Week #2 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Re: Week #2 - Games of Interest

Unread post by JimSidd »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Lots of fans and students are at Charleston. Quite a lot of noise being provided.
Bonnies fans travel well. I remember they had quite a contingent in DC for the 2018 A10 tournament. Olean is a long way from DC and from Charleston. Then again, those fans are probably looking for any reason to get out of that area for a few days.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago Clem Bona second half was awesome to watch.

Also hilarious, bonnies bench scored 0. If Osunniyi fouls out they are fucked
That's why we match up so well with them! We can throw two more athletic Osunniyi's at 'em.

Makhel and Walker basically took him out last year.
It is great that URI is 3-0, but they are not close to a top 25 team. BC is the worst team in the ACC and we scored only a couple of fgs in the second half. There is a reason people had them in the top 25 and URI outside of the top 100. Hopefully URI keeps improving, but let’s take it easy with the hype
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago

That's why we match up so well with them! We can throw two more athletic Osunniyi's at 'em.

It is great that URI is 3-0, but they are not close to a top 25 team. BC is the worst team in the ACC and we scored only a couple of fgs in the second half. There is a reason people had them in the top 25 and URI outside of the top 100. Hopefully URI keeps improving, but let’s take it easy with the hype
I don’t think we’re better than them by any means but the foul issue is going to be a serious concern for them. They have a great starting 5 and hardly any depth. One guy fouls out, trouble. Two guys? Start the busses
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'm not hyping I'm stating a fact.

We match up well with them. We quite literally beat that exact St Bonaventure team last year while turning the ball over 20 times.

How did we do it?

We match up extremely well against them because our guards play really good man to man defense and our bigs can neutralize Osun. Get him in foul trouble and out athlete him. And we he goes out they are very vulnerable inside. We did that last year and we match up even better this year if we have both twins and Twan.

Not saying we are a top 25 team. We just match up well against them.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

I don’t think we’re better than them by any means but the foul issue is going to be a serious concern for them. They have a great starting 5 and hardly any depth. One guy fouls out, trouble. Two guys? Start the busses
Yes and the way we play defense can wear them down
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago …and how do you know we didn’t? Because the Twitter didn’t say so? Or is it because you all just live to have things to bitch, cry and moan about? Move the fuck on.
Dude, and I say this for 90% of this board: fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you.

It’s a small state. It’s amazing that those of us who live here year round could possible actually know certain other people who live here year round.

Doesn’t always have to be reading the tea leaves.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

From his posted highlights on Twitter, I don't really think he looks like an A-10 talent - more of a low D1 player, if that. Also, while he might be getting interest, I can't find any offers, and he doesn't have pages on Verbal Commits or the usual spots. (Then again, I'm always annoyed when URI gets crapped on for not recruiting a Rhode Island kid, as if it is every school's divine right and/or responsibility to sign all local talent.)
I mean the kid wanted to come here and we didn't want to look at him. We literally said we were all set and he wasn't worth a look. I think it's OK to be critical of the staff for not even bothering to kick the tires on a shooting guard when shooting is historically one of our biggest issues.

Whether you think he looked like an A-10 talent or not he was literally the conference rookie of the year who shot 36% from 3 on a bad team.
I'm talking about Hamlin, not Kolek. I don't really know the background on Kolek. Looking at his Verbal Commits page, his best offers out of HS look to be Mason, Bonaventure and Richmond, so it wasn't like he was some hot shot prospect that everyone was after. It wouldn't surprise me if URI overlooked him, but I'd also note that he probably had his pick of schools after winning A-10 ROTY, and he transferred even further away from Rhode Island (the state). I'm not entirely sure that location had much of a bearing on where he decided to go, but whenever you directly ask a player a question like that, they're not going to answer, "No, I mostly care about playing time and the best situation for me."
Ohhhhh ok understood. Saw the kolek article.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice 2h Bonnies I only watched 1h and thought Bonnies would lose , well done against a solid Clemson team who may dance
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago …and how do you know we didn’t? Because the Twitter didn’t say so? Or is it because you all just live to have things to bitch, cry and moan about? Move the fuck on.
Another complete overreaction from you. What else is new.. Ya, that's where Blueman gets his intel "The twitter" :lol:
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

