The Transfer Carousel - 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2022

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Jesus...UMass is killing it (or at least is on paper).
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Top 100 in the '20 class out of Brewster. Had a game against North Carolina this year in which he had 13 points and 15 rebounds. Another good pickup by Martin
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Frank Martin is kicking our ass right now and it's not even close. Let's see how Archie and the staff respond.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Frank even has time to pump up the UMass fan base.

“We will be good when we are good.”
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Jesus...UMass is killing it (or at least is on paper).
Not entirely surprising, since (I imagine) he was probably scouting, targeting guys and building relationships for recruiting at South Carolina anyway. I think Archie is going to be fine, but he's probably starting closer to 0 with plenty of these recruits, vs. the coaches who didn't have any time out of the game.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Both Archie and top Assistant were out of the loop and are now jumping back in. Trust me, I know this is torture right now waiting for that big announcement(s)…and waiting…
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago Frank even has time to pump up the UMass fan base.

How in the hell isn’t Martin verified on Twitter?
Go Rhody
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago Both Archie and top Assistant were out of the loop and are now jumping back in. Trust me, I know this is torture right now waiting for that big announcement(s)…and waiting…
I am ok with waiting it out but the top assistant has already brought in one player he formerly coached. The other assistants have so far not closed on any new players. I am not sure who to credit for retaining Malik and Ish Leggett. I thought Walker was the only loss that hurt.

I suspect we will have a reasonable roster to start the season and would love to get a few of the players we are targeting.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago
RIFan wrote: 2 years ago Both Archie and top Assistant were out of the loop and are now jumping back in. Trust me, I know this is torture right now waiting for that big announcement(s)…and waiting…
I am ok with waiting it out but the top assistant has already brought in one player he formerly coached. The other assistants have so far not closed on any new players. I am not sure who to credit for retaining Malik and Ish Leggett. I thought Walker was the only loss that hurt.

I suspect we will have a reasonable roster to start the season and would love to get a few of the players we are targeting.
Uh, how about crediting Archie with retaining Malik and Leggett?
Go Rhody
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago

Uh, how about crediting Archie with retaining Malik and Leggett?
That is alright with me but would not want to slight Austin if he had a hand in it as well.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI needs to build a basketball program that doesn't go backwards when a coach leaves. Players need to know and feel this as members of the program. We need to have confidence that the administration is always prepared to bring in as good or better replacement coach. I like Archie as our coach, but I am a URI basketball fan before being an Archie Miller fan. A head coach cannot be our program, just part of our program. The AD needs to make this happen.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Okay, R72, I’ll bite. What could URI have done better than hire Archie? What didn’t URI do in 2022 than it has done already?
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

UMASS Bryant and PC are cleaning up. Definitely doesn’t make us feel great but let’s be patient. None of this counts until we play ball.
GO RAMS
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago
woodennickel1 wrote: 2 years ago
Shinze88 wrote: 2 years ago

Hopkins might turn out to be a great addition for pc, but why is it that every time anyone is signed off the portal the coach is deemed to be crushing it?
I know he was highly rated as a prep and we know how rankings can sometimes work, but here is a guy that couldn't get on the floor for Kentucky and played significantly less than Jacob Toppin at the same position. Perhaps he was over recruited which is standard for programs like Kentucky.
I would put more weight on the transfers that have done something in college (Carter is an example) than what someone was ranked coming out of high school. The school that gets Davis from SMU is crushing it.

This is a very good transfer class for Cooley. How they perform as a team next year will be the judge if he “crushed it”.

