2016-17 Schedule Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 2016-17 Schedule Discussion

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Since the home opener is usually against a nobody, I doubt it's anywhere close to a sellout.
Unless they are ranked...then, I have no doubt it will be. ;)
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

When was the last time URI was ranked, period? Forget about starting the season ranked, but ranked at any point in time? Would be very surprised if we can't sellout.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

860_rhody wrote:When was the last time URI was ranked, period? Forget about starting the season ranked, but ranked at any point in time? Would be very surprised if we can't sellout.
2008 i think. Although i may be wrong
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

So Danny Hamilton from UCONN is going to the draft. Now I REALLY want to play them.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

They have some good talent coming in, but that hurts them no doubt.

Funny how I like the UConn women, but can't stand the men's team.

I shall shed no tears for them.......
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I have edited the first post to reflect the Rothstein information on the HOF tipoff and will continue to edit the first post as more information on the schedule comes in.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Based on other posters, we started the season ranked in the 1998-99 season. That year we opened up at the PCC on 11/9/98 against TCU as part of the CoSIDA Classic doubleheader against TCU. PC against Vanderbilt was the other game. Our on campus debut was 11/24/98 against Brown. I haven't been able to find attendance figures for either game.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

URI was ranked #23 in the 1998-99 preseason AP poll. The last time they were ranked period was 2007-08, when they were as high as 22.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sch ... de-island/
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Based on other posters, we started the season ranked in the 1998-99 season. That year we opened up at the PCC on 11/9/98 against TCU as part of the CoSIDA Classic doubleheader against TCU. PC against Vanderbilt was the other game. Our on campus debut was 11/24/98 against Brown. I haven't been able to find attendance figures for either game.
The TCU game at the PCC which URI won had an attendance of 5,102. The Rams then beat Vanderbilt the next night 82-69, before 5,420. The home opener against Brown in Keaney had a full house including standing room of 3,885.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Thanks. So this idea that we're guaranteed a sell out if we start the year ranked isn't accurate. Possible? Yes. Definite? No.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

For the record, in the Ryan era the seven highest attended openers were:

1. 2008, Brown, 5,859
2. 2002, USC, 5,785
3. 2003, Northeastern, 5,685
4. 2013, Maine, 5,410
5. 2004, Brown, 5,220
6. 2014, American, 5,089
7. 2011 Norfolk State, 5,045 (Hurley's first season)

The smallest attendance was in 2011, Baron's last season, versus Hofstra, 3,220.

The loss to Norfolk State in 2011 was the sole home opener loss in Ryan history.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

An item on my bucket list (which will never happen) is to one day see a Rhody basketball game in Keaney Gym in front of a sold out crowd, giving the Cameron Indoors effect. That would be awesome.
GO RAMS
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Don't get me wrong, I love the Ryan Center and I think it's great venue for cbb (definitely the best in RI...sorry big ed), but being a fan in my 20's, I have never had the Keaney Gym experience. I am very envious of you all.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It wouldn't give you a Cameron Indoor vibe, but I've always thought they should do one of the exhibition games in Keaney.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Thanks. So this idea that we're guaranteed a sell out if we start the year ranked isn't accurate. Possible? Yes. Definite? No.
From the above...it looks like the last time they were ranked for a home opener, it was a sellout...and if they are ranked for the home opener this year, it will also be a sellout.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

They drew 5102 as part of a doubleheader in Providence coming off an Elite 8 season with Lamar Odom making his Rhody debut. 5102 wouldn't sell out the Ryan Center. They sold out Keaney, which is half the size of the Ryan Center.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

While I loved Kearney, I am no fan of financially unwise moves or romantic notions. Exhibition games are part of the season ticket package and the number of season ticket holders would practically fill Keaney, especially considering the new fire rules which would prohibit the 500 standees formerly allowed and this fact brings Keaney's capacity down to the 3,385 level. Only a small number of students could get in.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

No way URI sells out the opener even if a Top 25 team unless it is against a marquee opponent. I think casual fans will take a wait and see approach next year, let URI prove themselves first.

The sense I get from talking to fellow alums/casual fans that follow URI is that they are tired of the hype and want some tangible results they can get excited about. Can't say I disagree...
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Here's what you aren't taking into account when you talk to 'casual fans/alums' imo... one of my kids that goes to URI lives with three other girls. She will go to 'some' of the games...her roommates hardly any at all. Most games, average attendance = about .5 from the 4 of them. For 'big' games (multiple definitions there), all 4 of them will go. My daughter's roommates are less fanatical than even 'casual fans'..they don't "follow URI"...at no point during the year will they be able to tell you what the record is...or name 5 teams in the Top 10...but they will all 4 go if the game is hyped at all...

