Game 25: Dayton Friday Feb 12, 7:00PM ESPN2

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 25: Dayton Friday Feb 12, 7:00PM ESPN2

Unread post by section(105) »

Marquis Jones....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

how large is the crowd?.....big student turnout?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

McGlynn with 10 points already. Nice to see McGlynn stepping up in a big game!
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Not very large probably 5000-6000. Student turn out is good though
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I've never seen a team travel as much as Dayton has tonight!
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

that a boy 4!!! hes got a green light tonight
Clapton is God
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Come on!!! We just can't seem to get over the hump. Keep getting within 2!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TERRELL....ONIONS!
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

lets gooooooooooooo
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Come on, not another heartbreaker. I can't take it...
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

cannot miss a 1 n 1... cmon jarvis
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

fuck...cmon walk off win here lets go
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I've never been more sure of a 3 pointer going in then on that Dayton shot.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Same old story...
josephski
Tom Garrick

I feel like I'm watching ground hog day every time this team plays over the last two years.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Same old story. Same old song and dance. Choke artists.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

free throws.....who knew.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

I knew that shot was going in the moment he put it up.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Four finally has a big game against a tough opponent and we get a whopping 2 points from our bench.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

860_rhody wrote:I knew that shot was going in the moment he put it up.
Yep, any time I watch games with non-URI fans and I predict these things they are always amazed at how I am right every single time.
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

50% on free throws vs 80%. I'm not one of those people that says free throws are free blah blah blah I understand game situations but there is literally no chance to win when you shoot them like an average 5th grade basketball team. It's to the point where some people shouldn't be playing because they can't make a free throw. Play Berry.
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

Didn't even flinch when that 3 went in. Any long time Rhody fan knew that was good before he even shot it. Unreal
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I am sure we will be comforted by some thinking that out bench will be deeper next year......count me in the group of show me first.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

What an awful shot for the last possession...DH has a lot of work to do.
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Yea not a great play to have the ball in your least athletic players hands at half court with under 10 seconds left. Very frustrating.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......and this is beating the drum do many times. I know, but the lack of a true 5 player, especially in the A-10 sked leaves us as weak.....I know there is this thought teams do not need that role in todays game.....but give me a 5 to complement Hass and others. to open the floor more.....next years group has that?...... please tell me that is in the pipeline.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Classic Rhody. Giving up a wide open 3 when youre up by 2. Let the guy take the two or make him earn it from the line god damn.
josephski
Tom Garrick

section(105) wrote:......and this is beating the drum do many times. I know, but the lack of a true 5 player, especially in the A-10 sked leaves us as weak.....I know there is this thought teams do not need that role in todays game.....but give me a 5 to complement Hass and others. to open the floor more.....next years group has that?...... please tell me that is in the pipeline.....
This goes back to last year. Everyone knew we needed to bring in a big man which many people on this board were sure Hurley would be able to do and then we get Andre Berry. Who not only is no help this year but will tie up a scholarship for the next two years as well.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

208, your thoughts.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

What a great effort tonight. Thought they had this one, they didn't, but this team can play with any in the conference. Good job.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Bottom line here:

Make your FT's.

The other team never misses at the end, shots or FT's.

We never make at the end, good shot or not.

It's not luck. It's certainly not clutch.

Wonder if some day, we'll start winning some of these games.

It's beyond amazing how we fall short, time after time after time, and never win even one of these.

This team must have quite a reputation. Nobody wants to be the first to lose a big game against Rhody, even at URI.

I've followed this program for 50 years, and I've never EVER seen a streak of close losses like this, without even winning one against a good team.

Ever. And it really doesn't matter how we lose. We just lose. I think we've exhausted just about every way to lose games like this.

Our players can make plays all night long, but when it comes time to make just ONE play, they don't do it.

208, yeah great effort. Agree. No problem there.

When will YOU get tired of this?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:208, your thoughts.....
Great game, great effort. People need to look at how this team has played over the course of this year and count the number of people that have thrown in the towel on the season...guessing it's at least half on this board. That they hung all night with a top 20 team says a lot... what it doesn't say is that the coach sucks (he doesn't, he's very good) and that next year's team will be so much better (no one knows).

They will be a force to be reckoned with in Brooklyn.
josephski
Tom Garrick

208 seems like a relatively new fan. Give him some time and he'll eventually realize that these games are the norm. Not the exception.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

We're like water. We seek our own level.
josephski
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Great game, great effort. People need to look at how this team has played over the course of this year and count the number of people that have thrown in the towel on the season...guessing it's at least half on this board. That they hung all night with a top 20 team says a lot... what it doesn't say is that the coach sucks (he doesn't, he's very good) and that next year's team will be so much better (no one knows).

