The Transfer Carousel - 2018

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2018

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:1. Introducing this rule would kill demand and revenue, if not right away then certainly over the long term. That is why is described it as a trade-off. This current system allows for the existence of "big-time" sports because it creates fan interest.

2. This isn't the same thing as the grad transfer rule. The grad transfer rule, which I am a huge proponent of, has an actual purpose behind it - you shouldn't be forced to go to graduate school at the same place as you went to undergrad. It is a natural time for movement, and it is a good reward for earning a degree. Further, it is a narrow exception that allows for a very small amount of player movement every year.

3. In this proposed system, you'd be introducing full-fledged free agency every offseason. Without any disincentive to transfer, guys would make moves just to incrementally improve their situation - slightly better team, slightly easier path to minutes, etc. Just like every decent player now "tests" the NBA draft, every decent player would go out into the market after every season. There would be a huge trickle-down and domino effect that would mean roster flux well into the summer. You'd have teams with 13 new players every year because they recruiting and/or stole from other teams the best 13 players in the country, and you'd have teams with 13 new players every year because all of their players leave every season. It would be complete and utter chaos.

As a fan, you'd lose several things that are a big part of what makes college sports popular: (1) it would take away rooting for players to develop and get better, because you'd just be developing them for someone else's team, (2) you would have a completely new 13 man roster every single season, so you'd never get to know the players and you certainly wouldn't connect with them as future fellow alumni, (3) it would make following recruiting meaningless (4) it would kill any fantasy of being able catch lightning in a bottle because your roster finally clicked into place with the right mix of vets and stud recruits etc. and so your team is going put together a magical season - that hope will be snuffed out every April when your stud freshman and breakout sophomore and potential all-league senior hit the free agent market and some school with a bigger shoe company slush fund steals them from you. There would literally be no reason to watch college sports anymore except if you're a fan of one of the five or six schools that is loaded with everyone else's best players plus a couple of lottery picks.
There is so much made up and presupposed in here that it borders on the sky is falling. I will simplify it more on my side. Anything that improves the players lot is fine by me. There are a finite number of chairs. And the same pool of players. If a player at URI gets to play for Duke? Well, good for him. Why limit him to what was available at 16 or 17 years old? How come people still have no problem rooting for pro teams? It was the same thing when free agency was introduced. Everyone said the sky would fall. It didn't. It just helped a group of players who had gotten the raw end of the deal for so long improve their station. Yeah, it's nice to see someone see EC improve and be here for 43 years but do you think the Duke fans hated rooting for a national title and then having to say goodbye to Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones? Again, if your default is to limit players in any way, you (plural you) are just being selfish and want to protect what you like.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

What you call presupposition, I call prediction. I’m using the facts available to me and mapping them onto my view of the world and projecting an outcome. That is like a basic human reasoning skill.

If you want to help the players without ruining the sport, just pay them. Giving them this because you’re too cheap give them their fair cut will blow up in your face by killing fan interest at 90% of schools. I want to take care of the players but there has to be a balance between that and protecting the sport as something fans care about.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

pay them and let them transfer at will, even mid season
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'm not in favor of allowing open transferring at the end of the year without sitting out - I think it opens things up too much, and it would almost certainly hurt smaller programs. Like, you'd essentially have to re-recruit your roster each year, and it just seems too chaotic to me.

However, I am in favor of giving players many more "outs" and more freedom in movement. Like, I'd be in favor of cutting the period of time you have to sit out from one year to a semester. And I think players should automatically be allowed to transfer without sitting out any time if the head coach of a program leaves or is fired. (Although, if he leaves for another school, you can't transfer to that school - Then coaches could just go from Job X to Job Y and bring the whole roster with them.)
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:What you call presupposition, I call prediction. I’m using the facts available to me and mapping them onto my view of the world and projecting an outcome. That is like a basic human reasoning skill.

