David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: David Cox

Unread post by reef »

Definetly should not be fired now let’s see how the season plays out and how we do next season if we underperform next season maybe the conversation can be had
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

adam, I've read enough of your posts to know you are much smarter than this...
adam914 wrote: 3 years ago Has anyone really said that Cox should be fired now? I see a lot of people arguing against it, but haven't noticed anyone saying that he should be. I may have missed it, I don't read every post these days.
When a forum member writes something a kin to "I've lost confidence in" so and so, they are calling for a change in command. And if they will write that but will not write the words fired, job, contract etc. they are only hedging. Cox will continue to grow and mature as a HC. He will go from good to very good to great because he is smart and driven, but it won't happen without growing pains. The impatient don't want to suffer these growing pains, these may just be the folks that wanted Ricky boy. Either way it's way too early in DC's career and in the weirdest season (20-21) of circumstances to be calling for a change. If people here (not referring to you, adam) can't see the difference in potential between DC and Mustachio then, I can't even.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rads to me that posters are beginning to see what URI has in David Cox. This is the first step. Next, we need to do something about keeping him here.
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm one of those that is pessimistic about DC's future here, but I am not advocating he be fired now or at the end of this season.

To me, next year will be the tell-all.

I'm sure that Thorr is OK with Cox now, but with an eye on the leash going forward.

There will be a point, hopefully soon, that there will be an ultimatum to dance or else.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago I'm one of those that is pessimistic about DC's future here, but I am not advocating he be fired now or at the end of this season.

To me, next year will be the tell-all.

I'm sure that Thorr is OK with Cox now, but with an eye on the leash going forward.

There will be a point, hopefully soon, that there will be an ultimatum to dance or else.
I am taking the optimistic approach, I expect good things out of this group that Cox brought in.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Going to come down to ultimately how many games Cox wins if we show marked improvement from now til end of next year then he will be here long term if we drastically underperform than anything can happen
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Going to come down to ultimately how many games Cox wins if we show marked improvement from now til end of next year then he will be here long term if we drastically underperform than anything can happen
Another Magic Johnson tweet!

“David Cox will either stay if we wins enough games or he will get fired if he loses too many games.”
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago Going to come down to ultimately how many games Cox wins if we show marked improvement from now til end of next year then he will be here long term if we drastically underperform than anything can happen

“David Cox will either stay if we wins enough games or he will get fired if he loses too many games.”
Isn't that how it works?
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

Isn't that how it works?
Isn't there also he leaves if he wins enough games?
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Definetly should not be fired now let’s see how the season plays out and how we do next season if we underperform next season maybe the conversation can be had
You are not sold that DC can be a successful coach at URI. I am. I believe that if you wait until DC has one year left on his contract, URI will be in a bidding contest to retain his services. If history repeats itself, URI will lose out.
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago Definetly should not be fired now let’s see how the season plays out and how we do next season if we underperform next season maybe the conversation can be had
You are not sold that DC can be a successful coach at URI. I am. I believe that if you wait until DC has one year left on his contract, URI will be in a bidding contest to retain his services. If history repeats itself, URI will lose out.
Are you a clairvoyant?

Because that is the only plausible reason for your posts. They are certainly not based in fact, reality, or knowledge of anything but your undying love for Dave Cox.

Unless you are pulling off the greatest PC troll job on this board, in which case; hat tip.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Trash coach
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago ...
Are you a clairvoyant?

Because that is the only plausible reason for your posts. They are certainly not based in fact, reality, or knowledge of anything but your undying love for Dave Cox.
I know talent when I see it. I have experience hiring people.
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Are you a clairvoyant?

In that case Don’t Quit Your Day Job! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Are you a clairvoyant?

Hahahaha what a hardo statement.

You still gonna defend Cox after this game?

Get a clue.

You sound more unintelligent when it comes to basketball by the post.
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You never extend a coach that hasn't shown he/she can get it done.

Hoping doesn't make it happen.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

I’m convinced this is the best PC troll job to date. This is too perfect of a caricature of a south county bumpkin who hasn’t watched basketball outside of Kingston. The same reason we had Baron for so long.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Looks like we have our new Baron.

It started late last season.

It continues this season.

Will continue imo.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man, you've been following this program since the early days of Baron.

Remember on the projo board there was a time when most of us thought JB was doing a great job?

You know, the year we were 19-3? And then the entire house of cards came crashing down?

Last season Cox had us fooled until late.

By now, there shouldn't be anybody who thinks this is going to end well.

For all his good traits, DC is simply in over his head at this level.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Blue Man, you've been following this program since the early days of Baron.

Remember on the projo board there was a time when most of us thought JB was doing a great job?

You know, the year we were 19-3? And then the entire house of cards came crashing down?

I remember. I believe I was Steveystuds57 back in the projo board days. That was the year we won at Syracuse when Jimmy went off. We then went 2-8 in our last 10 and played our way out of a bid.

