David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DigB
Michael Andersen

Re: David Cox

Unread post by DigB »

Help me out oh rabid Rhody fans. When has Coach Cox won a game from the bench, or overachiever expectations for his team?

I must admit, the kids have continued to fight back and seldom laid down in a blowout. Then again we had few blowouts so we definately play to the level of the competition.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I expect Fatts and Shep to not be here next year. That's almost 40% of scoring on a 10-14 team. Who is going to make that up + points needed to actually win games? I do not anticipate a good year next year.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Never hire from within AGAIN.
It worked with Al Skinner. Since then not so much.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago If Morey can.see this, why can't Dave?

The guy taking the ball the length of the court for the easy layup is Mike Bekelja, a 6'1" Freshman from Solon Ohio
He only had 6 assists all season yet against URI he had 5 last night
He only had 11 points all season.

Score is 65-56 with 8 minutes to go - lots of time to get back in this game

On the floor are Russell, Leggett, Walker, Johnson and Martin.

Leggett gives some effort at the start of Bekelja's length of court drive, Russell gives a matador lazy effort in the backcourt while Walker, Martin and Johnson basically do nothing as Bekelja goes the length of the floor and goes in for an easy, uncontested layup. This is a low minutes played, freshman sub taking it the length of the court against starters Russell, Leggett and Walker and defensive minded Martin and Johnson. Not good at all.

Watch Walker do absolutely nothing then shake his head. At least Johnson was somewhat covering his man in case Bekelja dished off.

Russell seems either hurt or not wanting to take any chances of getting further injured on defense.

Morey posting this play exemplifies the lack of defensive effort, energy and IQ the team has been displaying.
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Very poor answer from Coach.

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

The guy taking the ball the length of the court for the easy layup is Mike Bekelja, a 6'1" Freshman from Solon Ohio
That right there is a fireable offense.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Kid's a sharpshooter too. .235 overall and a blistering .200 from 3. He'd fit right in here.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 3 years ago Very poor answer from Coach.

Let's Jeopardy that answer: No, not right now. Should Coach Cox receive an extension?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago
It worked with Al Skinner. Since then not so much.
Seems to be working well with Wichita State and Isaac Brown. Almost as important, they were smart enough to bring in Billy Kennedy, who as a head coach went to multiple NCAAT, and two Sweet 16’s. The youth and inexperience of our staff is showing and not sure they can find the answers to turn it around.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

...did he really just give that as an answer?
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Let's Jeopardy that answer: No, not right now. Should Coach Cox receive an extension?
I'd say that Cox is not happy with what Morey has been reporting about him and his team. Morey has called him out over the past couple of weeks unlike other press. Cox is not used to that and he just gives Morey the cold shoulder. Good for Morey to press with challenging questions. Not good to respond like this.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

After that court length drive for an uncontested layup Cox should have called a time out and got in the face of each player and maybe put in another 5 players. That is replacing every one of them. Walker and Martin (the first team defense player from Conference USA) were awful defending Weathers and made him look like MJ especially when he dunked it on Martin.
I did not watch the first half but the refs in the second half were awful. Mitchell's third foul was a flop and cost us a basket and his fourth foul was a joke. Harris' offensive foul was also a terrible call and cost us a hoop.
We gave up 86 points to a team that averages 67 points a game which is beyond awful.
Most college bball teams take on the personality of their coach. For us that is a HUGE problem.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

It's too bad on a couple levels...the basketball level, of course, but...this also kinda makes him seem like a doosh, and I don't know that he is.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'd say that Cox is not happy with what Morey has been reporting about him and his team. Morey has called him out over the past couple of weeks unlike other press. Cox is not used to that and he just gives Morey the cold shoulder. Good for Morey to press with challenging questions. Not good to respond like this.
DING DING DING Sorry Coach, but when your team plays this poorly for an entire season you can't expect the Steve and Don kid gloves treatment - and you sure as he'll don't deserve it.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago After that court length drive for an uncontested layup Cox should have called a time out and got in the face of each player and maybe put in another 5 players. That is replacing every one of them. Walker and Martin (the first team defense player from Conference USA) were awful defending Weathers and made him look like MJ especially when he dunked it on Martin.
I did not watch the first half but the refs in the second half were awful. Mitchell's third foul was a flop and cost us a basket and his fourth foul was a joke. Harris' offensive foul was also a terrible call and cost us a hoop.
We gave up 86 points to a team that averages 67 points a game which is beyond awful.
Most college bball teams take on the personality of their coach. For us that is a HUGE problem.

