A10 Outlook for 21-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: A10 Outlook for 21-22

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Could have major impact on VCU this season.

https://vcuathletics.com/news/2021/6/3/ ... njury.aspx
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
4Diffs wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago In the latest NBADraft.net Bones Hyland is 3rd player in the 2nd round.

yes, I see Hyland as an NBA Player.

His Freshman Year he was 43% 3FG, 67% FT
Sophomore year he was 37% 3FG and a much improved 86% FT plus a solid 4.7 rebounds per game

3 Point Shooting accuracy is a big desirable in the NBA - Hyland has shown a good 3FG accuracy and the potential to improve
  • Hyland is the only A10 Player among the 60 players in the 2021 NBADraft.net Draft of 2 rounds
  • 4 of the 60 players are from the G-League
  • 9 of the 60 players are from Foreign Countries

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/
So NBA draft net has him as the 3rd pick in the Second round. I personally think that is high, I can see mid to late Second but I am no expert for sure.

But many second round picks end up not playing in the NBA, and most college players are not leaving early to be a second round pick. Maybe he goes overseas and plays.

I wish the guy luck and maybe he does sneak into the first round but I do not see it. They value 3 and D guys, that is not Bones game. He is not a spot up shooter, he has the ball in his hands and creates his 3's, and his lack of physical strength will prevent him from being a good defensive player.
In the latest NBADRAFT.net Hyland is now #22 in the 1st round.

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-draft ... -mock=2021
Latest nbadraft.net has Hyland going 19th in 1st round to my knicks

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

It will take some great coaching for them to finish in the upper half of the A10.
Lot of unknowns with all the transfers and youth, and losing their top 6 scorers from last season.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
It will take some great coaching for them to finish in the upper half of the A10.
Lot of unknowns with all the transfers and youth, and losing their top 6 scorers from last season.
Dambrot says it’s the best team he has had at Duquesne. He purposely revamped the roster. Interesting article.

Some excerpts....

“I decided we needed to reboot, reorganize, regroup,” he said. “I have a saying: ‘You can’t lower your standards. You have to raise your standards.’ We decided to raise our standards, and because of that, some people decided to leave.”

The result is an almost complete makeover of the Duquesne team that started the 2020-2021 season. Only six players remain, and seven of the top eight scorers are gone.

Some he was not shy about showing the door to the NCAA transfer portal.

“They didn’t want to do the things that we asked, or we didn’t think they could do the things we asked,” he said.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dambrot says it’s the best team he has had at Duquesne. He purposely revamped the roster. Interesting article.

Some excerpts....

“I decided we needed to reboot, reorganize, regroup,” he said. “I have a saying: ‘You can’t lower your standards. You have to raise your standards.’ We decided to raise our standards, and because of that, some people decided to leave.”

The result is an almost complete makeover of the Duquesne team that started the 2020-2021 season. Only six players remain, and seven of the top eight scorers are gone.

“They didn’t want to do the things that we asked, or we didn’t think they could do the things we asked,” he said.
Yeah, I did read (it was interesting), "sounds like coach's talk".
He is optimistic, but with their roster makeover and the strength of the A10 this year, it could be a tough uphill battle for them.
They do manage to give us problems though.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago “I decided we needed to reboot, reorganize, regroup,” he said. “I have a saying: ‘You can’t lower your standards. You have to raise your standards.’ We decided to raise our standards, and because of that, some people decided to leave.”
“I’m upping my standards, so up yours.” — Pat Paulsen
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Duquesne's top three players in minutes and scoring from 2021-22 graduated and either transferred or pursued pro ball, and they finished .500 last year. That's quite a bit of production to replace at once. The incoming transfers might be highly required, but if only there was some example of an Atlantic 10 team that had a bunch of highly rated transfers coming in, only to have some of them work out, some of them disappoint, and some of them be perfectly average...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Some excerpts....

He is optimistic, but with their roster makeover and the strength of the A10 this year, it could be a tough uphill battle for them.
imho Keith Dambrot is a heck of a coach. While he has improved his team at Duquesne, he was not satisfied after last year and he had discussions with his players on an individual basis, just as most HC's do and for sure Dan Hurley had them at the end of every season. Dambrot was upfront and honest with them. A number of players left Duquesne and Dambrot has brought in a number of new transfers. I would not bet against Keith Dambrot - if anyone can turn Duquesne around it is Dambrot. Maybe he doesn't but this year should be interesting.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Some excerpts....

imho Keith Dambrot is a heck of a coach. While he has improved his team at Duquesne, he was not satisfied after last year and he had discussions with his players on an individual basis, just as most HC's do and for sure Dan Hurley had them at the end of every season. Dambrot was upfront and honest with them. A number of players left Duquesne and Dambrot has brought in a number of new transfers. I would not bet against Keith Dambrot - if anyone can turn Duquesne around it is Dambrot. Maybe he doesn't but this year should be interesting.
Agreed, Dambrot is a good coach and was previously successful in the MAC.
His first 3 years with Duquesne, they improved every year. Last season was shortened with the pandemic.
Will be interesting to see how this team performs with a new roster.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yeah saw that, would of been nice for GW if he returned for the additional year.
Was a 10 pt/10 reb player last season, will probably end up overseas or in the G league.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Some excerpts....

