2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
URI_05 wrote: 1 year ago

That first post is fantastic.

I will say...I think Georgetown and PC are going to be disappointed with their hires.

If English does turn out to be the guy..great, but I wasn't overly impressed with what he had done against URI both games.

His best 2 players were inherited from when he got there, and 2 other starters came over with him from Tennessee on their 5th and 6th years of eligibility, so I don't think they could've stayed there.

For some reason I have big Dave Cox vibes from English. I could be totally wrong, but it just feels that way. He has a similar level of success as Cox as a head coach through 2 years as well. Great quotes from him. Great support from great and good coaches he worked for. Dan Hurley said Dave Cox was ready to be a head coach. Rick Barnes said Kim English was ready to be a head coach.

Like Dave, Kim inherited some pieces; granted Paulsen wasn't a worldbeater - but he wasn't a shit show either.

However, those inherited pieces were his clear 2 best players (think Jeff and Cyril).

He brought in some of his own guys, and guys he had recruited under his previous job (think Cox's first recruiting class).

Now, we never got to see what happened next for English. The first 2 years are an indictment on what was in the building before you. The next ones are where it becomes more apparent who you are. Portal obviously changes that.

But for a program and fanbase that purports itself to be so far above us (and obviously, with the recent success and their conference, facilities and budget - they are) - but you couldn't hold onto your hometown hero who made you relevant. So now we'll see if it's PC or Cooley that made them, them. But they've become a stepping stone just like us - yet our last successful coach left us for a blue blood program. Theirs left them to rebuild a dying brand at a conference rival while tanking their season and twisting the knife on the way out the door.

My point being - if PC is SO FAR ahead of URI - why are they grabbing an up and comer and not swinging for a huge name? URI did. We said we were going to invest in athletics and bulid something. PC was willing to pay $5.25M to a coach with 3 NCAA wins in 12 years - you couldn't find a big name with that kind of scratch? If Kim really is the guy - you couldn't wait for him in a couple years while you take a shot on Pitino or someone with a short shelf-life instead of needing the on the job training?

Ed Cooley was a nobody from Hartford, so maybe this does work out. But to see PC fans now pretending that a coach who led a middle of the pack A10 team, who was middle of the pack in the worst A10 in our lifetime, is God - is great to see.
Cooley came from Fairfield. Before him Keno came from Drake. And before him Welsh from Iona. Not exactly powerhouse programs. So all 3 are pretty consistent t with English in that they were plucked from low/mid major places.
Yes, I agree. My point is that all of the investments they've made, and the stature that their fans believe they've attained, have given them the idea that they had become some kind of "destination" for coaches.

Hometown hero's departure to a rebuilding project at a conference rival (and his and the national media dragging PC on his way out the door), and their hire of said mid-major coach with little experience, would tell me they're still a stepping stone.

Obviously when compared to us they're in a better conference, have had more recent success, and have significantly better basketball facilities (arena notwithstanding, and not counting the WiFi). But despite all of that, they're not the destination they think they are, and now they're trying to act like getting Kim English was some great coup and they got the best of the college basketball world.

It's nice to see some of that fanbase humbled from time to time.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Never mind - thanks to the Google machine. Played 9 years in the NBA and had a career average of 2.2 points per game. Made $15.8 million bucks to suck. Nice work if you can get it!
He was a key component of the Stanford team that "beat" URI to go to the Final Four. And he was also an evil villain-type of player that made the "choke" symbol towards our team with his hands around his neck at the end of the game. Dirty player, etc.

