The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: The Official URI’s Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DC_Rams wrote:

Read between the lines..
What do folks think? Optimistic? Not optimistic? Dunno? Afraid to say?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:

Read between the lines..
grreeeaaatttt

here's to hoping that's just them saying "lets wait and see if Cox is coach"
I think that is exactly what it is, and I'd guess (hope) that he would not hear from Hurley either unless/until URI passes on Cox.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

mstyles22 wrote:https://twitter.com/_jharris1?lang=en

Someone who is better at Twitter than me...Has Harris always had that "Elite 8" retweet on the top of his page?
Jul 17 - it’s 8 months old
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

No insider information here but I would be surprised if Harris stayed committed to URI. Just look at their roster from last year, Josh Carlton was their leading big man at 4.4 points per game. Harris would step right in and start at UConn.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ts/_/id/41
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Press conference begins now.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

DC_Rams wrote:

Read between the lines..
"Says they haven't heard from Dan Hurley yet."

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

http://turnto10.com/watch link to conference
GO RAMS
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

STC wrote:No insider information here but I would be surprised if Harris stayed committed to URI. Just look at their roster from last year, Josh Carlton was their leading big man at 4.4 points per game. Harris would step right in and start at UConn.

Not saying your wrong, it could be a possibility since they dont have any solid bigs, but i think you are missing the connection with Harris and Cox, that relationship is longer and deeper than Hurley and Harris

If Cox is here, Harris stays
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

STC wrote:No insider information here but I would be surprised if Harris stayed committed to URI. Just look at their roster from last year, Josh Carlton was their leading big man at 4.4 points per game. Harris would step right in and start at UConn.

I would agree with this if it weren't Coach Cox that did all the leg work here. Harris has mentioned on many occasions the reason he committed to URI is because Cox believed in him before anyone else. The connection there is not with Hurley... and that connection is among the main reasons we give Cox the job right now.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

so nothing worthwhile coming out of this one. just a rehash what happened
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Wish I could here questions other than from Friar Frank...loved that Thorr cut him off from one of his dumb questions.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Thorr says the goal is to have a coach named in the next 2-2.5 weeks.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

steviep123 wrote:Wish I could here questions other than from Friar Frank...loved that Thorr cut him off from one of his dumb questions.

I cannot STAND Friar Frank. I wish he would retire and let Joe Kayata take over at Channel 10.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Thorr did throw out Dave's name as part of the national search, he asked Dave beforehand if he could mention his name. He also said he is not technically the interim but is the go to guy currently until the they officially name the next coach

all this is what we know or were thinking, but nice to hear it from Thorr. I'm sure they are going to do their due diligence, but Cox has to be our guy
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm not really inspired by Becker. Winning at Vermont is impressive, but that is a niche job. You can only get certain kinds of players there and he would need to recruit a whole different type of player to URI. Cox and Oats can recruit here right away. I haven't watched enough Vermont to say I know anything about Becker's abilities as a tactician, but if I can't be confident that he can get players then I really can't get too excited about him.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:so nothing worthwhile coming out of this one. just a rehash what happened
IDK...I thought there were a lot of good nuggets in there.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

To keep this program going in an upward direction takes more than words. Our own dispute over whether we needed a practice facility or not was symptomatic of this dilemma. The plan now is to renovate Tootle West to create such a facility and the success of such a move is dependent on the size and scope of the re-do because UConn's new center is exactly what we are up against.

EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Can't we jsut not let him out of his national letter of intent? i would not be surprised if part of the agreement with UConn and URI they can't recuit our recurits whom have signed NLI.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

EGram wrote:

Can't we jsut not let him out of his national letter of intent? i would not be surprised if part of the agreement with UConn and URI they can't recuit our recurits whom have signed NLI.
We can do that. But good luck trying to recruit after that.
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

For all you Nate Oates fans he is basically a less tested version of clues who is 100% offense over D!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

There is no reason that a renovation of Tootell West cannot result in a state of the art practice facility. You don't need to start from scratch on unblemished land to get what you need.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Bjorn just doing his due diligence to appease donors/boosters/board etc...I’m pretty sure Cox gets the nod.
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Good Presser. My quick takes...