Because he has signed five guys that were top 100 recruits coming out of high school. That is the definition of crushing it.
Of course, the ultimate proof of whether he crushed it will come next March. We all know that.
Just ask yourself this question: the day after PC’s season ended, did you think Cooley would bring in five players that at least have a chance to be significant contributors next year? I did not.
The key question to me is will any of the guards come close to giving them what Durham gave them this past season? They may need a by committee approach.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Also it seems we are waiting on Femi and Duru to make their decisions and it seems we are falling behind because of that hopefully we @ least get 1 of them
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Okay, R72, I’ll bite. What could URI have done better than hire Archie? What didn’t URI do in 2022 than it has done already?
Q1: URI has a history of saving money after a successful coach departs (JD, Cox) and see bad results. Then they step up. Archie is a good coach but will eventually depart voluntarily or involuntarily. When he leaves I want to know that URI will not take the cheap route but will put up the money to replace him with an equal or better coach.
Q2: Cox should have been fired or extended for s few years before the 21-22 season. Instead Thorr extended him one year and ended up eating two years of his contract anyways. Thorr put him in a situation where he couldn't recruit (except for a friend) for the future. This is why Archie has no freshman for next year. If Thorr was going to extend him, he should have done it for longer time period, BUT with a team favorable buy-out so he could still recruit.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

You didn’t answer my question.
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Okay, R72, I’ll bite. What could URI have done better than hire Archie? What didn’t URI do in 2022 than it has done already?
We've been through this already...the only thing they could have done better was to hire you know who. That didn't happen, the absolute next best thing did. Now, just need to be patient and wait for the dam break....maybe it'll happen at the STH event ;)
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

R72 is not saying that Archie is not a great hire - he is. The problem is after DH we cheaped out not only on the coach but in my opinion the program. A lot of that is from Cox not having the cache to demand more like a DH would . The point is we need to be a program bigger then the individual coach, we need an infrastructure in place that when Archie leaves the next coach just slides in and can have success and not have to worry about charter flights, practice facilities, strength programs, skills development staff, etc. Some of that leaves with a coach, but a lot of that behind the scenes program staff should want to stay at Rhody even with a change and that is the infrastructure that good programs that succeed through coaching changes have in place. We need ti commit the Coach who is here, but also commit to the program as a whole. I hope Archie is successful here and doesn’t leave for a decade plus because he is happy and winning - but if he does the program needs to be in a better place for the next guy.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4 New England Schools Ranked in the Top 20 Transfers

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Baske ... mRankings/
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago It can get frustrating but URI was not interested in the players that went to Bryant, and UMass is grabbing who they can. Archie is being patient so he ends up with the best team possible. Let's see how it works out.
This.

Games are not played in April. We are not "losing" or "getting our teeth kicked in" or any other moniker the impatient masses here want to throw.

Funny thing is a multitude of the people being impatient about not hearing recruiting new in APRIL, one month after a coach was hired, were the ones preaching patience about Dave Cox his last 2 seasons here.

As far as I know we haven't lost a single recruiting battle. No one chose UMass or PC over URI, that URI was actively targeting.

If you're reading tea leaves - it seems like we're waiting on Femi to commit before going after a second choice like Durugordon.

As CEO (and other leadership titles) of the AMFC, I trust whatever the hell Archie does. I trust whoever he brings in (or doesn't), and trust that whatever we have on November 1st, he's going to coach up and win with.

This isn't some wet behind the ears first time head coach that needs to show anything to this fanbase. The guy has proven he can win, done so in our conference, done so against us, and has won big games and NCAA games with 6 scholarship players - none taller than 6'6.

Archie and staff are very quiet how they do things. Bray wasn't on anyone's radar. Not for nothing he was on the A10 all-rookie team LAST YEAR. The last kid we had on that team was named Elbert. He wound up 3rd all time in points here. We're 1/1 recruiting right now.

The time to be impatient was 4 years ago when Cox moved Dowtin off the ball or laughed about Fatts calling his own plays. Now is the time to let the coach do his thing.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The A-10?

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago It can get frustrating but URI was not interested in the players that went to Bryant, and UMass is grabbing who they can. Archie is being patient so he ends up with the best team possible. Let's see how it works out.
This.

Games are not played in April. We are not "losing" or "getting our teeth kicked in" or any other moniker the impatient masses here want to throw.

Funny thing is a multitude of the people being impatient about not hearing recruiting new in APRIL, one month after a coach was hired, were the ones preaching patience about Dave Cox his last 2 seasons here.