Excellent point and suggestion Eli.
That basket by the Duquesne Freshman Mike Bekelja put Duquesne up by 67-56 with 8 minutes to go. Inexcusable to have any player go the length of the court unchallenged but a Freshman reserve????
Cox should have called timeout right then and there and pulled Russell, Leggett, Walker, Johnson and Martin. I don't know about getting in each players face but he could also just let them sit there on the bench and reflect.

He could have put in Mitchell, Harris and Carey (Sheppard was hurt), Betrand and Brusadin. What's to lose at this point?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

This is where I say you need to seriously consider moving on.

The press conferences have opened a window into DC’s thinking process, which as it refers to basketball, is using a very liberal interpretation of the phrase “thinking process.”

Coach speak is one thing, but to be pressed on it and not have any real answers is concerning.

It could just mean that he doesn’t care any more and he hasn’t cared down the stretch - can’t have that guy coaching your team.

It could mean that he literally has no answers- can’t have that guy coaching your team.

It could mean he really can’t make adjustments - can’t have that guy coaching your team.

It could mean that he doesn’t actually know what is wrong - can’t have that guy coaching your team.

Whatever the explanation, nothing points to this being the guy you want running your team.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago I miss going to the RC so much I was planning on getting season tickets next year. I usually go to 8 or 9 games a year. I changed my mind. I'll go to one to see the RC and get it out of my system. I can't pay to watch this crap.
Spend the time and money on the women's team instead
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If fans would have been allowed at 100% capacity at the RC and we were drawing 3000 per game and no student interest, would that get Thor to make a move sooner?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Is there something deficient with this program that makes it difficult to successfully elevate assistants here or have we just been unlucky with who we've elevated?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 3 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago "Dave, you mentioned lessons learned this year. Can you rattle off a couple? Any big things that stand out for you this regular season?"

"No, not at this point. No."

Come on, Morey. Don't be so hard on the guy. We've only played 24 games this year.
This is damning. Either he actually can't identify any lessons (bad) or he knows that the biggest lesson of all is that his entire strategy of assembling a team of me-first transfers and promising everyone playing time has failed miserably (also bad).

The Cox gamble has failed. I'm not sad that we tried it. But I'll be sad if we don't move on quickly.
Well said. Hiring Cox was both completely defensible and probably the smart move at the time. The problem is he's obviously way over his head with no signs of improvement. You can't give a hire with no experience a long leash if they're not showing improvement
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And then the glare he gives toward Morey's portion of the chat after answering the question, like how dare you ask me a completely reasonable follow up question on something I said. Completely unprofessional on every level
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Score is 65-56 with 8 minutes to go - lots of time to get back in this game

On the floor are Russell, Leggett, Walker, Johnson and Martin.

Leggett gives some effort at the start of Bekelja's length of court drive, Russell gives a matador lazy effort in the backcourt while Walker, Martin and Johnson basically do nothing as Bekelja goes the length of the floor and goes in for an easy, uncontested layup. This is a low minutes played, freshman sub taking it the length of the court against starters Russell, Leggett and Walker and defensive minded Martin and Johnson. Not good at all.

Watch Walker do absolutely nothing then shake his head. At least Johnson was somewhat covering his man in case Bekelja dished off.

Russell seems either hurt or not wanting to take any chances of getting further injured on defense.

Morey posting this play exemplifies the lack of defensive effort, energy and IQ the team has been displaying.
Amen. This play is embarrassing !! Obviously , this team was once again not prepared to compete.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I had the same thought. I think if Koch or someone else had asked the same question the answer would have been different.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Cox now has a 7-12 record (.368 winning percentage) in the month of February, he's over .500 in every other month. As the season goes on, teams should get better. Ours either gets worse under Cox or can't keep pace with other teams as they improve. That's bad coaching. That's the kind of track record that will keep you out of the tournament. That's Baronesque
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

If I was at the press conference here is what I would have asked.

