2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago More coach shuffling

He didn't have to go too far.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Granted Miami isn't exactly a powerhouse, but I don't like this hire for them. He was completely entrenched in Xavier for a decade and when it was finally time for him to take over the reins he spit the bit. Outside of his time as a Xavier assistant what is there to indicate he's a solid coach? And if that didn't translate at Xavier why should it translate anywhere else?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Granted Miami isn't exactly a powerhouse, but I don't like this hire for them. He was completely entrenched in Xavier for a decade and when it was finally time for him to take over the reins he spit the bit. Outside of his time as a Xavier assistant what is there to indicate he's a solid coach? And if that didn't translate at Xavier why should it translate anywhere else?
Because he's the type of coach that a middling MAC school can take a chance on and hope it pays off.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Granted Miami isn't exactly a powerhouse, but I don't like this hire for them. He was completely entrenched in Xavier for a decade and when it was finally time for him to take over the reins he spit the bit. Outside of his time as a Xavier assistant what is there to indicate he's a solid coach? And if that didn't translate at Xavier why should it translate anywhere else?
Because he's the type of coach that a middling MAC school can take a chance on and hope it pays off.
Exactly, I think it is a good move for both.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Seems to me they'd be better off with an assistant or head coach on the way up then a retread that couldn't be successful at Xavier
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Seems to me they'd be better off with an assistant or head coach on the way up then a retread that couldn't be successful at Xavier
Agree, if you're going to hire a re-tread, you would at least like it to be someone that has done some winning.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The way Xavier played against the Bonnies, it looked like they were glad he's gone.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

STC wrote: 2 years ago

Agree, if you're going to hire a re-tread, you would at least like it to be someone that has done some winning.
It's not exactly like he is an old re-tread that never won.
He is only 40 and this is just his 4th season as HC.
He was a very trusted and respected assistant under Mack and was promoted to associate HC.

He has beaten some really good teams Ohio State, UConn, and Creighton.

I actually think Miami/Ohio in the MAC is a good landing spot for him and it is right in the middle of his recruiting wheelhouse.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago

It's not exactly like he is an old re-tread that never won.
He is only 40 and this is just his 4th season as HC.
He was a very trusted and respected assistant under Mack and was promoted to associate HC.

He has beaten some really good teams Ohio State, UConn, and Creighton.

I actually think Miami/Ohio in the MAC is a good landing spot for him and it is right in the middle of his recruiting wheelhouse.
I agree seems decent to me let’s see how he does
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

It certainly is possible that he flames out there and really is one of those coaches best suited as an assitant. I don't know much about Miami Ohio and their fans' expectations so it could also be a low pressure situation where he can grow into a successful head coach.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

A highly regarded ACC assistant. Nice hire. The A10 coaching ranks are looking good. Bodes well for the conference.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like a nice hire longtime assistant under Jimmy Larrananga
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Probably an April 1st gag

We kept hearing different names, here is another update.
Can't believe anything till it is official.

Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Trust nothing you read on the internet today. People try too hard.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago Trust nothing you read on the internet today. People try too hard.
Exactly
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Trust nothing you read on the internet today. People try too hard.
Exactly
Especially on April 1
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago
Exactly
Especially on April 1
Better off not to pay attention to tweets today.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There are a lot of April fools out there today......
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago There are a lot of April fools out there today......
This is the day Rhody72 makes sense.
Slava Ukraini!
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

Carl Koussa Day !
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

How much are they going to have to pay to get Young Frankenstein to leave Ann Arbor? And why him? He could no longer win at St. Joe's -- how is he going to win at La Salle, which is a major step down from Hawk Hill?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Some more guys gonna be hitting the portal...
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Jordan out at Butler.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago

Some more guys gonna be hitting the portal...
Wow, what were they waiting for?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Called that one and makes me even more grateful Thorr moved quickly and aggressively to lock in Archie bc I feel he would have been a viable candidate there.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RE: What were they waiting for.

STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Must have been paining their AD to watch Archie to URI go down. Oh well, timing is everything…
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

STC wrote: 2 years ago Must have been paining their AD to watch Archie to URI go down. Oh well, timing is everything…

If their AD was planning this for some time, he could have easily reached out to Archie via intermediaries while he was available. It is even possible that happened and Miller may not have had any interest as he might not have wanted his next job to be in Indiana so close to his last gig in the state.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago RE: What were they waiting for.

Embarrassing if your a fan of this school imo made a graduate wait weeks to save a hundred thousand ( 750 to 650) . They obviously would not have been a player for Archie. Will probably hire some up and coming assistant so they don't have have to pay him. Seems to be the Butler way.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago Must have been paining their AD to watch Archie to URI go down. Oh well, timing is everything…

If their AD was planning this for some time, he could have easily reached out to Archie via intermediaries while he was available. It is even possible that happened and Miller may not have had any interest as he might not have wanted his next job to be in Indiana so close to his last gig in the state.
Again. People acting like these hiring processes only start when a coach is fired are missing the mark. No first rate athletic department operates that way. Back channels are everything. (This is also a thinly veiled shot at UMass because it actually seemed like they operated that way).

If Archie actually wanted to stay in Indiana and deal with that blowback every day from the larger program in his state, he would have. They would've already had conversations and he certainly wouldn't have accepted the job here.

I hope people can stop chicken littling and acting like we're some charity case lucky to swindle Archie into coming here. Archie is here because he believes in Thorr, and what URI can be - and because Thorr was finally given the support to for us to operate like a first-class institution.

Archie had his choice of jobs. Literally just about any job in America would've been lucky to get him. He chose URI. It's not like we were his only option, he wanted to be here.

As for Butler - their AD obviously knew he was firing their coach. He just pulled a cheap-ass move to save a couple hundred thousand dollars waiting for the buyout to expire- and negatively impact all of the coaches under Jordan.

I'm sure that when that AD was approaching potential candidates about an impending job opening, and when they were asking why the job wasn't open yet, a response of "we're waiting for his buyout to get lower so we can afford it" didn't go over well.

If you were a prospective coach - would you want to work for a program that operated in any of the following scenarios?

a) work for a place that would try to screw you every which way out of any penny you could possibly make on a technicality
b) screw you and your staff out of searching for potential jobs several weeks into a hiring cycle
c) be so cheap in an environment like college basketball where money is spent like water, and so important to the program - but a couple hundred thousand was hard to come by
d) all of the above?

Butler is d. That's sad. URI is not. Any coach would've chose URI over Butler when you lay it out like that.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
If you were a prospective coach - would you want to work for a program that operated in any of the following scenarios?

a) work for a place that would try to screw you every which way out of any penny you could possibly make on a technicality
b) screw you and your staff out of searching for potential jobs several weeks into a hiring cycle
c) be so cheap in an environment like college basketball where money is spent like water, and so important to the program - but a couple hundred thousand was hard to come by
d) all of the above?

Butler is d. That's sad. URI is not. Any coach would've chose URI over Butler when you lay it out like that.
What is the status of negotiations on the Cox buy-out?
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago

d) all of the above?

Who cares
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

d) all of the above?

He was bought out
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Matta makes the most sense if he wants to get back into coaching. He had a long successful career at Ohio St before stepping down with health concerns. Chris Holtman left Butler for Ohio State and don’t see him taking a step backwards. (Although that part could be an April fools joke)
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Matta makes the most sense if he wants to get back into coaching. He had a long successful career at Ohio St before stepping down with health concerns. Chris Holtman left Butler for Ohio State and don’t see him taking a step backwards. (Although that part could be an April fools joke)
Isn’t it the same thing as Sean Miller at Xavier?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

d) all of the above?