Sorry, I think this is nothing more than political spin going on here. I thought Chad Baker was a big loss for them, he showed a lot of promise and transferred to San Diego State. He sounds a little spiteful about Dunn-Martin bailing on him as well. I don't know coach, you ran off ten of his teammates, maybe that is the reason he left. I know if 10 colleagues of mine were let go, it would impact my decision if I wanted to stay with that Company or not.

He is a good coach, but I see them in the same spot as last year. And I think he is just putting a positive spin on massive roster turnover over the last two or three years. We shall see how it plays out, but very unlikely they are better than last year.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

So NBA draft net has him as the 3rd pick in the Second round. I personally think that is high, I can see mid to late Second but I am no expert for sure.

But many second round picks end up not playing in the NBA, and most college players are not leaving early to be a second round pick. Maybe he goes overseas and plays.

I wish the guy luck and maybe he does sneak into the first round but I do not see it. They value 3 and D guys, that is not Bones game. He is not a spot up shooter, he has the ball in his hands and creates his 3's, and his lack of physical strength will prevent him from being a good defensive player.

Wow that is a nice rise up draft boards. Good for him if that is the case. But if he goes to the Knicks, he will be tough to root for. But it would be nice for the A10 to have a pro. It has been a while.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Not for nothing but it's been a year since an A10 player was picked in the lottery. Not sure if you forgot about that Obi character.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Wow that is a nice rise up draft boards. Good for him if that is the case. But if he goes to the Knicks, he will be tough to root for. But it would be nice for the A10 to have a pro. It has been a while.
Obi Toppin was drafted in November.

Eric Paschall was drafted the year before.
Go Rhody
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

Obi Toppin was drafted in November.

Eric Paschall was drafted the year before.
Dang how did I forget about Toppin, oh yeah I know he never played and he played in New York. Kidding you are correct, I missed that one.

And Paschall I don't know, I consider him a Big East guy since he only played one year at Fordham and I think 3 at Villanova. But yes I guess we can say that as well.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

"Bonnies Continue To Add To Outstanding Recruiting Class With Signing of Anouar Mellouk"

http://redirect.viglink.com/?key=71fe21 ... 0617hfnc3a
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Maybe St. Joes should look to build an actual honest to goodness arena to like actually play their real games on first.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Best coaching jobs, facilities and programs in A10 MBB

Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Nice to be an also-ran in these articles again.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

luke wrote: 2 years ago Maybe St. Joes should look to build an actual honest to goodness arena to like actually play their real games on first.
Rhody may have a better arena for games but St Joe's will blow URI away when it comes to proposed basketball practice facilities. They are building an entirely new 27,000 sf structure and already have a single $20M gift committed to an overall project that will be in the $55M range. URI is still, several years in, trying to put together commitments for an $8M carve out of existing space. Per announcements three major gifts have contributed $5M leaving the entire project cost not yet fully committed.

$20M Lead Gift Launches Campaign For Reimagined SJU Athletics Complex
https://atlantic10.com/news/2021/6/29/a ... mplex.aspx
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
luke wrote: 2 years ago Maybe St. Joes should look to build an actual honest to goodness arena to like actually play their real games on first.
Rhody may have a better arena for games but St Joe's will blow URI away when it comes to proposed basketball practice facilities. They are building an entirely new 27,000 sf structure and already have a single $20M gift committed to an overall project that will be in the $55M range. URI is still, several years in, trying to put together commitments for an $8M carve out of existing space. Per announcements three major gifts have contributed $5M leaving the entire project cost not yet fully committed.