If they open at home ranked...all 4 will go. And I'm sure there are lots of similar situations. Not talking about a year's worth of sellouts...talking about one game...the home opener (not an 'exhibition')...ranked. You only get one shot to be ranked for your home opener...and IF that happens...the game will sell out...
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

If URI opens ranked at home against a Maine or UNH type team I don't see a sell out but should see between 6500-7000. Last year they got 5102 for American and they had just as much hype and were "ranked" 33rd.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

and 'casual fan' recognizes and appreciates "33rd" as 'others receiving votes'. Don't think that resonates with 'less than casual' fan. I think "Less than casual" fan understands "Top 25"...
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Casual fans know the difference between an exciting game and a boring one. If we're top 25 but playing some no name school then I don't expect a sellout.

URI is also not a sports school. There's plenty of state schools that attract students due to their sports programs. URI is certainly not one of those schools so even with a top 25 ranking I'd imagine it will still take some wins before attendance is consistently good.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Here's what you aren't taking into account when you talk to 'casual fans/alums' imo... one of my kids that goes to URI lives with three other girls. She will go to 'some' of the games...her roommates hardly any at all. Most games, average attendance = about .5 from the 4 of them. For 'big' games (multiple definitions there), all 4 of them will go. My daughter's roommates are less fanatical than even 'casual fans'..they don't "follow URI"...at no point during the year will they be able to tell you what the record is...or name 5 teams in the Top 10...but they will all 4 go if the game is hyped at all...

If they open at home ranked...all 4 will go. And I'm sure there are lots of similar situations. Not talking about a year's worth of sellouts...talking about one game...the home opener (not an 'exhibition')...ranked. You only get one shot to be ranked for your home opener...and IF that happens...the game will sell out...
If your daughter or her roommates ever need me to fill in for a game just let me know. I'm sure given our history on this board you wouldn't mind! :shock: :lol: ;)

Anyways, you are definitely correct, I always tried to get my friends/roommates to go to games with me and they were always lukewarm on going unless:

1. Marquee opponent and/or ESPN is in town (kind of go hand in hand)
2. Pink out
3. I was getting them drunk either before or at the game (don't judge, this is what the Baron era did to us)
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

STC wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Here's what you aren't taking into account when you talk to 'casual fans/alums' imo... one of my kids that goes to URI lives with three other girls. She will go to 'some' of the games...her roommates hardly any at all. Most games, average attendance = about .5 from the 4 of them. For 'big' games (multiple definitions there), all 4 of them will go. My daughter's roommates are less fanatical than even 'casual fans'..they don't "follow URI"...at no point during the year will they be able to tell you what the record is...or name 5 teams in the Top 10...but they will all 4 go if the game is hyped at all...

If your daughter or her roommates ever need me to fill in for a game just let me know. I'm sure given our history on this board you wouldn't mind! :shock: :lol: ;)

Anyways, you are definitely correct, I always tried to get my friends/roommates to go to games with me and they were always lukewarm on going unless:

1. Marquee opponent and/or ESPN is in town (kind of go hand in hand)
2. Pink out
3. I was getting them drunk either before or at the game (don't judge, this is what the Baron era did to us)
Yep, it's the less than casual fan that makes the diff, I think. As far as #3 goes...not sure that's specific to the Baron era, is it? I thought that was what 'college' did for, er, I mean 'to' all of us? :lol:
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Attendance for URI games always starts off slow with the lesser name opponents. Even with all the hype last season, only a little over 5k came out for the Friday night opener against American. We will probably see something similar next year. Attendance will only rise as wins accumulate and the program gains momentum. If these do not happen, it will be the same 4-5k for games with it getting a bit better for more familiar names in conference play.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I love all the discussion. I'm in the camp of no sell out unless it's a big name brand school. Early season games don't normally draw as well as late season games being one of the reasons I say that. Also, in my opinion and only my opinion, it's going to take an NCAA berth to really change some is the perception of the program with the casual fan out there. Until that happens, we won't see a dramatic rise in attendance in the early part of the season.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

jmck wrote:If URI opens ranked at home against a Maine or UNH type team I don't see a sell out but should see between 6500-7000. Last year they got 5102 for American and they had just as much hype and were "ranked" 33rd.