At least that team won at Syracuse. What's Cox best win since he took over? Beating VCU?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

As I also remember, there was a certain fan on the board who had an avater, that had him holding up a sign saying "We love Jim Baron".

How things change, huh lol?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Blue Man, you've been following this program since the early days of Baron.

I remember. I believe I was Steveystuds57 back in the projo board days. That was the year we won at Syracuse when Jimmy went off. We then went 2-8 in our last 10 and played our way out of a bid.

At least that team won at Syracuse. What's Cox best win since he took over? Beating VCU?

19-3 year was 2009/2010 with Keith Ulmer Delroy.

Syracuse win was a year or two before that.
Go Rhody
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago I’m convinced this is the best PC troll job to date. This is too perfect of a caricature of a south county bumpkin who hasn’t watched basketball outside of Kingston. The same reason we had Baron for so long.
I’m with you on that. 72 has been negative about everything and suddenly becomes an eternal optimist about a coach that has shown nothing. Probably one of the greatest long term trolls I’ve ever seen.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago As I also remember, there was a certain fan on the board who had an avater, that had him holding up a sign saying "We love Jim Baron".

How things change, huh lol?
I will find the picture but it definitely said “screw Jim Tericani, we love jim baron” in reference to his bullshit reporting about the “highest paid state employee” like it had any merit or context. More anti-tericani than pro-baron.

Also, I was a drunk college kid. Sue me.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hey, we took a chance on hiring an assistant with no HC experience, hoping he would be the second coming of Dan Hurley.

Instead we got the second coming of Jim Baron. Baron had decent talent here at times, but couldn't win with it. And now we have the same.

It's URI after all. Like BM has said, it's in our DNA to have some fleeting success, but have longer periods of suck.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Blue man, just having fun with ya.

Hey, I was happy with him too, for a while.

I remember when Va Tech was sniffing around, and a lot of us didn't want Baron to go.

We all have our crosses to bear.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

19-3 year was 2009/2010 with Keith Ulmer Delroy.

Syracuse win was a year or two before that.
Yes, we were 19-3 in 2009-10 but the first collapse was in 2007-2008 when we were 22nd in the country and 19-3.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Are you a clairvoyant?

Do you work for a publicly traded company? If so, and you hire for that company, I'd like to make sure I don't purchase stock in said company
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We were better with Baron those times [before the collapses] than we've ever been with Cox.

JB was known as a hard worker who was a nice guy too, just like Cox.

That doesn't win games, however.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jim Baron’s first three years here will be more successful than Cox’s.
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The last year has all the traits of the late Baron era, right down to random people joining the board, claiming that they've been a URI fan for life, and talking about how great the coach is despite all results to the contrary
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The biggest sign of poor coaching is a team getting worse as the season goes on.

Last year we went from consensus at large team to not on the bubble.

This year our best game of the season was the fifth game and we've gotten worse from there.

We have bad coaching. Unless things turn around dramatically in the next month and a half it's time to move on
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Blue man, just having fun with ya.

Hey, I was happy with him too, for a while.

I remember when Va Tech was sniffing around, and a lot of us didn't want Baron to go.

We all have our crosses to bear.
Lol compared to Jerry D he was Tom Izzo.

The early 00’s were a really really weird time around here.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago The biggest sign of poor coaching is a team getting worse as the season goes on.

Last year we went from consensus at large team to not on the bubble.

This year our best game of the season was the fifth game and we've gotten worse from there.

We have bad coaching. Unless things turn around dramatically in the next month and a half it's time to move on
Don't be too disappointed because that definitely won't happen
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

So, how long does this mess continue?

How long does URI and Thorr allow this to continue? Another year? 2? 3?

When the fans come back, how many will come back?

BB is the school's flagship sport, the only revenue producer in the athletic dept. And the NCAA money will disappear soon enough without more trips to the dance.

We are going to see just how serious about winning this school really is, sooner than later.

I wish I could say they are serious about it, but I've been a fan too long to know better.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Jim Baron’s first three years here will be more successful than Cox’s.
And Cox had significantly more talent than Baron.

Lmao is it really this bad? We’ve gone from comparing Cox and DH to Cox and Baron.

If you can’t laugh at our pain I feel bad for you.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah if it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

We hired Cox because we could get him on the cheap, and we would keep our recruits.

How did that work out?

Hopefully Thorr learned his lesson when it comes to next hire.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Good thing fans are not allowed at the games this year because if fans were allowed no one would be going. I guess it is a wash.......
In addition to the coaching issue this team is way too casual for long stretches. Sorry that would be another coaching issue.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Martin was invisible again tonight on both ends of the court. For such a strong defensive player he goes for way too many fakes and is out of position as a result. He was hot as a pistol in the Davidson game when he was 4-6 on his 3 point shots. In all the other games he is 5-26. We need better.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Martin was invisible again tonight on both ends of the court. For such a strong defensive player he goes for way too many fakes and is out of position as a result. He was hot as a pistol in the Davidson game when he was 4-6 on his 3 point shots. In all the other games he is 5-26. We need better.
Competition level May be a bit too high for him.

