'19 MD F Marial Mading (Pacific Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: '19 MD F Marial Mading (Offer)

Unread post by bigappleram »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago

we can play that game...

keeping Jermaine = getting EC

Hass was not a highly ranked recruit. 3 star, 88 score, between 180-200 nationally depending on the site

Mading, for comparison, is a 3 star, 87 score.

and dont forget Hurley's early recruiting success was mostly Preston. EC/Hass/Terrell/Jarvis.

After Preston it was a few years of average recruiting at best before hitting on Dowtin, Cyril and Fatts
After hitting on Dowtin, Cyril and Fatts and then hitting on the most highly ranked class we have had in the era where all recruits were ranked, and that's putting aside EC, Jared and Hass. The idea that Preston did it, then Cox did it, and that Dan wasn't the driving force is ridiculous. The coach is the CEO, he is the closer, his pedigree and success attracted kids at the end of the day. Yes the lead recruiters are doing the leg work but that's the case on every staff, ultimately the head coach is sealing the deal on every kid.
Do you stand by that for Jim Baron?
Not sure what you mean...but yes the Coach gets the lion share credit and the blame, for all aspects of the program.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Seawright, please tell me you aren’t comparing Mading to Hass. In your comparison of their ratings you conveniently left off the Mading is ranked #331 (247 Composite).
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

...we live in a world where being “subjectively” ranked #331 is somehow a negative? That’s still pretty good considering.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago After hitting on Dowtin, Cyril and Fatts and then hitting on the most highly ranked class we have had in the era where all recruits were ranked, and that's putting aside EC, Jared and Hass. The idea that Preston did it, then Cox did it, and that Dan wasn't the driving force is ridiculous. The coach is the CEO, he is the closer, his pedigree and success attracted kids at the end of the day. Yes the lead recruiters are doing the leg work but that's the case on every staff, ultimately the head coach is sealing the deal on every kid.
Do you stand by that for Jim Baron?
Not sure what you mean...but yes the Coach gets the lion share credit and the blame, for all aspects of the program.
I meant recruiting. Does Baron get credit for Delroy, Cothran, Ulmer? Will Daniels? Robinson?

Just asking because I have seen it said on here many times that the rug was pulled out from under Baron when assistant coach jumped ship.

83 Mading? Martin? Nope. I dont really care about Mading. I dont think this year's recruiting is so life or death. If you have a great class. The next class is less important. They just have to find some contributors/role players this year. This isnt football. Not to say it wouldnt be sweet to find some really good players this year.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Yes of course he gets credit for those guys. As he also gets the blame for not bringing that talented group to the big dance.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago ...we live in a world where being “subjectively” ranked #331 is somehow a negative? That’s still pretty good considering.
Ehhhh. It is always relative. Most schools have 13 scholarships, so if you divide it by four years, you figure most are looking for 3 or 4 players per year. If Mading is accurately rated, that means schools around #80 to #110 should be looking at him, which probably isn't where most URI fans envision the team being at. And of course, this whole analysis on my part is a bit simplistic - Obviously, no rating system is completely accurate, and no coaching staff is completely accurate in evaluation, and players can change so much from Age 17/18/19 in the recruitment process to a 21 to 24-year-old senior. But in general, higher rated players are better, so you do want to acquire more of them.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If you're bringing in 4 or 5 guys in one class that are going to be either role players or projects, you better hit on every other recruit for the next couple of years, because those players will have to be your foundation going forward.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

6'10" with guard skills. If Mading has a good attitude and finds a competent coaching staff he will be a good college player. If he's utilized at his best positions, for the sake of argument let's say at the 3/4 instead of the 5, you may find yourself with a nasty wing man. Delroy James (one of my favorites) wasn't exactly a high profile recruiting but he matured into quite the player and one thing you can say about Mustachio is he didn't cram square pegs into round holes, Del was a wing 4 and played the wing 4, by junior/senior year he was one of the A10's best. By Mading's junior season, if we landed him and McLeod, we could have a front court at 6'10" (Mading), 6'9" (Harris), and 7'3" (McLeod), 3,4 and 5. Mix in a competent back court and that's a line up with potential. There are so many possibilities when you have a guy as tall as a forward that grew up concentrating on guard skills.

