. If he gets fouled, he’s shooting free throws well. If he misses on his drives and draws a second defender to try to block his shot, that’s when a teammate needs to follow for a putback. If he stays with the driving and midrange game and limits his three point attempts to no more than four per game, he’ll have an excellent season.

Jeff: I thought he was more aggressive on offense. I like that they passed the ball to him at the top of the key. I don’t remember this set being used much in the past. I thought he did some damage there. He had some touch defensive rebounds in the first half. I was sitting court side at that end in the first half. (I guess I shouldn’t have moved for the second half. I would have been pretty close to the Fatts incident.)

It looked like an ankle for Toppin. He got a bit out of control and drove into traffic. I assume he stepped on someone’s foot. Hopefully it’s a 24 or 48 hour thing.

Ugly game: lots of first half turnovers for both teams. I sort of expected it: tough slot for a game.

Bottom line, though: I feel the lack of three point shooting will hold Rhody back this season. Watching parts of a bunch of games some last weekend, it seems every other team (except PC) has a decent, consistent three point shooter: some have two. I was thinking midway through the second half that the Ramette and chearleader with the bag of tee shirts would be taking them back from the court full after the game.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago
It looked like an ankle for Toppin. He got a bit out of control and drove into traffic. I assume he stepped on someone’s foot. Hopefully it’s a 24 or 48 hour thing.
It looked like an ankle on the court, but when he was sitting on the bench, right in front of us...he was holding his knee...and he seemed pretty distraught...anyone heard anything?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Looks OK to me.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

awesome!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

During the Maui tourney, one of the announcers commented that no team without a semblance of good outside shooting, especially beyond the arc, can expect to be a NCAAT team. He wasn't talking about URI, but he might have as well been. Watched the replay of game. Ugly game and was struck by the contrast in play between a scrappy, muscular Manhattan team and the lanky, blasé Rams. 1-9 on trey shooting, 19 turnovers, two technicals, no matter how unwarranted, is not a stat line of a NCAAT team and further replications of that line will seal that verdict.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Thanks Obie....when you say these things, everyone here is OK with it....but when I say it [yes I say it too often oh well] I'm a gloom and doomer.

It's reality, but some just don't want to hear it, or better yet believe it.

Maybe things will get better, especially when Walker is eligible, but all we can do is hope.

Our play so far puts us as a fringe NIT team. Have we put an entire game together......no

Beating the teams we're "supposed" to beat is just wonderful [sarcasm] but just how impressive have we been doing so?

Win at least 2 out of the next 3, and maybe the tune will change.