22-23 Starting Five

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Re: 22-23 Starting Five

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
What were Carey and Bassy numbers last year ??
Bassey was 0 and Carey was 15
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jalen was 15 and Bassy was 0.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Nobody is guaranteed starting spots.
True, although Bray is probably a better bet than anyone else, based on his performance in the A10 last season.
I expect Bray to be good for Rhody but can not cosign with the commentators on here who think all of our returning players are limited to being bench pieces at best on a good team. Cox tried to feature the twins and let them do whatever they wanted. Cox did not even run plays to create open looks for DJ Johnson when we had him on the court the prior season. As far as I'm concerned it should be an open competition for minutes and roles. Given that injuries are likely to occur as well hopefully guys are ready when they get their chances.
Miller recruited potential All Conference Guards in Harris, Weston and Freeman.
If he didn’t recruit these 3 guards then Leggett, Thomas and Carey would be the starting guards for the upcoming season.

Sheppard, El-Amin and Leggett disappointed last year based on the preseason expectations. Passes tended to be soft and lazy.

We will see but if this team is to be Top 3 in conference and challenge for a Bid then it’s going to happen because of Weston, Harris and Freeman playing at close to All Conference levels plus decent frontcourt production from Martin, Foumina, Stewart and others.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Of course, like I said other than Bray no definite starters at this time.
Nobody is guaranteed starting spots.
True, although Bray is probably a better bet than anyone else, based on his performance in the A10 last season.
I see Harris, Weston and Freeman all battling for the 3 starting guard spots. Freeman came from a bad team so he got lots of minutes. Any or all of the 3 could challenge for All A10. Last year nobody on the team challenged for All A10 or All Rookie.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I expect Bray to be good for Rhody but can not cosign with the commentators on here who think all of our returning players are limited to being bench pieces at best on a good team. Cox tried to feature the twins and let them do whatever they wanted. Cox did not even run plays to create open looks for DJ Johnson when we had him on the court the prior season. As far as I'm concerned it should be an open competition for minutes and roles. Given that injuries are likely to occur as well hopefully guys are ready when they get their chances.
If he didn’t recruit these 3 guards then Leggett, Thomas and Carey would be the starting guards for the upcoming season.

Sheppard, El-Amin and Leggett disappointed last year based on the preseason expectations. Passes tended to be soft and lazy.

We will see but if this team is to be Top 3 in conference and challenge for a Bid then it’s going to happen because of Weston, Harris and Freeman playing at close to All Conference levels plus decent frontcourt production from Martin, Foumina, Stewart and others.
I couldn’t agree more. Great post
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Agree as well. The player potential and coaching make it possible.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I think most would agree that Bray, Weston, and Ant would all have to play a major role for this program to have success "in the near future".
In addition we need to get a solid contribution from our young frontcourt.

But I think it is asking too much for all these new pieces to mesh perfectly this season and for these transfers to immediately live up to the hype.
We would have to leap over some very strong A10 teams to finish top 3 conference and be part of the NCAAT discussion.
I don't think that will happen this year.

I hope I eat my words about 22-23, but I doubt it.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Under promise, over deliver. I hope.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall in one of Archie’s meetings with the staff to hear their thoughts on where they figure they stack versus the rest of the A10.

Knowing the way they operate though, they probably have the office swept for bugs and have fly swatters at the ready. Stealth staff 8-)
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

I think most would agree that Bray, Weston, and Ant would all have to play a major role for this program to have success "in the near future".

But I think it is asking too much for all these new pieces to mesh perfectly this season and for these transfers to immediately live up to the hype.
We would have to leap over some very strong A10 teams to finish top 3 conference and be part of the NCAAT discussion.

It sure seems like the A-10 should be strong next year, but the A-10 seems to struggle to live up to the hype lately ya know? Since our reign ended when Dan left the entire league hasn't done shit in the non-conference. So it may not be that difficult to be near the top if teams continue to fall on their face instead of meeting expectations. Of course I hope our top teams deliver. Makes it better for us for obvious reasons.

We easily have the talent at guard to compete. Bray is already an all conference player. We have 3 4 star level talented guards with some solid complimentary pieces around them. As we know, you can kick people's ass in the A-10 with 4 star guards. Not a lot of teams in this league get athletes like that.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

It sure seems like the A-10 should be strong next year, but the A-10 seems to struggle to live up to the hype lately ya know? Since our reign ended when Dan left the entire league hasn't done shit in the non-conference. So it may not be that difficult to be near the top if teams continue to fall on their face instead of meeting expectations. Of course I hope our top teams deliver. Makes it better for us for obvious reasons.