St. Bonaventure has a great starting five, all seasoned seniors who have poise in crunch time. Their strength is also the source of any weakness. An iron horse team can tire as the games lengthen and the season progresses. Lack of depth can be used against them. But they are good!
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago St. Bonaventure has a great starting five, all seasoned seniors who have poise in crunch time. Their strength is also the source of any weakness. An iron horse team can tire as the games lengthen and the season progresses. Lack of depth can be used against them. But they are good!
They are pretty fun to watch too. But they have a clear weakness is all I’m saying
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Iona over Liberty. Pitino may be slime, but he can coach.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Omar Silverio playing for Hofstra against Fatts on FS1. Mekhi Long playing for ODU on ESPNU
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Fatts makes a steal to seal the game. Silverio playing about 18 minutes a game. Shooting less than 30%. Mekhi averaging 30 minutes a game, 5.8 points, 6.3 reps.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago Fatts makes a steal to seal the game. Silverio playing about 18 minutes a game. Shooting less than 30%. Mekhi averaging 30 minutes a game, 5.8 points, 6.3 reps.
I don’t think the steal had any impact on the result. He stole a horizontal in bounds pass about 75 feet from the basket. Hofstra would have had a long heave at best. The critical play was Silverio getting his three pointer blocked in a tie game and then committing a frustration foul with 4.1 seconds remaining.
That said, Maryland has some sorting out to do. Wahab not even playing at crunch time. I don’t know if Fatts was the lead guard for most of the game, but he was off the ball the last three minutes, basically standing on a wing or corner and watching plays develop without him.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

:mrgreen:
JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago Fatts makes a steal to seal the game. Silverio playing about 18 minutes a game. Shooting less than 30%. Mekhi averaging 30 minutes a game, 5.8 points, 6.3 reps.
I don’t think the steal had any impact on the result. He stole a horizontal in bounds pass about 75 feet from the basket. Hofstra would have had a long heave at best. The critical play was Silverio getting his three pointer blocked in a tie game and then committing a frustration foul with 4.1 seconds remaining.
That said, Maryland has some sorting out to do. Wahab not even playing at crunch time. I don’t know if Fatts was the lead guard for most of the game, but he was off the ball the last three minutes, basically standing on a wing or corner and watching plays develop without him.
I agree. Wasn’t the pivotal play but iced the game. Interesting to see Silverio.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Kolek having a good game against WV tonight.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

George Mason loses to James Madison as JMU goes to 4-0
Game went down to the last 20 seconds

Only URI and St Bonaventure are now unbeaten A10 Teams
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bad night for the A10 except for the Bonnies there’s some bad losses today
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 years ago Bad night for the A10 except for the Bonnies there’s some bad losses today
Worst start of the season from the A-10 that I can remember

Barely a week in and only Rhody and the Bonnies are undefeated.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'm not hyping I'm stating a fact.

We match up well with them. We quite literally beat that exact St Bonaventure team last year while turning the ball over 20 times.

How did we do it?

We match up extremely well against them because our guards play really good man to man defense and our bigs can neutralize Osun. Get him in foul trouble and out athlete him. And we he goes out they are very vulnerable inside. We did that last year and we match up even better this year if we have both twins and Twan.

Not saying we are a top 25 team. We just match up well against them.
The answer to how we got that win vs St Bonaventure last Dec 30 is interesting.
  • Only our 2nd game without Makhi Mitchell following his injury vs Western Kentucky
  • Russell played the most minutes but only went 2-9 FG, 1-5 3P with 6 Turnovers, 0 rebounds, 2 steals and 9 points
  • Walker started, 27 minutes, 5-10 FG, 10 rebounds, 11 points double -double
  • Sheppard also played 27 minutes, efficient 5-7 FG, 2-4 3P, 5-6 FT, 1 rebound, 3 TOs, 2 assists, 3 steals and a game high 27 points
  • Harris also played 27 minutes off the bench. 3-3 FG, 2-2 FT, 10 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 TOs, 1 block, 1 steal for 8 points just missing a double - double
  • Makhel Mitchell started, played only 14 minutes, 4 fouls, 3-6 FG, 0-5 FTs, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 TOs, 1 block, 2 steals, 6 points
  • Osunniyi played 27 minutes, 4-12 FG, 4 rebounds, 4 blocks, 4 steals and fouled out.
  • Walker and Harris 10 rebounds each were game highs as URI outrebounded Bonnie’s 42-29
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Don't be fooled, Mark Schmidt typically gives his starters heavy minutes, especially this stellar group.
Actually they have a much more talented bench than last year with their transfers and jucos.
Also, they have a nice freshman class that isn't too shabby.

I would be more concerned about our foul situation.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Don't be fooled, Mark Schmidt typically gives his starters heavy minutes, especially this stellar group.
Actually they have a much more talented bench than last year with their transfers and jucos.
Also, they have a nice freshman class that isn't too shabby.

I would be more concerned about our foul situation.
Schmidt plays a short bench and it gets even shorter come A10 Tournament time. Started play mid to upper 30 minutes.
Coulibaly and Brown are new additions this year and his 1st big and 1st guard off the bench. Coulibaly transferred after 2 years at Pitt. Brown was a highly recruited Juco.

Schmidt knows the importance of these OOC games.He is managing his team as if it’s Tournament time. Smart guy.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The highlight of Saturday action in the A-10 is the URI -Tulsa battle in the opening of the Sunshine Slam in Daytona Beach, FL. 7:30 PM.

Other A-10 action:

Monmouth at Saint Joseph's, 12 Noon. On ESPN+.

Richmond at Drake, 1 PM. On ESPN+.

Austin Peay at Dayton, 2 PM. On ESPN+.

Chattanooga at VCU, 4 PM. On ESPN+.

