2014-15 Schedule

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Re: 2014-15 Schedule

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

Ok.... what what your referring to: "our RPI tanked when we lost 7 games in a row to middle to lower level teams IN OUR CONFERENCE. going into conference play in all 3 of those potential NCAA seasons we were positioned for a tourney berth if we took care of business in the A10. the quality wins go by the wayside when you get swept by UMass, lose to St Bona, get waxed by Richmond etc etc."

So your saying in 2007-08 (20-12,7-9), if we had not "lost 7 in a row" (it was actually 8 of our last 9 games, apparently you're not that informed) you SERIOUSLY think we had a chance?

Why? Because we beat Syracuse on their worst season ever??? Or mabye you think the wins we had vs QUALITY TEAMS such as:
Florida Atlantic
Brown
Stetson
U. Alabama Birmingham
Northeastern
Toledo
Hofstra
Georgia Southern
Fairleigh Dickinson
New Hampshire
..................You think that will tip the scales when it comes down to the NCAA committee? People like Joe Lunardi???

Yes we beat those teams...Yes we actually played ALL of those awful teams.

Now what part of those wins would have supported an NCAA at-large bid? That's laughable!! No matter how many points you win by. You need wins vs top 100 and top 50 caliber teams. If you win out your season but don't play anyone that matters...you can have a happy ending in the NIT (or a lesser post season tourney, CBI) and that's exactly what happened the next 2 years after.

2008-09 (23-11, 11-5)
Brown
Monmouth
Hartford
Northeastern
New Hampshire
Central Connecticut
Fairleigh Dickinson
Akron
Toledo
..........We lost to DUKE, Villanova, Oklahoma St. and Providence on the road and that was the highlight of the season!!!!!!! (only good losses)

Do you see where I'm going with this?

2009-10 (26-10,9-6)
Brown
Holy Cross
Stony Brook
Quinnipiac
Northeastern
Fairfield
Drexel
Akron
.....We lost to VCU on the road and barely escaped Oklahoma St. at home by 4 points.

2010-11 (20-14, 8-7)
Brown
Illinois Chicago (WE LOST)
Drexel
Northeastern
Quinnipiac (WE LOST)
New Hampshire
Lafayette
College of Charleston

....We lost to Pitt on the road and Providence at home...SEE YA! Another season down the toilet.

You can sprinkle Davidson and Boston College into the mix of these teams that no one cares about during any specific year we played them during this 4 year stretch. If your still scratching your head at this point I really don't care... because you don't understand why we don't get the respect we desire and claim to deserve and quite frankly you never will.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The only point proven is that you are ranting fool. I think beating good teams get us the respect, and let me know the next time you hear me complaining that we didn't get the respect we deserve, it would be a first.

The year we beat Syracuse we were ranked or at worst Top 30 heading into conference play, so apparently someone thought we were pretty good. I know we hadn't yet earned the respect of the almighty Ram Stampede, but I assume guys like Lunardi actually had their eye on us if we were getting Top 25 votes.

Not sure if you have heard the news, but the A10 is a pretty good conference -- you can get Top 100 and even Top 50 wins in our league. Teams like VCU, Dayton, GW and a couple others all figure to be in that range this year, so there are 5-6 wins of importance that are possible. Add in PC, 2-3 good games in Orlando, and what I assume will be 1-2 more quality road/neutral site games added to our current schedule and you will end up with 10-12 chances for high quality wins that can matter on your resume.

Curious who you think we should be scheduling? LMK how many ACC, Big 10 or Pac 12 teams you think we can get to come to the Ryan Center....if your solution is to just take our team on the road for the entire OOC schedule so we can play elite level competition night in and night out, then you should talk to Danny and explain the wisdom behind your madness.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I think the potential NCAA teams under Baron were :
07-08 (lost 7 of last 9 and then lost 1st round of A-10)
08-09 (played well in A10 to get on bubble but lost on final possession to UMass in last game and then again in 1st round of A-10)
09-10 (lost 5 of last 7, won 2 in A-10 before losing in semifinal)

