Red Sox and other Major League Baseball

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Red Sox and other Major League Baseball

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago They have no one to blame but themselves for their bullpen issues.

People think they didn't keep Kimbrel because of money. Weak excuse.

I think there might have been other issues.
When people think it's not the money, or say it's not the money, it usually is the money.
I think in this case, they just didn't want the combination of the money + his unreliability + his ineffectiveness in non-save sitches + inability to go two innings + inability to deal with coming in to a game with runners on +...+....

I'm ok with him not here....would still like a closer, just not him.
We can blame the relievers but ultimately Cora has to take the ownership
He pulls starters too soon. Yesterday did he have to only go 5 innings with his starter who was going great?
Barnes is an enigma. Sometimes looks great but when he’s bad he’s very bad and it’s easy to see early when he has no control. Cora is too slow to recognize when his pitcher is off. He is way too patient
Cora needs to go with staters longer especially when they are pitching well
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The Sox relievers are just inconsistent....sometimes they're great, and other times they suck. Workman's been the best of them, and that's not saying a whole lot.

Hard to manage all of them with that problem.

As for the starters, it's all about this analytics crap....pitch count etc.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago The Sox relievers are just inconsistent....sometimes they're great, and other times they suck. Workman's been the best of them, and that's not saying a whole lot.

The "analytics crap" has a pretty good track record for us, this 21st Century.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago The Sox relievers are just inconsistent....sometimes they're great, and other times they suck. Workman's been the best of them, and that's not saying a whole lot.

I think Theo had a good record with the analytics. The problem is in recent years, the team failed to recognize that luck could have anything to do with it -- That maybe being forced to rely on your starters in the bullpen, while a neat trick, isn't something you should rely on year after year, that maybe, especially after losing your closer and having to rely on those starters last year as much as they did, you might try to find 2-3 solid relievers to lock down the regular season and hopefully not be stuck needing to do that on a regular basis in the 2019 playoffs. That is just one example, but that's the one that has probably bothered me the most.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago

I think Theo had a good record with the analytics. The problem is in recent years, the team failed to recognize that luck could have anything to do with it -- That maybe being forced to rely on your starters in the bullpen, while a neat trick, isn't something you should rely on year after year, that maybe, especially after losing your closer and having to rely on those starters last year as much as they did, you might try to find 2-3 solid relievers to lock down the regular season and hopefully not be stuck needing to do that on a regular basis in the 2019 playoffs. That is just one example, but that's the one that has probably bothered me the most.
I'm not sure there is such a thing as a "solid reliever" - solid relievers stay as starting pitchers, and the rest of them, it seems like the shelf life of effectiveness can be anywhere from a couple months to 20 years. Like, MLB.com's top six heading into the year for FA relievers were Ottavino, Familia, Soria, Robertson, Kimbrel and Chavez. Three have ERAs north of 5.00, two are under 3.00, and one priced himself out of a contract with 32 teams.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a "solid reliever" - solid relievers stay as starting pitchers, and the rest of them, it seems like the shelf life of effectiveness can be anywhere from a couple months to 20 years. Like, MLB.com's top six heading into the year for FA relievers were Ottavino, Familia, Soria, Robertson, Kimbrel and Chavez. Three have ERAs north of 5.00, two are under 3.00, and one priced himself out of a contract with 32 teams.
And that's fine but are you better off trying to find some guys who can help or simply say "We did it last year we can do it again this year?" I'd rather them have taken flyers on some of the middle-priced relievers and try to solidify the pen, and at least if it doesn't work you say "We tried," versus doing nothing and watching AAA guys like Lakins or Poyner pitching in meaningful spots and predictably blow leads. Heck, last night Cora pulled Colten Brewer with a 3-2 count. I have never seen that, by far one of the strangest things I've ever seen.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cora's a good manager obviously, but last season every move he made he looked like a genius.