If you want to help the players without ruining the sport, just pay them. Giving them this because you’re too cheap give them their fair cut will blow up in your face by killing fan interest at 90% of schools. I want to take care of the players but there has to be a balance between that and protecting the sport as something fans care about.
Yeah but it's like you saying if Cox isn't hired URI would win 7 games next year and using that to buttress your stance. At some point, you are just making stuff up in a specious way. Everything you are predicting sounds fairly reasonable on its face but, if you look at history, it's just not. Will there be winners and losers? Probably. There always is but I think you can make an equally or more credible argument that it would be good for college basketball. And, of course, paying the players should almost go without saying at this point. Hurley leaves for millions and millions with zero restriction and we tell Johnny Player that he needs to get a 3.0 in his sociology major so he can go play for the same fixed compensation that they got in 1928.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

The player transfer system works for the most part.......The area that can creates difficulty is, when the student athlete is behind in the classroom. If, for example you regulate that he stays in school for two years, and he is behind in his studies, he might just leave school permanently never achieving a degree. If he has the option to play professional basketball after one year, leaving after one year might be fairer, if succeeding in the classroom is not an option.

My personal feeling is since collegiate basketball is an amateur sport, and a great number of people play, and manage to get degrees as a result, why change anything?....... Yes they work very, very hard, what with the time practicing, travelling, and studying........They are helped with Summer sessions, tutor availability, and the financial aid of full scholarships, up to six years if needed.

I am not in favor of player stipends. I think professional [vs. amateur] basketball, does not belong in college. Let the NBA develop a minor professional league for those who must earn a living coming out of high school.

Considering how many interests are involved, the players interests are pretty well protected currently.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

CTRamfan wrote:
Considering how many interests are involved, the players interests are pretty well protected currently.
How are they protected? They are the one group that has no voice in any type of bargaining. In no way are the players interests being protected.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I was referring to academics
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Supposedly the Knicks are trying to talk Jay Wright into leaving Villanova. I doubt he does, but they have a couple of guys we recruited.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote:Supposedly the Knicks are trying to talk Jay Wright into leaving Villanova. I doubt he does, but they have a couple of guys we recruited.
It's probably the one time I would listen if I was Jay Wright. You just can't beat Madison Square Garden. NYC is such a great basketball town. Offer him $10MM/year and the chance to pick the groceries. See what he says. Porzingis is a year away but they will eventually lose Kanter and other bad contracts. Ask for seven years and be king of NY. He is mid 50s so worst case scenario is he has his pick of college gigs if he ever wanted to come back. It's nice being the man on the Main Line but this is a shot worth taking.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Currently, players are free to transfer with the stipulation that they sit out a year. They know the rules going in. Don't want to sit out a year, then a player shouldn't transfer or they can transfer to a Division Two school. Otherwise, go transfer and sit a year. What's the big deal about sitting out a year? My gosh, they would have to go to class and have no excuses for not getting their schoolwork done??!! How awful! Why is that a bad thing?

I am not in favor of paying student-athletes, ever. Talk about opening Pandora's box. Players already get a free ride and they do have the opportunity to get a job in the offseason. And a lot of times, the scholarship check that they receive provides them leftover money at the end of the semester. The doors that are opened to an individual for being a Division One basketball player both athletically and vocationally in my mind have a tremendous value that nobody puts a dollar sign on.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Currently, players are free to transfer with the stipulation that they sit out a year. They know the rules going in. Don't want to sit out a year, then a player shouldn't transfer or they can transfer to a Division Two school. Otherwise, go transfer and sit a year. What's the big deal about sitting out a year? My gosh, they would have to go to class and have no excuses for not getting their schoolwork done??!! How awful! Why is that a bad thing?

I am not in favor of paying student-athletes, ever. Talk about opening Pandora's box. Players already get a free ride and they do have the opportunity to get a job in the offseason. And a lot of times, the scholarship check that they receive provides them leftover money at the end of the semester. The doors that are opened to an individual for being a Division One basketball player both athletically and vocationally in my mind have a tremendous value that nobody puts a dollar sign on.
Actually, they aren't free to transfer. Their release needs to be granted by the school.