I'm walking in the season opener with my rosary beads.
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

SmartyBarrett wrote:URI was ranked #23 in the 1998-99 preseason AP poll. The last time they were ranked period was 2007-08, when they were as high as 22./
Rhode Island broke into the Top 25 on Christmas Eve 2007 at #25 in both polls with a 11-1 record.

After beating Eastern Michigan and Georgia Southern in some strange little exempt tournament, they rose to #23 AP / #22 Coaches.

Then they crushed Fairleigh Dickinson at home 94-63 to move up to #22 AP / #20 Coaches. The lead of the AP story that night:
Associated Press wrote:Jim Baron says he would have reacted in disbelief if anyone had told him before the season that his Rhode Island team would open with a 14-1 record.

"I would have said, 'What are you drinking?'" Baron said.
The next week would introduce the challenge of Atlantic 10 play and a date at #17 Dayton where the Rams lost despite a strong second half push. Rhody squeaked by Duquesne at home to close the week 15-2 (1-1 A10) and earn only a minor de-rating to #23 AP / #21 Coaches.

Rhody then traveled to St Louis for a Thursday night tip at the site of the 1998 Elite 8 travesty. This time, Rhody played sloppy basketball the entire game and took the loss in their only game of the week to fall out of both polls when they were released on January 21.

While the Rams responded with a nice 4 game winning streak where they were getting 7000+ once students returned to the Ryan Center, including a sold-out pink out game vs Dayton, they next lost a heartbreaker at UMass and won at Rose Hill to go to 20-4.

From there, you know the story. Let's just say that season "didn't end well".
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Valparaiso's Alec Peters has declared for the draft but won't be hiring an agent.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/p ... story.html
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Go pro, young man (esp if on URI sched), go pro!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

We play out there this year.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Valpo completely different team w/o Peters.

Outstanding player.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Hope he stays... it will be better for our RPI after we beat them.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Worry about just beating them? And, chances are better without that guy...
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah duh, valpo will be garbage without him. Stay in school Alec! We need marquee road wins!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Just my .02...but I think, just win the games and don't worry about 'who stays' on the opponent's side. Just win...and it will take care of itself...
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steveystuds06
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Just my .02...but I think, just win the games and don't worry about 'who stays' on the opponent's side. Just win...and it will take care of itself...
With Peters we have an opportunity to beat a team that should win their conference and will probably be a tournament team. Without him, that's not happening. I personally want as many chances as possible for GOOD wins for our team next year.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Wanting Peters to stay seems like overthink... "Winning" is the most important thing...more likely to beat valpo without peters...so, hopefully, he goes. Beating them without Peters is better than losing to them with him...chances of losing to them are increased if he stays...so, freekn just go, young man....
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It's highly unlikely Peters returns to Valpo.
First he will likely impress NBA scouts and could go NBA Draft

But second, he graduated Valpo in only 3 years so he will go forward as a grad student meaning he could play immediately anywhere.

If he does not go NBA he will want to showcase and tweak his wares in a high major conference. Play stronger competition every game and show scouts he can compete in high majors.

Plan on Valpo minus Peters.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I'd rather take a win without Peters than a loss with Peters at Valpo..no guarantee at all we win at Valpo with him still on the team.
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Come to URI Peters!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

If Alec is gone, so are four other guys, so they will be a much different team.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Back to the schedule;

HOF tournament details as of now. Dates/times to follow.

@ Mohegan

Game 1: URI vs. Cincinnati
Game 2: URI vs. Duke/Penn State

@ Ryan

Game 1: URI vs. Brown
Game 2: URI vs. Marist
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Where does it say we are playing brown and Marist as part of the tourney ?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If we're playing Brown in the tourney, doesn't that now put us back to 26 games scheduled so far? Or will we be playing Brown twice?
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

We are playing Brown only once. Playing them in the HOF game means we will play Brown in back to back home games this season and next. It will also cost URI because they will now have to buy a game to replace the original Brown game. The plan is to play 31 games, so we have to schedule 5 more OOC games.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It sucks that we get an annual always on the schedule opponent for a tournament game.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Any word on who the 5 other potential games are?
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Not a lot of definitive action yet and with the Brown HOF match-up, we have gone backwards in that another opponent has to be found. I know they are trying for a P5 team on a neutral site. Lots of work to be done but we should get some news about the cupcakes on the schedule soon. Getting the big boys is more complicated and will take time.