As far as I know we haven't lost a single recruiting battle. No one chose UMass or PC over URI, that URI was actively targeting.

If you're reading tea leaves - it seems like we're waiting on Femi to commit before going after a second choice like Durugordon.

As CEO (and other leadership titles) of the AMFC, I trust whatever the hell Archie does. I trust whoever he brings in (or doesn't), and trust that whatever we have on November 1st, he's going to coach up and win with.

This isn't some wet behind the ears first time head coach that needs to show anything to this fanbase. The guy has proven he can win, done so in our conference, done so against us, and has won big games and NCAA games with 6 scholarship players - none taller than 6'6.

Archie and staff are very quiet how they do things. Bray wasn't on anyone's radar. Not for nothing he was on the A10 all-rookie team LAST YEAR. The last kid we had on that team was named Elbert. He wound up 3rd all time in points here. We're 1/1 recruiting right now.

The time to be impatient was 4 years ago when Cox moved Dowtin off the ball or laughed about Fatts calling his own plays. Now is the time to let the coach do his thing.
I agree BlueMan, it is way to early to make any judgement call yet and we need to be patient.
I like everyone else am very curious to see how our roster comes together in the coming weeks and months.

Still it is hard not to be impressed by what UMass, Bryant, and PC have been able to do in the portal thus far.
Frank Martin hit the ground running and certainly hasn't wasted any time in adding to his roster.
UMass with their coaching upgrade, who they have returning, and their new players, should be very competitive in the A10 this season.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago The A-10?

Not entirely surprising. If you're a mid-major, you have transfers in both direction - Some players moving up to power conferences, as well as guys like Greg Hammond and Matthew Butler transferring down. If you're "transferring up" from a power conference, you're just declaring for the draft and playing pro ball.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

What PC has done is good, but we should look at what UMass and Bryant are doing and be encouraged. At the end of the day, you know, whatever they get for dudes...we will get better dudes.
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
This.

I agree BlueMan, it is way to early to make any judgement call yet and we need to be patient.
I like everyone else am very curious to see how our roster comes together in the coming weeks and months.

Still it is hard not to be impressed by what UMass, Bryant, and PC have been able to do in the portal thus far.
Frank Martin hit the ground running and certainly hasn't waisted any time in adding to his roster.
UMass with their coaching upgrade, who they have returning, and their new players, should be very competitive in the A10 this season.
That's where I am. I believe Archie will build a great team. I believe Archie will get us back to the NCAA tournament.. It's tough for me to see teams I truly hate landing significant gets. PC has the number 1 ranked transfer class in the country. I don't buy for a second that Archie wouldn't have wanted to land some of them. We have a desperate need at wing, and Umass just landed a 6'7 wing that would perfectly fit us. A better get than Durugordon is. I guess we didn't "lose" these battles, but I consider it a loss if these kids aren't considering us.

We will need to see our final roster before making a final decision. However, I still love Archie MIller and will go to war with him any day!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago R72 is not saying that Archie is not a great hire - he is. The problem is after DH we cheaped out not only on the coach but in my opinion the program. A lot of that is from Cox not having the cache to demand more like a DH would . The point is we need to be a program bigger then the individual coach, we need an infrastructure in place that when Archie leaves the next coach just slides in and can have success and not have to worry about charter flights, practice facilities, strength programs, skills development staff, etc. Some of that leaves with a coach, but a lot of that behind the scenes program staff should want to stay at Rhody even with a change and that is the infrastructure that good programs that succeed through coaching changes have in place. We need ti commit the Coach who is here, but also commit to the program as a whole. I hope Archie is successful here and doesn’t leave for a decade plus because he is happy and winning - but if he does the program needs to be in a better place for the next guy.
Absolutely. There's a reason why the assistants we hire have largely been unsuccessful compared to the people we've hired with head coaching experience
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

This.