So fuck him.
Mobley was fouled.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago FWIW, I think Cooley will be fine at Georgetown, provided that his exit from Providence isn't incredibly damaging to his reputation. (Mike Anderson, now ex-St. John's coach, never seemed to fully recover his reputation after knifing Missouri to go to Arkansas.) There are legitimate questions about Cooley's performance in the NCAA tournament, but his last losing season was his first at PC, roughly a dozen years ago. Maybe he never wins a title at Georgetown, but I'd be really surprised if they're not back to being a regular tournament participant.
100% agree with this, especially now with the transfer portal. Kids like him, he really connects with kids and I do not think he will have any problem pulling players in through the portal. I see Cooley, and now Georgetown, really benefitting from the portal. Not really sure why kids love him, but they seem to as well as the media. The guy gets fawned on by national media at a ridiculous level. And he gets a great whistle from the refs as well, curious if that was a PC thing or a Cooley thing. I do not think he is a great X and O coach which is why his teams have struggled in the tournament, but he will get guys to Georgetown and they will be successful in two or three years. He rebuilt the PC team last year through the portal with pretty good results, the collapse at the end not withstanding.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago FWIW, I think Cooley will be fine at Georgetown, provided that his exit from Providence isn't incredibly damaging to his reputation. (Mike Anderson, now ex-St. John's coach, never seemed to fully recover his reputation after knifing Missouri to go to Arkansas.) There are legitimate questions about Cooley's performance in the NCAA tournament, but his last losing season was his first at PC, roughly a dozen years ago. Maybe he never wins a title at Georgetown, but I'd be really surprised if they're not back to being a regular tournament participant.
100% agree with this, especially now with the transfer portal. Kids like him, he really connects with kids and I do not think he will have any problem pulling players in through the portal. I see Cooley, and now Georgetown, really benefitting from the portal. Not really sure why kids love him, but they seem to as well as the media. The guy gets fawned on by national media at a ridiculous level. And he gets a great whistle from the refs as well, curious if that was a PC thing or a Cooley thing. I do not think he is a great X and O coach which is why his teams have struggled in the tournament, but he will get guys to Georgetown and they will be successful in two or three years. He rebuilt the PC team last year through the portal with pretty good results, the collapse at the end not withstanding.
Yeah, no reason to think he won't be somewhat successful at Georgetown.
Although as I said before, I hope not because I am not a fan.

I doubt his reputation in Providence will ever be repaired.
And I am sure he will get an ugly reception every time they play at PC.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It was AMAZING to see PC fans humbled. All of them. I felt no remorse. Cooley completely botched the situation and tarnished his image but why the hell do I care. I don't. They as a collective are the most scorned lovers of all time right now. And in the midst of their PTSD instead of waiting a beat they moved to quickly make what I think was an overly safe hire. Safe in terms of its easy to defend and looks similar to Cooley archetype on paper. But Cooley had much much more experience when he was hired. IMO it's going to be 2-3 years of on the job training for English. How patient will their fans be with that?

As far as the PC jobs it's all relative. Yes it's a better job than Rhody...but it's prob the 7th or 8th best job in their own league. I don't think many places are destinations bc coaches even leave Kansas (Roy) and Kentucky (Pitino) for something they perceive as better at the time. There is almost always another job out there for someone maybe it's the NBA or a bluer blue blood but there is always something. Now it's much easier to retain coaches when you can pay top dollar, have amazing facilities and can compete for an NCAA tourney every year. But at some point, if successful, English will be gone.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Providence fans had a lot of fun when Hurley left (who they thought sucked anyway) or whenever a coaching rumor was brought up that had him leaving. They were so confident they had their guy and that he was theirs forever. Damn. Now, some claim he wasn’t all that good anyway, and they are lapping up those salacious stories, convincing themselves they’re true even if they’re not. People can talk themselves into believing all kinds of things if it makes them feel better. English is getting that “he chose us” vibe bump right now, like Cox did, but what else can you do as a fan?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

This is true Ace. I got dunked on plenty on Twitter about it.

That said, from what I can gather some of the "salacious" smoke out there is legit. No need to get into it here but it does seem like something else was going on there. Putting aside the entire haphazard manner in which he left after carefully cultivating his image and brand for over a decade.
In the press conference and in the interviews with Fanta and others he is coming off very hollow. Like he doesn't even believe what he is saying.
"I needed a change." "I had to think of Ed not Coach Cooley". Those are weird answers.