As we know the baseball gods have a way of getting even.....this season some of his unconventional moves have come back to bite him in the ass.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And that's fine but are you better off trying to find some guys who can help or simply say "We did it last year we can do it again this year?" I'd rather them have taken flyers on some of the middle-priced relievers and try to solidify the pen, and at least if it doesn't work you say "We tried," versus doing nothing and watching AAA guys like Lakins or Poyner pitching in meaningful spots and predictably blow leads. Heck, last night Cora pulled Colten Brewer with a 3-2 count. I have never seen that, by far one of the strangest things I've ever seen.
Cora’s explanation of the 3-2 pitching change - revolved around the stolen base making it runners on 2nd and 3rd

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2019/06 ... nager.html
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

What a mess in St. Pete... We lived there, right up until just before they got the Devil Rays. Went back a couple years later, made it to their inaugural game and also happened to be there when Wade Boggs got his 3,000th.

This seems to sum up the whole Rays story on this two city deal:
It takes a lot of courage and conviction to stand by an embarrassing idea in front of the local press, God, and everyone. A lot of misguided courage and conviction, but courage and conviction nonetheless.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/rays ... rs-office/

Hats off to Kevin Cash...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago What a mess in St. Pete... We lived there, right up until just before they got the Devil Rays. Went back a couple years later, made it to their inaugural game and also happened to be there when Wade Boggs got his 3,000th.

It takes a lot of courage and conviction to stand by an embarrassing idea in front of the local press, God, and everyone. A lot of misguided courage and conviction, but courage and conviction nonetheless.

I've seen the Sox play in Tampa a couple of times. My memories are of the Stale Beer Small and the sticky floors in the Stadium. Not enabling the Sun and Rain to hit the floors and the seats just makes the place smell bad. Not sure I like Baseball indoors - football yes, but not baseball
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't think the problems are so much due to only the Relief Pitching as it is the Starting Pitching

Red Sox would be in huge trouble if not for these 2 relief pitchers:
Brandon Workman: 39 games, 7 wins 1 loss, 36 innings ONLY 11 hits, 1.75 ERA
Marcus Walden: 31 games, 6 wins 0 losses, 42 innings, 2.57 ERA

These 2 guys are 13 - 1!!! 12 games over .500. The team is only 6 games over .500

Barnes is Barnes. Cora's fault for relaying so much on a guy who is so unpredictable. No surprise when he displays his horrible control. When he doesn't have it he doesn't have it but Cora leaves him in too long too often

The Starters have underperformed to expectations:
Evalde injured
Sale only 3-7 with a 3.59 ERA
Porcello 5-7 with a 4.52 ERA
Price only 4-2 with a 3.39 ERA - injured part of season
Velazquez only 1-3 with a 5.59 ERA
Rodriguez 8-4 with a 4.87 ERA

We would be royally screwed without Workman and Walden
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago What a mess in St. Pete... We lived there, right up until just before they got the Devil Rays. Went back a couple years later, made it to their inaugural game and also happened to be there when Wade Boggs got his 3,000th.

I've seen the Sox play in Tampa a couple of times. My memories are of the Stale Beer Small and the sticky floors in the Stadium. Not enabling the Sun and Rain to hit the floors and the seats just makes the place smell bad. Not sure I like Baseball indoors - football yes, but not baseball
We were there for Sox series two of the last 3 years. So lucky on timing. I mean, when someone plans a vaca to FLA...how fortunate is it when your favorite baseball team happens to be there, too? ;) Yes, it's a miserable place to play or watch a game. It's like you're in the basement. Fortunately, they do have a very good brew selection, which helps... and, even with airfare, car, and beach condo rental, it's probably about the same as driving up to a game at Fenway cost-wise.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

As bad as the 1st half was still on pace for 88 wins
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 4 years ago As bad as the 1st half was still on pace for 88 wins
Reef,
Sox are now at the exact half way point having played 81 games

They have won 10 of their last 13 going 10-3 which has put them 7 games over .500

Tampa Bay has lost 10 of their last 14 going 4-10 and now only 2 games ahead of Boston

A fast closing of the gap between Boston and Tampa

Plus the Sox are getting back Wright, Evalde and Hembre for the 2nd half of the season

Only 4 teams in the American League have more wins than Boston, despite the starting pitching struggles and pitcher injuries
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Just think where the Sox would be if the bullpen hadn't blown 16 games already.

Today another went down the drain with Barnes coughing up a 9th inning lead, after the Sox had rallied an inning earlier.

They have ZERO chance of catching the Yankees if they blow another 16 games the rest of the season.

What's also surprising is the RS are .500 at home so far.

