‘19 LA SG - Gregory Hammond (URI ---> UMass-Lowell)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: ‘19 LA SG - Gregory Hammond (URI Verbal Commit)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Last year we had three 4* players. The year before we had 4. This year we have 1.
What website are you using that shows you all of these four star players?
on 247 the only four star player last year was Harris. As for your year before comment it doesn't make since - Fatts was the only Fr. He was a three star rated #198. So Hurley must have sucked two years ago only getting one 3 star player :)
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I really like this kid. Did you see the dunk at the 2:58 mark?

Fun fact, they played Dahmir’s K-Low team in Vegas and beat them 62-53.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago I really like this kid. Did you see the dunk at the 2:58 mark?

Rewatching that game now. I watched it live but was watching Bishop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago I really like this kid. Did you see the dunk at the 2:58 mark?

Rewatching that game now. I watched it live but was watching Bishop.
Let me know Bishop and Hammond’s point total. Can you share the link to the game?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I had the wrong game. There isn’t a video of Louisiana Supreme (Hammond) vs K Low (Bishop).
The 62-53 game was Team Rio vs K Low.

There aren’t links to share. I pay for a subscription to Baller.TV.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

https://www.prepcircuit.com/roster_players/24380274

His AAU Stats and game log. Shot 26% from 3. Only a 10 game sample.

Bishops for comparison
https://www.prepcircuit.com/roster_play ... son=487316
33%
Last edited by RIFan 5 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

He has one sweet looking jumper, much better than bishop. He also looks more polished and under control than dahmir. dahmir was a bit quicker, but all in all, I don't see any drop off from Bishop. Excited to see this guy play for Rhody.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Last year we had three 4* players. The year before we had 4. This year we have 1.
on 247 the only four star player last year was Harris. As for your year before comment it doesn't make since - Fatts was the only Fr. He was a three star rated #198. So Hurley must have sucked two years ago only getting one 3 star player :)
I’m talking about4* players on the roster.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
What does that even mean?
Do you mean current players that were rated 4 star as recruits? What is your source of information that shows these players as 4 star rated?

Or are you calling some current players 4 star based on your opnion of how they have played?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago

What does that even mean?
Do you mean current players that were rated 4 star as recruits? What is your source of information that shows these players as 4 star rated?

Or are you calling some current players 4 star based on your opnion of how they have played?
He doesn’t even know. He’s just talking out his ass to make a non existent point.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I believe what Blue is saying is last year we had Terrell, EC and Stan who were all 4 star recruits coming out of HS. The year before he added Kuran to that mix to make 4 active on the roster. I think that’s what he means.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Which means that since Harris, Dan hadn't landed a 4 star player since Jared. So, I'm not sure what his point is.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Which means that since Harris, Dan hadn't landed a 4 star player since Jared. So, I'm not sure what his point is.
Exactly, meanwhile, Cox’s first year, he has us the #1 2019 class in the A10.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In my opinion we got a steal here. Hammond will have an excellent Senior Year.
Thing that Hurley in his last few years and now Cox bring to the table are early verbals. These players can blow up their senior year and we already have commitments. Contrast to the predecessor and we were often signing relative unknowns in April and May of their Senior years
We have come a long way

https://www.nola.com/expo/erry-2018/03/ ... llmet.html
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Stan and KI were good players but they are great examples for the guess work in the ratings. They were both ranked in the Top 50 yet they were the 3rd or 4th best players on an A10 team. When they came to URI they had both been moved to the bench at Memphis and Indiana.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

KI I believe was as high as a Top 5 prospect at one point in high school. Agree about the flaws in rankings, generally it’s a lot of second hand hype and small sample sizes which make up the rankings.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bishop made his big jump from his AAU performance after his Soph year. He sat the bench his HS Soph year for Imhotep. That is about 5 tournaments.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Which means that since Harris, Dan hadn't landed a 4 star player since Jared. So, I'm not sure what his point is.
Recruiting goes in waves at a program like URI. First, they could sell playing time- TJ was the lone holdover after the 3 seniors graduated. Building from scratch is an understatement. Then, the program had to show it was legit.

Now, they’re recruiting based on program improvements, future teammates who have had success, conference championships, and tournament wins. It should be high right now. These guys may be great, but I don’t think it’s crazy if someone wants to take a wait and see approach to a class of players, as of right now, for whom URI was their best offer. But someone suggested that and, boom... capes out!

Is any A10 team going to have a top 100 player from the 19 class? There’s usually a few every year. Big step down if not.

And blueram is definitely not saying these things as a defense of Hurley. Don’t get it twisted. He’s just cranky about almost everything.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago KI I believe was as high as a Top 5 prospect at one point in high school. Agree about the flaws in rankings, generally it’s a lot of second hand hype and small sample sizes which make up the rankings.
And it seems like some systems rate on where a player is at present and others rate on potential.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I’m just saying we had 3 or 4 4* players take us to the dance the last two years. Let’s see how we do. N
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
Recruiting goes in waves at a program like URI. First, they could sell playing time- TJ was the lone holdover after the 3 seniors graduated. Building from scratch is an understatement. Then, the program had to show it was legit. Now, they’re recruiting based on program improvements, future teammates who have had success, conference championships, and tournament wins. It should be high right now. These guys may be great, but I don’t think it’s crazy if someone wants to take a wait and see approach to a class of players, as of right now, for whom URI was their best offer. Is any A10 team going to have a top 100 player from the 19 class? There’s usually a few every year. Big step down if not.