We easily have the talent at guard to compete. Bray is already an all conference player. We have 3 4 star level talented guards with some solid complimentary pieces around them. As we know, you can kick people's ass in the A-10 with 4 star guards. Not a lot of teams in this league get athletes like that.
We should and probably will, but just not this season.

Bray is not already an all-conference guard.
He was on the freshmen team along with 3 other guards: Nunn, Smith, and Reynolds.

As much as I like the additions of Weston and Harris, they still need to prove themselves on the court.

Last season the top 3 A10 teams all had dominant bigs: Davidson, Richmond, and Dayton.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yea, I sort of compare Weston and Harris to Carey, and to a lesser extent, the twins.

All of them highly ranked coming out of high school with minimal college production.

Harris seems to have had off the court issues at UNC as well, just like the twins did at Maryland.

I might of missed it, but I haven't seen anyone mention Koch writing about Harris' off the court issues, whatever those may be.

I'm in a wait and see approach with those two, strictly because we've been burned too many times.
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Yea, I sort of compare Weston and Harris to Carey, and to a lesser extent, the twins.

All of them highly ranked coming out of high school with minimal college production.

Harris seems to have had off the court issues at UNC as well, just like the twins did at Maryland.

I might of missed it, but I haven't seen anyone mention Koch writing about Harris' off the court issues, whatever those may be.

I'm in a wait and see approach with those two, strictly because we've been burned too many times.
I'd compare them more to a Stan Robinson or Kuran. Weston is a highly ranked player like Kuran. Ant had a better role his freshman year like Stan did at Indiana. Like Dan, Archie has proven that he has a much better eye for talent over Cox. Cox allowed the Twins to do whatever the hell they wanted. Archie pushed them out.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

https://www.yurview.com/regions/new-eng ... -for-sure/

Do you guys think Ish is in the starting five this year? I wanted to reopen the discussion now that we have a final roster.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago https://www.yurview.com/regions/new-eng ... -for-sure/

Do you guys think Ish is in the starting five this year? I wanted to reopen the discussion now that we have a final roster.
That could depend on how fast Ant meshes with the team, since he hasn't practiced with them yet.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago https://www.yurview.com/regions/new-eng ... -for-sure/

As odd as this might sound - The fact that DiSano is doing a prominent interview with him now makes me lean more toward "yes," and if he's not starting, maybe first or second guy off the bench. It's the off-season, so everyone is claiming to be in the best shape of their career and learning so much from the previous season, but I have to think Ish is fairly confident in his spot if he's even agreeing to do an interview.

Harris is still radio silent on social media and he's unmentioned in that interview, which makes me think he's not practicing yet. So, the serious challengers for playing time at 1, 2 and 3 to me, in the rough order I'd have them, would be Freeman, Martin, Weston, Carey and Leggett (about equal), big gap, Hutchinson and Thomas. I'd also assume that some of the bigger / stouter wings (Carey, Harris, Weston) could see time at the 4 in small ball lineups. (Weston in particularly looks to be a pretty stout 200.) It also wouldn't surprise me if our backup PG is not Thomas, and instead, Archie chooses to play two SGs that pass well, and the guy with the less aggressive defender starts the offense.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

This is an extremely difficult discussion and prediction based on so many unknowns and new faces.
One thing for sure, I think our starting 5 will change as the season goes along.

Also players dealing with previous and current injury issues and a large part of our roster having very limited div. 1 playing time.

Anthony Harris in his 3 years at UNC only played in 35 games, averaging 11 minutes.
Still hasn't practiced 1 minute with his new team.
Also surprised that after all his time at UNC, he still has academic issues that needed to be cleared up.

A total guess, but I wouldn't be shocked to initially see: Bray, Ish, Carey, Martin, Foumena/Bilau.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I enjoyed that interview. Thanks, Stevey. We are fortunate to have Chris covering the team.

Put me in the starting column. I am leaning towards him starting to begin the year.

That’s my vote today. Can we count this as the primary and can we vote again before the season starts?

A few things stood out for me from the interview: Shooting drills were fast; They will play fast but under control.

Both good things, I believe.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I don’t know who will start but my sense is this will be a fun team to watch this year.
Slava Ukraini!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I second that. I think we will have a team fun to watch, too.

Maybe frustrating at times, too. But, I will enjoy the ride anyway.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm looking forward to Arch Miller. He can coach. These kids are going to grow up fast here.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Man, I am getting psyched. Can’t wait to get this season going.

I better go easy. It’s only August. Oooph
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think there can be multiple lineups. "Going big" and "going small/fast". Lots of flexibiltiy with this roster.
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I think there can be multiple lineups. "Going big" and "going small/fast". Lots of flexibiltiy with this roster.
I'll be curious to see if we have a true "rotation" or if we have starters and bench guys.