And people wanted Malik over Tyrese, lol.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago So, how long does this mess continue?

BB is the school's flagship sport, the only revenue producer in the athletic dept. And the NCAA money will disappear soon enough without more trips to the dance.

We are going to see just how serious about winning this school really is, sooner than later.

I wish I could say they are serious about it, but I've been a fan too long to know better.
Not sure but his seat isn't even warm at this point.
Similar to the Skinner discussion after he took over for Penders and a run to the Sweet Sixteen.
It took him 5 years to get back to the NCAAT
We lost Owens and Garrick much like EC, Stan, JT, and Jarvis, but his 88-89 (first year) roster also had Leslie, Evans, Green, Colson, Dixon, and Sina.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

Similar to the Skinner discussion after he took over for Penders and a run to the Sweet Sixteen.
We lost Owens and Garrick much like EC, Stan, JT, and Jarvis, but his 88-89 (first year) roster also had Leslie, Evans, Green, Colson, Dixon, and Sina.
Skinner's first team...Eric Leslie never passed and Herb Dixon couldn't pass. Replacing two All Atlantic 10 performers who were seniors and two of the greatest guards in the history of the program (Silk and Tommy) was not possible for a while. That team was doomed. Sina and Bonzie were role players...Kenny could play 25 quality minutes on his knees and John Evans was a solid but not all-league caliber player.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Martin was invisible again tonight on both ends of the court. For such a strong defensive player he goes for way too many fakes and is out of position as a result. He was hot as a pistol in the Davidson game when he was 4-6 on his 3 point shots. In all the other games he is 5-26. We need better.
It's such an enigma with this team. Yes, they're talented. But the talent is rarely geling together. Almost everyone on the roster has had a really solid game at some point this year. Cox has rode the hot hand when it's been there but there really hasn't been much consistency. Can three or four guys work together to get each other going? Outside of a very small handful of examples (including the first half tonight!), so far, no.
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago

Skinner's first team...Eric Leslie never passed and Herb Dixon couldn't pass. Replacing two All Atlantic 10 performers who were seniors and two of the greatest guards in the history of the program (Silk and Tommy) was not possible for a while. That team was doomed. Sina and Bonzie were role players...Kenny could play 25 quality minutes on his knees and John Evans was a solid but not all-league caliber player.
Of course I am not comparing Skinner's team to that of the prior year, just saying the cupboard wasn't bare with some quality players and some depth, probably better or at least similar to what Cox inherited.
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

The rotation needs to be shortened. It’s nice to have depth, but I don’t believe you can win playing 10 guys 10+ minutes. That’s fine early in the season until you see what you’ve got, but once you get into conference play it should really be a settled 7-8 guys.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

PCFriars wrote: 3 years ago The rotation needs to be shortened. It’s nice to have depth, but I don’t believe you can win playing 10 guys 10+ minutes. That’s fine early in the season until you see what you’ve got, but once you get into conference play it should really be a settled 7-8 guys.
I’m worried DC made too many “promises” to players and recruiters. I hope I’m wrong but you can’t keep everyone happy. Could explain the exodus every year here.

But he might have promised certain things and is trying to be a man of his word to give minutes to certain players - thinking he’s doing good for his recruiting ties but losing the forest for the trees in the mean time.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
PCFriars wrote: 3 years ago The rotation needs to be shortened. It’s nice to have depth, but I don’t believe you can win playing 10 guys 10+ minutes. That’s fine early in the season until you see what you’ve got, but once you get into conference play it should really be a settled 7-8 guys.
I’m worried DC made too many “promises” to players and recruiters. I hope I’m wrong but you can’t keep everyone happy. Could explain the exodus every year here.

But he might have promised certain things and is trying to be a man of his word to give minutes to certain players - thinking he’s doing good for his recruiting ties but losing the forest for the trees in the mean time.
Blue Man you may be reading too much into this and over thinking it, lots of speculation.
This team has so many pieces and extremely inconsistent he either hasn't figured it out yet, or just going to rotate the 10 players depending on game situations.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I don’t think you can play 10 guys 10 plus minutes either just go to a solid 9 man rotation
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

Blue Man you may be reading too much into this and over thinking it, lots of speculation.
This team has so many pieces and extremely inconsistent he either hasn't figured it out yet, or just going to rotate the 10 players depending on game situations.
.......what DC better figure out quickly is how to stop loosing games that should be wins; example UMass, Dukes, almost Joes.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I wasn’t hoping that DC would the second coming of Dan Hurley, I was hoping he learned much(maybe not the TO pattern)from his previous coaching jobs along the way and meld it into his own system, style, identity etc on both slides of the ball.......hopes are fading......
Ram logo via Grist 1938