The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Jim Larranaga playing the transfer market smart again this year dipping into the Sun Belt conference to get a top player. Much like last year when he did similar with George Mason.
Older, veteran Head Coach recruiting with the best of them. A rolling stone gathers no moss.

7ACE76BE-5C14-4BFD-B4E3-0A57DD9AA279.png
Jim L got Pack $800,000 + a car from a top booster. The booster deserves the credit for recruiting.
Awesome for Pack!
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

I’m probably dreaming but I feel he would be perfect in Archie’s system
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Backroads wrote: 2 years ago

Grasso probably offering him.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Jim Larranaga playing the transfer market smart again this year dipping into the Sun Belt conference to get a top player. Much like last year when he did similar with George Mason.
Older, veteran Head Coach recruiting with the best of them. A rolling stone gathers no moss.

Jim L got Pack $800,000 + a car from a top booster. The booster deserves the credit for recruiting.
I wonder if there was an agent involved in the process helping to push things along?

Wealthy alumni collaborating with agents?

FYI….The catalyst for my questions is 83’s post of Goodman’s tweet on agents that in the NIL thread.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I doubt it. Seems like this was a straight pay for play deal from a prominent booster and the player. 83 is right tho that clearly is the type of package that drove the decision.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I doubt it. Seems like this was a straight pay for play deal from a prominent booster and the player. 83 is right tho that clearly is the type of package that drove the decision.
So, I am trying to gauge the market. Based on the Miami deal, the going rate for a top 10 transfer for 2022 is $800K plus a car. I am assuming that is the total compensation for remaining eligibility.

Questions for the KB board…

I wonder what these agreements look like? What if the player drops out, flunks out, gets arrested, injury ends his playing career? Are there carve backs in those instances? Are there morals clauses?

Can these pay for play agreements be considered employment contracts?

My apologies for going off topic. Just wondering and trying to follow where all this is going. The questions are probably suited better for the NIL thread?

Can a mod move this post to that thread?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Miami ranked 1 yet in transfer list ??
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

reef wrote: 2 years ago

Nope

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Baske ... mRankings/
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Keep in mind with the May1. deadline approaching.

Players can enter the portal at any time.
The 5/1 deadline only applies to players eligible for the no-sit rule.

If the NCAA continues to hand out waivers like last year, most transfers will be eligible immediately.
However, some feel the NCAA will now start to tighten up on that policy.
If players are forced out, transfer close to home for personal reasons, or coaching changes, that will work to their advantage in being granted a waiver.

Basketball operates on the same guidelines as football in regard to the portal.
https://247sports.com/Article/NCAA-tran ... 186490612/
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

247 Top 10 Transfers Teams (so far)

1. PROVIDENCE
Cooley and the Friars had so many doubters all throughout the past season. They kept laughing them off and "lucked" their way to the Sweet 16. But Providence has no intentions of slowing down anytime soon. Providence made a major splash in the transfer portal on Monday when they landed Hopkins. They've now surged past Arkansas for the No. 1 spot.
The former top-40 prospect really shined in his limited playing time for Kentucky. He looked like he deserved a whole lot more playing time, and he's got a chance to be a star for Providence. But the Friars have a deep, five-man transfer portal class that is glistening. South Carolina transfer Devin Carter has all the talent to be a star, too. Noah Locke has been a sniper during previous stops at Louisville and Florida. He'll have no issues getting buckets. Corey Floyd Jr. (UConn) and Clifton Moore (La Salle) are two really nice pieces, too. Providence is loading up.

10. MASSACHUSETTS
Don't count out Frank Martin just yet. The new Massachusetts coach has reeled in four transfers from Power 6 programs. South Carolina products Wildens Leveque and TaQuan Woodley followed Martin to UMass. UConn transfer Rahsool Diggins could be one of the best players on the team next year, and Boston College's Gianni Thompson is another really nice piece. Martin is really banking on Diggins tapping into the talent that helped him become a top-60 prospect in the Class of 2021. If he does that, watch out.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/C ... 86727555_1
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago 247 Top 10 Transfers Teams (so far)

1. PROVIDENCE
Cooley and the Friars had so many doubters all throughout the past season. They kept laughing them off and "lucked" their way to the Sweet 16. But Providence has no intentions of slowing down anytime soon. Providence made a major splash in the transfer portal on Monday when they landed Hopkins. They've now surged past Arkansas for the No. 1 spot.
The former top-40 prospect really shined in his limited playing time for Kentucky. He looked like he deserved a whole lot more playing time, and he's got a chance to be a star for Providence. But the Friars have a deep, five-man transfer portal class that is glistening. South Carolina transfer Devin Carter has all the talent to be a star, too. Noah Locke has been a sniper during previous stops at Louisville and Florida. He'll have no issues getting buckets. Corey Floyd Jr. (UConn) and Clifton Moore (La Salle) are two really nice pieces, too. Providence is loading up.