Frank Martin hit the ground running and certainly hasn't waisted any time in adding to his roster.
That's where I am. I believe Archie will build a great team. I believe Archie will get us back to the NCAA tournament.. It's tough for me to see teams I truly hate landing significant gets. PC has the number 1 ranked transfer class in the country. I don't buy for a second that Archie wouldn't have wanted to land some of them. We have a desperate need at wing, and Umass just landed a 6'7 wing that would perfectly fit us. A better get than Durugordon is. I guess we didn't "lose" these battles, but I consider it a loss if these kids aren't considering us.

We will need to see our final roster before making a final decision. However, I still love Archie MIller and will go to war with him any day!
Providence is in the Big East coming off of a Sweet Sixteen. We're not going to win recruiting battles against them right now. They're not relevant to any discussion we're having in terms of rebuilding our program at the moment
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

Frank Martin hit the ground running and certainly hasn't wasted any time in adding to his roster.

Providence is in the Big East coming off of a Sweet Sixteen. We're not going to win recruiting battles against them right now. They're not relevant to any discussion we're having in terms of rebuilding our program at the moment
Yes, it would be very difficult to win recruiting battles against PC.
They are an in-state rival so I do care and want to beat them every year.

UMass because they are in the A10 and same geographic area is a concern.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago R72 is not saying that Archie is not a great hire - he is. The problem is after DH we cheaped out not only on the coach but in my opinion the program. A lot of that is from Cox not having the cache to demand more like a DH would . The point is we need to be a program bigger then the individual coach, we need an infrastructure in place that when Archie leaves the next coach just slides in and can have success and not have to worry about charter flights, practice facilities, strength programs, skills development staff, etc. Some of that leaves with a coach, but a lot of that behind the scenes program staff should want to stay at Rhody even with a change and that is the infrastructure that good programs that succeed through coaching changes have in place. We need ti commit the Coach who is here, but also commit to the program as a whole. I hope Archie is successful here and doesn’t leave for a decade plus because he is happy and winning - but if he does the program needs to be in a better place for the next guy.
I didn’t ask about postDH. I asked what R72 would have done differently or better than hire Archie and allow him to assemble the best staff. He’s judging the state of the program by the fact we have only 6 players on the roster. Would anyone have done better in the first few weeks of his tenure? It is way too early to be negative about the state of the program. Guys like R72 are negative for negativity’s sake.

We can start being negative once a roster has been assembled, presumably by summer’s end.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
I didn’t ask about postDH. I asked what R72 would have done differently or better than hire Archie and allow him to assemble the best staff. He’s judging the state of the program by the fact we have only 6 players on the roster. Would anyone have done better in the first few weeks of his tenure? It is way too early to be negative about the state of the program. Guys like R72 are negative for negativity’s sake.

We can start being negative once a roster has been assembled, presumably by summer’s end.
It's tough to define "better." Each of us have different definitions.

Would another coach have brought more than one player in since he was hired? Probably.

Would those players be as good as the players Archie will eventually bring in? Who knows.

So it's almost impossible to answer the question of if another coach would have done better than Archie since he was hired.

Some of us would say yes, and some would say no.
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Having laid low here, I am not at all concerned about the pace by which our roster is being completed, I have confidence in Archie’s building this out his way…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Would another coach have brought more than one player in since he was hired? Probably.

Would those players be as good as the players Archie will eventually bring in? Who knows.

So it's almost impossible to answer the question of if another coach would have done better than Archie since he was hired.

That’s basically my point. I get annoyed when R72 pontificates so negatively and nonsensically.
Slava Ukraini!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RR02, Screw that. Do you think Archie is saying PC had a great year, so now we can't win a recruiting battle against them? No chance... They aren't Duke. They had a great season, but a top A10 team can recruit against mid-tier big east teams without question. They won't win every battle, but they will win some. Dan did. Archie will as well.