He could have said it was the 90s Gtown culture that attracted him. Wanted to work at the place one of his idols coached at (JT). Thought the DMV and talent potential there was greater. He didn't say any of that. Something rotten in Denmark. But again I don't care. I'm just happy that those delusional asshats got humbled publicly like no fanbase in history.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I know its meaningless and something many other coaches would say and have felt as well, but those old Kim English tweets about his dream being to coach at Georgetown someday just make it all even more funny!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Never mind - thanks to the Google machine. Played 9 years in the NBA and had a career average of 2.2 points per game. Made $15.8 million bucks to suck. Nice work if you can get it!
He was a key component of the Stanford team that "beat" URI to go to the Final Four. And he was also an evil villain-type of player that made the "choke" symbol towards our team with his hands around his neck at the end of the game. Dirty player, etc.

So fuck him.
I thought it was Lee who did the choke sign? Either way it was classless.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

It was Lee. Fuck 'em both.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 1 year ago Providence fans had a lot of fun when Hurley left (who they thought sucked anyway)
What's he up to these days?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago It was AMAZING to see PC fans humbled. All of them. I felt no remorse. Cooley completely botched the situation and tarnished his image but why the hell do I care. I don't.
Agree, except, I do care a little bit ...but just because of the theater of it all...not that I really "care" care...
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
Good find Stevie , I don’t ever see Bennett leaving there he’s been there forever
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Mark Madsen didn't do the choke sign.

He did the gorilla slam where he did the two hand dunk and then shook his arms in the air like he was King Kong and the NCAA loved it, so they kept playing it over and over again after the game and the following weekend on promos.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yup I remember that 25 years ago we were 1 minute from the final 4 , never felt the disgust I did that day walking out of the sports bar , I was inconsolable
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago It was Lee. Fuck 'em both.
Wow I always remembered it being Madsen...revisionist history I guess LOL. Anyway F all of them I'll never let go of that grudge.
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodyram99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyram99 »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago It was Lee. Fuck 'em both.
Wow I always remembered it being Madsen...revisionist history I guess LOL. Anyway F all of them I'll never let go of that grudge.
Painful memories lol. I was a student that year
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ugh Arthur Lee still gives me nightmares
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

How much money does DH make @ UConn ?
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

reef wrote: 1 year ago How much money does DH make @ UConn ?
Not sure but guessing a whole hell of a lot less than he will be making after they restructure/extend him once this tournament is over.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago Providence fans had a lot of fun when Hurley left (who they thought sucked anyway)
Making about half as much as Cooley? (Oh the injustice)

Oh yeah, also winning more NCAA Tournament games in 9 days than Big Ed has in his entire career.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

It sounds like Mike Rhoades is the front runner for the Penn State job. Will be interesting if he takes it or not.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I looked it up and DH got a raise from 2.75 M to 2.9 M which goes through 2027 , Cooley makes north of 5 M now so I would hope they give DH a raise

What happens say if Coach Cal takes the Texas job if they get rid of the interim job and Kentucky comes after DH if say Uconn wins this Natty ??
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Yeah I looked it up and DH got a raise from 2.75 M to 2.9 M which goes through 2027 , Cooley makes north of 5 M now so I would hope they give DH a raise

What happens say if Coach Cal takes the Texas job if they get rid of the interim job and Kentucky comes after DH if say Uconn wins this Natty ??
If Texas wins the National Championship would they still go after Coach Cal?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago Yeah I looked it up and DH got a raise from 2.75 M to 2.9 M which goes through 2027 , Cooley makes north of 5 M now so I would hope they give DH a raise

Great question Ramster
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
Making about half as much as Cooley? (Oh the injustice)