He was bought out
Is it final? What was the amount?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, why would Holtmann leave Ohio State?
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
Miller was fired from Arizona. AFAIK, Holtmann is stilll at Ohio State. NCAA every year except COVID though never past second round. So unless Ohio State fires him it’s a step down.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
He was bought out
Is it final? What was the amount?
Who cares
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Boals, Groce, and Nored are the only "real candidates" that make sense from that list.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago

Miller was fired from Arizona. AFAIK, Holtmann is stilll at Ohio State. NCAA every year except COVID though never past second round. So unless Ohio State fires him it’s a step down.
Ha good point. I guess I assumed because he was on that list that he must not be at Ohio State anymore. I do not follow Midwest coaching comings and goings all that closely so figured I might have missed something.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Again. People acting like these hiring processes only start when a coach is fired are missing the mark. No first rate athletic department operates that way. Back channels are everything. (This is also a thinly veiled shot at UMass because it actually seemed like they operated that way).

If Archie actually wanted to stay in Indiana and deal with that blowback every day from the larger program in his state, he would have. They would've already had conversations and he certainly wouldn't have accepted the job here.

I hope people can stop chicken littling and acting like we're some charity case lucky to swindle Archie into coming here. Archie is here because he believes in Thorr, and what URI can be - and because Thorr was finally given the support to for us to operate like a first-class institution.

Archie had his choice of jobs. Literally just about any job in America would've been lucky to get him. He chose URI. It's not like we were his only option, he wanted to be here.

As for Butler - their AD obviously knew he was firing their coach. He just pulled a cheap-ass move to save a couple hundred thousand dollars waiting for the buyout to expire- and negatively impact all of the coaches under Jordan.

I'm sure that when that AD was approaching potential candidates about an impending job opening, and when they were asking why the job wasn't open yet, a response of "we're waiting for his buyout to get lower so we can afford it" didn't go over well.

d) all of the above?

Blue Man,

What makes you think that UMASS did not use back channels? or UMASS did not do anything prior to the firing of their HC?
Now that UMASS has their new HC in place what do you think of the end result? How would you rank the hire of Martin 1 - 10?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

There are now 49 Head Coaching Changes in D1.

With 350 D1 teams that is a new HC for every 7 D1 Teams. Not sure what the record is in a season but my guess is that is the highest ever.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

d) all of the above?

Blue Man,

What makes you think that UMASS did not use back channels? or UMASS did not do anything prior to the firing of their HC?
Now that UMASS has their new HC in place what do you think of the end result? How would you rank the hire of Martin 1 - 10?
The hire was a 9/10.

The fake firing of the coach and letting him coach the rest of the year was 0/10.

The desperate public announcement about how they were going to commit to basketball was 2/10.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

d) all of the above?

Blue Man,

The hire was a 9/10.

The fake firing of the coach and letting him coach the rest of the year was 0/10.

The desperate public announcement about how they were going to commit to basketball was 2/10.
I’d give it like 7.5/10, personally. No doubt that Martin has cache and has demonstrated he can coach and win. To get a guy like that at UMass right now is a major coup. But if I’m being honest I’ve never really liked Martin and his Mississippi football coach, performatively pickup-truck-guy, culture war vibe. If I were a high school kid and I had my choice to play for a guy like that or someone else at another school as likely to win and give me minutes, I’d NEVER pick that guy. Ever. If UMass was my best offer and my other choices were like mid-tier A10 schools and smaller programs I’d take my chances because I do think he’ll make them relevant. But on a personal level just not my thing.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

He was bought out
It was my understanding that the actual amount of the buy-out was still being negotiated. At one point I heard that Cox wanted ~$1M while his base salary for 2 years would be ~$600K.
NCAAs or Bust!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

A little surprised by this hire, but I am way more surprised to learn that he is only 54.

The A10 got better with their hirings, but so did the Big East.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago

A little surprised by this hire, but I am way more surprised to learn that he is only 54.

The A10 got better with their hirings, but so did the Big East.

Butler fired Jordan 04/01/22. Matta is hired to replace him within 48 hours. Logic dictates that Butler and Matta had been working on this for far longer, perhaps even weeks or months.