Forget about PC. Bryant and Umass have landed some great players. So that is the bar right now. I expect Archie to do the same or better.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

That’s basically my point. I get annoyed when R72 pontificates so negatively and nonsensically.
I think it's time we all move on from responding to him. It was fun when we sucked but it's time to focus on Archie building a top A10 program. We all know 72 is a PC fan and he hates that we landed Archie.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RR02, Screw that. Do you think Archie is saying PC had a great year, so now we can't win a recruiting battle against them? No chance... They aren't Duke. They had a great season, but a top A10 team can recruit against mid-tier big east teams without question. They won't win every battle, but they will win some. Dan did. Archie will as well.

Forget about PC. Bryant and Umass have landed some great players. So that is the bar right now. I expect Archie to do the same or better.
Yes Stevey, depending on the connections with our staff we should be able to win certain recruiting battles regardless of our competition.

Right now the important thing is to close the deal on some of these prospects.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago
Impressive list. It's gonna take a lot of effort on Archie's part to compete with the likes of A&M-Corpus Christi, Nicholls State and Grambling.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Ha... Kind of an interesting list. The programs on there are mostly the bluest of blue bloods (Duke) or programs with a niche (Hawaii, Grambling).
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Notice I said right now and at the moment? Sorry, but any player that is seriously being recruited by both schools is going to pick PC coming off of a Sweet Sixteen over URI coming off of 10th and 11th place finishes in the A10 unless they really only care about playing time. We're not a top A10 team now, we're a crappy A10 bottom feeder that has aspirations and the right coach to be a top A10 team, but we're not there yet, not even close. PC is irrelevant to us and what Archie is trying to build right now, but hopefully Archie will have us back in the battle sooner rather than later.

Bryant is also irrelevant. They've collected castoffs and guys that weren't getting minutes elsewhere. Walker is a perfect example of this. I liked him a lot as a player and felt Cox did a particularly poor job with minute distribution in the front court these last two years, but he had two guys most here were happy to see leave get way more minutes than he was getting. He's a great piece for an America East team, but he probably wasn't going to be part of the next good URI team had he stayed. If Archie wanted, I'm sure he could have grabbed (or kept) guys that are at Bryant or highly comparable players. Those guys aren't going to get us where we need, and want, to go. We're aiming higher.

UMass is a worry, however we're talking about a two week sample, and a lot of the ground they covered over us so far could just as easily be explained by small sample size and a coach that's been in the game all along vs. a coach who was out of the game for a year and needs to get connections reestablished. You'll have to excuse me if I'm planning on waiting until A. 11/7 to see how the first offseason went and B. April of 2026 to see where each coach has their respective program. If you want to crown their ass based on a two week sample in mid to late April I can't stop you but I'm not there.

I think the biggest problem throughout this board is people saw the hire and said oh great, we hired Archie, we've arrived. No, we haven't arrived, not even close. We're a massive rebuilding job. An A10 bottom feeder with the roster to match, then the roster fluctuation that comes with a new coach. Archie's the right coach, but he's also a coach that has been out of the game for a year and needs to reestablish connections. We're going to be good, but people really need to recalibrate their expectations for year 1 and probably have to for year 2 as well
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Notice I said right now and at the moment? Sorry, but any player that is seriously being recruited by both schools is going to pick PC coming off of a Sweet Sixteen over URI coming off of 10th and 11th place finishes in the A10 unless they really only care about playing time. We're not a top A10 team now, we're a crappy A10 bottom feeder that has aspirations and the right coach to be a top A10 team, but we're not there yet, not even close. PC is irrelevant to us and what Archie is trying to build right now, but hopefully Archie will have us back in the battle sooner rather than later.

Bryant is also irrelevant. They've collected castoffs and guys that weren't getting minutes elsewhere. Walker is a perfect example of this. I liked him a lot as a player and felt Cox did a particularly poor job with minute distribution in the front court these last two years, but he had two guys most here were happy to see leave get way more minutes than he was getting. He's a great piece for an America East team, but he probably wasn't going to be part of the next good URI team had he stayed. If Archie wanted, I'm sure he could have grabbed (or kept) guys that are at Bryant or highly comparable players. Those guys aren't going to get us where we need, and want, to go. We're aiming higher.