3 months ago URI had $7.2 million committed to the Practice Facility, only short $700,000.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

3 months ago URI had $7.2 million committed to the Practice Facility, only short $700,000.
3 years ago we were in the NCAAT and took Tres Young down.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

3 years ago we were in the NCAAT and took Tres Young down.
What’s that got to do with the practice facility? My point is that $7.2 million has been raised as of 3 months ago - not $5.0 million as was stated.
The practice facility is going to be built.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

So where is ST. Joes going to build this fabulous practice facility . They could not find suitable land too build a new arena , so they refurbished their
old fieldhouse . Where is the practice facility going to be ?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Way To Early Top 25 Rankings for Mid-Majors 21-22

https://bustingbrackets.com/2021/06/29/ ... 22-season/

2. Bonnies
7. Richmond
11. SLU
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

luke wrote: 2 years ago So where is ST. Joes going to build this fabulous practice facility . They could not find suitable land too build a new arena , so they refurbished their
old fieldhouse . Where is the practice facility going to be ?

They purchased the old Episcopal Academy prep school literally across the street several years ago giving them quite a bit more land. URI alumnus Terrence Mack had went there.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Way To Early Top 25 Rankings for Mid-Majors 21-22

2. Bonnies
7. Richmond
11. SLU
Zags are # 1 does that mean they are officially a mid major ??
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Way To Early Top 25 Rankings for Mid-Majors 21-22

2. Bonnies
7. Richmond
11. SLU
Zags are # 1 does that mean they are officially a mid major ??
Reef, you are stirring the pot on that one.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

nm
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Good news for St. Joe's

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Disappointing projection for us in the A10 21-22, but not totally unrealistic based upon last season's finish.
I tend to be a little more optimistic and feel we will be more competitive that most think.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go ... preview%2F
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The so called experts see the same things we do, 77.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Disappointing projection for us in the A10 21-22, but not totally unrealistic based upon last season's finish.
I tend to be a little more optimistic and feel we will be more competitive that most think.

Spot on with the weaknesses. It's not only Rhody fans who notice.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Disappointing projection for us in the A10 21-22, but not totally unrealistic based upon last season's finish.

Spot on with the weaknesses. It's not only Rhody fans who notice.
I do think the assessment on us was fair, but I hope we finish higher than 8.

I can understand the Bonnies, Richmond, Dayton, SLU, and VCU in the top 5.

But not sure about George Mason ranked ahead of us. They lost 7 transfers and their top 3 scorers including the Freshman A10 POY.
They did add some nice players in the portal plus 4 freshman.

Although Davidson has a very solid frontcourt, they have question marks at guard and I feel we have overall more balance and talent.
They always seem to give us problems though.

Our biggest question mark is coaching, which they alluded to, and we are all aware of. I hope they will step up their game and the addition of Bozeman should be a boost.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I can see anywhere from 4-8 if we do worse than that changes need to be made
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

This article really glosses over the fact that we have the best front court in the A10. I think 3-6 is a realistic range for us to finish, but that being said who in this league stops walker, Mitchell and Mitchell?

URI will go as far as their guards can take them
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

This article really glosses over the fact that we have the best front court in the A10. I think 3-6 is a realistic range for us to finish, but that being said who in this league stops walker, Mitchell and Mitchell?

KL, I like our roster including the potential of our bigs, but to say we have the best front court in the league and nobody in the A10 can stop them is a huge reach. You can't dismiss the rest of the A10.

Richmond - Cayo, Burton, and Golden all averaged over 12 pts/game

VCU- Watkins, Williams, Ward, Levi, and PC transfer Nichols, lots of returning depth and talent.

Dayton - Camara (maybe the biggest impact transfer in the A10), Nwokeji, Amzil, Holmes, combination of youth, talent , and size.

Bonnies - Osun is the most dominating post presence in the conference, plus they added talented Pitt transfer Coulibaly, and several others.

This doesn't even include SLU with Oregon transfer Okoro, plus Bell and Linssen.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Love the optimism.
What did you predict last seasons team to finish?
Do you think last season 10th place finish was unique?
Same starting line up returns with the exception of Fatts. TBD who takes the 5th spot - El-Amin? Martin? Betrand? Carey? Who do you think starts in your 3rd to 6th prediction?
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Love the optimism.
What did you predict last seasons team to finish?
Do you think last season 10th place finish was unique?
Same starting line up returns with the exception of Fatts. TBD who takes the 5th spot - El-Amin? Martin? Betrand? Carey? Who do you think starts in your 3rd to 6th prediction?
Can’t recall on my prediction for last season, I actually think it was probably the same range, 3rd-6th.

I’d imagine it’s Leggett-Shep-Martin—Walker-Mitchell to start. We’ll see how long that lasts. El-Amin will have to shoot his way into the lineup, which is very possible. I think Martin is a good player to have on your team but doesn’t bring anything to that lineup, no spacing.