Truthfully, you could add a big out-of-conf. win to any of those 3 teams' resume and I still don't think they should have gotten in but I think the point is if hypothetically they didn't fall apart but just played mediocre down the stretch would their out-of-conference's have kept them out. They actually played a decent out-of-conf in 08-09 (Duke, VCU, Penn St., Villanova, Oklahoma St.) but the other 2 years, their out-of-conference schedules were pathetic.
Personally, I'll wait to see the final schedule before judging it, we're always going to have some bad teams on our home schedule if we want to have out-of-conference home games but they do need to be offset with bigger challenges.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

his argument is invalid since in 07/08 we were ranked #22/20 (after non conference) in the country before the slide, in 09/10 everyone had us in the dance until the final few weeks when we collapsed (lost 6 of last 10)
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Since this argument started with the fact that URI is welcoming Delaware State to the RC this season, note that both Dayton and GW hosted DelSt last season and it didn't seem to hurt their selection chances all that much.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

bigappleram wrote:every schedule in the country has a few cupcakes, calm down people...
"Calmer than you are."

(Sorry, couldn't resist a Lebowski reference)
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Since this argument started with the fact that URI is welcoming Delaware State to the RC this season, note that both Dayton and GW hosted DelSt last season and it didn't seem to hurt their selection chances all that much.
Good point, in addition Dayton's home out of conf. included St. Francis PA & NY, Iona, Winthrop, and Central Michigan.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

It's hard to put together a balanced schedule unless you have the resume. I can speak from experience from PC, a team off of an NIT and NCAA appearance in back-to-back years. In 2013 during an NIT run, Cooley reached out to several teams. While in Waco playing Baylor, he reached out to Scott Drew I believe to try to get a home and home. Baylor said no way. The best he got was a "neutral" and home with Kentucky, a game where Kentucky got home court treatment last year. This year Cooley worked hard to get a home and home with Michigan for Henton's senior year. Again, that fell through. I believe he also worked Kansas, Florida, and a few others. Nothing. Unless you have great OOC tournament runs where you get to face loaded teams, or play one-off games (or 2 for 1s) at their place, you really have to prove it over several years to get a schedule most fans would enjoy. Even other A10 teams like UMASS, GW, Dayton, I don't want to say they lucked into good RPI games, but most of those came from unscheduled tournament matchups if memory serves correct.

It's tough to blame the coach or the university in situations like that, I don't think most coaches go into scheduling thinking "Yay, lets schedule Deleware and UNH and Holy Cross and win a lot of easy games at home."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ram Stampede wins worst argument skills ever. Just completely and utterly dismantled his own argument with a 2000 word tirade. Lol.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

rjsuperfly66 wrote:It's hard to put together a balanced schedule unless you have the resume. I can speak from experience from PC, a team off of an NIT and NCAA appearance in back-to-back years. In 2013 during an NIT run, Cooley reached out to several teams. While in Waco playing Baylor, he reached out to Scott Drew I believe to try to get a home and home. Baylor said no way. The best he got was a "neutral" and home with Kentucky, a game where Kentucky got home court treatment last year. This year Cooley worked hard to get a home and home with Michigan for Henton's senior year. Again, that fell through. I believe he also worked Kansas, Florida, and a few others. Nothing. Unless you have great OOC tournament runs where you get to face loaded teams, or play one-off games (or 2 for 1s) at their place, you really have to prove it over several years to get a schedule most fans would enjoy. Even other A10 teams like UMASS, GW, Dayton, I don't want to say they lucked into good RPI games, but most of those came from unscheduled tournament matchups if memory serves correct.

It's tough to blame the coach or the university in situations like that, I don't think most coaches go into scheduling thinking "Yay, lets schedule Deleware and UNH and Holy Cross and win a lot of easy games at home."
teams in the a10 and the current big east have to play the RPI game, they have to beat a game team in OOC then beat the top teams in lower conferences (a Davidson in the SoCon for example)
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I for once will take the middle ground here as I see merits from both sides. The general theme of ram stampede is correct, it's just getting lost in a ton of gobbledy gook.

Everyone else is also right because we were tanked by the end of season collapses.

One more win in 2010 (Umass, Charlotte) and we were dancing. To RS's point, which i believe is - if we had swapped out a crap team and put in a good one, just that few ranking points on the SOS/RPI would've been good enough to get us in, regardless of the losses.