I like your optimism but it's not just this year that people are upset about. I hate posting this again and again but Hurley is now 0-14 against top 50 rpi teams since last year. I'm pretty sure every poster who has been upset with Hurley is upset because they believe this team has more talent than we're showing. The posters who have given up are the ones who always bring up how we should expect to lose because we're without EC.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Bottom line here:

Make your FT's.

The other team never misses at the end, shots or FT's.

We never make at the end, good shot or not.

It's not luck. It's certainly not clutch.

Wonder if some day, we'll start winning some of these games.

It's beyond amazing how we fall short, time after time after time, and never win even one of these.

This team must have quite a reputation. Nobody wants to be the first to lose a big game against Rhody, even at URI.

I've followed this program for 50 years, and I've never EVER seen a streak of close losses like this, without even winning one against a good team.

Ever. And it really doesn't matter how we lose. We just lose. I think we've exhausted just about every way to lose games like this.

Our players can make plays all night long, but when it comes time to make just ONE play, they don't do it.

208, yeah great effort. Agree. No problem there.

When will YOU get tired of this?
I won't ever get tired of this. If they always play like this against ranked teams...I'm fine with it. You left this team for dead two months ago, so I'm kinda surprised you even watched...and tonight, they hung all night with an elite (highly ranked) team. What a great game to watch. Any time you are rooting for an unranked team, and they take a top 20 to the wire, you gotta love the competition... They are NOT RANKED...everyone KNOWS they are not ranked, you've ranted about how they sucked all year...so, rather than being pummeled for losing...give them the credit they deserve for hanging tough, with a shorthanded roster....everyone...please.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This team had better figure out how to win these types of games next season.

And it doesn't matter how much talent we have, or will have.

There will be close games against better teams, to be good and make the NCAA tourney, you HAVE to win some of them.

We're not going anywhere this season, so this isn't as big a crusher as it would have been, if we currently were a bubble team.

But next year......

P.S. I've said this before, 208. The same thing is going to happen in NY next month. We will give someone fits, and lose somehow. It's what we do.

I've seriously never seen anything like this. It's truly mind boggling. You would think that we would win ONE of these, somehow. You know, an opponent miss a key shot or FT. Or we actually make one.

It will happen, sometime. Someday.

I cannot believe that some people are satisfied with this. Oh, great effort, we hung with a ranked team, so what?

And right, Hurley's record in close games against top teams has to be far and away the worst in the country over the last 2 years.

I know it's driving me crazy, and I'm sure it's doing the same to him, too.

DO something about it. And some people think not having EC is why we've lost all these games this season. We lost plenty of these WITH him last season too.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote:208 seems like a relatively new fan. Give him some time and he'll eventually realize that these games are the norm. Not the exception.
The years are not as connected as everyone wishes they were. This year...has nothing to do with last year or next year...and absolutely nothing to do with 17 or 18 or 19 years ago...or 10 to 15 years from now... People 'like' to do that, because it makes them feel more knowledgeable...but, they are still...not connected... sorry to break that.

I know it would make the long-timers feel better to say 'we always do this', but this (depleted) roster doesn't connect to last years or next year's...and those who say 'next year will be better', are only guessing/hoping. ... I know, I know...I don't know anything. The shots missed at the end were probably a directly connected result of 'they always do that'.

This team battles and can definitely position to make noise in Brooklyn.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

I like your optimism but it's not just this year that people are upset about. I hate posting this again and again but Hurley is now 0-14 against top 50 rpi teams since last year. I'm pretty sure every poster who has been upset with Hurley is upset because they believe this team has more talent than we're showing. The posters who have given up are the ones who always bring up how we should expect to lose because we're without EC.
What about the possibility that...this team has "less talent", and it's a huge plus that DH is bringing them this close in these kinds of games?
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
brady1 wrote:STC are you Rambones son? Young DOOM!

GO RHODY!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yes, part of the "Legion of "
Pretty sure I called how this game was going to turn out. Don't mistake my realism for pessimism.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm really glad that you [208] think we'll all of a sudden start winning these types of games.

Keep thinking it.

I'll join you, when we actually start doing it.

It could be a while.

I know this gets people upset, but even Baron's teams won a few close games against good teams.

He actually had a player or two, that could make a shot, or play good D when it counts.

This team has NOBODY. JG, as good as he's playing, doesn't come through in the clutch. He's absolutely killed us at the FT line a few times this season, when just making a FT or 2 would have won a couple of tight games. Our star PG can NOT keep doing this.