Next time you go try to get a raise if you have a boss...what are you going to say when he says you are already getting tremendous value. That should settle it, right? No...you will try to extract your true value. The value of the player to the business (yes, it's a business) is much, much, much more than a scholarship, coaching, exposure. There is just no way to argue the other side. If a businessman from, say, Singapore came here and you tried to explain the model to them they would be like WTF? It's an anachronism based on a fraudulent term (student-athlete) made up years ago for employment litigation purposes. The NCAA is the worst. Pay them and let them move when they want. Pretty simple. PS the game will survive...it will probably thrive.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Gonebarongone wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Supposedly the Knicks are trying to talk Jay Wright into leaving Villanova. I doubt he does, but they have a couple of guys we recruited.
It's probably the one time I would listen if I was Jay Wright. You just can't beat Madison Square Garden. NYC is such a great basketball town. Offer him $10MM/year and the chance to pick the groceries. See what he says. Porzingis is a year away but they will eventually lose Kanter and other bad contracts. Ask for seven years and be king of NY. He is mid 50s so worst case scenario is he has his pick of college gigs if he ever wanted to come back. It's nice being the man on the Main Line but this is a shot worth taking.
The Knicks have been bad for about 20 years at this point. Their owner is by far one of the worst human beings in sports. The pressure to succeed in NYC and media spotlight on the Knicks coach is 2nd only to the Yankees. The toll on his mind and body from stress will need to be accounted for, he could live comfortably forever on the main line, or try to do what many other good coaches have failed to do with the Knicks. To me, even for 4-5MM more a year it's not worth the risk. If he was yearning for the pros the 76ers job would make sense to me, though Brown has done a helluva job so he's probably safe there.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Currently, players are free to transfer with the stipulation that they sit out a year. They know the rules going in. Don't want to sit out a year, then a player shouldn't transfer or they can transfer to a Division Two school. Otherwise, go transfer and sit a year. What's the big deal about sitting out a year? My gosh, they would have to go to class and have no excuses for not getting their schoolwork done??!! How awful! Why is that a bad thing?
I agree with you about paying student-athletes, but I would like to look at the bad side of things. You have a son/daughter. They are recruited to play D1 basketball. They coach tells them they see so much potential, that they might not play much as a freshman, but if they work hard, they should be starting by their sophomore year as the only other player in line is a senior. Your son/daughter loves the coach, the program, and commits. Your son/daughter busts their ass for a whole year, only plays in garbage time, it's now April, and that coach lands a Top 50 "stud" at the same position. Everyone is talking about how that person is a lock to start, how they'll play 30 minutes a night for the next 4 years and be the face of the program. Your son/daughter is heartbroken as they've busted their ass but are now stuck. They either keep busting their ass for what appears to be little return, or they leave to find a situation that might be better for them. But if they leave, despite the fact the coach didn't exactly hold true to his promise, they now have to miss one entire season. One season lost of reps. One season lost of experience. All because they wanted to find themselves in a better situation. Those are the kids I feel bad for. I don't feel bad for the kids who blow up and now want to go from playing at Campbell University to Duke. I feel bad for the kids who want to go somewhere where they might actually play, or those who are politely "nudged" by the coaching staff to pursue other opportunities because there will never be real minutes available for them at that school. Sure, kids might know the rules going in, but you want to tell your son/daughter who has gotten a scholarship offer from URI and the A10 that they should go play at UNH in the America East because they'll have a better opportunity to play? And I know this view is rather simplistic, but kids think big. Their parents think big. They are sold on potential and what might be's. It just doesn't always work out that way, and the kids get screwed big time.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Gonebarongone wrote:

Actually, they aren't free to transfer. Their release needs to be granted by the school.

Next time you go try to get a raise if you have a boss...what are you going to say when he says you are already getting tremendous value. That should settle it, right? No...you will try to extract your true value. The value of the player to the business (yes, it's a business) is much, much, much more than a scholarship, coaching, exposure. There is just no way to argue the other side. If a businessman from, say, Singapore came here and you tried to explain the model to them they would be like WTF? It's an anachronism based on a fraudulent term (student-athlete) made up years ago for employment litigation purposes. The NCAA is the worst. Pay them and let them move when they want. Pretty simple. PS the game will survive...it will probably thrive.
I don’t have any issue with the current system except the need to get a release. If you want to leave you should be able to. There should be a sitting period. 1 semester if at the end of the year, 2 semesters if you transfer in season may make more sense.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

From the boneyard on Smith:
Makes me wonder if Jalen Adams is actually coming back with all these guards we’re adding. Grad transfers are ideal though, need space for the 5* recruits Hurley will be snagging next year.

Similiar comments about Brendan being the 4th guard and that they will have 6 guards. One post that Hurley can recruit over him in the next two years (and he can be a back up or transfer).
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote:From the boneyard on Smith:
Makes me wonder if Jalen Adams is actually coming back with all these guards we’re adding. Grad transfers are ideal though, need space for the 5* recruits Hurley will be snagging next year.