And blueram is definitely not saying these things as a defense of Hurley. Don’t get it twisted. He’s just cranky about almost everything.
I don’t think anyone thought it was about Dan. Dan was brought up to show blueram that his comment was off base. Playing time can still be a key draw for Rhody. That was one of the reasons for the drop off in the recruiting class after Jared and Jarvis. It was also one of the reasons people felt this year might be a drop off.

It seems so obvious when you look at the top three players on this year’s team - Jeff, Cyril & Fatts were not highly ranked - that you can’t judge a class before their HS Sr year. They are expected to lead a great URI team in 2019-20. Others have said the best time to judge a recruiting class is at the completion of their college Soph year.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I’m just saying we had 3 or 4 4* players take us to the dance the last two years. Let’s see how we do. N
I am saying that KI and Stan were not 4 stars when they transferred to URI. They were backup players on Memphis and Indiana.
I would argue that 3 stars Hassan Martin and Jeff Dowtin had more impact on Rhody dancing than KI and Stan. I liked KI and Stan so this isn’t intended to be a negative about them. Stan was very limited offensively to be rated in the Top 50 coming out of HS.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Be interesting to see who turns out better between Hammond and Bishop

The game I saw Bishop he hit his first 3 then didn't do anything the rest of the game

As far as the staff I think they are doing great targeting their priorities then always having fallback options

The future is definitely bright
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I’m just saying we had 3 or 4 4* players take us to the dance the last two years. Let’s see how we do. N
I am saying that KI and Stan were not 4 stars when they transferred to URI. They were backup players on Memphis and Indiana.
I would argue that 3 stars Hassan Martin and Jeff Dowtin had more impact on Rhody dancing than KI and Stan. I liked KI and Stan so this isn’t intended to be a negative about them. Stan was very limited offensively to be rated in the Top 50 coming out of HS.
When people talk about players having been 3 star, 4 star, 5 star it is always associated with their High School ranking. The rankings never change, even if you transfer later on. Of course they change up, or down or stay the same once their College Career begins.
But bottom line, EC, SR, KI and JT were all 4 star rated by ESPN
Iverson 2013 Ranked #33
Robinson 2013 Ranked #99
Mathews was not ranked in ESPN Top 100
Terrell 2014 Ranked #79

All 4 guys played important roles in the NCAA Tournament games versus Creighton and Oregon - when it really counts (no David Price jokes here)
In the huge Creighton win Iverson was solid with 17 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists in 34 minutes. EC had 16 points on 3-12 FGs, JT had 12 points on 3-8 FGs and Robinson 2 points in 18 minutes but solid defense
In the Oregon game Robinson has one for the ages. Stanford was unconscious as he kept URI in the game with Martin severely hampered by injury. Robinson was 10-12 FGs with 2 rebounds in only 22 minutes.

I think the point is that these were all 4 highly regarded players in HS, all 4 stars and they all had good careers at URI albeit Iverson and Robinson has shorter careers here due to transfer.
Martin was the equivalent of a 4 star player
So we had 4 players ranked in HS as 4 star all playing together in their final year and almost made the Sweet 16. Shows the level of talent that is necessary to achieve such levels of success - one could argue.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
When people talk about players having been 3 star, 4 star, 5 star it is always associated with their High School ranking. The rankings never change, even if you transfer later on. Of course they change up, or down or stay the same once their College Career begins.
But bottom line, EC, SR, KI and JT were all 4 star rated by ESPN
Iverson 2013 Ranked #33
Robinson 2013 Ranked #99
Mathews was not ranked in ESPN Top 100
Terrell 2014 Ranked #79

All 4 guys played important roles in the NCAA Tournament games versus Creighton and Oregon - when it really counts (no David Price jokes here)
In the huge Creighton win Iverson was solid with 17 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists in 34 minutes. EC had 16 points on 3-12 FGs, JT had 12 points on 3-8 FGs and Robinson 2 points in 18 minutes but solid defense
In the Oregon game Robinson has one for the ages. Stanford was unconscious as he kept URI in the game with Martin severely hampered by injury. Robinson was 10-12 FGs with 2 rebounds in only 22 minutes.