UMass is a worry, however we're talking about a two week sample, and a lot of the ground they covered over us so far could just as easily be explained by small sample size and a coach that's been in the game all along vs. a coach who was out of the game for a year and needs to get connections reestablished. You'll have to excuse me if I'm planning on waiting until A. 11/7 to see how the first offseason went and B. April of 2026 to see where each coach has their respective program. If you want to crown their ass based on a two week sample in mid to late April I can't stop you but I'm not there.

I think the biggest problem throughout this board is people saw the hire and said oh great, we hired Archie, we've arrived. No, we haven't arrived, not even close. We're a massive rebuilding job. An A10 bottom feeder with the roster to match, then the roster fluctuation that comes with a new coach. Archie's the right coach, but he's also a coach that has been out of the game for a year and needs to reestablish connections. We're going to be good, but people really need to recalibrate their expectations for year 1 and probably have to for year 2 as well
Depends on the story and the sell.

Hurley won a lot of recruiting battles with EC, Hass, and Terrell by pitching the "be a cornerstone of something great."

The Hurley teams - specifically those guys - EC, Jared, Hass - are the guys that people my age will be telling our grandkids and the other youngins on the board about. They're Rhody legends for lifting this program out of the darkness and ushering in a new era.

That's a story that resonates with kids. Not everyone wants to be "the next team that went to a sweet 16 or won a Big East title." The opportunity to be the players that land on the moon is a rare one. It works for the right guys.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Depends on the story and the sell.

Hurley won a lot of recruiting battles with EC, Hass, and Terrell by pitching the "be a cornerstone of something great."

The Hurley teams - specifically those guys - EC, Jared, Hass - are the guys that people my age will be telling our grandkids and the other youngins on the board about. They're Rhody legends for lifting this program out of the darkness and ushering in a new era.

That's a story that resonates with kids. Not everyone wants to be "the next team that went to a sweet 16 or won a Big East title." The opportunity to be the players that land on the moon is a rare one. It works for the right guys.
Agreed, but I think you're going to see that more with high school players we're recruiting vs transfers we're courting, though I'm sure that's part of the sell for the transfers as well. Just think it will be more effective with the high schoolers
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

This.

While games are not won or lost in April. they are won and lost by what happens in the off-season.
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

As I said earlier, and considering where we were for the last few years, the ship of URI hoops is slowing turning in the correct direction, slow and steady in the off season, I am being patient and looking forward for Archie being introduced at home game 1…….any scheduling news?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
This.

While games are not won or lost in April. they are won and lost by what happens in the off-season.
Well we fired Cox who you wanted to give big money and an extension to. Then we hired Archie Miller. I think we won.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago As I said earlier, and considering where we were for the last few years, the ship of URI hoops is slowing turning in the correct direction, slow and steady in the off season, I am being patient and looking forward for Archie being introduced at home game 1…….any scheduling news?
Open with Quinnipiac Tuesday November 7th.
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago As I said earlier, and considering where we were for the last few years, the ship of URI hoops is slowing turning in the correct direction, slow and steady in the off season, I am being patient and looking forward for Archie being introduced at home game 1…….any scheduling news?
Open with Quinnipiac Tuesday November 7th.
Maybe that should be unofficial Keaney Blue plaid jacket nite…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jim Larranaga playing the transfer market smart again this year dipping into the Sun Belt conference to get a top player. Much like last year when he did similar with George Mason.
Older, veteran Head Coach recruiting with the best of them. A rolling stone gathers no moss.

7ACE76BE-5C14-4BFD-B4E3-0A57DD9AA279.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Jim Larranaga playing the transfer market smart again this year dipping into the Sun Belt conference to get a top player. Much like last year when he did similar with George Mason.
Older, veteran Head Coach recruiting with the best of them. A rolling stone gathers no moss.

7ACE76BE-5C14-4BFD-B4E3-0A57DD9AA279.png
Jim L got Pack $800,000 + a car from a top booster. The booster deserves the credit for recruiting.