- Poor Thorr, I love the guy but it looks like he's had a pretty sleepless week.

- Do not overlook how he handled the "Do you want a guy with NCAA Tournament experience?" question. He said "Every coach has been an assistant at one point..."

- So West Gym is where the practice facility will be located? Fine with me. A renovation over putting a shovel in the ground will bring it online a lot quicker (usually). Plus it's cheaper (usually).

- Says no regrets about the offer Rhody made. I don't think there should be either.

- My personal opinion: We're in good hands with Thorr.

Onward and upward.
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

TruePoint wrote:I'm not really inspired by Becker. Winning at Vermont is impressive, but that is a niche job. You can only get certain kinds of players there and he would need to recruit a whole different type of player to URI. Cox and Oats can recruit here right away. I haven't watched enough Vermont to say I know anything about Becker's abilities as a tactician, but if I can't be confident that he can get players then I really can't get too excited about him.
I'm originally from Vermont and hence keep an eye on their basketball program from afar. This is exactly the concern I have with Becker. I also do not have a grasp of his actual coaching ability, although I do question if he is the guy recruiting the best America East players, or if it's Vermont's history as the top program in the conference? That said, I do notice that he struggles with big city recruiting, which is necessary to compete at the higher levels. Before you say it's a conference thing, it's not, as Albany and UMBC don't seem to have a problem recruiting city kids. Becker usually pulls a few Canadian kids (Trae Bell-Hanes, who's a nice player) and a handful of top rural high-school players. I believe our program has elevated itself beyond what John's capable of (no hate, just real).
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Just a question. Where is the new performance facility that was opened a few years ago? Is it next to the West Gym? Does that matter?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

EGram wrote:

There is no agreement between UConn and URI.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I too believe tootell can be something really special. Let those renovations extend beyond the gym doors. It's been special ever since I hit a game-winning intramural basket there, so I know its potential.
GO RAMS
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

TruePoint wrote:There is no reason that a renovation of Tootell West cannot result in a state of the art practice facility. You don't need to start from scratch on unblemished land to get what you need.
Yes!^^^
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:There is no reason that a renovation of Tootell West cannot result in a state of the art practice facility. You don't need to start from scratch on unblemished land to get what you need.
Right, I dont know why a renovation is looked down on by some. Let's wait and see what they end up doing, but assuming they don't just half ass it there is no reason to think it won't be nice just because the steel was put in the ground a long time ago.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Thorr did confirm that Cox gets more compensation if he isn’t named head coach. I wonder how common that is?
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote:
Right, I dont know why a renovation is looked down on by some. Let's wait and see what they end up doing, but assuming they don't just half ass it there is no reason to think it won't be nice just because the steel was put in the ground a long time ago.
Make sure to not let anyone that had anything to do with the pub layout near it....
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

We had an AD say exactly what I would hope an AD would say at this point. We put our best offer forward, no regrets. we will continue to build the program (practice facility). We will have an open search but be done quickly (hopefully).
He didn't trash the out going coach, which is important in knowing where we are in the pecking order, and knowing this is an every 5-7 year event for URI.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Even on this board I think you have to respect that when URI has built anything over the past 25 years. It has been impressive.

Have to expect the facility to be up to par with the Ryan Center and all the new buildings on campus.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

GO RAMS
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

the_one_mike wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I think having TJ Buchanon on staff could be hugely helpful. He may regard sticking it out during a coaching change one of the best decisions he ever made, and he did it in much worse circumstances.
Cox takes over for Danny; Boswell takes over for Cox; Buchanon takes over for Boswell.

That's the obvious move, if you ask me.
Boswell is strictly a recruiter; does very little coaching. They didn't even have him doing scouts this year. Cox likely would retain him for his recruiting; and I don't think Dan will offer him; but Cox needs two good hires to fill out the bench.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

for reference, that building is the old Rojo's dining hall. Same guts, just renovated. Goes to show what a renovation can be
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I think having TJ Buchanon on staff could be hugely helpful. He may regard sticking it out during a coaching change one of the best decisions he ever made, and he did it in much worse circumstances.
Cox takes over for Danny; Boswell takes over for Cox; Buchanon takes over for Boswell.

