2021 NCAA Tournament

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Re: 2021 NCAA Tournament

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

4Diffs wrote: 3 years ago Geez I remember when the A10 used to be good. This team, St. Bonnies, our regular season and post season champ looks terrible. Lofton has been horrible, worse hanging his head and not getting back on defense. yes 26 18 now I predict double digit win by LSU. Bonnies just cannot score.

Sorry I am the biggest A10 fan going, but 0-4 in the last two tourneys going on 0-6 (VCU has no chance against Oregon, the best team in a good Pac 12). OK maybe no chance is too strong, but I be very surprised.

Was not too long ago the top teams (I know Dayton last year) in the A10 could play with most teams in the Country. The A10 has a bunch of solid teams, about six of them or so, but no really top notch teams which is disappointing. 0-6 in the tourney speaks volumes.

I hope I eat these words, I doubt it.
Yeah our 17/18 team and last year's Dayton teams have been by far the best A-10 teams of late.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

4Diffs wrote: 3 years ago Geez I remember when the A10 used to be good. This team, St. Bonnies, our regular season and post season champ looks terrible. Lofton has been horrible, worse hanging his head and not getting back on defense. yes 26 18 now I predict double digit win by LSU. Bonnies just cannot score.

Sorry I am the biggest A10 fan going, but 0-4 in the last two tourneys going on 0-6 (VCU has no chance against Oregon, the best team in a good Pac 12). OK maybe no chance is too strong, but I be very surprised.

Was not too long ago the top teams (I know Dayton last year) in the A10 could play with most teams in the Country. The A10 has a bunch of solid teams, about six of them or so, but no really top notch teams which is disappointing. 0-6 in the tourney speaks volumes.

You won’t be eating your words. The conference is below average at best. I would be very surprised if VCU won later on. They are lucky they don’t have that great of an opponent.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

As good as Mark Schmidt is he doesn't get dudes who can compete night in and night out with P5 teams.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

RamStock wrote: 3 years ago

You won’t be eating your words. The conference is below average at best. I would be very surprised if VCU won later on. They are lucky they don’t have that great of an opponent.
I’m having the same feeling watching this St Bonnies game. LSU looks so much quicker, especially to the glass. The Upper Level A 10 teams need to step up recruiting or the conference will no longer fall in that 7-9 range.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago

I’m having the same feeling watching this St Bonnies game. LSU looks so much quicker, especially to the glass. The Upper Level A 10 teams need to step up recruiting or the conference will no longer fall in that 7-9 range.
It's just our good teams like Davidson and St bona that can't hang with the big boys.

Davidson got smoked by NC State.

It really sucked for the A-10 that Richmond and SLU fell off and didn't make it.

Ya know who SLU beat?

LSU and NC State.
Last edited by PeterRamTime 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago

Agree also the top of our league is just not good when compared to the rest of the country at least this year. Last year obviously the Dayton team was a top 5 team but that was an anomaly
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Ya know ima give the Bonnies a bit of a break on this one.

LSU bullies pretty much anyone they play down low. They do what they did today to just about everyone in the SEC.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Yeah our 17/18 team and last year's Dayton teams have been by far the best A-10 teams of late.
If I was a lifelong Dayton Fan instead of a lifelong Rhody Fan then last year's tournament being cancelled would be very hard to get over. They had a legit shot at a championship.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

I go back and forth with who would win, our 16/17 team or 17/18 team.
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

....Iona down 1 at 1/2.......what......?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ....Iona down 1 at 1/2.......what......?
Not a surprise to me!

Iona is used to being in the tournament, they have a hall of fame coach and they just match up well with bammer.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

12-seed UCSB beating 5-seed Creighton 58-52 with 5 minutes to go
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I love Rick Pitino
GO RAMS
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

No happy ending for Little Ricky today. He’ll have to wait until they return to the land of Dick Van Dyke.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Look at what you did to VCU!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago

Look at what you did to VCU!
What a shame. So sad for the team.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Awful. Feel terrible for the kids/coaching staff. They really battled this year and out performed their pre-season predictions. Multiple positives for VCU.

The ref that tested positive (Roger Ayers) was one of the officials for the A-10 finals. Wonder if we'll see some positives for St. Bonaventure.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That was one heck of a blocked shot by Tyrese Martin!! 10-9 Maryland leads.

UCONN out rebounding Maryland 13-5, amazingly 10 of UCONN's rebounds are offensive - Tyrese has 3 offensive rebounds already.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 3 years ago That was one heck of a blocked shot by Tyrese Martin!! 10-9 Maryland leads.

UCONN out rebounding Maryland 13-5, amazingly 10 of UCONN's rebounds are offensive - Tyrese has 3 offensive rebounds already.
Screw him, his slimy slithering snake of a coach and all the Leg-humpers. I hope Maryland wins by 50.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

>
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Tyrese getting stuffed on every layup attempt. Embarrassing performance for Dan and UConn so far. 22 points at half, lucky to only be down 11.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah Tyrese good on the glass bit misses easy putbacks

UConn goes into scoring droughts as usual

Looks like a 20 point blowout
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Yeah Tyrese good on the glass bit misses easy putbacks

UConn goes into scoring droughts as usual

Looks like a 20 point blowout
I had flashbacks of watching Cyril last year when I saw Martin get stuffed those few times.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Martin is the defensive liability. Maryland might put 100 up with him out there.