He's way more talented than Marquis Jones was. But again, Jones was way more clutch.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Count me as one of the folks who thinks this was a heartbreaker, but a great experience in the drama of lead change land, right up to that stupid three pointer. Great game and I don't have a ton of criticism because I really feel for these guys, so close once again and the effort was outstanding. Too bad we just can't break through, if for nothing else because our players really deserve some of these big wins.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I never said they (would say "we", but I'm not on the team) will "all of a sudden start winning these types of games". One of these days, there will be a breakthrough...could be 86 years, could be next week. I don't know when, but what I DO know is that my emotions about it (and yours) will have ZERO impact on it. So, let's wrap up the fretting about this one (no value to it whatsoever) and move on to the next positive possibility...@VCU.

GO RHODY!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Same old same old. At least they didn't put up a stinker like they did vs St. Joe's. Always come up just a little short. Ft shooting issue reared its ugly head tonight. Garretts misses from the line in the 2nd half were a killer. Your pg cannot go 0-3 late in the game missing the front end on one trip. At least all these close losses don't really matter much this season as it isn't as if a postseason bid was in the offering. I just hope that things even out next season with us being on the winning side.

Great crowd and energy in the building tonight. Can't complain too much about officiating but it is worth noting the visiting team got to the line more once again in a URI home game.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Back from the game.
Valiant effort against a very fine team.
Dayton played without the bullish Kendall Pollard.
Sad that Garrett played another great game, but
failed to make any of his free throws.
Terrell and Hassan were great down the stretch.
Unfortunately, the game came down to a successful
broken play by Dayton and our usual
lousy final shot play, resulting in failure.
Not to be snide, but when we went up
with 3 minutes left, I was wondering
just how we'd lose this game.
Different team and the same script.
Some things just never seem to change.
Another huge enthusiastic crowd goes home
disappointed,
Anyway, I got to meet a couple of Keaney Blue
members, Elm City Ram, all the way from Hartford,
and Section 208. Both nice guys. Always good to put the faces with the names.
Ramulous was on hand as always.
I had some Dayton fans in front of me. Good fans.
They travel so well. Loads of buses outside to transport them.
Scoochie Smith is a player. He made a couple of
unbelievable shots, one might be the shot of the year,
falling out of bounds under the basket in the first half.
Good game for the ESPN2 audience.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR, you wonder what it's going to take to win one of these.

It's like we play well for the better part of 38 minutes, and we run short of talent in the last 2.

It just has to be a mental thing. For quite a while now.

It's not a physical lack of talent. That's what makes this even more maddening.

We don't have a TJ, that's for sure. And he wasn't even close to the most talented player on last year's team, but made the plays [and shots] when it counted.

We are missing his mental toughness. Someone on this team has to step up and take his place.

Rod, how many "broken plays" have killed us this season? A few, I think. The ball always seems to find our opponent and they never miss. That is some luck for sure.

I think we are owed some luck big time, you think?
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Just got home.. Great meeting you too rod !

FTs... Ughhh

We are so snake bitten :(
josephski
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
josephski wrote:
What about the possibility that...this team has "less talent", and it's a huge plus that DH is bringing them this close in these kinds of games?
Like I said we're 0-14 against top 50 rpi teams over the last year and a half. If DH is bringing us close in these games then so what? We haven't won any big games so what does that prove? This is a reoccurring theme. If you think that we're a team that has the talent of a ~150 rpi team then yes, Hurley is doing a great job and is beating better teams than us but I just don't feel like that's the case.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramulous must be happy with the result.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Was nice meeting you, Rod...I shoulda stuck around to meet ECR, too, since I'm also from the Hartford area. And, yeah...Scoochie can play....

I know it's hard to 'not' think the 'same old things' will happen, but, eventually, and most importantly -> without notice...they don't.

We've discussed how the Red Sox winning the WS can't really be compared, but, it is kinda similar, just at a different level. The Sox made the playoffs, even the WS several times and just lost...for decades...seemingly because they always 'found a way to lose'... and many believed that that's just the way it was and would always be. Buckner in '86, Game 7 vs the Yanks in 03...and boom...they lose again. When they won in 04...was a lot of the same guys, but just a totally different year, not connected to any previous year...and even then, when down 0-3, with Rivera on the mound and the lead...few thought they'd win then either.

Long way around to say...keep rooting for this team, they don't give up, the fans shouldn't either . It will turn around, and no one (or very few anyway) commenting on this board will have much impact, so why not keep looking/waiting for the upside. Sports is supposed to be fun...good things always happen eventually, not much sense in getting would up about the bad. I'm sure DH and the players feel bad enough about tonight...nothing we can do about it.

Nest stop, VCU.

GO RHODY!