Like Dan, Archie likes to play fast. There's a lot of guys where you're not sure how much separation there is between them. I could see this working like a hockey team and just near straight line changes.

Bray/Carey/Weston/Tchikou/Bilau, Ish/Harris/Martin/Stewart/Foumena. If you're trying to balance your units out.

Bray/Harris/Weston/Martin/Tchikou or Bilau if you're going for a true starting rotation.

Honestly, you could make a case for just about anyone to play deep minutes most positions 2-5. I think Bray is the only solid PG.

PG - Bray/Harris/Ish/Bassy

SG - Harris/Weston/Carey/Ish/Hutch

3 - Weston/Martin/Carey/Hutch/Stewart

4 - Martin/Stewart/Hutch/Bilau/Tchikou/Samb/

5 - Tchikou/Foumena/Bilau/Samb

And you could mix and match a lot more into those lineups. Lot of length up and down the roster. Lot of shooting up and down the roster. Going to be fun to watch no matter who's out there when the ball is tipped. I think we'll be running a rotation of 10-12 to be honest. Archie likes to play fast, and I don't think there's too much separation between the guys not named Bray, Harris, or Weston.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I think there can be multiple lineups. "Going big" and "going small/fast". Lots of flexibiltiy with this roster.
I'll be curious to see if we have a true "rotation" or if we have starters and bench guys.

Like Dan, Archie likes to play fast. There's a lot of guys where you're not sure how much separation there is between them. I could see this working like a hockey team and just near straight line changes.

Bray/Carey/Weston/Tchikou/Bilau, Ish/Harris/Martin/Stewart/Foumena. If you're trying to balance your units out.

Bray/Harris/Weston/Martin/Tchikou or Bilau if you're going for a true starting rotation.

Honestly, you could make a case for just about anyone to play deep minutes most positions 2-5. I think Bray is the only solid PG.

And you could mix and match a lot more into those lineups. Lot of length up and down the roster. Lot of shooting up and down the roster. Going to be fun to watch no matter who's out there when the ball is tipped. I think we'll be running a rotation of 10-12 to be honest. Archie likes to play fast, and I don't think there's too much separation between the guys not named Bray, Harris, or Weston.
Based on the comments from Archie I think Carey may be a reliable top 3 guy this year. Lots of guard depth, regardless.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Section104 wrote: 1 year ago

Based on the comments from Archie I think Carey may be a reliable top 3 guy this year. Lots of guard depth, regardless.
Yeah its not possible to project how he'll end up using all of our guards.

All we really know is Bray is going to start.

I think if Harris and Weston start immediately over Carey and Ish it bodes well for us. That'll mean they are actualizing their talent right away.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think Bray is the only locked in starter. He's an all conference caliber PG on a team that really needed that last year. I would lock him in.
I think the other 4 spots are up for grabs- but would guess Malik as a veteran and program guy is close to being a lock starter as well. Probably at the 4 IMO with Archie opting to go with 3 true ball handlers in the back court. I think the 2,3 and 5 are completely up for grabs with Carey and Ish maybe walking into the 1st practice with the opportunity to win the job but certainly not a fait accompli.

I think the Harris situation is sketchy and it's odd he hasn't set foot on campus yet. Something gotta be up there. Could that be why we are loading up on guards for 23?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago I think Bray is the only locked in starter. He's an all conference caliber PG on a team that really needed that last year. I would lock him in.
I think the other 4 spots are up for grabs- but would guess Malik as a veteran and program guy is close to being a lock starter as well. Probably at the 4 IMO with Archie opting to go with 3 true ball handlers in the back court. I think the 2,3 and 5 are completely up for grabs with Carey and Ish maybe walking into the 1st practice with the opportunity to win the job but certainly not a fait accompli.

I think the Harris situation is sketchy and it's odd he hasn't set foot on campus yet. Something gotta be up there. Could that be why we are loading up on guards for 23?
Yup that’s been my worry. I wonder if Ant isn’t coming which would really suck.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Many good points from everyone above. Like others have stated, I think Archie will be very interchangeable with lineups - at least early in the season. But, it could continue on throughout the season because of our high intensity, fast pace of play.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago I think Bray is the only locked in starter. He's an all conference caliber PG on a team that really needed that last year. I would lock him in.