Boswell is strictly a recruiter; does very little coaching. They didn't even have him doing scouts this year. Cox likely would retain him for his recruiting; and I don't think Dan will offer him; but Cox needs two good hires to fill out the bench.
Iggy - you interviewed Moore on your pod. May sound like revisionist history now, but he wasn't super impressive to me in that conversation. Curious what your thoughts were on him, if any, at the time and looking back on it as it relates to how all of this played out.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

DC_Rams wrote:Bjorn just doing his due diligence to appease donors/boosters/board etc...I’m pretty sure Cox gets the nod.
The due diligence isn't to appease anyone; it's required. Job has to be posted for a certain amount of time; there are equal opportunity requirements that have to be met ... It all comes with being a state university.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:

Iggy - you interviewed Moore on your pod. May sound like revisionist history now, but he wasn't super impressive to me in that conversation. Curious what your thoughts were on him, if any, at the time and looking back on it as it relates to how all of this played out.
He might not be a dynamic interview but I've been very impressed with him. UConn people love him. He should not have been fired at Quinnipiac. I think Dan will be glad to have him in Storrs.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

for reference, that building is the old Rojo's dining hall. Same guts, just renovated. Goes to show what a renovation can be
Exactly why I posted it. Pretty solid precedence. Designed by KITE Architects.

http://kitearchitects.com/portfolio/wel ... ess-center
GO RAMS
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

TruePoint wrote:To bring two points of interest in this thread, Coach Cox is doing God's work on twitter right now. He is not asleep at the wheel.

https://twitter.com/coachdc202

We ready to move on. Let's GO!
I am ALL IN on the Coach Cox Era to begin!!! Intelligent, talented, committed.
:mrgreen:
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:

https://web.uri.edu/quadangles/fit-fabulous-fascitelli/

Here is the quadrangles article on its opening. Not only is it named for the late mother of alum Michael Fascitelli, who is a co-owner of the Milwaukee Bucks, he donated $1M to help fund it and was present at the ribbon cutting (see photo in article). Fascitelli is wealthy on the scale of Tom Ryan. Would be terrific to name another thing on campus after him....
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Dude, he's an elite recruit. He could start at Duke.
(All right, maybe that's hyperbole. But he ain't no Dadika.)
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I think Thorr has done a great job handling this situation and was well supported in this effort by President Dooley. With all the talk about salary offers to Dan Hurley and the need for URI to stay competitive in basketball, let's not forget that Thorr and Dooley also need to be treated with salaries that are commensurate with their competitive situations and may also be deserving of increases.
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

Lot of men loving cox in this thread!!!! Not that there is anything wrong with men who love cox nowadays........

Okay had to bring some comic relief to myself and this site today. It's been a rough day for us all.....I truly hope Rhody can keep the momentum and still move the program forward. Tired of being in PC's shadow as the top RI program. As for coaches, Cox clearly would bring stability especially if he can keep all the recruits but damn does thought of Pitino has the mind going....talk about bringing spotlight to Kingston!!! Plus just imagine the stories the tables at Charlie O's could tell after a night of Ricky P being in the corner booth!!!!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

This is a great blueprint for what is possible with a Tootell renovation
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

TruePoint wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:

https://web.uri.edu/quadangles/fit-fabulous-fascitelli/

Here is the quadrangles article on its opening. Not only is it named for the late mother of alum Michael Fascitelli, who is a co-owner of the Milwaukee Bucks, he donated $1M to help fund it and was present at the ribbon cutting (see photo in article). Fascitelli is wealthy on the scale of Tom Ryan. Would be terrific to name another thing on campus after him....

On the scale of Tom Ryan? You might want to do a little more research on this one. Fascitelli Tom Ryan? Seriously
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

If Hurley takes any of the recruits that have signed NLOI with URI then he is screwing Thorr, Cox, Fatts and Dowtin. That's not what you would do to "family!"