Call me crazy but I'd rather have Mading and either or McLeod/Walker
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Fwiw I think Delroy was a fairly highly regarded recruit. The proliferation of ranking systems wasn't what it is today, but I do think of all those guys (Cothran, Outerbridge, Ulmer, Delroy) he was the most highly regarded coming out of high school.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

So you would rather have a 6’10 wing player that needs to develop than a 7’3” center that needs to develop? Rhody already has two wings players the class ahead (Martin & Tate) and a PF the class ahead (Harris) and hopes to land a F in Walker. You can’t put Walker and Mading in the same sentence. You are saying you would rather have Mading than Walker. Not me.

Forget rankings. Look at the schools that have made offers to each player. Most people on the Board feel that is a better evaluation of the recruits current capability.

Mading - Tulane, Hofstra, Quinnipiac
McLeod - FSU, LaSalle, VCU, Penn State, Oregon
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

We are after McLeod and Mading, two different positions.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Mading and Walker are not two different positions though, and after seeing Walker live it feels like Mading is a significant drop off. I have to assume staff sees him as Option B if we lose Walker.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Mading will play 3/4 in college, McLeod will play the 5. Mading is not a center and has no desire to play the 5.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Mading and Walker are not two different positions though, and after seeing Walker live it feels like Mading is a significant drop off. I have to assume staff sees him as Option B if we lose Walker.
You’re right, I misread your response.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Does Walker see himself as a stretch 4 or a 5? and what does Rhody see him as?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

He's a stretch 4. Offensively he plays on the perimeter (from the games I saw) and that is what he would project to play at next level. He is definitely not a 5.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Think of Rhody as playing two forwards 6’8” or taller. Walker and Harris could be on the floor in those two positions. I don’t think you need to get caught up in 4 vs 5. The coaches don’t.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
Does anybody have any insight on what his decision is? If we land him, does this mean no more Hammand? Clearly we need to leave room for both Walker and McLeod so we couldn’t take 4 if one of those two haven’t made a decision yet. Or do we slow roll Hammand until both of those guys make a decision?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

And I think he’s spot on.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Mading is going to commit to URI today. Confirmed
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

I'm also hearing marial will commit to Rhody today.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great news. Love this kid and his potential at URI. Nice work by the Head Coach, Staff and Players. Marial will play against Hassan French of St Louis who played at Springfield Commonwealth Academy as well.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Great news. Love this kid and his potential at URI. Nice work by the Head Coach, Staff and Players. Marial will play against Hassan French of St Louis who played at Springfield Commonwealth Academy as well.
Me too Ramster. I think he will surprise a lot of non-believers.
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

any thoughts on this may or may not impact walker - mading always seemed like the backup to walker
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago Great news. Love this kid and his potential at URI. Nice work by the Head Coach, Staff and Players. Marial will play against Hassan French of St Louis who played at Springfield Commonwealth Academy as well.
Me too Ramster. I think he will surprise a lot of non-believers.
True, a lot of them. Personally I am so glad we recruited him hard and will get the early commit. I think he will have a solid season at SCA and we will be thankful we got the early jump, otherwise many more schools would get interested. Excellent job by the staff. Good call DC_Rams
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago any thoughts on this may or may not impact walker - mading always seemed like the backup to walker
Although the position has no impact in my mind with how thin Mading is, I think it means we are not getting Walker. We don’t have unlimited scholarships and if everyone still thinks we are getting McLeod we aren’t getting both for sure now. I hope you guys are right, but i’m not happy at all. I would have much rather had Hammond. There is a reason so few programs wanted Mading. I wish we had waited. He wasn’t going anywhere.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Common sense is not common.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago any thoughts on this may or may not impact walker - mading always seemed like the backup to walker
Although the position has no impact in my mind with how thin Mading is, I think it means we are not getting Walker. We don’t have unlimited scholarships and if everyone still thinks we are getting McLeod we aren’t getting both for sure now. I hope you guys are right, but i’m not happy at all. I would have much rather had Hammond. There is a reason so few programs wanted Mading. I wish we had waited. He wasn’t going anywhere.
I don't think it effects McLeod, Hammond or Walker. It's a very good signing for URI.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