So everyone's right, nothing to see here

(please someone put in the naked gun lead in clip)
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:Ram Stampede wins worst argument skills ever. Just completely and utterly dismantled his own argument with a 2000 word tirade. Lol.
Hey thanks TP. At the very least give me some points for energy and enthusiasm. No one else was saying very much. I just want us to cover all the bases when it comes time for selection Sunday. #RhodytillIdie #shakehands&moveon #NOexcuses

Fair enough Blue Man. Nicely done. +2
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Here is your random fact for the day- Delaware State head coach Keith Walker's son, Dockery, plays basketball for Brown.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

(please someone put in the naked gun lead in clip)..

Hey, I did this a few weeks back :)
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Added Delaware State game to schedule. Per the Basketball Travelers Schedule Board I believe we are still looking for 2 guarantee games in mid-November.

OOC (12):

Home (6):
TBD - Home OOC #1
TBD - UMass-Lowell
SAT 11/22/2014 - Nebraska
SAT 12/13/2014 - Delaware State
SAT 12/20/2014 - Detroit
WED 12/31/2014 - Brown

Away (3):
TBD - Road OOC #1
WED 12/10/2014 - Providence
TBD - Southern Miss

Neutral – Orlando Classic* (3):
THU 11/27/2014 - TBD
SAT 11/28/2014 - TBD
SUN 11/30/2014 - TBD

A-10 (18):

Home (9):
Davidson
George Washington
St. Bonaventure
VCU
Fordham
La Salle
Massachusetts
St. Joseph's
St. Louis

Away (9):
Dayton
Duquense
George Mason
Richmond
Fordham
La Salle
Massachusetts
St. Joseph's
St. Louis

*2014 Orlando Classic Team Participants:
Georgia Tech
Kansas
Marquette
Michigan State
Rhode Island
Rider
Santa Clara
Tennessee
Last edited by RoadyJay 9 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

I assume a road buy game will be added as well
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

It does seem that 2 more Home games would present an imbalance.. so maybe you're right.. could be one more road and one more home.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

I believe we can add 3 more games (the 3 tourney games count as one)
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I was trying to match up the known schedule with the Basketball Travelers site. In mid June we were looking for 3 more games. With the addition of Delaware St I'm assuming we need two more games now for a 30 game schedule.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

I wasn't looking at that, just saying they 3 could add 3 games (1 may be set already)
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Since URI is participating in a three game exempt tournament, I think the maxiumum number of games allowed is 30. Rhody could then schedule two more games if it chooses to max out. Since the revenue for an away buy game is part of the coach's contract, the Rams usually have such a game and I would think Hurley would want one this season. That would leave one more game which they could schedule if they so chose.

Per NCAA regulations:

Regular Season Games Allowed:31 games in one season, consisting of 27 regular schedule games + up to 4 games if in an in-season tournament like the Preseason NIT or Great Alaska Shootout (my quick research showed most are just 3 game tournaments), or29 games if not participating in any in-season tournaments.
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I would think a BCS school would be the away game treated as a buy for the purposes of the coaches compensation.....one time deal with no return home game....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramulous wrote:I would think a BCS school would be the away game treated as a buy for the purposes of the coaches compensation.....one time deal with no return home game....

Yes. Per the known schedule as of now, there does not appear to be such a game.

At Auburn, at LSU, at Nebraska, at Rutgers, at Duke, at Syracuse, at Kansas of the last decade have been buy games (no return) where the revenue URI received went to the coach's compensation.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I wonder if URI is having an issue securing an away guarantee game against a high profile opponent this season. Nothing has yet been mentioned and most big schools have released their schedules or had the names of opponents leaked out. Rhody has won its last two straight buy games at SEC schools and has actually split its last six which had a close loss at Duke. Rhode Island may not exactly be the type of team that programs buy a game with as they want a very high probability for a win (home teams have about a .600-.700 win% for all games and would probably want a .800-.900 win% for a buy game).