Coach do you think with this year’s performance that you deserve an extension?

Coach how would you answer all of you detractors out there about how you are going to fix it?
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago

I had the same thought. I think if Koch or someone else had asked the same question the answer would have been different.
At the very least, you remain professional and come up with a coach-speak generalized answer to the question. To flat out say "no" - can't think of a specific example or doesn't want to answer because he's pissed at Morey - is a really bad look. Very unprofessional and quite frankly off-putting. Bizarre.
Mobley was fouled.
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

We may have to get creative with our recruiting efforts.

"Forget having your basketball career squandered .... we have Quahogs"!!!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Watching Villanova vs Butler which reminds me of somethings like do we ever run a pick and roll, do we ever set an effective screen to open up a player, do we ever set an effective pick, do we ever play zone to mix things up little? Do we do too much dribbling near the 3point line against a zone? Do we play with enthusiasm and intensity? Do we show any togetherness on the court?
I guess the real question is why???????????
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 3 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago "Dave, you mentioned lessons learned this year. Can you rattle off a couple? Any big things that stand out for you this regular season?"

"No, not at this point. No."

Come on, Morey. Don't be so hard on the guy. We've only played 24 games this year.
This is damning. Either he actually can't identify any lessons (bad) or he knows that the biggest lesson of all is that his entire strategy of assembling a team of me-first transfers and promising everyone playing time has failed miserably (also bad).

The Cox gamble has failed. I'm not sad that we tried it. But I'll be sad if we don't move on quickly.
Well said. Hiring Cox was both completely defensible and probably the smart move at the time. The problem is he's obviously way over his head with no signs of improvement. You can't give a hire with no experience a long leash if they're not showing improvement
This is where I am. It was a worthwhile gamble at the time. It was also in his associate HC contract that we owed DC a buyout if he wasn’t named the next HC.

He was the established coach in waiting. The reasons were fine at the time. The experiment was one you could begin based on the state of the program.

But you have to recognize where we are and where Cox is as a coach. It’s not working out, the improvements are not happening. You should have seen enough to make a reasonable projection on Cox.

This program is now at a crossroads and any additional years of Cox not getting it done can do a baron level of damage to this program that you will need to get lucky and find your next Hurley to pull you out of.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Not hyperbole - is Tammi Reiss a better coach than DC?

Watching them their offense is in constant motion and their defense is significantly more active and communicates better than ours.

Don’t really care for the women’s game as much as men’s, but there’s a noticeable difference in effort and execution even if the speed and skill isn’t the same.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Not hyperbole - is Tammi Reiss a better coach than DC?

Watching them their offense is in constant motion and their defense is significantly more active and communicates better than ours.

Don’t really care for the women’s game as much as men’s, but there’s a noticeable difference in effort and execution even if the speed and skill isn’t the same.
Not only is it not hyperbole, it's a 100% dead honest fact. We need to sign her to an extension
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

There was one other defensive play that was awful too not sure if you guys remember but somebody got beat off the dribble and Twan wasn’t watching the ball and had his back turned to the ball just following his man and the guy just followed Twan down the lane for a layup just poor fundamental defense , this team has become a joke
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox has lost the team, it's obvious.

There isn't just one issue, there are many.

It's past the point of no return, it's not doable or fixable.

It's also past the point of pointing any particular problems. It's everything, simple as that.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Cox has lost the team, it's obvious.

There isn't just one issue, there are many.

It's past the point of no return, it's not doable or fixable.

It's also past the point of pointing any particular problems. It's everything, simple as that.
Not "all" of 'everything', just a little bit..

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Wonder if Dooley leaving in June will affect a decision on Cox?

Dooley had a big hand in the hiring of Dan.

Anyway, if Cox goes, it will likely happen within a few weeks at most.

There may not be as many coaches fired as usual after this season, due to the pandemic.

Including us.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, there definitely might be something to that. Conflict between coaches and the people that cover their teams is nothing new. Coaches can get prickly and defensive, especially when things are not going well. Some people in the media can take what may seem like cheap shots in their work. I’m talking in generalities, not specifically about this.

