11/6 | Bryant Bulldogs | 7:00PM

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Re: 11/6 | Bryant Bulldogs | 7:00PM

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

3 point shooting and strong defense is the formula to success. Both were on tonight. Looks like the guys have more freedom to shoot the 3. Allows them to shoot with confidence.

Attendance may have been lower than what it should be, but the atmosphere was loud. Students are the key to a strong home court advantage and they were great tonight.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 5 years ago I've seen enough from Aris Tsourgiannis. Blake Vedder-type performance out there tonight. Bryant 3rd stringers were manhandling him.
I really don't know why they used a scholarship on him. My guess is they needed a practice player and there is an understanding that he will only be here or using the scholarship for this season and it will hopefully be going to McLeod next year. He isn't close to an A-10 player.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I loved what I saw out of the guys tonight!

Poor Aris....he may just have a hard time understanding that college ball isnt as physical as European basketball.
Idk...

Tertsea wasnt that much better. He doesn't jump to get rebounds he just puts his hands up.
Nice drive to the hoop though.

Preston was the most encouraging thing out there.
He looked way better than I would've thought.
If we get that from him and the freshman keep developing.
We are going to be just fine.
I liked what I saw from all the freshmen.

They ain't dukes freshmen... but we can compete for the A-10 title again I think.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I know people scoffed at the idea of playing Bryant, but tonight channel 10 led their sports report with our highlights instead of PC. This is a game we should have on our schedule every year. We're going to play opponents of that caliber every year, we might as well take the extra press and money that comes from it being Bryant
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago I know people scoffed at the idea of playing Bryant, but tonight channel 10 led their sports report with our highlights instead of PC. This is a game we should have on our schedule every year. We're going to play opponents of that caliber every year, we might as well take the extra press and money that comes from it being Bryant
What extra money do we get from playing Bryant?
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Agree with summary of game in everyone’s post.
Biggest surprises JV, Thompson & Preston. Thompson could be key to this year.
Preston played well defensively. Could it be that the impact of being his Sr year flips the switch and he becomes a key player off the bench.
Harris and Martin are going to get the most minutes of the Fr. I would like to see Dana close to their minutes.
Omar will get the least mins of the Fr.

Fatts seemed to force his shot. Some long threes. I think he needs to get others involved more. He needs to improve on the 6-15 FG.
Jeff is a star. He was responsible for getting Cyril on track with three nice assist. 7-11 FG led to an effortless 17 points.
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

They brought more fans than alot of other teams bring, they rented out one of the pubs, and I assume it cost less to bring them in because their costs were less to play than other buy games
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago I know people scoffed at the idea of playing Bryant, but tonight channel 10 led their sports report with our highlights instead of PC. This is a game we should have on our schedule every year. We're going to play opponents of that caliber every year, we might as well take the extra press and money that comes from it being Bryant
Been saying this since Bryant went D1. We are always going to schedule a dismal team of Bryant’s caliber. Might as well be Bryant.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice blowout win

Jeff 17 9 7 knows how to fill a stat sheet

Love the way Preston played
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago They brought more fans than alot of other teams bring, they rented out one of the pubs, and I assume it cost less to bring them in because their costs were less to play than other buy games
Bryant only to takes buy games and attendance was down from recent openers.

No extra income is worth having a 300+ RPI game on the schedule
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Geez, if I knew JV was returning I would have added a couple Ws to my prediction.
Slava Ukraini!
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago
section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years agoJV is back!!
......he must have regoniated his deal.....
Guess we know where the NCAA shares are going....
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, thanks for the warm reception guys. I honestly had absolutely no intention of coming back after I walked away last year, but the amount of fans who just wouldn't drop the issue over these past 9 months was unexpected and overwhelming. The sentiment was apparently echoed by Coach Cox & staff and Rhody came to me over the summer to ask me to reconsider and return with a partner. At that point I decided my urge to sit in the stands and drink beer could wait a little bit longer. Happy to be back home.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago They brought more fans than alot of other teams bring, they rented out one of the pubs, and I assume it cost less to bring them in because their costs were less to play than other buy games

I saw very few Bryant fans. Had thought they would have more given their close proximity.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

There weren't more Bryant fans than when we play St. Joes and their fans show up. Them renting out the pub was an inconvenience for the rest of us. I like the way URI looked. Christion Thompson played like himself.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
Been saying this since Bryant went D1. We are always going to schedule a dismal team of Bryant’s caliber. Might as well be Bryant.
The scoffing happened when 1. They had a head coach who said they wouldn't play URI for less than $80,000 because URI wasn't a national program and 2. URI wasn't very good and the chances of actually losing to Bryant were much higher.

My guess is the 2 camps consist now of let's play Bryant every damn year and who the hell cares if we play Bryant or not.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago Geez, if I knew JV was returning I would have added a couple Ws to my prediction.
Seriously truth

I wanna redo!!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

WiFi double
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Anyone have a free link to a replay?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I don't think URI needs to play Bryant every year. There is no long shared history as with the other state teams and the Bulldogs typically have a bad RPI (now NET) which hurts SOS. I am ok playing them on occasion. The ideal scenario for state hoops fans would be to see Bryant once a season either play PC or URI most years. It gives Bryant some local press and won't hurt PC or URI with a guaranteed annual albatross game.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago Anyone have a free link to a replay?
No free replay unless you are within your 7 day free ESPN+ trial period. Just $5 a month, or 16 cents a day. The video quality both live and on demand is great. Watched it while getting ready this morning.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago I don't think URI needs to play Bryant every year. There is no long shared history as with the other state teams and the Bulldogs typically have a bad RPI (now NET) which hurts SOS. I am ok playing them on occasion. The ideal scenario for state hoops fans would be to see Bryant once a season either play PC or URI most years. It gives Bryant some local press and won't hurt PC or URI with a guaranteed annual albatross game.
I guess the point most people are making is, if they are going to play someone with that low of an RPI (or whatever) anyway, then why not make it Bryant. That said, if there's someone better they can play, then do that instead.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Can you get replay of this game through yurview?
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago Can you get replay of this game through yurview?
Not sure, I know you can on ESPN+
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ESPN now holds the digital media rights to stream A10 basketball. Unless you think ESPN is going to allow another company to infringe on the rights they paid for and offer a free stream of their product, I wouldn't hold your breath and just fork over the $5/month.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Kinda sucks to pay. Also kinda cool to have a reliable stream for $5/month. It is not as if a college basketball game is a free thing.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago

I saw very few Bryant fans. Had thought they would have more given their close proximity.
There was a handful of Bryant fans behind their bench and maybe a few more scattered out that I saw. I've seen more VCU fans up here than I saw Bryant fans last night. This is exactly what I expected from their fan base. Also, the pub that they "rented out" had maybe ~10 people in it when I walked by. They would have been better off renting a suite (maybe they also did that, but still).
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago

There was a handful of Bryant fans behind their bench and maybe a few more scattered out that I saw. I've seen more VCU fans up here than I saw Bryant fans last night. This is exactly what I expected from their fan base. Also, the pub that they "rented out" had maybe ~10 people in it when I walked by. They would have been better off renting a suite (maybe they also did that, but still).
For that many people, a suite would possibly have made more sense depending on its cost. Most all the suites however looked to be occupied last night.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Did Cox or anyone address Jermaine Harris? He came off the floor after shooting free throws at the end of the second half grabbing his knee/quad. The trainer immediately went over to him on the bench and was working on him. He was also on the exercise bike for a while too. It looked like he may have been cramping up (I hope).
Common sense is not common.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 5 years ago Did Cox or anyone address Jermaine Harris? He came off the floor after shooting free throws at the end of the second half grabbing his knee/quad. The trainer immediately went over to him on the bench and was working on him. He was also on the exercise bike for a while too. It looked like he may have been cramping up (I hope).
Trainer was working on him right in front of us, that's exactly what it looked like.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

I made a point of it after the game when I got home to tape the 1 minute of Tsourgiannis playing time so I could relive the 4 fouls in about 75 seconds. I'm going to be telling my grandkids about this performance. :lol:
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

spookydog wrote: 5 years ago
I made a point of it after the game when I got home to tape the 1 minute of Tsourgiannis playing time so I could relive the 4 fouls in about 75 seconds. I'm going to be telling my grandkids about this performance. :lol:

LMAO!! One for the ages. :lol: :lol:
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

It was truly incredible. I thought Cox was going to leave him in. After one of the fouls(maybe the 3rd or 4th) Omar was basically trying to coach him on the court.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 5 years ago Did Cox or anyone address Jermaine Harris? He came off the floor after shooting free throws at the end of the second half grabbing his knee/quad. The trainer immediately went over to him on the bench and was working on him. He was also on the exercise bike for a while too. It looked like he may have been cramping up (I hope).
......not that I heard, or was aware, of course we get zero post game Coach comments or even last nite cuts from the post game Q and A presser.....I thought that was a Hurley thing, I know there are other concerns, but this always has bugged me.......I guess it is too much to have Steve/Don take a mic into the presser, then do their paid for wrap up stuff......No?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 5 years ago I've seen enough from Aris Tsourgiannis. Blake Vedder-type performance out there tonight. Bryant 3rd stringers were manhandling him.
Word now that is none of the coaches saw him play before they offered.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Feels like some sort of 'deal' was made - come here for a year, get a boot camp in US basketball and give us a warm body for practice. Then we'll send you back. One can only hope.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

......not that I heard, or was aware, of course we get zero post game Coach comments or even last nite cuts from the post game Q and A presser.....I thought that was a Hurley thing, I know there are other concerns, but this always has bugged me.......I guess it is too much to have Steve/Don take a mic into the presser, then do their paid for wrap up stuff......No?
Steve McDonald said that the press conferences will be aired during the postgame show starting with the next home game.

Here’s a link to last nights press conference:
Common sense is not common.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Is 4 fouls in one minute of play an NCAA record?
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

It might not be a record but it is sure embarrassing. Against PACE he had
2 fouls in 2 minutes, so he is definitely trending up. If he really tries hard
he could have 5 fouls in 30 seconds. That would have to be a NCAA record.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 5 years ago
Steve McDonald said that the press conferences will be aired during the postgame show starting with the next home game.

Here’s a link to last nights press conference:

......press conferences aired during post game starting next game......wonder if that will be live or selected taped cuts......hope the former....

Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Feels like some sort of 'deal' was made - come here for a year, get a boot camp in US basketball and give us a warm body for practice. Then we'll send you back. One can only hope.
It's kinda sad. Guy seems to almost be a distraction. Probably could have found an adequate warm body for practice from the student body?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

They showed EZ Buckets doing his thing at the beginning of the broadcast that was great
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Game pics-

https://sports.photobyfriday.com/Sports ... RI-Bryant/

I know it’s just the angle and perspective, but this picture made me laugh-

https://sports.photobyfriday.com/Sports ... -DgRtgdw/A
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

For that many people, a suite would possibly have made more sense depending on its cost. Most all the suites however looked to be occupied last night.
They rented the north pub for a pregame alumni reception and also had 2 suites rented upstairs.
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

The man is a BONAFIDE SCRUB
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

GansettSummer wrote: 5 years ago

They rented the north pub for a pregame alumni reception and also had 2 suites rented upstairs.
Raucous fan base for sure.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Do we have a # for the attendance?