Eovaldi coming back will help, although it could take a while to settle in. He might be best used as a long reliever, giving the rest of the pen a break when the dog days hit in the second half.

Hembree is another inconsistent sort, although him and Wright add more depth.

Wright always pitches well against the Yanks.....knuckleballers and junkballers usually do.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

17 saves and 16 blown saves. Good grief.. Just end the experiment already, wake me up when they have a closer.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tell Cora to stop putting in Barnes. His confidence is gone. His control is often erratic. Cora should not have put Barnes in - most in the stadium knew what was going to happen except the Manager.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Barnes is an example of what happens when you overuse a reliever.

He fades later in the season as the workload increases. He's not alone.

Bullpens across the league will have the same issues.

The Yanks and Sox bullpens will get some rest in the next several days with the trip to London, and again during all star week.

But later on the issue will resurface.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Barnes is an example of what happens when you overuse a reliever.

The Yanks and Sox bullpens will get some rest in the next several days with the trip to London, and again during all star week.

Since I knew what was going to happen already, I left watching the game to run to the packy. It was over when I came out to drive home and I was hearing ridiculous stats like 17 saves, 16 blown saves and another that was something like, "On the second day of being used in back to back games, Barnes has an ERA over 11.00..."

AC likes to talk about 'last year' a lot. Last year, instead of 17 saves, 16 blown, likely half those bs's would've been won (and I know they're not all losses) Think about if Kimbrel was still on the team. If he were the primary closer, instead of 16 bs's, maybe there would be 8. People (including probably me) would be calling for his head but, they'd probably have 8 more wins, even with mediocre CK (and I am NOT a fan of that guy a-tall)...and be right in the thick of things instead of on the fringe.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Barnes is an example of what happens when you overuse a reliever.

Bullpens across the leagues have had these issues, it's actually remarkable.

Relievers have higher ERA's than starters for the first time since 1969.

Bullpen ERA is second worst in the last 69 years (only 2000 was worse).

Bullpen ERA by Month:
April: 4.37
May: 4.45
June: 4.74 (through Sunday)

Starters are averaging 88 pitches per start, and bullpens are pitching an average of 3.62 innings per game.

Only in 1930 have hitters hit a higher slugging percentage against relief pitchers.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

It is almost like relievers are fungible, and like running backs, its a mistake to give them big money. :D Better to just churn through them and eventually find a couple that are effective. Even for closers, the end can be brutal and swift, unless you're an all-timer like Rivera.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yanks 17, Sox 13....hell of a football game!

Oh wait.....

Seriously, why did Cora leave Shawaryn in so long?

Maybe because he thought the Sox were toast already?

He thought wrong....if he doesn't leave the guy in so long, that game might have ended differently.

And Boone wanted to save his top relievers due to them going to a bullpen game tomorrow...and that almost cost them.

Both teams used 8 pitchers each....will we see more of the same tomorrow?

Almost 5 hours long and over 440 pitches...sheesh
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

After months of crappy internet performance and all kinds of complaining, nothing happened until...I contacted the BBB.
My service was improved within a week and has remained MUCH better.
I'm thinking it's maybe time to file a BBB complaint against the Red Sox blow-pen? Flippn turrrrble.....You watch, just KNOWING that their guy at the plate is going to get a hit. Why? Because you know the reliever on your team generally goes out there and creates a huge vacuum....
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

This...is amazing. Way to go, Bobby Bo!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/270 ... ery-july-1

The Mets will be paying Bonilla more this season than they will pay Pete Alonso and Jeff McNeil combined. Bonilla last played for the Mets in 1999 and last played in the majors for the Cardinals in 2001, but will be paid through 2035 (when he'll be 72).

Other notable examples of deferred-money contracts
• Bobby Bonilla (again): A second deferred-contract plan with the Mets and Orioles pays him $500,000 a year for 25 years. Those payments began in 2004.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Seriously, why did Cora leave Shawaryn in so long?

Maybe because he thought the Sox were toast already?