10. MASSACHUSETTS
Don't count out Frank Martin just yet. The new Massachusetts coach has reeled in four transfers from Power 6 programs. South Carolina products Wildens Leveque and TaQuan Woodley followed Martin to UMass. UConn transfer Rahsool Diggins could be one of the best players on the team next year, and Boston College's Gianni Thompson is another really nice piece. Martin is really banking on Diggins tapping into the talent that helped him become a top-60 prospect in the Class of 2021. If he does that, watch out.

Ramster, UMass since has added (F) Matt Cross who could be the best of the bunch.

With returning players Fernandes, Weeks, and Kelly, UMass can make a lot of noise in the A10 this season.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago 247 Top 10 Transfers Teams (so far)

1. PROVIDENCE

10. MASSACHUSETTS

Ramster, UMass since has added (F) Matt Cross who could be the best of the bunch.

With returning players Fernandes, Weeks, and Kelly, UMass can make a lot of noise in the A10 this season.
Right. I was surprised the writer got Hopkins in for PC but not Cross for UMASS but news in constantly flowing.

Note that Martin @ South Carolina was in Cross’ final 4 when he picked Miami out of prep school.
Woodley played for Martin at SC as did Leveque who is from Brockton MA. Gianni Thompson is from Newton MA.

So Martin is bringing in guys he recruited previously and bringing guys “back home”. Look for him to lean on MASS Rivals, BABC and Expressions Elite too.

The Beverly native was a four-star prospect according to 247sports.com and the No. 95 player in the country. The site ranked him the No. 21 small forward in his class. He initially chose the Hurricanes over Florida, Butler and South Carolina.

The Minutemen have brought in five transfers out of the portal this spring: Cross, UConn guard Rahsool Diggins, Boston College forward Gianni Thompson, and former South Carolina bigs Wildens Leveque and Ta’Quan Woodley. Thompson (Newton) and Leveque (Brockton) are also from Massachusetts, while Diggins is a Philadelphia native. Woodley grew up in New Jersey. They all have at least two years of eligibility left, while Diggins, Thompson and Woodley were freshmen last season.

https://www.recorder.com/UMass-basketba ... s-46104700
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PCFriars wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago

Nope

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Baske ... mRankings/
Wait are these new rankings or are they using their high school rankings?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Just saw that Malachi Smith put his name in the portal. I didn't know there are 2 Malachi Smiths playing college basketball right now.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Just saw that Malachi Smith put his name in the portal. I didn't know there are 2 Malachi Smiths playing college basketball right now.
Yes, Malachi Smith from Chattanooga will immediately become one of the top players in the portal.
Averaged 20 pts and 40% 3PT, also good size at guard 6'4".

PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

1. Does anybody even know what "Archie's system" is at URI?
2. Of course, any player who is good somebody will think "he's a great fit for us." Can you name a system that this guy would not be perfect for?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

It appears the carousel has stalled at the signing end. Wait til the dam break happens... Then it'll be spinning so fast it'll be casting riders left and right, folks won't be able to hang on. And before you know it, boom...NCAAT team...
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

2. Of course, any player who is good somebody will think "he's a great fit for us." Can you name a system that this guy would not be perfect for?
Did you not watch his press conference? Or his interview with Stone? He explained how he wants to play a few times already. Will that happen this year? Maybe not.. We'll need to see his final roster before he can determine what system is best for this season.

As for KC. He's a tweener. I think he will have trouble regularly playing against high major wings/forwards. He also tries to go for the big steal way too much and gets beat on D. He's not very safe with the ball either, and I wasn't very impressed with his shooting. My guess is any coach that wants high Iq players who don't turn the ball over and can hit a shot consistently wouldn't have KC high on their list.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I don't believe any of these St Peters kid went P6 (off the top of my head), so he'll end up in a better mid major league I'm guessing.
Go Rhody
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Just saw that Malachi Smith put his name in the portal. I didn't know there are 2 Malachi Smiths playing college basketball right now.
Yes, Malachi Smith from Chattanooga will immediately become one of the top players in the portal.