We'll find out in about 10 days.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Hes on the Roster, its been made offical. I don't see how he's not on the team.
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Hes on the Roster, its been made offical. I don't see how he's not on the team.
And it was reported that he was working out and working to get those grades in order and he wouldn't join the team until after the summer - but people just like to be scared of things because URI.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Hes on the Roster, its been made offical. I don't see how he's not on the team.
And it was reported that he was working out and working to get those grades in order and he wouldn't join the team until after the summer - but people just like to be scared of things because URI.
I’ve heard nothing about him not coming, only from about 3-4 worried posters here. No reason to believe he is not. Trust this staff
Until they give you reason(s) to not trust them. Can’t wait til November 7th! I’m still going with Ant in my starting 5 :D :D
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm not worried.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I hope you guys are right. Since Rhody has let me down most of my life, I assume the worst. In my head, I worry that he hasn't been on campus once. He's had issues with grades for a couple of years. We are currently 2 ships over, which means we are losing at least 2 players. Until I see him on campus, I will be a little worried.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But there is a new Head Coach in town. SHouldn't that allow you to forget about how Rhody had let you down most of your life? At least for Year 1? or at least until the 1st game is played?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 year ago But there is a new Head Coach in town. SHouldn't that allow you to forget about how Rhody had let you down most of your life? At least for Year 1? or at least until the 1st game is played?
Harris having issues with grades has nothing to do with how I feel about Archie Miller. I'm worried that the grades are preventing him from playing.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree with those who say Bray is a lock to start and think Malik will also start not certain of the other 3

I’m not to concerned about Ant I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t show up to campus
PowderBlueButBetter
Abdul Fox

Unread post by PowderBlueButBetter »

Start the year with
Bray
Carey
Ish
Malik
Bilua

eventually to be taken over by
Bray
Carey
Harris/Weston
Tchikou
Foumena
6th- whoever doesn't start between Weston/Harris
Malik, Ish, Bilua in rotation
Hutch and Rory probably get good chances during conference play but would imagine minutes are tougher to come by as the season progresses

Really excited about our freshman class, hope to see them a lot if they can earn the playing time
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Jalen was 15 and Bassy was 0.
Gonna be tough decision which number to retire for those guys and to hang in the rafters 20 years from now?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

People need to relax, he's coming 100%
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Hope we have game programs with individual pictures of all players, maybe even for the B/W scrimmage.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago But there is a new Head Coach in town. SHouldn't that allow you to forget about how Rhody had let you down most of your life? At least for Year 1? or at least until the 1st game is played?
Harris having issues with grades has nothing to do with how I feel about Archie Miller. I'm worried that the grades are preventing him from playing.
I will always be shocked with athletes having grades that prevent them from playing.

You have mandatory study halls, tutors, academic advisors, etc.

It should be almost impossible to have shitty grades as an athlete.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

Would take him over Patrick Baldwin :lol: :lol: :lol:
My bet still stands. I bet you a beer that Baldwin gets drafted
Fair enough, but if they require masks at the Ry and I can't buy you a beer at the pub....you have to bring a case to my house? ;)
Dude...you were right...I owe you a beer. Cheers. I'll leave it at will call.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Fair enough, but if they require masks at the Ry and I can't buy you a beer at the pub....you have to bring a case to my house? ;)
Dude...you were right...I owe you a beer. Cheers. I'll leave it at will call. (Provided ...you know... ;) )
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Haha, Thanks! I hope everything is going well and you're back, NYG! We have all been wondering where you've been.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Haha, Thanks! I hope everything is going well and you're back, NYG! We have all been wondering where you've been.
Wherever he's been he hasn't been wearing a mask ❤
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Welcome back NYG
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If someone voices an opinion on something that isn’t rosy are they going to be called “scared Rhody fans” lol. Is that the new norm?

Every player on our roster (along with every other roster in America) attended summer sessions. If someone didn’t then obv there is an issue. Will it be dealt with and not prevent Ant from attending…sure it could. But to ignore it as a concern means you don’t know how this stuff works.

Remember when Sheppard wasn’t working out but was on the roster…and then eventually was ruled ineligible. They are called red flags for a reason.

And since we now need a disclaimer to have an observation here this in no way comes from a sky is falling/we’re doomed disposition. Archie will win here it’s not an IF it’s just a WHEN. Just like with Dan.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don’t think you get called anything. You just “get punched in the face” as the title of the thread said :lol: :lol:
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago If someone voices an opinion on something that isn’t rosy are they going to be called “scared Rhody fans” lol. Is that the new norm?
You’re also an ingrate who doesn’t trust Archie, don’t forget that part.

I think it’s more than appropriate to question what exactly Harris has been doing. He hasn’t played in a real game since early January when he left the team and wasn’t in a position academically to be on campus for either summer session. I still expect him to be in Kingston until someone tells me he’s not, but it’s unfortunate for him and the team that he hasn’t been a part of it yet.

As for the starting line-up, I will be encouraged if more than one big shows enough to make them start two. Until then, I think they go small-ish with four guards.