It won’t affect Hammond or McLeod. Hammond is a SG. He’s still visiting this week.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Agree with ramster…..we could still get 2 out of 3 of McLeod, Walker, and Hammond.....yes that's one more scholarship than the max, but who's to say someone won't leave after this season?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Send him a welcome on Twitter
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

made my day, made my week, made my month

https://247sports.com/Player/Marial-Mading-46051917/

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Agree with ramster…..we could still get 2 out of 3 of McLeod, Walker, and Hammond.....yes that's one more scholarship than the max, but who's to say someone won't leave after this season?
I think Hammond was someone that we had a high percentage chance of getting and still might, but it tells me that 100% we are notgetting both Walker and McLeod. The fourth scholarship would mean that either Thompson will graduate on time and leave after this year or we have information that someone is leaving after the season. I guess best scenario now is to hope to get Hammond and hopefully Walker, but more likely McLeod. The worst scenario is no Walker and no McLeod. DC/Rhody83-I know you have both watched Mading as I have. What do you see that makes you think he will be a very good player and will hold up with his thin frame?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: '19 MD F Marial Mading (URI Verbal Commit)

This seems to indicate no Walker, they are similar types of players. Don’t think any impact on McLeod or Hammond.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago This seems to indicate no Walker, they are similar types of players. Don’t think any impact on McLeod or Hammond.
I agree. I guess if they can get McLeod and Hammond that is what we should do.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

There is basically no chance that, if you have a thought, it will not be negative. Mading is not fully developed as a basketball player, but there is a lot of upside with him and if URI had signed the same player before last year people here would be ecstatic. With Long and Mading in the fold and the likelihood that the class will be rounded out with two of Walker, McLeod and Hammond, you’re looking at a class that will be ranked as good as any the program has had with the exception of last year’s class. It’s silly to be acting so petulant about it.

Oh, you’re “not happy”? Let me fire up the world’s smallest violin for you.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

this is a good get. How many 6' 10" guys have come to Rhody? if he can play this is a steal.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
There is basically no chance that, if you have a thought, it will not be negative. Mading is not fully developed as a basketball player, but there is a lot of upside with him and if URI had signed the same player before last year people here would be ecstatic. With Long and Mading in the fold and the likelihood that the class will be rounded out with two of Walker, McLeod and Hammond, you’re looking at a class that will be ranked as good as any the program has had with the exception of last year’s class. It’s silly to be acting so petulant about it.

BRA-FRICKING-VO!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago

Relax. I like Hammond, Walker and McLeod a ton. I think Long will be a valuable defensive player and role player in the future also. The coaching staff did an A+ job with the 2018 class. Sorry that I don’t like Mading as much as you do. I think it is more the fact that it looks very cloudy in terms of getting Walker who is a special talent. I have watched Mading play and question his frame and competition compared to other recruits. If I am wrong I will be the first one to admit it. I wish him the best and hope he can build up strength over the next couple of years.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Great get, a big step for this program with this type of player. A future playmaker. Wicked cool graphics too.
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’ll always root for a former Friar- welcome, Marial!
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Is this our first player from (born in?) Australia?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Section104 wrote: 5 years ago Is this our first player from (born in?) Australia?
Originally from Sudan.
Slava Ukraini!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I love this signing - problem is I like all the guys we are recruiting right now. I would be happy with any combination of the recruits we have been targeting because I think they all have a fit here. It’s a good problem to have though!