I do think it’s even harder this year because there is so little, if any, face-to-face contact. Sometimes issues can get hashed out off the record. With closed practices and almost everything being done virtually, it’s even tougher to get a feel for the team you’re supposed to cover, especially when it doesn’t seem like the coach is giving you much in interviews.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago Cox now has a 7-12 record (.368 winning percentage) in the month of February, he's over .500 in every other month. As the season goes on, teams should get better. Ours either gets worse under Cox or can't keep pace with other teams as they improve. That's bad coaching. That's the kind of track record that will keep you out of the tournament. That's Baronesque
It’s slightly different from Baron for this reason: Baron would play Eastern Illinois A&M School For The Deaf in non-conference, so the decline as the team entered A-10 play was completely expected and predicable. URI has played a very solid non-conference slate under Cox. So while Baron was a bad coach from Nov-Mar and was able to hide the results for a while, Cox hits the ground running when the season starts. But then things slowly fade.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago Cox now has a 7-12 record (.368 winning percentage) in the month of February, he's over .500 in every other month. As the season goes on, teams should get better. Ours either gets worse under Cox or can't keep pace with other teams as they improve. That's bad coaching. That's the kind of track record that will keep you out of the tournament. That's Baronesque
It’s slightly different from Baron for this reason: Baron would play Eastern Illinois A&M School For The Deaf in non-conference, so the decline as the team entered A-10 play was completely expected and predicable. URI has played a very solid non-conference slate under Cox. So while Baron was a bad coach from Nov-Mar and was able to hide the results for a while, Cox hits the ground running when the season starts. But then things slowly fade.
I wouldn't call 1-6 in the last 7 games a slow fade. More like a crash and burn.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Things were already fading prior to the last seven games, though.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

True Smarty, but fading is a polite term. This team crashed and burned.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think it would be so much nicer if DC comes to an agreement with the admin and steps down rather than getting fired next year. This is a disaster and needs to end quietly.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago I think it would be so much nicer if DC comes to an agreement with the admin and steps down rather than getting fired next year. This is a disaster and needs to end quietly.
I just don't see that happening. I don't think we can underestimate the "breaks" that a lot of these coaches are going to be afforded due to this unique Covid-altered season.

Most coaches, including Cox, that are on the proverbial "hot seat" will be given a pass for this year. And he's be crazy to walk away from such a lucrative salary.

The administration is not firing David Cox this year. No way.
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago I think it would be so much nicer if DC comes to an agreement with the admin and steps down rather than getting fired next year. This is a disaster and needs to end quietly.
I just don't see that happening. I don't think we can underestimate the "breaks" that a lot of these coaches are going to be afforded due to this unique Covid-altered season.

Most coaches, including Cox, that are on the proverbial "hot seat" will be given a pass for this year. And he's be crazy to walk away from such a lucrative salary.

Lucrative salary? I think he is only guaranteed $300K a year. The rest is incentives and gate receipts.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

Lucrative salary? I think he is only guaranteed $300K a year. The rest is incentives and gate receipts.
So he just voluntarily walks away from it, for what?
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

So he just voluntarily walks away from it, for what?
$600K
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I don’t see him walking away either , he either gets fired or walks out sideline again next year
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 3 years ago Yeah I don’t see him walking away either , he either gets fired or walks out sideline again next year
The RC, if fans in the stands, next year won't be pretty. Cause we have no players making up 26 points a game. And that's on a team that sucks.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We could bring in Gonzaga quality players, and Cox still won't know how to coach them.

The problems here stem from much more than a talent issue.

You would think that we would have to be better with much more talent...but really how much better?

Good enough to dance? I doubt it big time.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago We could bring in Gonzaga quality players, and Cox still won't know how to coach them.

The problems here stem from much more than a talent issue.

You would think that we would have to be better with much more talent...but really how much better?

Good enough to dance? I doubt it big time.
Bone it's beyond that. The in game is shit. This is CYO basketball.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's what I mean.

Cox can't coach his way out of a paper bag, regardless of the talent level.