Similiar comments about Brendan being the 4th guard and that they will have 6 guards. One post that Hurley can recruit over him in the next two years (and he can be a back up or transfer).
The boneyard is an interesting and entertaining read for sure...
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:
Dan finally gets one of his dad's ex-players.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

The boneyard forum is full of smug sobs. I want UConn to fail not because they have DH, but because I want to revisit that forum and drink sad Husky tears.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Right, totally agree...but the smug snobs there run amok and largely unchecked...which greatly adds to the entertainment value of their forum.
Win or lose, it can be a fun read...not a lot of huskee on huskee crime...what little there is, is generally good-natured, and they don't take themselves anywhere nearly as seriously.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Wait till the boneyard gets a taste of zone defense. Achilles heel for us. Hopefully Coach Cox values the bigs and plays big.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:Wait till the boneyard gets a taste of zone defense. Achilles heel for us. Hopefully Coach Cox values the bigs and plays big.
Taste of what? Facing a zone, or never playing one? ;)
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
theblueram wrote:Wait till the boneyard gets a taste of zone defense. Achilles heel for us. Hopefully Coach Cox values the bigs and plays big.
Taste of what? Facing a zone, or never playing one? ;)
;)
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Gonebarongone wrote:

Yes, college athletics is a business. But analogies to real world businesses don't fly. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

I realize a release needs to be granted but for the most part, players are free to transfer. (There are some stipulations and some coaches have blocked some players for competitive reasons, not for academic reasons.)

The game would not thrive with free-wheeling transfer. It would lead to frustration by coaches, fans, and players...those players who are/were teammates of those players who they thought were their teammates.

One could make the argument that the players gets more value from the university but often times do not take advantage of all the university has to offer...i.e. they don't realize the whole value of University X.
Last edited by PlayMikeMotenMore 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
I agree with you about paying student-athletes, but I would like to look at the bad side of things. You have a son/daughter. They are recruited to play D1 basketball. They coach tells them they see so much potential, that they might not play much as a freshman, but if they work hard, they should be starting by their sophomore year as the only other player in line is a senior. Your son/daughter loves the coach, the program, and commits. Your son/daughter busts their ass for a whole year, only plays in garbage time, it's now April, and that coach lands a Top 50 "stud" at the same position. Everyone is talking about how that person is a lock to start, how they'll play 30 minutes a night for the next 4 years and be the face of the program. Your son/daughter is heartbroken as they've busted their ass but are now stuck. They either keep busting their ass for what appears to be little return, or they leave to find a situation that might be better for them. But if they leave, despite the fact the coach didn't exactly hold true to his promise, they now have to miss one entire season. One season lost of reps. One season lost of experience. All because they wanted to find themselves in a better situation. Those are the kids I feel bad for. I don't feel bad for the kids who blow up and now want to go from playing at Campbell University to Duke. I feel bad for the kids who want to go somewhere where they might actually play, or those who are politely "nudged" by the coaching staff to pursue other opportunities because there will never be real minutes available for them at that school. Sure, kids might know the rules going in, but you want to tell your son/daughter who has gotten a scholarship offer from URI and the A10 that they should go play at UNH in the America East because they'll have a better opportunity to play? And I know this view is rather simplistic, but kids think big. Their parents think big. They are sold on potential and what might be's. It just doesn't always work out that way, and the kids get screwed big time.
Very good scenario you bring to light. But you hit the crux of the issue in your last few sentences. Parents...

Parents need to be smart enough and educated enough about this. Parents think big...well parents should think about being parents first and foremost. If a coach tells my son that he should be starting by his sophomore year, then I'm advising my son not to play for that coach. No coach can guarantee any player anything. And just because my son works hard doesn't guarantee him anything...just as it doesn't guarantee him a spot on the jv or varsity team at the local high school. My son (and any player) needs to prove to the coaches that he's good enough to play. Working hard is not proof of anything. The only thing a coach can guarantee is for every player to have a fair shot at a role on the team, whether that means 5, 10 or 30 minutes a game or being on the scout team. And the only thing my son should guarantee a coach is his very best effort and attitude in every thing he does. If he busted his butt and doesn't earn time, then so be it. He can stick it out with the friends he has, the grades he's earned, etc. at the current school or go try to get playing time a new school, meet new friends, and continue his school work elsewhere. Those are big decisions and should be thought thru carefully, not casually. Allowing free transfer makes that too casual, in my opinion.