I think the point is that these were all 4 highly regarded players in HS, all 4 stars and they all had good careers at URI albeit Iverson and Robinson has shorter careers here due to transfer.
Martin was the equivalent of a 4 star player
So we had 4 players ranked in HS as 4 star all playing together in their final year and almost made the Sweet 16. Shows the level of talent that is necessary to achieve such levels of success - one could argue.
Anybody who has been following URI basketball knows rankings aren’t everything, we only have to look at Jeff Dowtin and Cyril Langevine (273 and 326 according to 247 composite rating) to show is that. Two players that have vastly outperformed their rankings.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

With the player development history that David Cox has, no worries.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Why did most people here want Bishop so bad if you guys think Hammond is better?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Why did most people here want Bishop so bad if you guys think Hammond is better?
I think most people feel Bishop is a better overall player but that Hammond is a better outside shooter.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Hammond wasn’t an option when we were recruiting Bishop because all our chips were in the Bishop basket.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Hammond wasn’t an option when we were recruiting Bishop because all our chips were in the Bishop basket.
In your opinion, did we dodge a bullet then in missing out on Bishop because we ended up with the better player in the end?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Hammond wasn’t an option when we were recruiting Bishop because all our chips were in the Bishop basket.
In your opinion, did we dodge a bullet then in missing out on Bishop because we ended up with the better player in the end?
I don’t know if I would go that far, because Bishop is a good player and is going to have a good career at Xavier. What I would say is that landing Hammond minimized the impact of missing out on our #1 target, because he is going to be a very good player at URI. As of now, Bishop is the higher rated player but it isn’t inconceivable that Hammond could be as good (or even better) of a player at URI as Bishop would have been. As far as the drop off from Bishop to Hammond, it is not nearly as much as the drop off from an option A to an option B could have been.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago

I don’t know if I would go that far, because Bishop is a good player and is going to have a good career at Xavier. What I would say is that landing Hammond minimized the impact of missing out on our #1 target, because he is going to be a very good player at URI. As of now, Bishop is the higher rated player but it isn’t inconceivable that Hammond could be as good (or even better) of a player at URI as Bishop would have been. As far as the drop off from Bishop to Hammond, it is not nearly as much as the drop off from an option A to an option B could have been.
I think it makes us feel better as a whole to say that we got Hammond and that there will be no drop off. I think in the case of Hammond he looks to be an underrated player similiar to Martin. There doesn’t appear to be as much of a fall as there is if we don’t get a Walker with his replacement. I like Hammond the best in this class and think as others mentioned that he could end up similiar to Bishop on his career path. Great get after losing Bishop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Dodge a bullet? No. Find another gem? Yes.

Both are good in there own right. After watching vids of both I’m content with our pickup and no longer have a bone to pick with Bishop.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I think Bishop was a 2 , but Hammond is a 2/3
Based on his size. Hammond gives us a little more flexibility. Also there are a lot more 6’4- 6’6 guys in HS ready to contribute than 6’8+ guys, so the drop off from the top tier to the second tier isn’t as great. filling the hole left by not getting Bishop is not as difficult as if we don’t get Walker. IMHO
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rankings are not a great indicator. It’s a zero sum game where the skill levels of the kids they’re ranking are not.

To get a top 250 you have to rank 250 ppl in order accurately. It’s dumb to think a #62 is better than a #68. Or to think that a #104 is 55 spots worse than #49.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If you get a top 100 player, rankings seem to matter quite a bit.
If you don’t, what even are rankings?

This is what I have learned from message boards.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

ace wrote: 5 years ago If you get a top 100 player, rankings seem to matter quite a bit,

Message board truth teller.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago If you get a top 100 player, rankings seem to matter quite a bit.

God forbid if you’re ranked 101.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago I think Bishop was a 2 , but Hammond is a 2/3
Based on his size. Hammond gives us a little more flexibility. Also there are a lot more 6’4- 6’6 guys in HS ready to contribute than 6’8+ guys, so the drop off from the top tier to the second tier isn’t as great. filling the hole left by not getting Bishop is not as difficult as if we don’t get Walker. IMHO
Bishop is listed as 6’4” and Hammond is listed as 6’5”. Are you saying the one inch gives URI more flexibility :o
They with both play SG in college. URI was more in need of a SG then a SF.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 5 years ago If you get a top 100 player, rankings seem to matter quite a bit.

Very astute Ace. Dan knew this well. You get a top 100 player you have headlines everywhere. You get a 4 * player you get good headlines. After that it’s just a signing
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Most recent ratings Composite 247
Bishop #121
Hammond #190
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Bishop is listed as 6’4” and Hammond is listed as 6’5”. Are you saying the one inch gives URI more flexibility. They with both play SG in college. URI was more in need of a SG then a SF
I saw Hammond listed @ 6'6" vs Bishop at 6'4". Which would allow him to play the 2 and 3. But your probably right and he will see most time at SG.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

I would rather coach a kid who has 85% of the talent level but always gives you 100% of his effort, then a kid who is 100% talented, but only gives you 85% of his effort.

Hammond. Mading and Long all seem to be 100% max effort coachable kids.
Last edited by reckless jake 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox is recruiting the same type as Hurley did......good people, good students.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

+1
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Seem like a great kid. Class act.
Not a great shooter ( based on small AAU sample) for a shooting guard.
38% overall 3pt - 26 % will need to improve dramatically to be a threat.
He is being lauded as a good shooter so I'm not so sure those
numbers are accurate. Long considered offensively challenges with
about the same numbers. ???
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Hammond can score it, all around. Long more of a glue guy.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I read somewhere that Hammond’s FT percentage was 80%. I can’t find it again. Sent a message to Louisiana Hoop Report asking him for Greg’s shooting stats from last year’s high school season. I will post them if I get a response.