Week #13 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #13 - Games of Interest

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

YESSSSS 4!!!!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

4 OT

I forgot who I’m rooting for :)
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Have to assume everyone understands 1st is better than 2nd. However realism has to set in and projecting what is most likely to happen. We are battling VCU and Richmond for that 2nd spot, so rooting for those teams to lose as many games as possible is what I (and others) think is best. If we wind up knocking off Dayton twice and coming in first well that's obviously ideal and gravy, but the likelihood of that is much less than the likelihood of being the clear cut 2nd best team and securing the almost guaranteed 2nd bid the league will get.
The way we 'battle Richmond and VCU' is to win more games than them. We've already done that.
We win the games we have in front of us, we still won't get first place by ourselves until Dayton loses multiple games.
So, let's get a little help. If we can't beat Davidson twice, we probably don't deserve 1st place, but if someone else does...we might get it anyway.

Playing for second place is such "settling"...kinda gross actually...
Can't imagine that kind of thinking extends beyond us message board "geniuses."

Do you think the players are rooting for Dayton to win or lose?
Your take on this is so simplistic. If Rhody is the best team in the conference they will have two chances vs Dayton to prove it. They don’t need Richmond, Duquesne or anyone else to do their dirty work. That’s what they should be trying to do right. Unless you’re mailing in one of those games vs Dayton? But then what kind of message would we be sending to our players if we don’t think they can beat Dayton twice? Haha!

Knowing that you’re not an unintelligent guy, I am actually starting to think you are just playing everybody here. You can’t possibly believe the gibberish you are spewing.
Last edited by RhodyRam86 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago I'm with Blue Man.

I'm not worried at all about where we finish in the A-10, whether or not we win the regular season championship.

All I'm worried about is making the NCAA tournament.

Why even worry about where we place in the conference when all we want is an NCAA tournament?

I know how some think if we finish second or first we will make the dance, but it's like why think like that opposed to your overall record and how your numbers stack up against everyone else?
So would you recommend the players and coaches think that way as well?

I think 1st place in the A10 after having played a 18 game schedule in the #8 Ranked Conference out of 32 Conferences says a lot.

1st place also gets premium seeding in the A10 Tournament Bracket. If Dayton comes in 2nd place then URI and Dayton would not meet until the Championship Game.
The point of my argument is that by everyone cannibalizing each other we would no longer be the #8 overall conference. We need an elite team to beat and be a marquee win.

Plus, having a chance to beat a top 5 Dayton team on senior day in the Ryan center is so much cooler than having a chance to beat a barely top 25 Dayton team.

If URI comes in 2Nd place then URI and Dayton would not meet until the championship game either.

Also 2nd place gets the 6pm game.

Root for Dayton unless they play Rhody or VCU. That’s what is best for us.
BlueMan,
I agree with you about Dayton being a highly ranked team when we play them. The higher the better. I think it is good publicity for the A10 to have a team or teams in the Top 10 or even Top 5. Just as it is for any Conference to have very highly ranked teams.
But you are the only poster to being that up. What I’m hearing is some want Dayton to beat others so URI can get a hold of second place.
Let’s just keep up one game at a time

A little over 3 weeks ago after Brown and Richmond losses this place was a dumpster fire with some saying the season is over

A lot of season to go. We’ve played 8 games with 10 to go plus the Tournament. An eternity.

One

Game

At

A

Time
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

I'm not worried at all about where we finish in the A-10, whether or not we win the regular season championship.

Why even worry about where we place in the conference when all we want is an NCAA tournament?

I know how some think if we finish second or first we will make the dance, but it's like why think like that opposed to your overall record and how your numbers stack up against everyone else?

I think 1st place in the A10 after having played a 18 game schedule in the #8 Ranked Conference out of 32 Conferences says a lot.

1st place also gets premium seeding in the A10 Tournament Bracket. If Dayton comes in 2nd place then URI and Dayton would not meet until the Championship Game.

Out of curiosity Ramster, What if we come in second and Dayton comes in first. Then when would we meet in the tourney?
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Let’s put it this way. We control our own destiny. If we win the rest of our games we get first place. Win all but one of the Dayton games it’s at least a tie.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago

Out of curiosity Ramster, What if we come in second and Dayton comes in first. Then when would we meet in the tourney?

We could only meet in the A-10 final.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago 4 OT

I forgot who I’m rooting for :)

Rooting for OT!
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Roz wrote: 4 years ago I know we want Alabama to beat LSU. DO WE WANT Duquesne or Dayton?