Army at La Salle, 4 PM. On ESPN+.

Mercer at Saint Louis, 5 PM. On ESPN+.

Duquesne vs. Colorado, 5:45 PM. Paradise Jam.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Bethune-Cookman vs. Bryant, 12 Noon. Sunshine Slam game in Daytona Beach, FL.

MIT at Harvard, 2 PM. On ESPN+.

Bradley vs. Brown, 3:15 PM. Paradise Jam.

Georgia State vs. William & Mary 5 PM. Legends Classic at High Point.

Boston College vs. Utah, 5 PM. Sunshine Slam.

Fairfield at Sacred Heart, 8 PM.

NJIT at Wagner game postponed due to Covid scare in the Wagner program.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

"scare"?
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Wait so if BC wins and URI wins (or vice versa) they play again?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Looking ahead to Sunday:

A10 - St Bonaventure (4-0) vs BE - Marquette (5-0)
7:30 pm Sunday Night ESPN

Marquette outscored West Virginia 47-24 in the 2nd half to move to the Championship Game

Tyler Kolek:
39 minutes
game high 18 points
7-12 FG
4-8 3P
6 rebounds
8 assists
6 turnovers
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Lot of empty seats at the XL Center today. Wonder if Hurley says something about attendance for a top 25 team.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Lot of empty seats at the XL Center today. Wonder if Hurley says something about attendance for a top 25 team.
The teams that UConn has played so far, make our first 3 opponents look like Duke.

If he wants asses in the seats, start by playing real teams!

Even the UConn women are seeing worse attendance recently for some of their 60 point blowouts.

I wouldn't pay to see glorified scrimmages.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes cupcake city so far for DH and Uconn they play Auburn in a tournament next week
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

That Bonnies-Marquette games should be a good one. Schmidt is one helluva coach to get solid players to come to a snow town in the middle of fucking nowhere.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s gonna be a good one Marquette playing great so far early on
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Richmond in a war late trail by 65-62

Richmond led most of way
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Richmond loses at Drake 73-70

Tyler Burton had 30
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago Richmond loses at Drake 73-70

Tyler Burton had 30
Tough loss for Richmond against a well coached Drake team.
Nathan Cayo struggling so far this year averaging 4pts.

Darian Devries will probably be a P6 coach in the not too distant future.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bryant loses 81-75 to previously winless Bethune-Cookman

Bryant was favored by 18.5 points at the Sunshine Slam in Daytona

So it ain’t so Coach Grasso!!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Lot of empty seats at the XL Center today. Wonder if Hurley says something about attendance for a top 25 team.
Attendance was 9,335. The money counts the same whether butts are in seats or not. The only thing Hurley said regarding fans was that it was an “Incredibly painful game to watch if you’re a UConn fan. Just a really flat, really poor performance at both ends of the court.” They won by 24.

They’re going to have to put the billboards back up in Richmond.

Shaka looks like Shaka again, and his team is highly entertaining to watch. They’re kind of on the edge of chaos offensively, but it’s working so far. Great hire for the Big East, and Marquette is such a better fit for him than Texas.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago
Attendance was 9,335. The money counts the same whether butts are in seats or not. The only thing Hurley said regarding fans was that it was an “Incredibly painful game to watch if you’re a UConn fan. Just a really flat, really poor performance at both ends of the court.” They won by 24.

Shaka looks like Shaka again, and his team is highly entertaining to watch. They’re kind of on the edge of chaos offensively, but it’s working so far. Great hire for the Big East, and Marquette is such a better fit for him than Texas.
According to many on the Richmond fan board Mooney's seat should be burning hot.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I watched that Uconn game also

Keep an eye out for a kid by the name of Jordan Hawkins
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

reef wrote: 2 years ago

He’ll be starting by conference play. He’s the shooter they desperately need.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Bryant loses 81-75 to previously winless Bethune-Cookman

Good call Ramster , looks like a long year for Coach Grasso if you lose to a team like Cookman
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He’ll be starting by conference play. He’s the shooter they desperately need.
DH said on the post game interview he’s a future 1st rounder
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Bryant loses 81-75 to previously winless Bethune-Cookman

Good call Ramster , looks like a long year for Coach Grasso if you lose to a team like Cookman
I stole your famous line Reef
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

As expected Creighton crushes Brown 78-57.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

I loved that Ramster,

Dayton in trouble v Austin Peay they were -14 today and gonna lose outright
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I loved that Ramster,

UDPride already has a fire Grant thread.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

I loved that Ramster,

UDPride already has a fire Grant thread.
ELIJAH HUTCHINS-EVERETT, 6’11” 265 pound freshman had 14 rebounds and 25 points in the upset of Dayton
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Dayton with home losses to UMass Lowell, Lipscomb and Austin Peay, absolutely brutal. The Toppin year continues to look more and more like an outlier.

Allow me to be the first to float this idea:

Dayton is going to fire Anthony Grant this offseason and bring back Archie….
Last edited by STC 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.