Hopefully we run a more condensed rotation this year. You start those 5 and have El Amin, Carey/Berry, and Mitchell x2 off the bench. My assumption is Betrand won’t be healthy until January at best
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

KL, I like our roster including the potential of our bigs, but to say we have the best front court in the league and nobody in the A10 can stop them is a huge reach. You can't dismiss the rest of the A10.

VCU- Watkins, Williams, Ward, Levi, and PC transfer Nichols, lots of returning depth and talent.

Dayton - Camara (maybe the biggest impact transfer in the A10), Nwokeji, Amzil, Holmes, combination of youth, talent , and size.

Bonnies - Osun is the most dominating post presence in the conference, plus they added talented Pitt transfer Coulibaly, and several others.

This doesn't even include SLU with Oregon transfer Okoro, plus Bell and Linssen.
Yes my post was a bit optimistic, that being said I truly believe we have a worthy pitch of the best front court in the A10, regardless of all the names mentioned

1) are we so quick to forget who lead the A10 in FG%? Some guy named Antwan Walker I heard, not too shabby. To take that one step further, Makhel checked in at #8 on that same list. Who finished #9? Tre Mitchell

2) oh and while we’re at looking at some stats, that guy Makhel Mitchell manage to finish 4th in blocks in the conference too

3) really the biggest differentiator for me here is depth. I’m not going to sit here and try to argue any of these guys are better than Osun. But we have 3 legit bigs that would start on any team in this conference. And one of them we were robbed of seeing their impact last year - debatably the better of the brothers too
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

"Cox often looked overmatched on the sidelines, and his OOB and ATO numbers per Synergy back up that eye test assessment."

DC I'm assuming you're going to call out this writer for saying one of our biggest weaknesses as a team is our coaching?? It looks like Umass and URI are the only teams that have coaching as a weakness in the entire article. Great company to be in! But ya, we are all idiot simple-minded fair-weather fans when we question Cox's ability as a head coach... At the bottom of the page, you can leave a reply. Make sure to include that Cox deserves another 3 years.

Anyways I think he's spot on. I think we can be a good team and jump up in the standings with the talent we have.
We will have a very, very strong frontcourt, and we have some nice pieces at other positions. If Cox improves and Bozeman helps, we could be dangerous in the A10 play. Go, Rhody!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Yes my post was a bit optimistic, that being said I truly believe we have a worthy pitch of the best front court in the A10, regardless of all the names mentioned

1) are we so quick to forget who lead the A10 in FG%? Some guy named Antwan Walker I heard, not too shabby. To take that one step further, Makhel checked in at #8 on that same list. Who finished #9? Tre Mitchell

2) oh and while we’re at looking at some stats, that guy Makhel Mitchell manage to finish 4th in blocks in the conference too

3) really the biggest differentiator for me here is depth. I’m not going to sit here and try to argue any of these guys are better than Osun. But we have 3 legit bigs that would start on any team in this conference. And one of them we were robbed of seeing their impact last year - debatably the better of the brothers too
I totally agree. Our frontcourt is very dangerous. Walker should only get better. The twins are high major bigs and will cause teams headaches. They also seem completely dedicated to improving weaker areas of their games. I bet Makhel comes in shooting free throws better next season. If we can somehow fix our shooting and opens things up for our bigs, they should dominate most teams in the A10.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

"Cox often looked overmatched on the sidelines, and his OOB and ATO numbers per Synergy back up that eye test assessment."

DC I'm assuming you're going to call out this writer for saying one of our biggest weaknesses as a team is our coaching?? It looks like Umass and URI are the only teams that have coaching as a weakness in the entire article. Great company to be in! But ya, we are all idiot simple-minded fair-weather fans when we question Cox's ability as a head coach... At the bottom of the page, you can leave a reply. Make sure to include that Cox deserves another 3 years.

Anyways I think he's spot on. I think we can be a good team and jump up in the standings with the talent we have.
We will have a very, very strong frontcourt, and we have some nice pieces at other positions. If Cox improves and Bozeman helps, we could be dangerous in the A10 play. Go, Rhody!
To be fair anyone can write an article and post it on the internet, doesn’t make it more valid/insightful than say any other post on this board. No idea who the kid is who wrote it

He sneakily edited his article too - which should be frowned upon. Kid thought Hassan French was still on SLU and Ibi Watson still at Dayton. Wouldn’t classify him as an expert
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

To be fair anyone can write an article and post it on the internet, doesn’t make it more valid/insightful than say any other post on this board. No idea who the kid is who wrote it

He sneakily edited his article too - which should be frowned upon. Kid thought Hassan French was still on SLU and Ibi Watson still at Dayton. Wouldn’t classify him as an expert
Why would anyone write an article not associated with URI and talk about the coaching issues at URI? Why?