Depends. If your main concern is the easiest route to the tourney you root for Dayton. If you are like NYG and Ramster you root for Duquesne and if it ends up blowing up in your face you do like NYG does :lol: :lol:
Last edited by RhodyRam86 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In the Championship Game

But Dayton would potentially face the 4-seed, URI would potentially face the 2-seed or 3-seed

So if VCU comes in 3rd we would face them before Dayton

Dayton would play Richmond or Davidson or St Bonaventure or St Louis - whoever comes in 4th

So 1st place has seeding advantages.

Plus 1st in the Conference Regular Season carries weight with it physiologically and also with the Selection Committee.
steviep123
Sly Williams

This Davidson-GW game is fun. GW up 2 with ball under a minute
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

GW with old man shadow boxer during the timeout!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Not looking like a 5th ot
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Let’s put it this way. We control our own destiny. If we win the rest of our games we get first place. Win all but one of the Dayton games it’s at least a tie.
Nope. A split with Dayton and win the rest doesn’t guarantee a tie unless Dayton loses to someone else too.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Not looking like a 5th ot

It was close!
steviep123
Sly Williams

GW wins 107-104 in 4 OTs.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

JAG misses both FTs late in 3rd OT. Davidson had several chances to win it. GW wins in 4 OTs.
“We will be good when we are good.”
steviep123
Sly Williams

SLU up 4 over LaSalle with under a minute to play.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Make it 2. French to the line. 40 secs left.

Air balls the front end
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Tied 31 secs left
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

If we are in a close game with SLU down the line, just foul their asses and there is no way we lose.

Throw Dadika in and let him HACK!
steviep123
Sly Williams

SLU doesn’t get a shot off. OT at Gola arena.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

more ot - woot woot
steviep123
Sly Williams

3rd A10 game tonight to go to OT. Free basketball!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

SLU wins by a point. 77-76. LaSalle had chances to win but several shots and rebounds wouldn’t come close.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

San Diego State was 11 point favorites playing on the road at tough To play at New Mexico
SDSU dominated by 28 points

That’s what top teams do. They demolish and destroy. They don’t play down to the opponent.....they dominate.
SDSU May go undefeated.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

In fairness New Mexico played without 4 starters

Damn you Davidson I had a bet on you and can’t win in 4OT

I had LSU figures they would take care of Alabama at home
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

A game shouldn’t even be recognized as a Win if the team was missing 4 starters lol
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Those same 4 starters did not play in the last New Mexico game either so not like the point spread of 11 did not fully reflect that.
Interesting read on the game. SDSU has now given 3 teams their only home court loss of the season: New Mexico, BYU and Utah State.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sandie ... f_amp=true
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Roz wrote: 4 years ago I know we want Alabama to beat LSU. DO WE WANT Duquesne or Dayton?

Depends. If your main concern is the easiest route to the tourney you root for Dayton. If you are like NYG and Ramster you root for Duquesne and if it ends up blowing up in your face you do like NYG does :lol: :lol:
Not sure what you mean by 'blowing up in your face'... We win, Dayton loses is a plus for us. Having sole possession or even being tied for first with Dayton is not a bad thing <sheesh>. Setting sights on 2nd place or rooting for teams ahead of us to win = Thinking "little". It's just nutty that anyone can think there's a downside to winning the conference outright, and that shooting for second place is better. Show some confidence and aggressiveness for crying out loud. The 'good news' is that the way y'all are rooting on this has no actual impact, thank goodness. :roll:
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago San Diego State was 11 point favorites playing on the road at tough To play at New Mexico
SDSU dominated by 28 points

That’s what top teams do. They demolish and destroy. They don’t play down to the opponent.....they dominate.
SDSU May go undefeated.
They opened the game on a 17-0 run, it was over in the first 4 mins
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

208, I think it's just a case of having realistic expectations for us to aim for 2nd instead of 1st.

Dayton is likely to finish no worse than 16-2 in conference, although they have shown a couple of cracks lately losing late leads on the road against St. Louis and Duquesne.

Our ONLY chance to finish 1st is if we beat them twice imo.

I don't think that's likely, but at least I think we have a decent chance to beat them here.

Their 2 losses imo could well be on the road against VCU and us.

Even if we beat Dayton here, do you think we'll go 16-2?