He thought wrong....if he doesn't leave the guy in so long, that game might have ended differently.
The Sox bullpen is such trash that I'm not sure what he can do. I'm putting the heat on Dombrowski, not Cora.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I received a bunch of internet rumors when I woke this morning suggesting when Eovaldi comes back, he is going to be the closer. Apparently TC broke that news. I like the move in that I think their bullpen sucks and he's much better than anything they have, but I think it just goes to show what happens when you want to build a bullpen around a few B relievers and hope to plug and play a bunch of AAA relievers around them hoping to strike lightning in a bottle. I never wanted them to bring back Kimbrel, but I was ok with them trying to spend a little money on a some risky relievers who didn't have consistent performance on their side, but at least had a proven season or two of big league success. I'd rather go down swinging with someone you invested in (even if it's a $2.5 million one year deal Pomeranz type pitcher off of one good half season), rather than continuing to throw out the trash bag of relievers that include guys like Lakins, Poyner, Taylor, Weber, Smith, Shawaryn, Thornberg, Brewer, etc. If you want to have a few of those guys in the back of your 'pen to serve as mop up guys and maybe develop into a bigger weapon, sure. Problem is, all of those guys have been forced to pitch in key situations and have blown games. A good bullpen needs 4-5 solid role guys, the Sox started the season with 2. Now they've run those guys into the ground, and have to take a $17 million starting pitcher and chuck him in the 'pen, when he doesn't even want to pitch there in the first place. Ugh.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Devers with his 4-5 last night is now up to .329 batting average through 82 games (325 AB) behind only DJ LeMahieu who is hitting .341.

In 2018 Devers hit .240 over 121 games (450 AB), and in 2017 Devers hit .284 over 58 games (222 AB)

What a year Devers is having.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Actually not sad that Devers and Bogaerts didn't make the All Star team. Maybe there'll be a little extra motivation, combined with a nice few days off before continuing to tear it up in the 2nd half.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree 208
They will be extra motivated. The rest will help them, Devers had an injury recently.
Both deserved to be on the All Star Team. Both have had great years so far above expectations.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Devers with his 4-5 last night is now up to .329 batting average through 82 games (325 AB) behind only DJ LeMahieu who is hitting .341.

In 2018 Devers hit .240 over 121 games (450 AB), and in 2017 Devers hit .284 over 58 games (222 AB)

What a year Devers is having.
Devers is now up to .331 with 2 games til the All Star Game. Only 22 years old what an amazing season Devers continues to have
LeMahieu is down to .337 so the gap is closing. He killed the Sox in the 2-game series in London going 7-12 but since then a bad 4-24.

Would love to see Devers take the Batting lead by Sunday night going into the All Star Game

Many years ago it would be unheard of for the #2 batter in the League to not be invited to the All Star Game. The All Star Game was heavily based on how players performed in the first half of the season. A shame he doesn’t even get on the roster with the year he is having.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nice Projo article on Rafael Devers

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... sox-dugout
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Red Sox finish with 4 straight wins going into All Star Break

Next Fri, Sat, Sun - Sox host the winningest team in baseball, the LA Dodgers with 60 wins
Plan is Rodriguez, Sale and Price

Dodgers lost 3 consecutive games heading into All Star game
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rodriguez great Friday night as he goes to (10-4) on the season.
Sale tonight.
Sox have the longest current winning streak in the majors now with 5 consecutive wins.

Josh Taylor effective in relief once again. Last 5 starts Taylor has a total 5.2 innings, no runs and 7 K’s
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sale no good again

We picked up a Pitcher Cashner ??
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bad management by Cora last night vs Dodgers
Bradley leads off bottom of 11th with a double off the wall
Hernandez doesn’t try to bunt Bradley to 3rd at all. ESPN Announcers (it was ESPN Sunday Night Game) were bewildered by Cora’s strategy to not bunt
With 2 strikes The left hand batting Hernandez grounds to Short Stop and Bradley inexplicably tries for 3rd and is easily thrown out, by so much he doesn’t even try to slide.
My little league and Babe Ruth days of playing and then managing says it’s fundamental that you do not try to take a base on a ball hit in front of you - and especially with nobody out and the lead off batter in scoring position at 2nd base.
Worse yet the top of the order is up following Hernandez.