Another example of how it’s going to become more difficult for mid majors to keep their most productive players: farm systems for the P6.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago

Another example of how it’s going to become more difficult for mid majors to keep their most productive players: farm systems for the P6.
But yet Dayton, VCU and St Louis didn't lose any key pieces. Good coaches will retain players.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago

But yet Dayton, VCU and St Louis didn't lose any key pieces. Good coaches will retain players.
To that point, also doesn’t help he lost his coach. Surprised he didn’t announce earlier.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I would think it has to be difficult for a player to decide to portal or not because of the May 1st deadline yet, coaches can still sign players post May 1st. So, the roster isn’t set by the time you have to decide whether it is better to stay or leave.

I guess, unless you have complete trust in your coach, it is best to portal than not, under the circumstances, if only to keep your options open?

But then, what if you trust your coach but can make more money at other schools? Yikes! Where does this end?

Sorry. I can’t stop with the questions.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago I would think it has to be difficult for a player to decide to portal or not because of the May 1st deadline yet, coaches can still sign players post May 1st. So, the roster isn’t set by the time you have to decide whether it is better to stay or leave.

I guess, unless you have complete trust in your coach, it is best to portal than not, under the circumstances, if only to keep your options open?

But then, what if you trust your coach but can make more money at other schools? Yikes! Where does this end?

\

As I said earlier you can enter the portal anytime, just can't qualify for the no-sit rule after May 1st.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Former Connecticut G Jalen Gaffney is transferring to Florida Atlantic. verbalcommits.com/players/jalen-…
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago I would think it has to be difficult for a player to decide to portal or not because of the May 1st deadline yet, coaches can still sign players post May 1st. So, the roster isn’t set by the time you have to decide whether it is better to stay or leave.

\

As I said earlier you can enter the portal anytime, just can't qualify for the no-sit rule after May 1st.
Thanks, 77. Much appreciated. I hope there’s a Cliff Notes version of the evolution of college bb or I am going to need to start keeping a KB notebook. Sheesh.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If you enter the portal after May 1st you need to have your head examined. Why risk giving up the no-sit year? The feeling is the NCAA will tighten up some on the waivers this year. There are exceptions that could justify entering after May 1st but there aren’t many.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago If you enter the portal after May 1st you need to have your head examined. Why risk giving up the no-sit year? The feeling is the NCAA will tighten up some on the waivers this year. There are exceptions that could justify entering after May 1st but there aren’t many.
I would assume most players that enter the portal after 5/1 would be multi-transfers who wouldn't qualify for the no-sit rule.
I am sure there are plenty of them.
They would need a waiver to play immediately.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

Did you not watch his press conference? Or his interview with Stone? He explained how he wants to play a few times already. Will that happen this year? Maybe not.. We'll need to see his final roster before he can determine what system is best for this season.

As for KC. He's a tweener. I think he will have trouble regularly playing against high major wings/forwards. He also tries to go for the big steal way too much and gets beat on D. He's not very safe with the ball either, and I wasn't very impressed with his shooting. My guess is any coach that wants high Iq players who don't turn the ball over and can hit a shot consistently wouldn't have KC high on their list.
No, I did not watch his press conference. I've seen clips and I've read his comments. And really, what a coach says he wants and what actually takes place on the court may actually be two different things. Why don't we wait to witness "the system" before we determines who fits "the system?" He may want to do a lot of things but it's possible he has players who couldn't put it in the ocean from Bonnet Shores beach.

I'll be curious to watch the next 4 years...not worried about 2022 transfers, or Quinnipiac, or the A10 title in the coming year. He's got time to put a program together. A program goes well beyond constructing a roster for 2022-23.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
And one of our top targets averaged 3.2 points.

The Mitchell twins averaged peanuts at Maryland, then produced here.

Really an irrelevant statistic.
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

I think the idea is to show that the majority of players that are transferring are still doing it for playing time reasons. For understandable reasons, we tend to hyperfocus on the Tyrese Martin and Jacob Toppin situations, but for each of those, it's a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio of players we probably no longer want on the roster for talent reasons.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Great breakdown of players in the portal by: conference, school, year, position, size, and stats.

Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Is this the pool URI will be recruiting from? Oh vey!

ECR, we need your help. Just a lot of meatloaf left in the portal pool. I don't see any rubies in this mountain of rocks. If Archie can find even two out of three studs it will be a miracle. Please give of some lyrics.
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Wow I didn’t know Bonnies lost Lofton and Osunniyi
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

I think the idea is to show that the majority of players that are transferring are still doing it for playing time reasons. For understandable reasons, we tend to hyperfocus on the Tyrese Martin and Jacob Toppin situations, but for each of those, it's a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio of players we probably no longer want on the roster for talent reasons.
It’s working out just as many expected - the lower level teams are the minor leagues for the big guys. They find a player who can play at the college level and they will get promoted, big guys take a shot on a high level recruit who then can’t break into the lineup against guys who have a few years of college ball under their belts and they transfer down. In the A10 we are like AAA teams imho.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