Poor kid’s game/athleticism is more short power forward than wing player.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Martin is easily the top rebounder in the game with 11 and is the top shot blocker in the game with 3.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

13-seed Ohio U upsets #4-seed Virginia 62-58

Ohio U will play Creighton
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

The refs seem to be trying to get UConn back in this game. Yet they’re still having trouble closing the gap. UConn’s offense looks terrible. For the last 10 minutes it’s basically been give the ball the bouknight and get out of the way.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Martin is easily the top rebounder in the game with 11 and is the top shot blocker in the game with 3.
Doesn’t help if you can’t guard off the bounce and the guy you’re covering dominates. UConn made its best run with him off the floor.

This is a bad loss for conn. But Maryland has been sneaking wins for the last 40 days.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Hmm.. offense looks familiar.. dribble dribble dribble. Miss shot.. miss free throws. Only difference is how hard uconn defends.. still a loss on the score sheet..
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The Boneyard should be a fun place tonight lol.

A friend of mine who is a huge UConn fan is beyond livid.

Trashing Hurley big time. Tough game this college basketball.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Too bad Maryland didn’t win by 50.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Martin is easily the top rebounder in the game with 11 and is the top shot blocker in the game with 3.
Doesn’t help if you can’t guard off the bounce and the guy you’re covering dominates. UConn made its best run with him off the floor.

This is a bad loss for conn. But Maryland has been sneaking wins for the last 40 days.

Disappointing loss sure, but I wouldn’t say it’s a “bad” loss.

Ohio St losing to Oral Roberts, Virginia losing to Ohio, Purdue losing to North Texas are “bad” losses.

UConn was a 7 seed and a three point favorite over a 10 seed.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

UConn will be loaded next year, especially if Bouknight comes back.

Although I think he's going NBA....quite a few people think he will be a lottery pick.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ram1980 wrote: 3 years ago Hmm.. offense looks familiar.. dribble dribble dribble. Miss shot.. miss free throws. Only difference is how hard uconn defends.. still a loss on the score sheet..
It’s only his 3rd year. Already in the NCAA.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago UConn will be loaded next year, especially if Bouknight comes back.

Although I think he's going NBA....quite a few people think he will be a lottery pick.
His stock took a hit tonight.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I was impressed with Maryland doesn’t beat themselves and play solid D

UConn struggles to score and James B was off. Hurley has to wait another year for his 1st Tournament win at UConn
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago UConn will be loaded next year, especially if Bouknight comes back.

Dan needs to recruit some offensive talent as well as come up with some offensive sets. UCONN reminded me of his Rhody days at times. Lots of standing around dribbling and late shot clock forced offense.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes if James B leaves they will really need to step it up offensively
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago Abou Ousmane dancing for North Texas right now
1st NCAA Win for University of North Texas as the 13-Seed took care of the 4-Seed Big 10 Purdue. 7000 fans in the building most all favoring Purdue - didn't affect UNT.

Freshman Abou Ousmane had a thunderous dunk.

James Reese had 3 steals - the total steals in the game for both teams combined was 6. Reese went a clutch 4-4 FTs, 4-10FG for 13 points and some tremendous clutch defense and leadership. We recruited Reese from JC at the same time we were recruiting Sheppard.

Both players have to be very happy they chose North Texas.

UNT plays the winner of 5-Seed Villanova and 12-Seed Winthrop. This game is up now at 10:15pm
13-seed North Texas with a huge Cinderella opportunity vs 5-seed Villanova Sunday night 8:45pm
Villanova favored by 6 points
Exciting times for James Reese and Abou Ousmane.

15-seed Oral Roberts takes in 7-seed Florida at 7:45pm as ORU also tries for Cinderella in the Sweet 16
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

My favorite player in the tournament so far is Jaquez of UCLA. I’ve seen most of both of their games. The guy is tough and makes winning plays: does a little bit of everything. He’s an ironman, too. He played all 45 minutes Thursday night and only sat for two minutes tonight.
You want a player like that on your team.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Abilene Christian goes up by 5 over Texas in the second half. Lots of time left with 11 minutes but Abilene is gaining confidence!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Abilene up 4 with 1:19 to go Abilene with possession
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What a game!

Joe Pleasant hits 2 FTs with 1 second left and Abilene wins by 1 point!

Pleasant is a 59% FT shooter. He was clutch!

Amazing game.

Clark Kellogg had Texas in his final 4

Abilene Christian will take on UCLA Monday.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

didn't watch the game but Martin 1-10 is not good. glad uconn lost.

and texas...what a disgrace. this was a veteran team. Shaka 0-3 in tourney at Texas. we aren't the only ones that deal with tough times.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

How did I miss the Shaka hair thing? I didn’t recognize him for a few minutes.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

As amazing a recruiting and development story as you will ever read

NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Gonzaga has to be one of the best passing teams I can remember. They make it look effortless in finding the open man. No "hot potato" offense for them!
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

UConn was awful last night. Embarrassing on offense. I'm a Hurley fan but that was rough. Gonzaga looks head and shoulders above everyone else but let's see what happens when things get tight, which will happen at some point.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

UCH21377 wrote: 3 years ago UConn was awful last night. Embarrassing on offense. I'm a Hurley fan but that was rough. Gonzaga looks head and shoulders above everyone else but let's see what happens when things get tight, which will happen at some point.
Yea I thought the Turds were out coaching Hurley by creating lanes to the basket and favorable matchups. Then I realized Hurley was doing the same thing but UConn couldn’t execute. It happens I guess.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago didn't watch the game but Martin 1-10 is not good. glad uconn lost.

and texas...what a disgrace. this was a veteran team. Shaka 0-3 in tourney at Texas. we aren't the only ones that deal with tough times.
6 years at Texas with zero tournament wins.

Would not be shocked at all if he gets fired.
Go Rhody