Where I really lose it on Cora is that he does not own up to the bonehead play post game.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I watched until Velazquez walked that guy in to make it 5-4. Knew I would wake up today and they would have lost 7-4. Very predictable.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Our bats are coming around nicely

We will be in a battle for a wild card
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago I watched until Velazquez walked that guy in to make it 5-4. Knew I would wake up today and they would have lost 7-4. Very predictable.
That was painful. Velazquez walked in the run AFTER ha allowed the bases to get loaded with in outs. And, incredulously Cora and staff had nobody warming up in the dugout even after Velazquez has loaded the bases.

Then last night once again Cora brings in Barnes who gives up a hit. Sox went from a laugher to only 10-8 lead. Fortunately they held on to win 10-8.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Our bats are coming around nicely

We will be in a battle for a wild card
Bats yes, starting, middle relief and closing pitching all leave much to be desired.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Cora had a good season last year, but there were many times throughout the course of the season he made some wild decisions and it felt like 9 out of those 10 decisions all went in his favor. This year feels like the opposite - Feels like every questionable decision he has made has blown up on him 9 out of 10 times.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Bad management by Cora last night vs Dodgers
Bradley leads off bottom of 11th with a double off the wall
Hernandez doesn’t try to bunt Bradley to 3rd at all. ESPN Announcers (it was ESPN Sunday Night Game) were bewildered by Cora’s strategy to not bunt
With 2 strikes The left hand batting Hernandez grounds to Short Stop and Bradley inexplicably tries for 3rd and is easily thrown out, by so much he doesn’t even try to slide.
Only thing that came to mind for me - Maybe Hernandez is a really shitty bunter. I kind of wonder if the Sox keep track of that more in-depth at the minor league level, or practice bunts, or something else. According to Baseball Reference, he has 23 sacrifices in nine seasons, between the majors and minors. He only has 1 in 171 Major League plate appearances. I think because he's a utility infielder, we assume that means he can get a bunt down, but it isn't like those skills are correlated. That, plus his decent average in a short sample size this year, maybe that's why. (Pure speculation on my part here, though.)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

How great to see Mike Yastrzemski hit a walk off HR in extra innings last night for the Giants. Proud Grandpa Carl is.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Big nailbiter W tonite. The Division Collision continues...

Agree with Ramster on Yaz 3.0 - great stuff.

ETA:

Sale with 116 pitches tonight. I think it's good to see him stretched out that far. Imagine that ... 116 pitches = stretched out.
But, if he can consistently go deep(er than 6 preferably, but 116 pitches is ok) on a regular basis, that will be so yuge.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Keep pitching him 116 pitches, and he'll have spaghetti arm by September.

If Cora does what Farrell did, the Sox have zero chance.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Also love the Yaz thing

Huge Sox win makes the wild card very close 4 teams for 2 spots
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It was a huge Sox win. Now need a win tonight to sweep Tampa Bay! Then 4 games with Yankees at Fenway, 3 games at Tampa and 4 games in NY. These 14 consecutive games against Tampa Bay and Yankees will go a long way towards deciding Red Sox fate.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

San Francisco wins again as old Red Sox friend Pablo Sandoval hits walk off home run in 13th against Division leading Cubs.

SF has now won an amazing 17 of last 20. SF has won 7 of last 8 with 5 of those 7 wins all coming in extra inning games.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Amazing Yanks-Twins game last night...or should I say this morning....14-12 in 10 innings....game had everything.

It's the kind of game that makes you wonder if it's going to be the Yankees' year.

But they still need more starting pitching. Expect a deal to be made by next Wednesday's trade deadline.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Sox may have been better served losing the last few games, but at this point they have to go for it. They are too close to blow it up.

If there is one annoying thing about the Sox, it's that they have the longest games this season and it's not even close.

Their AVERAGE time of game is 3:23. Game with a first pitch at 7:10 ends at 10:33 every night. It's TERRIBLE.

It's 15 minutes more than the league average (3:08), which is up four minutes on last season's league average (3:04), a season that featured more extra inning games.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The Sox have what seems like endless mound visits every game.

Price is the slowest between pitches of any pitcher in MLB, especially with runners on.

Yeah they can still win a wild card....after the next 12 games we'll know if they have any chance at the division.

The Yankees also go on the road in August to the Dodgers and A's, so nothing is certain yet.

Many teams bullpens are getting overworked.....including the Yanks'. Too many walks.

Many starters don't even get to the 5th inning, more and more often.