I've already taught my sons that there are no guarantees other than that if they don't work hard, I guarantee them that they'll have no chance of reaching their goals.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

for the pay the players crowd, its not that simple.

dont forget Title IX. ANY compensation to the players will have to be balanced and follow the Title IX guidelines for program spending.

you're also gonna have a lot of kids dealing with complex tax issues.

are they W2 or 1099 employees? if 1099 how do they estimate and pay that lump sum?
things like travel, per diem, training, facilities, etc are all taxable benefits

at the end of the day you are screwing 99% of the athletes for the benefit of 1%. For any athlete except the no doubt pros, they get far more benefit out of the scholarship than they ever would out of the pay.
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Keep an eye on this one. Teammate of Fatts at Imhotep.

https://247sports.com/Player/David-Beatty-77317
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Can he bring Chris Silva with him and make it a package deal.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Ohhhh title IX.
GO RAMS
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:for the pay the players crowd, its not that simple.

dont forget Title IX. ANY compensation to the players will have to be balanced and follow the Title IX guidelines for program spending.

you're also gonna have a lot of kids dealing with complex tax issues.

are they W2 or 1099 employees? if 1099 how do they estimate and pay that lump sum?
things like travel, per diem, training, facilities, etc are all taxable benefits

at the end of the day you are screwing 99% of the athletes for the benefit of 1%. For any athlete except the no doubt pros, they get far more benefit out of the scholarship than they ever would out of the pay.
Because it is hard is not a reason to keep the status quo. And I believe you (massively) underestimate how many players would get scholarship plus other benefits (cash, long term health benefits, etc.). There is so much money out there. I think almost every P5 player plus mid major teams would find a way. The benefit to the program and to the school is worth way, way more than just a scholarship. Finding out how to navigate paying 13 extra employees is not a big deal for a massive enterprise. To your other point, if that meant that others get less? So what...that's there value. NCAA baseball teams only offer 12 or 13 scholarships. Are we appalled that a backup SS gets a half scholarship? No...it's just we are used to it and change is scary. If 5 players on URI get a full scholarship plus $50k/year, 5 get full scholarships, and 3 get half? Well, that's what the market bears. Get better or get a full scholarship to Siena or whatever. This happens all over the world. It would not be that complicated. Just let market forces do their work.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I am for paying players, but I don't think the schools should be on the hook. The money should be distributed evenly among all players at the same level from a central clearinghouse run by the NCAA. So you take all D1 men's basketball revenues, chop 20% or whatever amount is decided upon off the top, then the NCAA distributes that money out to every man, woman and child on an NCAA Division One men's basketball scholarship, big school or small school, star or bench warmer, etc. If you wanted to pay freshmen, sophs, juniors and seniors on a graduated scale, that would be fine with me. Again, I recognize that this is not a laissez faire free market solution, but it my opinion it is the best way of keeping the competitive landscape as even as possible while doing the right thing for the players who generate the revenue.

This is the same concern I have with the transfer rule: players should be able to transfer wherever and whenever they want, but I think the year-in-residency rule is important for competitive balance. (I also believe in creating certain exceptions where you have extenuating circumstances, but you should have to apply for a waiver.) You cannot have a sport where you want to have fan interest without weighing fairness to players against maintaining competitive balance.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

In my humble opinion there will still be coaches who supplement what the NCAA would be giving to each player....same as we have now......
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:In my humble opinion there will still be coaches who supplement what the NCAA would be giving to each player....same as we have now......
That may be true, but the reason why you would pay players is not to prevent someone else from paying the very best ones. The reason why you would pay players is because the time and effort they put in is producing an ungodly amount of revenue and they deserve their cut of it.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Do the thousands and thousands of dollars worth of benefits and tuition count towards a 18 years olds salary?
GO RAMS
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Sure, but if the sport is turning a profit that exceeds the cost of tuition and all that nonsense than why shouldn’t the student athlete get a cut? These coaching contracts are absurd.

Also, players should be able to sell their likeness. If you can sign autographs and make money then fuck the NCAA and their archaic bullshit.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The entire system has run amuck....

Not just college coaches either...the money being made by professionals in all major sports is out of control.

Wish I could be a MLB pitcher with a .500 record making 10 million a year.....or a middling NFL QB making the same....and on and on....