URI Buy games of last decade
2013-14 LSU W 74-70
2012-13 Auburn W 78-72 2OT
2011-12 Nebraska L 83-63
2010-11 Florida L 84-59
2009-10 no game
2008-09 Duke L 82-79
2007-08 Syracuse W 91-89
2006-07 Kansas L 80-69
2005-06 no game
2004-05 Rutgers L 72-58

It appears that Rhody may be set for the follwing year if the report above is true that the Rams will again travel to Cameron to play at Duke in 2015-16 season.
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Was the Duke game NEXT season (15-16) or the following? Nov/Dec 2016? I thought the latter?
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Was the Duke game NEXT season (15-16) or the following? Nov/Dec 2016? I thought the latter?

Perhaps Blue Man can better clarify what he meant by 2016. It could be either the 2015-16 or 2016-17 seasons.
Blue Man
Post subject: Re: 2014-15 SchedulePostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:12 am

I have it on very good authority that we will be back at Cameron Indoor in 2016. Not for this year obviously, but more upward signs.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

We probably are going to have wonder and wait another five weeks before the official schedule is announced.

It was released between September 6th and the 12th the preceding three years.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

RF1 wrote:We probably are going to have wonder and wait another five weeks before the official schedule is announced.

I've heard early August
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Very cool!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

twisted3829 wrote:
My guess is we get Ga Tech, Marquette, or Tenn in the first round. Kansas and Michigan State will get Santa Clara and Rider.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:We probably are going to have wonder and wait another five weeks before the official schedule is announced.
Last Year the Bracket was announced the morning of July 16th which was a Tuesday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... -classic-3
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think RF1 was talking about URI's official regular season schedule.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

They may not be 100% sure on all the opponents but URI just put out a press release that season tickets sales are now open. It did not mention the number of games but instead described the home schedule as:

The 2014-15 season features a slate of home contests featuring four teams that were among the field of 68 in the 2014 NCAA Tournament - Nebraska, Massachusetts, VCU, and Saint Louis.

http://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2014 ... 0804hl2ge7
RhodyO
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyO »

URI to play Kansas
RhodyO
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyO »

Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Some thoughts, with focus on Kansas/Mich St: http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... do-classic
Go Rhody!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Andrew wrote:Some thoughts, with focus on Kansas/Mich
Well that's a fairly obnoxious little article.

Was not expecting Kansas, though.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It doesn't say it in the press release, but if you divide the total cost by the per game price it comes out to 16 home games, and we already know 14 of them: UMass-Lowell, Nebraska, Delaware St., Detroit, Brown, Davidson, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, VCU, Fordham, LaSalle, UMass, St. Joe's, and St. Louis.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:It doesn't say it in the press release, but if you divide the total cost by the per game price it comes out to 16 home games, and we already know 14 of them: UMass-Lowell, Nebraska, Delaware St., Detroit, Brown, Davidson, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, VCU, Fordham, LaSalle, UMass, St. Joe's, and St. Louis.

Are you sure no exhibition games are in there to get the average per game ticket price? Didn't Rhody play one exhibition game at home last year (and one closed scrimmage)?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I don't know what the two remaining home games are, but I'd assume that at least one of them would be an exhibition game.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Luke Murray updated the Basketball Traveler's board yesterday, we're looking to play a buy game on December 27th.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

As of today, out of 14 A-10 schools, only Duquesne, La Salle and St. Bona have announced their OOC schedules.
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Fordham released today
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Most of the schools that have announced are not involved in any early season tournaments. Fordham has seven home tilts all against weaker foes with Siena being the toughest. They have only two bona fide road games - at Penn State and Maryland and two at neutral sites - St. John's and Manhattan. Fordham has better prospects this year, but given their recent history, this is a good schedule for them. They could go 8-3 or 7-4 as they enter conference play.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

LSU at home? That's huge! EC said it this week , hopefully it's true.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

CT Rhody wrote:LSU at home? That's huge! EC said it this week , hopefully it's true.
Where is the source for this? That would be a good game for the home slate but I am a bit skeptical. After beating the Tigers in Baton Rouge this past season, I would think they wouldn't want any part of Rhody.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Not sure there is room on this schedule (?)

http://www.lsusports.net/SportSelect.db ... PSID=27828
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I thought E.C. just misspoke.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Ace - I assumed that too but it is an odd slip.