That's a massive leap of faith for sure. I think 14-4 is realistic [with NO loss to Fordham] and 15-3 is possible, as long as we stay reasonably healthy.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago Today's bubble games

Last bye Depaul at #10 Seton Hall at 6:30 on FS1
Fourth to last in Arizona State is at Washington State at 11 on ESPNU
Last in Texas Tech hosts #12 West Virginia at 8 on ESPN+
Seventh out Xavier hosts Marquette at 8:30 on FS1
DePaul lost 64-57
Arizona State lost 67-65
Texas Tech won 89-81
Xavier lost 84-82 in OT

Bubble teams are 28-34
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago 208, I think it's just a case of having realistic expectations for us to aim for 2nd instead of 1st.

Dayton is likely to finish no worse than 16-2 in conference, although they have shown a couple of cracks lately losing late leads on the road against St. Louis and Duquesne.

I don't think that's likely, but at least I think we have a decent chance to beat them here.

That's a massive leap of faith for sure. I think 14-4 is realistic [with NO loss to Fordham] and 15-3 is possible, as long as we stay reasonably healthy.
Our only chance to finish first is if we beat them twice??? Whatabout if...they had lost to Duquesne and SLU? Which they nearly did. (And if this board had rooted hard enough, they might have?) Then, we'd be in 1st alone and people would look at Rhody as the top of the conference. That, in my opinion, and apparently only ramster's, too...would SEEM to be a good thing...wouldn't it? Right now, Dayton is looked at by 'everybody' as the king of the conference. Let them lose and let it be us. What are we doing, 'drafting' behind Dayton like this is NASCAR or something? Run in front!

ETA: Just because this is so much fun...while Dayton looks great...who the eff have they beaten that we couldn't beat? (And for as much as they almost beat KU and CSU, they just as much 'almost lost' to Duq and sloo). Yes, they look great, but let's not just 'assume' they are better than us and that 'the reality is...', or ' most likely is...' that we're "no better than a second-in-the-A10 runner-upper."

We have no reason to think anything less than, 'we can beat them and other teams can , too. We should allow this. Repeat after me: URI is the class of this year's A10, and the sooner we take the lead, the better. And, if that takes the Flyuhz having a "Richmond' experience like we did...let's get it done asap, so we can spend more time as the recognized head of the conference.
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Limited action for Thursday night with no games in the A-10 and only three contests involving URI OOC opponents:

Western Kentucky at Florida Atlantic, 7 PM.

#18 Iowa at #15 Maryland, 8:30 PM. On BTN.

Middle Tennessee at UTEP, 9 PM. On ESPN+.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Tonight on the bubble

Third to last bye BYU vs Pepperdine at 8:30 on CBSSN
Fourth out Minnesota at #19 Illinois at 7:30 on FS1
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago 208, I think it's just a case of having realistic expectations for us to aim for 2nd instead of 1st.

Our only chance to finish first is if we beat them twice??? Whatabout if...they had lost to Duquesne and SLU? Which they nearly did. (And if this board had rooted hard enough, they might have?) Then, we'd be in 1st alone and people would look at Rhody as the top of the conference. That, in my opinion, and apparently only ramster's, too...would SEEM to be a good thing...wouldn't it? Right now, Dayton is looked at by 'everybody' as the king of the conference. Let them lose and let it be us. What are we doing, 'drafting' behind Dayton like this is NASCAR or something? Run in front!
I guess if you think we are ultimately better than Dayton, then yeah we should hope to finish first.

I don't think we are [and that's not being negative, just realistic]…..but I guess anything's possible.

Considering where we were after Richmond, I think I'm pretty happy where we are now....but winning tomorrow is BIG....not a must must win...but pretty close to it.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Winning tomorrow will be evidence of consistency; an ingredient required to be a contender and tournament worthy.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

If they had lost to Duquesne and SLU they probably drop to a borderline Q2 game for us at home. That would hurt URI. I don’t want to raise a conference championship banner if it means sacrificing an NCAA birth.

If we beat Dayton twice and finish in first at 17-1, with Dayton at 16-2, HELL YES. Say hello to probably the highest seed URI will have ever seen.

If the A10 turns into the hunger games and we take first with a few losses but now all the remaining teams aren’t in the top 30 - we lose any guarantee of a tournament at large with a lack of Q1 wins. You’re still depending on an auto bid in Brooklyn to feel safe.

The goals for this program are bigger than the A10 conference, or local rivalries.

The goal of this program at this point in time is NCAA at large. You need Q1 wins to get that. You need Q1 games to get Q1 wins. You cannot get Q1 games if you don’t have highly ranked teams on your schedule.