And we pay through the nose for it all.....12 dollar beers and 200 dollar lousy seats and 50 dollar parking......
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rambone 78 wrote:The entire system has run amuck....

Not just college coaches either...the money being made by professionals in all major sports is out of control.

Wish I could be a MLB pitcher with a .500 record making 10 million a year.....or a middling NFL QB making the same....and on and on....

And we pay through the nose for it all.....12 dollar beers and 200 dollar lousy seats and 50 dollar parking......
I have no problem with professional athletes making a bundle of cash. We have a choice of whether or not to pay the prices.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yeah but most of us can't afford to pay those prices....that often anyway.

I used to go to Fenway and Yankee Stadium fairly often back in the day....now I need to get a loan to go more than once a year....

Same for the NFL.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

So each player would need an agent? Can they deal with contracts? It’s much much more complex then simply paying a student. The benefit of education will be thrown away for good. Kids won’t want to Learn. They won’t have drive once their collegiate careers are over. I’m talking about the 90% of athletes that don’t play professionally.
GO RAMS
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Rhodymob05 wrote:So each player would need an agent? Can they deal with contracts? It’s much much more complex then simply paying a student. The benefit of education will be thrown away for good. Kids won’t want to Learn. They won’t have drive once their collegiate careers are over. I’m talking about the 90% of athletes that don’t play professionally.
Again, being hard or complex is not a reason to maintain the status quo, which is an abomination to everyone but coaches that make millions, tv fat cats, and fans who like their product the way it has always been. In other words, everyone but the actual people who provide the product and, oftentimes (especially in football), have long term physical problems.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I think a lot of it has to deal with the part of the country we are in -- prices for all sporting events, even college, I would consider astronomical. How much are tickets for a URI football game? I seem to recall going to the URI/Brown game maybe 3 years ago and spending around $60 for 2 seats in the bleachers? I know if I go to a Brown football game it's about $20 a ticket. Finding cheap tickets to any of the professional teams is a challenge and even if you do get cheaper tickets, you'll get destroyed elsewhere (parking, concessions, etc.). I was fortunate to be able to go to Progressive Field last season -- outside of the fact it was freakin' cold, parking was $10, bleacher seats in left field (basically "Monster" seats) were $25, it was dollar hot dog night, and during the game they walked around with a bunch of free giveaways (rally towels, etc.). It was an awesome experience and a very cool place to see a ball game.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:

I think a lot of it has to deal with the part of the country we are in -- prices for all sporting events, even college, I would consider astronomical. How much are tickets for a URI football game? I seem to recall going to the URI/Brown game maybe 3 years ago and spending around $60 for 2 seats in the bleachers? I know if I go to a Brown football game it's about $20 a ticket. Finding cheap tickets to any of the professional teams is a challenge and even if you do get cheaper tickets, you'll get destroyed elsewhere (parking, concessions, etc.). I was fortunate to be able to go to Progressive Field last season -- outside of the fact it was freakin' cold, parking was $10, bleacher seats in left field (basically "Monster" seats) were $25, it was dollar hot dog night, and during the game they walked around with a bunch of free giveaways (rally towels, etc.). It was an awesome experience and a very cool place to see a ball game.
add to that ticket prices change with the quality of the team.

basically you have 2 choices:

1. be able to get tickets to games, for low prices...but you are going to watch a bad team play poorly and likely lose
2. deal with not getting tickets and high prices...but you are watching/rooting for a team that wins a lot and is in contention for championships
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Scratch all the David Beatty Talk, I’m hoping we take a strong look into Xavier Johnson (Nebraska decommit). From Cox’s DMV stomping ground. Kid is underrated to say the least.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

That is kind of weird. I don't think it is illegal, technically, but I've just never seen an "advertisement" for a transferring player before. Maybe it happens all the time and I've just missed it.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

With Sutton coming in, this may be our shot at this kid. What are the details on Corey?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote:With Sutton coming in, this may be our shot at this kid. What are the details on Corey?
I think he left Pitt and played J.C. last year.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Another kid from the VA area, and Sutton recruit. Ideal 2 year big, sounds like it’s just what Cox was looking for.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

DC_Rams wrote:With Sutton coming in, this may be our shot at this kid. What are the details on Corey?
Averaged 6 points a game and didn't start on his community college team. No thanks.