Oh yeah, also winning more NCAA Tournament games in 9 days than Big Ed has in his entire career.
As I said months ago w that stupid podcast thing they had

Cooley is sooo overated

Hurley rules

USc
South Dakota state
Richmond

What a loser

I wish he stayed cas I know the guy can’t coach and beat a superior team in the ncaa
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Great question Ramster
Absolutely a great question. Somehow I don't see DH and his mannerisms fitting well in Kentucky. He is a Northeast guy and I'm pretty sure Andrea and him know it.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Dan wants to win National Championships. It appears he can do that right where he is. He's not moving again.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Compelling speculation, Reef.

I don’t think Dan goes - IF Tx goes after him at all ( hard to let the existing interim coach go IF he gets to the F4, final game or wins a natty ).

I think they have their sights on Cal, fwiw. Which is a bit of a surprise to me because I think call’s best coaching days are already behind him; He doesn’t seem to have the fire in the belly anymore, imho.

As for Dan and UConn, I wonder how much they up his salary. Cooley just set the market and Dan is worth more than him. Does UConn exceed what Cooley just received plus a boost in UConn’s NIL pool ?

UConn is running significant deficits in athletics but Dan is the only significant athletics revenue source, I think, so they need to keep him now. That said, I would not be surprised if Dan’s agent reaches out to TX or Kentucky ( if Cal leaves for TX ) for additional leverage in getting Dan more money.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Dan the Man can get more out of his Top One Hundy's than other coaches get out of their Top-25's.

He's worth every penny. Won't be surprised to see him go for the money.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think he ultimately stays also but I would hope he gets a raise north of 4M , 2.9 seems way under paid now
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

He's probably pretty comfortable in Connecticut. Jersey guy straddling the Empire State in Connecticut.

Money will play into it, but so will locale and the job itself.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I mean, unless UConn is incredibly stupid, they're going to give Hurley a huge bump whenever their season concludes. Texas is the only job open that's arguably equivalent to UConn, and most of the scuttlebutt seems to be that the interim coach has a very good chance at keeping it now, except for that one report about Calipari months ago.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I cant believe there's even a conversation about whether or not Dan would leave UConn
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Geno got paid. So will Dan.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I mean, unless UConn is incredibly stupid, they're going to give Hurley a huge bump whenever their season concludes. Texas is the only job open that's arguably equivalent to UConn, and most of the scuttlebutt seems to be that the interim coach has a very good chance at keeping it now, except for that one report about Calipari months ago.
Can’t see Hurleys wife agreeing to move to Texas. She didn’t want to move to Connecticut
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

"Rhoades loves VCU, but...."

Nothing someone says before the word "BUT" really counts.

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Hot take

He will fail miserably there.

He was handed the keys to the most healthy program in the A-10 and has accomplished the bare minimum.

I just think he's a slightly above average coach. Average X's and O's.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Sounds like the perfect coach for Penn St. Since when do they really care about basketball anyway? Let him get his payday there.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I feel like Rhodes is a coach that flops out at a higher level
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The league is wide open. Cmonnnnnn Archie!!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago I feel like Rhodes is a coach that flops out at a higher level
He could've kept on being successful at VCU and got a better job.

He is from state college so maybe that made a big difference.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Who will be on VCUs short list of Rhodes leaves ??
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Who will be on VCUs short list of Rhodes leaves ??
Maybe they promote from within, associate HC Jamal Brunt.
He is a highly respected assistant, coached offense and defense, and an excellent recruiter.
Also did well at Miami.

Matt Langel may also be worth a call.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Mad Dog Mark Madsen

lol j/k
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

The A10 has loss 2 coaches so far
Kim English and Mike Rhoades. Are there any other on teams list
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago The A10 has loss 2 coaches so far
Kim English and Mike Rhoades. Are there any other on teams list
And the conf sucked this year. It has me scratching my head and wondering how desperate those programs are to jump right into underwhelming hires.