It’s working out just as many expected - the lower level teams are the minor leagues for the big guys. They find a player who can play at the college level and they will get promoted, big guys take a shot on a high level recruit who then can’t break into the lineup against guys who have a few years of college ball under their belts and they transfer down. In the A10 we are like AAA teams imho.
Those big bad schools, abducting players in the middle of the night! The game is the game. Most players want to play at the highest level they can, while still playing significant minutes. There wasn't much hand-wringing when we took the kid from George Washington, or before he was injured and ineffective here, A.B. from a lower conference.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i really hate the portal

bring back the good ole days of having a player for 4 years

they ruined college basketball
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago i really hate the portal

bring back the good ole days of having a player for 4 years

they ruined college basketball
No, why penalize the players and limit their freedom of choice.

When coaches seem to move on to greener pastures.

No problem with the portal, just try and use it to your advantage.

College sports has become about the $.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I miss the good ol’ days when players made millions for their coaches and could be cut without a second thought, when players who couldn’t quite find a place at their chosen school in the first three years were out of luck, because what program was going to tie up a scholarship for two years for just one year of play. The sport will settle into its new normal. Be sad if you think you need to be, but don’t act like your feelings are the most import thing here.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago I miss the good ol’ days when players made millions for their coaches and could be cut without a second thought, when players who couldn’t quite find a place at their chosen school in the first three years were out of luck, because what program was going to tie up a scholarship for two years for just one year of play. The sport will settle into its new normal. Be sad if you think you need to be, but don’t act like your feelings are the most import thing here.
Pretty much spot on. A previous poster said "They ruined college basketball".... I'm curious to know who "They" are.
And if college basketball is ruined, why are you still posting 45 sets of song lyrics a day on a college basketball board?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

So many things the NCAA could have done to pro-actively address player movement and fair compensation. And they didn’t. And now we have this situation. If cbb wasn’t my favorite sport I would enjoy watching this absolute free for all take place but it is and I think this completely unregulated situation is an abject disaster.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

True NIL should be 100% permissible.

Players should be allowed 1 free transfer plus 1 if there is a coaching change players commit to a coach first then the school.

Players should be able to go to the NBA right out of high school.

Increase player stipends on a pro rata basis for all athletes of revenue generating sports. Give them a fixed but fair percentage of revenue generated from ticket sales, tv rights and team sponsorships.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Increase player stipends on a pro rata basis for all athletes of revenue generating sports. Give them a fixed but fair percentage of revenue generated from ticket sales, tv rights and team sponsorships.
Sounds like a CBA...do the players unionize so they can negotiate these amounts with the NCAA? This also sounds like a pro league
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago I miss the good ol’ days when players made millions for their coaches and could be cut without a second thought, when players who couldn’t quite find a place at their chosen school in the first three years were out of luck, because what program was going to tie up a scholarship for two years for just one year of play. The sport will settle into its new normal. Be sad if you think you need to be, but don’t act like your feelings are the most import thing here.
Pretty much spot on. A previous poster said "They ruined college basketball".... I'm curious to know who "They" are.
And if college basketball is ruined, why are you still posting 45 sets of song lyrics a day on a college basketball board?
it's one thing if a coach leaves - that i get

and look at Bos trying to cancel me !

another thing i hate
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Increase player stipends on a pro rata basis for all athletes of revenue generating sports. Give them a fixed but fair percentage of revenue generated from ticket sales, tv rights and team sponsorships.
Sounds like a CBA...do the players unionize so they can negotiate these amounts with the NCAA? This also sounds like a pro league
Even the pro leagues have rules. What’s happening now is complete lawlessness. It’s beyond professional sports. If a CBA or unionizing brings with it some regulation then sure.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

hear hear
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
it's one thing if a coach leaves - that i get

and look at Bos trying to cancel me !

another thing i hate
Who is "they" that has ruined college basketball?
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Sorry - I wasn't clear - When i refer to "they" i am referring to a village that revolves around a desolate town in Pennsylvania. The residents of this town live by strict rules - They are not to leave the village or the monsters beyond their boundaries will surely attack them. Lucius and Ivy have an attraction - a strong one. But when Noah - a man with an intellectual disability and who also has feelings for Ivy, finds out that the two are In love, Noah attacks Lucius. He will die if brave Ivy (who is blind) does not breach the borders and find help to save Lucius
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

FFS, can we stop using buzz words if we don't know what they mean? Bos8 wasn't trying to cancel anybody
Last edited by RhodyKyle 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.