If we start to stumble, then let’s start to root for preferential seeding in Brooklyn. Right now we’re playing our way in. Root for Rhody to get a chance to take down an undefeated Dayton.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The next opponents for GW and Davidson are going to get some tired teams to play.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The probability of Rhody making the Tournament is 78% right now.
The probability of Rhody winning the A10 Regular season title is less than 20%.
It’s really that simple.
200 post to NYG and he still continues to argue. Everyone else must be wrong and he is right. Stubborn old man 😜
“We will be good when we are good.”
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

If we beat Dayton twice and finish in first at 17-1, with Dayton at 16-2, HELL YES. Say hello to probably the highest seed URI will have ever seen.
Out of curiosity what is the highest seed in NCAA URI has ever had? Is it 7?
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago
Out of curiosity what is the highest seed in NCAA URI has ever had? Is it 7?
JK googled it. 7 is the highest seed
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

If they had lost to Duquesne and SLU they probably drop to a borderline Q2 game for us at home. That would hurt URI. I don’t want to raise a conference championship banner if it means sacrificing an NCAA birth.

If the A10 turns into the hunger games and we take first with a few losses but now all the remaining teams aren’t in the top 30 - we lose any guarantee of a tournament at large with a lack of Q1 wins. You’re still depending on an auto bid in Brooklyn to feel safe.

The goals for this program are bigger than the A10 conference, or local rivalries.

The goal of this program at this point in time is NCAA at large. You need Q1 wins to get that. You need Q1 games to get Q1 wins. You cannot get Q1 games if you don’t have highly ranked teams on your schedule.

If we start to stumble, then let’s start to root for preferential seeding in Brooklyn. Right now we’re playing our way in. Root for Rhody to get a chance to take down an undefeated Dayton.
Do we REALLY think that it's possible we could win the A10 and NOT get an at large? The team that wins the A10 regular season will receive an at large bid, i.e., will reach the goal highlighted above...an NCAA at large. Wager: If a non-Fly-uhz team wins the conference and does get an at large, you buy me a six pack, if it doesn't, I'll buy you a case. Chances are practically nil that the team winning the A10 doesn't get an automatic ('the goal').

The talk about going for second is around 'reality probably is etc...', but I would say, there's no way we win the A10 and DO NOT get an at-large.
I don't care what happens to every other team in the conference, that's not happening. just my humble opinion, of course
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ramster, glad yer wit me on this one....now, if we could only get you to flip yer view on PC.... ;)
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Do we REALLY think that it's possible we could win the A10 and NOT get an at large? The team that wins the A10 regular season will receive an at large bid, i.e., will reach the goal highlighted above...an NCAA at large. Wager: If a non-Fly-uhz team wins the conference and does get an at large, you buy me a six pack, if it doesn't, I'll buy you a case. Chances are practically nil that the team winning the A10 doesn't get an automatic ('the goal').

The talk about going for second is around 'reality probably is etc...', but I would say, there's no way we win the A10 and DO NOT get an at-large.
I don't care what happens to every other team in the conference, that's not happening. just my humble opinion, of course
Yes. It literally happened to the Bonnies 4 years ago.

If Rhody beats a good Dayton team, once or twice, there is a better chance not only of an at-large bid, but of a better seed.

If Rhody beats a decent Dayton team, once or twice, there is less of a chance of an at-large bid or a better seed.

No where on the selection sheet does it say where you finished in your conference. Only who you beat and who you lost to.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

That Bonnie’s team had a weak OOC schedule if I recall.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

In 15-16 the Bonnies were co-regular season champs (technically 3rd place). They played one p-5/big east team @Syracuse and lost by 13. Best win was beat #15 dayton. Lost in the quarter finals of the a10 tournament. Finished 22-8 . Lost to Wagner in the first round of the NIT. Underwhelming season honestly if we expect to compare that team to URI this season.
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

They Bonnie team also lost to Hofstra and Siena in the non conference.

They make it a habit to have at large crushing losses early.

I mean this year they have a win over Rutgers where they DOMINATED them.

Too bad they fumbled out of the gate so bad, otherwise they'd be in alright shape.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Yes. It literally happened to the Bonnies 4 years ago.

If Rhody beats a good Dayton team, once or twice, there is a better chance not only of an at-large bid, but of a better seed.

If Rhody beats a decent Dayton team, once or twice, there is less of a chance of an at-large bid or a better seed.

No where on the selection sheet does it say where you finished in your conference. Only who you beat and who you lost to.

4 years ago, when there was a 3 way tie for first...
My wager offer stands - for anyone. A non-Dayton team wins the conference and gets an automatic bid, I get a sixer.
A non-Flyers team wins the conference and doesn't get an automatic bid...they get a case.